Troodon speculation thread!

Comments

• edited March 2011
    robotpo wrote: »
    Interesting...where is this from?

The troodon's artist as I checked out:

http://www.expressionimage.com/
  • edited March 2011
    Joined the forums just for the ability to post this reply. I figured out what the new dino is....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinornithosaurus
  • edited March 2011
    SyByN wrote: »
    Joined the forums just for the ability to post this reply. I figured out what the new dino is....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinornithosaurus

What makes you think so? A Telltale animator already revealed that it's a Troodon in an interview.

Edit: *Reads section of article on venomous bite*

Oh.
  • edited March 2011
    SyByN wrote: »

Well, youre too late and wrong, its confirmed that its Troodon!
  • edited March 2011
    Sadonicus wrote: »

They look pretty similar anyway.
  • edited March 2011

Now I'm not so sure. Did you look at the article he/she posted?
    In 2009, a team of scientists led by Empu Gong examined a well-preserved Sinornithosaurus skull, and noted several features suggesting it was the first-identified venomous dinosaur. Gong and colleagues noted that the unusually long and fang-like mid-jaw (maxillary) teeth had prominent grooves running down the outer surface, towards the rear of the tooth, a feature seen only in venomous animals. They also interpreted a cavity in the jaw bone just above these teeth as the possible site for the soft-tissue venom gland. Gong and colleagues suggested that these unique features indicated that Sinornithosaurus may have specialized in hunting small prey such as birds, using its long fangs to penetrate feathers and envenomate and stun the prey, like a modern snake.

And quite frankly the dinosaur in the recently released video looks a heck of a lot more like a Sinornithosaurus than a Troodon.

Maybe both are in the game?

Edit: The Sinornithosaurus was really small though. The creature in the video was more Troodon-sized. And Troodons are thought to been nocturnal.

I really don't know.
  • edited March 2011

Hadn't heard that. I saw there had been speculation it was a troodon, but never any confirmation.

By the way, that's quite the "how do you do?" Much appreciated, chief.
  • edited March 2011
    Now I'm not so sure. Did you look at the article he/she posted?

And quite frankly the dinosaur in the recently released video looks a heck of a lot more like a Sinornithosaurus than a Troodon.

Maybe both are in the game?

Edit: The Sinornithosaurus was really small though. The creature in the video was more Troodon-sized. And Troodons are thought to been nocturnal.

I really don't know.

I'm a he, by the way. But I concede that some of the signs point to habits displayed by troodons. The one thing that sparked my search for the Sinornithosaurus was that newest vid on IGN where they mention the new species being one of the most fascinating dinosaurs in the fossil records. Sinornithosaurus is a relatively recent find. Troodon skeletons have been found and studied for years and there has never been any speculation of a venomous bite in that species. Now with this new species there is heavy debate and study being done into a potentially venomous bite.

Mentioning that troodons are closer in size to the dinosaur shown in the videos is valid, with certainty. However, Telltale is not just looking for paleontological accuracy, but also staying true to the established source material and its erroneous portrayal of some species of dinosaurs. The Rex being only able to see motion, the dilophosaurus and its neck frill and poisonous saliva etc. Most importantly look at the size error and structure errors for the Velociraptors. Both in size and appearance they are nothing like actual Velociraptors. They are shown as the raptors dromeosaurid cousin, the Deinonychus. Couldn't Telltale have used actual fossil records mixed with knowingly incorrect size and physical attributes in creating a video game representation of Sinornithosaurus?

Makes sense to me, seeing as how you can still see they are using the neck frills and poisonous spit for the Dilophosaurus.

And if Hollywood has taught us anything, sometimes spilling forth false leaks to the interwebz and media outlets is a good way to lead people off the trail to retain an element of surprise that could otherwise be ruined with further digging and speculation by the general public.
  • edited March 2011
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23465

Nick revealed it in this interview! While I tried to find the excact moment, I couldnt find it, they actually changed the interview afterwards. So he really wasnt supposed to say it :)

Also, Sinornithosaurus is hard to spell and Troodon have some kind of prestige in the dinosaur-community!
  • edited March 2011
    Maybe they're combining the characteristics of the two dinosaurs into one creature and just calling it a Troodon because it's easier to say, like they sort of did with the Velociraptor and the Deinonychus in the films.
  • edited March 2011
    That seems logical to me. They really have a tendency to combine aspects of different dinos and forming these new "hybrids" of sorts.

There was a toy line back in the 90s that were literally genetic splices of two different dinosaurs. There was an akylosaurus/pteranodon mix, some sort of obscure sauropod crossed with and obscure aquatic reptile and I believe some weird cross between some carnivorous species as well. You think they might have taken a page from that toy line and combined the two species in a more subtle way?

The Jurassic Park series of films has a major habit of embellishing. I've always been irritated at the velociraptor thing, but meh.

None of us are honestly going to know for sure until the game comes out. I personally think that the sinornithosaurus is a likely candidate based around what we've heard about venom and a roughly similar size.

I have a hard time thinking they used a troodon, when they are so structurally similar to the raptors. The enlarged toe claw, the intelligence and pack mentality. That's been done before. Plus, why would that add on a poisonous bite meant to immobilize their prey when they've already got numbers, decent size, hyper intelligence (considering) and more than adequate methods of killing their prey?

Just doesn't add up to a troodon to me, but what do I know?
  • edited March 2011
    We get a short glimpse of one in the IGN preview. They're quite small, though still quite scary.
  • edited March 2011
    Here's a picture I got from the video. I think that it's not too shabby (except for the play button) and you can make out the dinosaur pretty well. Let me know your opinions. I think it almost looks like a crocodile. I thought it was interesting that it's jawline appears to go all the way to the back of its head. It has a blue/purplish tongue too. It could be how the dinosaur really appears in the game or it could also be a hallucination, as someone stated earlier.
    jp_the_game_by_ghansen89-d3ch5m5.png
  • edited March 2011
    i think it looks creepy. Looking at it in a still frame kinda makes it look weird and silly. But that part in the video where she's backing towards the cliff and these things moving slowly towards her with those eyes. man, must admit they were creepy.
  • edited March 2011
    Yeah, they do seem pretty creepy. It reminds me of the komodo dragon or other small venomous snakes that bite their prey, wait, and then attack when it is weak or dead. It also looks like it has one of those bumps/horns on the end of its nose like ornitholestes or ceratosaurus. I'm not sure what kind of smaller dinosaurs have that feature.
  • edited March 2011
    i think it looks creepy. Looking at it in a still frame kinda makes it look weird and silly. But that part in the video where she's backing towards the cliff and these things moving slowly towards her with those eyes. man, must admit they were creepy.

Maybe we're never supposed to get a good look at it in the game? Maybe they just designed it so that it would look as creepy as possible at a glance as it flashes across the screen in the shadows. It's just so weird.

I'm definitely even more interested in the game now after watching the video. I can't wait to find out just what the hell is going on with this thing.
  • edited March 2011
    We must also keep in mind that they have posion bites that cause you to see things. They may appear creepier affter being bitten by them. Kind of like Scarcrow from batman begins. He looks silly with that mask on but one wiff of that toxin and boom! he's creepy as hell
  • edited March 2011
    Found some facts about the Trodoon. Now that's a predator!:eek:

- could possibly see at night
    - could probably see stereoscopically
    - some scientists say it's the most developed dinosaur species, with a similiar intelligence to today's birds
    - had a relatively large brain
    - had a distinctive sense of smell
  • edited March 2011
    Man i like the idea of a new dinosaur and all but from that video the Troodon looks weird as hell...it looks like a metallic skeleton with light bulb eyes.
  • edited March 2011
    The new dinosaur been venomous and how such venomous works is clearly a nod to the novels "Compys", Procompsognathus.
  • edited March 2011
    Dr.Dino wrote: »
    The new dinosaur been venomous and how such venomous works is clearly a nod to the novels "Compys", Procompsognathus.

It's Troodon. He said it in the interview. Although I wish they would have put in some novel canon.
  • edited March 2011
    FPug wrote: »
    It's Troodon. He said it in the interview. Although I wish they would have put in some novel canon.

I wasn't saying the new dinosaur is Procompsognathus, just that it been venomous and what not is inspired by the novels' Compys.
  • edited March 2011
    Dr.Dino wrote: »
    I wasn't saying the new dinosaur is Procompsognathus, just that it been venomous and what not is inspired by the novels' Compys.

Oh, sorry. That is SO true though.
  • edited March 2011
    Considering that Nima's already been bitten when they're coming after her in the video, the creepy appearance could be a hallucination...

FPug: They CAN'T use the novels as direct inspiration. They only have the license for the films.
  • edited March 2011

FPug: They CAN'T use the novels as direct inspiration. They only have the license for the films.

I know ....
  • edited March 2011
    I'm excited to see this pan out.
  • edited March 2011
    Many people think it might be a cross-breed of a Dilophosaurus and a Troodon.

Think about it! The small size and scavenger-like qualities of a Troodon and the venom of Dilophosaurus (and maybe some venom of a Troodon?)
  • edited March 2011
    Hello everyone, im new to the forums and preordered the game as im a huge fan of JP and telltale games but i noticed something i thought that i would share....

isnt the Dilophasaurus featured in the "Meet The Dinosaurs Trailer" and is shown for a good few seconds (see screenshot below), meaning that this has to be ruled out, however after some research i have discovered what i think might be the secret dinosaur...

fWjfo.jpg

i suspect it might be a "Metriacanthosaurus" and have attached some more screenshots from the trailer below for you to examine as in the film version of Jurassic Park, one of the vials containing dinosaur DNA is labeled with the name Metriacanthosaurus, though the genus does not appear.

jzvyg.jpg
    HssBR.jpg

Kind Regards,
    Nathaniel Blackburn
  • edited March 2011
    Woodsyblue wrote: »
    In Destructoid's preview they say:

So we can really rule out Compys. Troodon still a possibility. It looks like whatever they are they are poisonous.

ill bet you the 30 bux i dont have that its trodon. it was all over the novels
  • edited March 2011
    ^It's been stated that it's Troodon. Sorry. Besides the small size of it, and from what we've seen it doesn't follow Metras at all.

I would like to see Metriacanthosaur though in the game and/or Baryonyx.
  • edited March 2011
    ahh its ok, dont worry, and it does look like Troodon now i think about it, i would love to see a Spinosaurus in the game, they are one of my favorite dinosaurs after the Velociraptor of course :)

Kind Regards,
    Nathaniel Blackburn
  • edited March 2011
    When i saw the trailer i saw some pretty long jaws. So Dilo is out of the question. Why hide a dino which is already announced. If they are saying we will find out later.
  • edited March 2011
    Yep, I can easily believe it's Troodon. Right size, large eyes, potentially nocturnal, pack hunter, lots of teeth in the jaw ... it all fits.

The poison seems to be a bit of artistic license ... theories about dinosaurs with poison glands, like Sinornithosaurus, are highly speculative at best. Or, they could bring in the angle that these dinosaurs are hybridized with living animals, some of which might be poisonous. Or they could go the Komodo dragon route, and have it be nasty microorganisms in the saliva.
  • edited March 2011
    I did this using paint so bear with me :P

You can clearly see the shape of what looks like a dinosaur in the corner. On the bottom if you look real close, you can see the head of another. Think they're Troodon? they could be dilos too. What do you think?
  • edited March 2011
    synJP wrote: »
    I did this using paint so bear with me :P

You can clearly see the shape of what looks like a dinosaur in the corner. On the bottom if you look real close, you can see the head of another. Think they're Troodon? they could be dilos too. What do you think?

You mean this?
    http://jurassicpark.wikia.com/wiki/File:Nima5.jpg

Judging by the various scenes showing Nima and the "Unknown Dock Agent" as I like to call him, it's safe to say these are the 2 Dilophosaurus. There's more than 2 Troodons because they hunt in packs, and it seems they prefer darker, secluded environments (Such as the one Nima is chased into, near the cliff).

I labeled it as such on the Wiki, but then again I could be wrong. That's just my take on it.
  • edited March 2011
    If you look, you can also see the tow cable from Nedry's Jeep on the ground.
  • edited March 2011
    indeed! there also seems to be a THIRD dilophosaurus on the top. I just noticed it under the palm leaf. more than two dilos...SWEET
  • edited March 2011
    deepzcet wrote: »
    could very well be metriacanthosaurus,they gave it a miss in the movie.

This could very well be so. But, when I read this post, I looked this dino up on the internet and found it to be of its own genus. When I reviewed the trailer, I heard the woman asking "What kind of carnosaur is this?" I will take a guess and say that the new dino will be of the carnosauria infrorder. Sorry guys, I don't think that includes Carnotaurus or Metriacanthosaurus. The mystery dino may be more closely related to the Allosaurus. Based on the trailer, it must be a smaller cousin of the larger therapods. I think this is as far as it goes without taking a wild guess. If anyone would like to correct my logic, feel free to do so. Oh, one more thing. I don't think Troodon has a venomous bite like the creators say the mystery dino has. So, I will also rule out Troodon as well.

:cool:

EDIT: Wow. I just love it when I do these things for nothing. I just found out the the new dino really is Troodon. I'm still really confused though. Troodon doesn't have a venomous bite. I'm pretty sure of it.
  • edited March 2011
    She says "What the hell kinda zoo is this?!"

And, once again, new dino is Troodon. It's been confirmed several times :P
  • edited March 2011
    This thread is pretty much useless now, considering it was confirmed to be Troodon. Seems only to be confusing people.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.