Troodon speculation thread!

Comments

• edited March 2011
    One of the mods should change the title, to inform people new to the game.
  • edited April 2011
    I'll rename it so, you all can speculate about the Troodon.

Edit: Since they are all girls...we could call them trudy's. :D
  • edited April 2011
    Stenonychosaurus.jpg

Troodon is also called Stenonychosaurus I think that Stenonychosaurus is the more common name.
  • edited April 2011
    WARP10CK wrote: »
    Stenonychosaurus.jpg

Troodon is also called Stenonychosaurus I think that Stenonychosaurus is the more common name.
    Actually is the other way around...Stenonychosaurus has been reclassified as being a Troodon.
  • edited April 2011
    Woodsyblue wrote: »
    Telltale have said

jurassicpark6.jpg

They can also be seen in the trailer. (About 35 seconds in.)

At first I thought they were Compys. They're small, numerous and nocturnal (the book reveals they are nocturnal) which all fits however the way Telltale are building it up it's probably something more dangerous.

So what do people think? Any ideas? Let the speculation (and the inevitable thread derailment) commence!

OK guys i think i found it, i take back my troodon comment entirely.

i think its Sinornithosaurus, it mentioned venom and was like a raptor in the trailer.. well see this ladies and gents tell me your thoughts

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/12/091221-venomous-dinosaur-venom-dinosaurs-snakes.html
  • edited April 2011
    SWGNATE wrote: »
    OK guys i think i found it, i take back my troodon comment entirely.

i think its Sinornithosaurus, it mentioned venom and was like a raptor in the trailer.. well see this ladies and gents tell me your thoughts

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/12/091221-venomous-dinosaur-venom-dinosaurs-snakes.html
    dude one of the devs said it's the Troodon already so....
  • edited April 2011
    TorQue wrote: »
    dude one of the devs said it's the Troodon already so....

why on earth would they tell us that? or at least tell us the truth, although i suppose they could add psudo science like the dilophosaurus
  • edited April 2011
    You mean this?
    http://jurassicpark.wikia.com/wiki/File:Nima5.jpg

Judging by the various scenes showing Nima and the "Unknown Dock Agent" as I like to call him, it's safe to say these are the 2 Dilophosaurus. There's more than 2 Troodons because they hunt in packs, and it seems they prefer darker, secluded environments (Such as the one Nima is chased into, near the cliff).

I labeled it as such on the Wiki, but then again I could be wrong. That's just my take on it.
    i think those are 2 troodons because the scene appears exactly when the devs say they have a new threat,and besides the way they keep their tail up seems raptor-like and the troodon can be considered raptor,and from the close-up shot of the troodon it seems they have feathers in the game too...anyway that picture reminds me of the raptors from Dinosaur Planet.

dinosaurplanet.jpg
    jpthegamebyghansen89d3c.png
    nima5.jpg
  • edited April 2011
    Aren't the dinos in the last pick confirmed to be dilophosaurs on the jurassic park wiki?
  • edited April 2011
    Hmm...this may be a really obscure nod to canon in a way.

If I remember right, in the novel 'The Lost World', Levine goes to Isla Sorna right after visiting another Paleontologists's dig.

...The animal excavated was a Troodon.
  • edited April 2011
    To those confused about the poison bite of the Troodon, remember this. The dinosaurs were not created with just dinosaur DNA. They also have amphibian DNA, and if the Dilophosaur is any indication, some lizard DNA as well.
  • edited April 2011
    koiboi59 wrote: »
    Aren't the dinos in the last pick confirmed to be dilophosaurs on the jurassic park wiki?
    well by all means the wiki cannot be considered a confirmation ,at least until the game comes out...they could be dilophosaurs but i believe they are troodons
  • edited April 2011
    well by all means the wiki cannot be considered a confirmation ,at least until the game comes out...they could be dilophosaurs but i believe they are troodons

Don't they seem a bit big though?
  • edited April 2011
    I have no problem with the Troodon being venomous. Most of the animals in Jurassic Park have their own characteristics. Whether it's from altered DNA or just unknown features of the animals, it's what makes them so interesting. I also think it would be neat to see a feathered dinosaur that's not and "updated" Raptor.

As for the origin of the Troodon, maybe it's something the scientists created then tried to destroy because it was too dangerous, only it had already escaped. Or perhaps it stowed away on a shipment from Site B. InGen may not even realize it's on Nublar at all.
  • edited April 2011
    koiboi59 wrote: »
    Don't they seem a bit big though?
    i think they are the right size for a troodon...the dilophosaurus in the movie was 3 feet high (0,9 m) and 5 feet long (1,5 m)...not a big difference between the 2 dinos but i still think the overall body position and aspect (and the fact that this particular scene appears when they are talking about the new threat) indicates that it's a troodon, possibly feathered.
    Stenonychosaurus-scale.png
    800pxnima5.jpg
  • edited April 2011
    I believe that photo is of dilos
  • edited April 2011
    The new dinosaur can still be one of the original 15. The Jurassic Park movies always took creative liberties with their dinosaurs (i.e. T-Rex hunts based on vision, Raptors now larger and able to communicate, Dilophosaurus spits venom and has frills, etc.) so I should expect Telltale will take creative liberties with their own dinosaurs.

So based on the original list, and which dinosaurs might fall under the new category, I'm guessing it'll either be Proceratosaurus or Segisaurus. Probably Segisaurus since a full intact skeleton was never discovered, so they can take whatever liberties they want with it.
  • edited April 2011
    GUYS, Troodon has been CONFIRMED by TELLTALE in one of the INTERVIEWS. It is Troodon! Troodon Troodon Troodon!
  • edited April 2011
    I think it's well within reason that there are more animals than accounted for on this island. Hell the scientists and staff at jurassic park were't even aware that the dinosaurs were breeding outside of captivity until it was too late. Plus the island of isla nublar was 23 square miles in diameter and 9/10ths of the island is covered in dense jungle. You can conceal a lot in that kind of environment. So there are bound to be a few secrets. If Troodon is on the Island, then as far as I'm concered it's more than likely. Isla Nublar is nothing if not wrought with oversight.
  • edited April 2011
    Actually is the other way around...Stenonychosaurus has been reclassified as being a Troodon.

Can anyone explain why some dinosaurs have several names? I've never understood that, sry…
  • edited April 2011
    piccobello wrote: »
    Can anyone explain why some dinosaurs have several names? I've never understood that, sry…
    As far as I know, it's something like that:
    A paleontologist finds some fossil remains of a dinosaur, studies them and concludes that they belong to a new and undiscovered species, and call it Whateversaurus.
    Another paleontologist finds some other fossil remains from the same species, but those remains are from other body parts, or from an animal much bigger or smaller because it was much older or younger than the other fossil. So the paleontologist mistakenly thinks it's a new species, and call it Whateverodon.
    Later, some other paleontologist studies both discoveries, compare them, and says that both species actually are one and the same.

Besides, scientific names have two parts, the second of them usually represent the place where a species was discovered, or the scientist that discovered it.
    So we can have, for example, Whateverodon Ibericus, Whateverodon Americani and Whateverodon Smithensis, probably being all three of them the very same species, and the only difference between them is that the first one was found in Spain, the second one in the USA, and the third one was found by somebody named Smith.
  • edited April 2011
    Well, whatever it is im guessing its an omnivore. I'd say Oviraptor but from what i'v seen there is no Crest on it... and I say omnivore because in the demo, the JP worker says that the toxin is new, and mabye from eating one of the plant's. Think of it (wich links with the amphibian DNA role brought on for the movies) like that of the Poisen Dart Frog, one of the most toxic animals we know of, yet it's completly harmless unless it ingests a certain plant. My guesses are, Oviraptor, Ceolophysis (spelling?) Troodon, Archeoroptorix (spelling again) or something along this nature.
  • edited April 2011
    As far as I know, it's something like that:
    A paleontologist finds some fossil remains of a dinosaur, studies them and concludes that they belong to a new and undiscovered species, and call it Whateversaurus.
    Another paleontologist finds some other fossil remains from the same species, but those remains are from other body parts, or from an animal much bigger or smaller because it was much older or younger than the other fossil. So the paleontologist mistakenly thinks it's a new species, and call it Whateverodon.
    Later, some other paleontologist studies both discoveries, compare them, and says that both species actually are one and the same.

Besides, scientific names have two parts, the second of them usually represent the place where a species was discovered, or the scientist that discovered it.
    So we can have, for example, Whateverodon Ibericus, Whateverodon Americani and Whateverodon Smithensis, probably being all three of them the very same species, and the only difference between them is that the first one was found in Spain, the second one in the USA, and the third one was found by somebody named Smith.

Wow, thank you for the declaration! I've thought of that, but I didn't knew that it was actually "real"

I'm living in the western part of germany which was mostly "sea" back then.
    In my childhood I found a part of a big ammonite:

20110412-g1sadqjcuhaanp94b4asb8s1dh.jpg

20110412-pfeq2wixxug2qi2g7m9211apxd.jpg

(its about 10cm / 4 inches long)
    (you might guess the "real" thing was about 50-70cm / 20-30 inches big)
  • edited April 2011
    it. has. been. confirmed. as. troodon.
    someone should close this thread...or rename it Troodon discussion...kuz this is confusing people i think
  • edited April 2011
    synJP wrote: »
    it. has. been. confirmed. as. troodon.
    someone should close this thread...or rename it Troodon discussion...kuz this is confusing people i think

Oh, thanks for the clarification. Although i was interested with more of a surprise.
  • edited April 2011
    So the Troodon's bite is supposed to cause its prey to hallucinate and become immobile? Isn't that what the Compsognathus in the book did? (It's been a while since I read the book...)
  • edited April 2011
    Telltale said they would be having other dinosaurs or focusing on ones that were barly tounched in the movie, like Parasaurlopholus and Gallimimus
  • edited April 2011
    Telltale said they would be having other dinosaurs or focusing on ones that were barly tounched in the movie, like Parasaurlopholus and Gallimimus

Really? There's gonna be more than the trex, triceratops, raptors, dilophosaurs, and troodons? Yes! I should start reading/ watching these interviews!
  • edited April 2011
    REDSLATE wrote: »
    So the Troodon's bite is supposed to cause its prey to hallucinate and become immobile? Isn't that what the Compsognathus in the book did? (It's been a while since I read the book...)

Kind of... it didnt cause hallucinations or paralyze you. it just poisoned you. Plus, the book doesent say compsognothus- it has PROcompsognothus, allive in the Triassic.
  • edited June 2011
    i think those are 2 troodons because the scene appears exactly when the devs say they have a new threat,and besides the way they keep their tail up seems raptor-like and the troodon can be considered raptor,and from the close-up shot of the troodon it seems they have feathers in the game too...anyway that picture reminds me of the raptors from Dinosaur Planet.

Now we absolutely know these are Dilo's from the E3 2011 demo, glad I wasn't wrong when I labeled it as such.
  • edited October 2011
    I have been wondering... how did Troodons get here to Isla Nublar? Gerry Harding, the Park's cheif Vetrinarian isn't aware of the Troodons when he should be aware of all of the Dinosaurs.
  • edited October 2011
    There is another thread pertaining to this.
  • edited October 2011
    JPTGfan wrote: »
    I have been wondering... how did Troodons get here to Isla Nublar? Gerry Harding, the Park's cheif Vetrinarian isn't aware of the Troodons when he should be aware of all of the Dinosaurs.

Maybe they were put in some area of the Park that was supposed to be under construction, so that Harding wouldn't suspect that there was any other place for dinos to go.
  • edited October 2011
    And the Night vision goggles that Tim found in the Film... were they used to see Troodons during night? Since they are Nocturnal predators.
  • edited October 2011
    JPTGfan wrote: »
    And the Night vision goggles that Tim found in the Film... were they used to see Troodons during night? Since they are Nocturnal predators.

true why night vision goggles......
  • edited October 2011
    SWGNATE wrote: »
    true why night vision goggles......
    They were used to see the attractions at night.... Honestly people, don't start making speculations about supposed "hidden content" when there's nothing to base it on. The goggles were seen in the first movie and their intent was to see the attractions at night and not to see Troodons that wouldn't be revealed until 20 years later that nobody knew about.
  • edited November 2011
    Remember how we couldn't see the Troodons clearly because it was night? Well here's an image that shows Troodon clearly.
    595px-Jurassic_Park_the_Game_Troodons.jpg
  • edited November 2011
    Pretty scary looking with the glowing eyes. A bit too much like the Raptors from the clips I've seen, but I think they are a nice addition.
  • edited November 2011
    It kinda looks like they have feathers lining their backs. Or what is it? o.O
  • edited November 2011
    Yes, they seem to be feathered on their backs and tails.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.