"Get Tannen!" REVIEW thread

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Yeah, it's nice seeing her posts here and there. She always makes posts that I can respect, and I missed seeing her around. =P

Yep, she really brought customer service to new levels, and has great communication skills, but I really don't want to steer this thread too off topic.
  • edited February 2011
    My personal review.

The puzzles were BETTER than episode 1, but still a little too easy. I did have to use hints, but only when something went wrong(such as I couldnt see the reporter escaping during Biff's shootout)

The lipsyncing to me was defenently off.

Good story as always telltale, bravo there.

Not telltale's best at foreshadowing. In the Devils playhouse, the game forshadowed Max's fate from the very begining, here it was flat-out obvious what would screw everything up in the end.

Overall, a good game, but I wish telltale would bump up the difficulty.
  • edited February 2011
    Not telltale's best at foreshadowing. In the Devils playhouse, the game forshadowed Max's fate from the very begining, here it was flat-out obvious what would screw everything up in the end.

That's because in the case of BttF there is no forshadowing needed. People familiar with the movies know that time travel always lead to problems. It was excepted things wouldn't go as smoothly as planned.
  • edited February 2011
    Lengthwise; it FELT longer to me even if it wasn't. More scenery, more places to go, more characters, but I guess the same amount & difficulty level of puzzles.

Storywise; brilliant! And I have to disagree with Rather Dashing here completely. The previous interactions DID have an effect. Edna respects Marty more, so much so that she says she doesn't want to make an article about Marty even when she knows he has a deal to do with Doc's jail break. It makes complete sense that Emmeth doesn't give a damn about the affair about the rocket drill, since during the construction of it Emmeth was able to go against his father to continue his own science experiments later on. It was only possible thanks to Marty. Again, Emmeth respects Marty too and now it's not because he thinks he's from the patent office.

Another little anectode I'd like to blabber about;
    Biff's brothers! Hell yes! That was some clever writing there. The way Marty defeats them is still weak in terms of a puzzle, but it's pretty enjoyable to watch. Well, it would be even more entertaining with better animations and all. I also find it funny that to restore the timeline and save his existence, Marty had to erase Biff's brothers from existence. Marty actually killed (or prevented the birth of) 2 Tannen family members and probably even more. But it's OKAY since they were TANNENS -and not so well-developed I'd like to add-. Double standarts I'd say.

Puzzlewise? Just lacking. I started to see this game as something different rather than an adventure.
  • edited February 2011
    Well, I LOVED the story and characters. The actual game, on the other hand...

Honestly, calling it a "game" is really kind of pushing it. It's more like a movie where you have to click something every once in a while. Knocked it out in just under two hours last night after it launched. Even with all the hint and goal systems turned off, this game is just waaaay too easy. Doesn't even feel like I'm doing anything anymore.
  • edited February 2011
    Just to throw in a thought or two, one of my all time favourite things about the structure of Back to the Future storylines is the continuous progression of minor victory followed by effectively making things MUCH MUCH worse - and then rising above that challenge only to make things even worse again. It happens all through the trilogy and it is happening constantly in the game, particularly episode 2. Grateful that the developers have picked up on this very Back-to-the-future-esque structure. It's a highlight for me.

Other mentionables, calling the goon Zane was a nice touch, I laughed out loud for that one, the Melies reference; wonderful little details. Also, Doc trying to explain timelines A through E was a wonderful scene.

It's obviously a bit weird as an "adventure game" but I figure there are loads of more puzzley-head-whacking-against-wall adventure games out there for thems-that-needs it. I'm hoping that as the episodes progress there is a better marriage of true-difficulty and fun, but as a Back to the Future "experience", top marks. Marty lives...

Nice work guys and girls! Have a drink :)
  • edited February 2011
    I was hoping this episode would provide a significant improvement over the first one. The first one needed to start a bit slow to allow for people who don't usually play adventure games to get started. Unfortunately this one feels the same way in terms of gameplay, probably even easier, and wasn't as much of a treat for bttf fans. So I guess I'm a bit disappointed with barely over 2 hours of gameplay and no real head-scratcher for me. It wasn't bad, I guess I was just hoping for more.

I hope episode 3 will be where things start to really rock. It certainly looks like it could be a lot of fun.
  • edited February 2011
    I seem to be the only person who was called by the name I selected (Corleone) the whole way though both episodes. :s
  • edited February 2011
    Origami wrote: »
    That's because in the case of BttF there is no forshadowing needed. People familiar with the movies know that time travel always lead to problems. It was excepted things wouldn't go as smoothly as planned.

Yeah I knew things would go wrong, but I mean telltale has good foreshadowing of WHAT will go wrong, not if.
    In The Devils Playhouse, the game foreshadowed that Max would meat a hideous end in one of the best and clever ways possible. You could go through the game, and not even get one bit of the foreshadowing telltale showed, because of how cleverly hidden it was, here it was obvious Emmet and the reporter(dont know her name) would cause issues
  • edited February 2011
    WAY too easy this time around, but brilliant story, great voice work, great graphics style and the puzzles were smart and fun despite their simplicity. Loved it, but hope it gets harder, or at least takes a little longer next time. I didn't get stuck once this time, which isn't bragging because I got stuck A LOT on the first.
  • edited February 2011
    Quig wrote: »
    I seem to be the only person who was called by the name I selected (Corleone) the whole way though both episodes. :s

I was Sonny Crockett the whole time, and that's the name I picked on this PC.
  • edited February 2011
    I was called every possible name option randomly throughout the game. I actually thought it was a joke that Telltale did considering the mess-up in episode one. Guess not!

Aside from that and a few other glitches I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. I liked the "password" puzzle. It was silly, but fun. I'm excited for episode three.
  • edited February 2011
    Cath wrote: »
    I was Sonny Crockett the whole time, and that's the name I picked on this PC.

Same here also.
  • edited February 2011
    I was called Corleone consistently throughout the second episode, even though I picked Callahan in the last one. I guess the game got tired of me trying to entertain myself by saying Dirty Harry lines wherever I could make them somewhat fit.
  • edited February 2011
    Just beat it.

Much better than Episode 1. Still a bit too easy, but there was some level of challenge and it stayed there consistently throughout the episode, so I can't complain.

I wish you'd use your inventory more often, though. The Devil's Playhouse didn't have many inventory-dependent puzzles either, but there it made sense because you had The Toys of Power, which amounted to a second inventory full of things much more fun to mess around with.
    It seems Marty's carrying around all this stuff just for Einstein to smell it.

I'm looking forward to Episode 3.
    That teaser...
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah basically its a good game, but telltale REALLY needs to bump up the difficulty please.
    The way the third episode will play out looks good, but I want to see some improvements on puzzles.
  • edited February 2011
    Besides the few things people like to cry about, because an imaginary universe needs to be perfect, but I honestly thought the story exceeded my expectations. TellTale Games made me remember why I was a huge PC gamer back in the 90's growing up as a teen. Makes me want to get back into adventure games and see what else is out there. Honestly thoroughly enjoyed this episode though and for the price and the nostalgia you can't ever put a price on that. Great job!
  • edited February 2011
    Finally the very anticpated episode 2 is here, yet im having some issues with the game =[ This is heavy!
  • edited February 2011
    Just beat it myself, definitely an improvement over the first episode.

I liked the overall length of the game much better. The storytelling and pacing was really nice. A lot better action too.
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah the puzzles are kinda weak sauce, easy.. but man it's quite a ride..
  • edited February 2011
    I was extremely disappointed when the DeLorean was returning to 1931 that old Kid Tannen didn't say "A flying DeLorean? What the hell is going on here‽" :(
  • edited February 2011
    Honestly anyone who complains about this game and cannot appreciate or enjoy the sheer amount of work that had to go into creating this, are in my opinion, folks that are not true BTTF fans and also lack any sense of nostalgia.

Consideringing that by today's standards BTTF is a quickly aging franchise that has not had anything to reignite its fire in sometime, everyone should be happy that Telltate and Universal decided to even give (what I would imagine in their eyes a pretty big gamble) a green light to produce and fund this adventure series in the first place.

The stars must have definitely aligned and I for one am extremely thankful to be able to visit the BTTF universe once again and enjoy the sights and sounds and new stories presented.

Thank you to everyone involved in the project at Telltate and Universal, and as I have just finished "Get Tannen!" cannot wait to enjoy the rest of the episodes. To me, the writing is superb and in the spirit of BTTF. I enjoyed this episode just as much as the first one.
  • edited February 2011
    I liked the 1st person puzzles, Trixie, and
    the Tannen Gang+Old Kid
    a lot! I found the speakeasy songs to be very well-done as well.

I had hoped to see more good development from Officer Parker, though, I felt like his character wasn't living up to his potential (
    but I guess that'll be taken care of later on since we seem be headed back to 1931 eventually--hope it doesn't get stale
    )

Some of the "action" sequences felt a bit dry, too. The final one, in particular, I expected much more from after the "boss" encounters in S&M and Monkey Island.
  • edited February 2011
    One thing i don't get is that if Kid goes to jail in 1931 how is Biff born. Doing the math he would have to be born somewhere between 1936-1938. They showed if Kid does not go to jail that Biff would have two brother. Any ideas
  • edited February 2011
    The episode was pretty good. I'm loving the story. The puzzles aren't Sideways-Batman-Maniac-Mansion difficult, which is nice. Marty doesn't seem like the kind of guy that we would want to play that would be smart enough to solve complex puzzles, that seems more like Doc's area. Seeing as we don't play as him, it makes sense in my eyes that the puzzles are simplistic enough.

Also.....
    The DeLorean both rear-ended a car in Biffhorrific 1986 and crashed into a giant billboard in FCB1986 in the space of hypothetically 2 hours...how is it that the time circuits or the flux bands or the entire rear deck is unharmed?

All in all though, awesome episode! Can't wait for PART 3 of BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE GAME. =D
  • edited February 2011
    One thing i don't get is that if Kid goes to jail in 1931 how is Biff born. Doing the math he would have to be born somewhere between 1936-1938. They showed if Kid does not go to jail that Biff would have two brother. Any ideas

I was explained in the first episode by Doc that Kid escaped prison for about three hours. As Marty said, "Sounds like a busy three hours."
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited February 2011
    Seether wrote: »
    Honestly anyone who complains about this game and cannot appreciate or enjoy the sheer amount of work that had to go into creating this, are in my opinion, folks that are not true BTTF fans and also lack any sense of nostalgia.

Honestly anyone who praises this game but fails to take into account that lots of other people might have wanted a game instead of a fourth movie, and is subsequently actually doubting that these people still love the original movie triology, has left the path of wisdom.

Okay, REVIEW TIME.

The opening of the second episode left me breathless with disappointment. For the first 40 minutes of of the game, Marty can't actually move. Furthermore, everything he needs to progress keeps being dropped in front of his nose, and I mean that literally. As much as I love a well-placed action sequence in TTG's endeavours, "Get Tannen" not only has too many of them, but they also seriously lack creativity. "Move twice around the DeLorean" or "click twice on the box" are actual puzzle solutions. The icons in the upper right actually blocked Marty's face in the opening sequence (resolution 1280x1024). I hate these things, honestly. And a third scene in this entire game where you were supposed to SEE Lorraine had no Lorraine in it, again.

After said 40 minutes I was pretty enraged, but then there was actual gameplay when we were finally back in 1931. I was really disappointed that an emotional moment of episode 1, when Marty tells Emmett that he is in fact there to steal his invention, is reduced to nothing because Emmett just doesn't seem to care anymore. The speakeasy puzzles weren't actually complex, but at least I got a small hint as to why I liked TTG's games in the first place. Facial animation was good, I liked Parker and Trixie as characters, I liked Artie's little secret, music-based puzzles are my favourites, so this was actually a rather happy half-hour I had with the game.

Sadly, the finale dissolves into not much thought-out action sequences again (where it's not only the dumb repetition of the same action that gets you forward, but things Marty needs also keep falling in front of his nose).

Was there actually NEW music in this one? I kept hearing repetitions of the first episode's music. I hope I misheard. :(

"Get Tannen" is rather different than the first episode, but sadly, scores an equal 3/10 points on my personal scale.
  • edited February 2011
    I was pretty excited when playing. I enjoyed the locations, the voice acting and the visuals.

There is however a pretty big point of criticism for both episodes so far.
    I've got the feeling that the game is trying to be something it's not, a movie.
    The game kinda plays itself and we are watching a story unfold. However, the animations and facial features are too bland and hokey to really get into the story.
    This wouldn't be too bad if the gameplay was any good, but as a game it's too easy and linear.

Here we are left with a mixed bag which doesn't work as any of the things it tries to be.
    The animation and action is just to hokey for a good movie, and the gameplay is too bland and linear to be a good game.

The story, however, is pretty good. The voice acting and design are really good as well.
    I just think that Telltale needs to choose on what they want to be.
    A company that makes excellent games, or a company that makes good animated movies. The mix just doesn't really do it for me.
  • edited February 2011
    It would be one of the worst animated movie ever, though. So really, they should pick one and get 100% on it, while making both a bad game and a bad movie.
  • edited February 2011
    I had the 3 names switching during the whole episode.

Edna : Crockett

Young doc : Micheal

Others : Harry

Very consistent so far.

edit : Crap, sorry for the double post.
  • edited February 2011
    I loved this episode. So far it's really good and captures the true essence of the films. I too was expecting Old Kid Tannen to use the line "A flying Delorean, what the hell is going on here". But I'm kind of glad he didn't. They use so many jokes and references to the films, it was actually nice to not get what was expected. Although, I was surprised by the "When this baby hits 23 mph" line.

Only ONE disappointment. You can't fail. At a critical moment, I think it would be cool when choosing the wrong response or action causes you to fail and create a universe destroying paradox (or keep it localized to our galaxy) or just erase someone from existence :)
  • edited February 2011
    I don't know how Kid Tannen saying "A Flying Delorean" would make sense. How would he even know what a Delorean is?

The game was very good, but I hope to see more time periods in the future. The only puzzle that got me stumped was for awhile was convincing Trixie, otherwise I solved them pretty quickly and easily.

There is another glitch I noticed, when Marty offers Edna the gun lighter, the scenes become framed weird with both of their faces cut off by half the screen.

The next episode looks good. I wonder if Doc still invented the time machine in this timeline? If not, it's odd that Doc would disappear and the time machine wouldn't.
  • edited February 2011
    When I started with the free episode I was really impressed how much it felt like a true BTTF-Story. I liked the hidden details in the conversations and I liked to play a story with having some questions in my mind and waiting for them to get answered, like "Why 1930's?". The free episode was my first TTG-Game. Close to the end of the free episode I decided to buy the entire season. And after finishing the first episode und starting with the second, I really had a lot of fun. I was curious about the story and couldn't wait to find out where Marty and Doc will end up after the second episode. I really liked how the story developed. The end of the 2nd episode was a nice twist in the plot. Marty and Doc thought everything would be fine in 1986 but the little detail at the end of their mission in the past changed everything.. again!
    Now I can't wait for the 3rd episode and Im really excited to see the changed timeline.
    But I wish there will be just a final trip back to the 1930's. Its not like I didnt like the 30's but I would like to travel back to some timelimes from the movies (2015 maybe, because we still dont know how there is a flying delorean from that timeline and how Doc get the flying delorean) and also find Clara and Doc's Kids (in the past or in the future).
    I really really love this game and I am really grateful for TTG making this game. But I'm missing the link between the end of the 3rd movie and the game itself. Yes we know how the life of Marty was without Doc, but we don't know where Doc and his Family was and why Doc travelled back to the 1930's and where (or should I say 'when' xD) he left his wife and his Kids. And of course the link to the delorean, which shouldn't exist after the 3rd movie and whether Doc used the time travelling train to get back to the 1930's or not.
    The end of the 2nd episode was also kind of confusing. Has Doc invented the time machine or not? Did he had all the adventures (in the movies) with Marty?

I hope TTG will give us some clear answeres within the next episodes.
    Uh and btw: I thing the game itself feels like getting 3 more Movies or so. I think the first two episodes would make a 4th movie and we will start with a 5th movie with the next episode. Thats how the game feels for me and Im really happy with that.
    Ok, thats all right now. Now I need to know WHEN the 3rd Episode will launch :-D

Oh, and Im sorry if something I wrote is unclear or sounds weird. My english is not perfect ;-)
  • edited February 2011
    jweir wrote: »
    A little off topic, but hey Emily, nice to see you again!

Back to the topic at hand though, I thought it was a great episode and
    I actually found the pass phrase part enjoyable even though it was a gripe to others
    . I thought the implementation of the "scene search" (for lack of a better term) was very neat and a new ability of the Telltale Tool. I also liked the nod to
    Sam and Max
    although quite obscure. Overall a great episode with great pacing. To those complaining about the lack of difficulty, I really think you'd alienate most of the Back to the Future fanbase if you made it much harder. There were still a few times when I had to scratch my head, and especially considering that most were after a sandbox game, you don't want to discount them completely as it's still income.
    Bravo for your sarcasm. :)
  • edited February 2011
    jar-guy wrote: »
    I don't know how Kid Tannen saying "A Flying Delorean" would make sense. How would he even know what a Delorean is?

They're talking about Old Kid Tannen in 1986, who would be well aware of the existence of DeLoreans.
  • edited February 2011
    Just want to say that I liked it. Sure, it's easier than previous games but I think that suits the source material. Frankly, there won't be a better Back to the Future game than these episodes.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited February 2011
    Sadly, there won't be a better Back to the Future game than these episodes.

Fixed!
  • edited February 2011
    I stand by what I said.
  • edited February 2011
    According to Steam, I finished this episode in 1 hour and 33 minutes. There are basically 2 locations, the square and the speak-easy (any segments which only involve crawling around stuff don't count I think). Very disappointing.
  • edited February 2011
    After such a lot of people mentioned all the negatives, I think it is time for a more positive view.

And episode 2 is a huge improvement over the first.

50% more entertaining value (3 hours instead of 2)
    100% more puzzles (which was practically given as episode 1 was seriously lacking)

And Hill Valley is no longer a ghost town.
    Now you can see people in the background and cars passing through.
    And the speakeasy is also filled with people, who have nothing to do with the plot.(Well okay so 3 random citizens isn't really that much..but at least there were some)

And considering the low expectations I had after the 1st episode, this was a positive surprise.

If telltale can keep this rate of improvements up, episode 4 will promise to be a great game.

(Yes that means my expectations for episode 3 are still low...but hey, I might get surprised again ;) )
Sign in to comment in this discussion.