Why does everyone hate The Lost World: Jurassic Park?

Comments

• edited March 2011
    My 2 cents is that I found it better than 3. Three was a crap-shoot with a lackluster plot merely with the intent on trying to revive the franchise without intelligent motive. They relied on Sam Neill's name/character to hopefully boost enough sales to break even and left the rest up to "Hey look, less story more action!" Because, as Johz said, people just want to see dinosaurs mess s**t up.

At least TLW had action and more character development and struggle, and I don't mean against dinosaurs. Sure it dealt with moral issues but hey, what movie doesn't have those undertones now?
  • edited March 2011
    because it's plain bad.
  • edited March 2011
    rixcm wrote: »
    Ok I've never understood why everyone hates this film its one of the best of the 3, Jurassic Park being the best and The Lost World on par with it. But the third wasn't as good but it wasn't based off the novels like the other two were, making it to short and feel rushed. But I would like to know your thoughts on the second film.

I actually loved it, not as much as the first, but in my opinion still better than III. I also loved the custom Mercedes M-Class in TLW, which I hope to one day customize and own one.
  • edited March 2011
    TLW has always had a place in my heart. Since I was born in 1994, I could only watch the JP VHS until '97....I literally had every single TLW toy they made...EXCEPT THE TRAILERS, which is sad because the trailers were the coolest part of the movie. Now when I go back and watch it I have to admit. A Tyranosaur in San Diego is pretty much every other dinosaur movie...PLUS they never explained what killed the crew on that boat....still, I LOVED The Lost World...the novel wasn't as good as the original.
  • edited March 2011
    Davies wrote: »
    That's exactly how I interpreted that moment to. The mud represented the fact that Nedry had failed and that he and the embryos were essentially dead and buried. I was rather surprised to hear from the number of people who had considered it an unanswered element. However...

Amen.

Amen too
    The shaving cream element was never intended to be a loose plot hole for a future tie-in...

As for my opinion:

JP> TLW>>>>>>>>>>> JP3

TLW:
    What made TLW great:
    - Unrestricted, natural, dark prehistoric ambiance of isla Sorna. ( I loved the whole concept of Site B).
    - Huge team going to an island filled with dinosaurs.
    - Plot had substance (even if it lacked polish and some logic).
    - Music was epic.

What made TLW suckish:
    - Tons of contradicting story plots and logical flaws(They've been mentioned around here).
    - Using Ingen as its own enemy when they could've used Biosyn as the novel did.
    - No Carnotaurus with chameleon ability like in the novel.

And just throwing it out there:

JP3:
    What made JP3 great:
    - Dr. Grant
    - Isla Sorna
    - Pterosaurs

What made JP3 SUCK:
    - Simply idiotic plot
    - Killing T-Rex
    - Barely talking about Ingen and its secret experiments, while
    - Creates some couple of canon dilemmas.
    - Didn't feel as part of the overarching JP saga and felt more like a side story.
  • edited March 2011
    I put it much in the realm of why a lot of people don't like Ghostbusters 2 or Gremlins 2. This first films were so well received that when sequels were announced peoples expectations of what they could be were so high that they really couldn't be met no matter how good the movies were. Heck, even the Back to the Future sequels fell prey to this. Also, some movies are popular to hate, and most of the flack they get now is from people who have never actually seen them, they are just repeating what they've heard like it was their own thought.
  • edited March 2011
    I just think the whole San Diego sequence ruins it. Spielberg should have just stuck with the original ending.
  • edited March 2011
    Phoenix123 wrote: »
    I just think the whole San Diego sequence ruins it. Spielberg should have just stuck with the original ending.
    I think the opposite, had they used the original ending the movie would have seemed too short. It would have been anti-climatic, really.
  • edited March 2011
    joek86 wrote: »
    I put it much in the realm of why a lot of people don't like Ghostbusters 2 or Gremlins 2. This first films were so well received that when sequels were announced peoples expectations of what they could be were so high that they really couldn't be met no matter how good the movies were. Heck, even the Back to the Future sequels fell prey to this. Also, some movies are popular to hate, and most of the flack they get now is from people who have never actually seen them, they are just repeating what they've heard like it was their own thought.

So true, its like Zemeckis said (I think), everyone is writing their own sequel in their minds, so when they see the actual movie and it differs from their own thoughts, its hard to please.
  • edited March 2011
    Am I the only bugged by the fact that Jurassic Park was pretty much Micheal Crichton re-writing West World which was also written by Crichton? West World also had a sequel called Future World that was poorly received as well (but has since enjoyed a cult status).
  • edited March 2011
    The first Jurrasic Park was kind of a perfect summer movie. It had likeable characters, which were actually (relatively) well developed by the time the action kicked in. It had a sense of place, and a really cool idea. The early scenes when they first see the dinosaurs is a genuinely beautiful moment with great music. It was a great movie by the time the dinousaurs finally started attacking, and then spectacularly, it was a terrific action movie. The T-Rex scene and raptors in the kitchen set pieces are particularly fantastic.

The second movie, in contrast, was filled with boring characters. You basically had another scientist with little personality beyond a desire to save the dinousaurs, a mathematicain and a gymnast. The hunters weren't good villains, as, honestly, they weren't the ones who were blindly putting human lives in danger.

Even the big set pieces were kind of lame. The T-Rex chase isn't anywhere near as exciting as the one from the first film. The two t-rex scene is kind of cool, but doesn't impact in the same visceral way as the trex on the car scene in the first one. The raptors are made substantially less dangerous by the fact that they can be killed through the amazing powers of gymnastics.

And that's not even bringing up Godzilla T-Rex from the last bit of the movie.

What has me so excited about Telltales game is that they are saying all the right things about the important of slower character focused moments and plot. If they can get the balance right from the first film, I would be happy. As is, both the Lost World and Jurrasic Park 3 were incredibly dissapointing to me.
  • edited March 2011
    I personally loved JP2. Wish there that they actually killed the dang dinosaurs that had guns ffs...
  • edited April 2011
    Makes no sense to me why The Lost World's been given so much stick either - I love the film a lot, and it used to be my favourite JP film until I got to buy the 4 disc Trilogy boxset. I thought it was a more than worthy follow up to JP1 in terms of storyline and the use of its characters, which is more than I can say for the lightweight JP3. The idea of seeing dinosaurs on their own turf without being fenced in was one of the best things about the film that caught my attention. I especially loved how the T-Rex's part in the story was handled - I felt it was refreshing to see a more tender, caring side to him as opposed to just terrorising humans for the sake of it. Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind. I've just always had a thing for films that strive to portray their creatures as more than just relentless, bloodthirsty killing machines.
  • edited April 2011
    ....at least there are no Di-hu-dogs mentioned anywhere....
  • edited April 2011
    Imagine if Michael Bay made a jurassic park they'd be exploding everywhere and Eric would of been a hot chick.
  • edited April 2011
    Bombillazo wrote: »

What made JP3 SUCK:
    - Killing T-Rex

INDEED! You can't just do that to a T-Rex...King cant get dethroned so easily
  • edited April 2011
    I liked the Arcade game The Lost World.....does that count for something? LOL
  • edited April 2011
    hppav wrote: »

I'd say it's the same reason why people hate Avatar so much, the movie decided to be preachy about the evils of man, who was extracting minerals so that humanity could survive, while blatantly ignoring the evils of the Na'vi, who slaughtered an unarmed human ambassador merely because they didn't see us as being worthy to talk to them, who call us insane, and are more sensitive that even the Middle East nations. So many people, myself included, found themselves cheering on the RDA and Colonel Quaritch in the film's third act rather than the protagonists.

Don't try pushing a "corporations are the minions of Satan" moral on people in a movie that's the sequel of a movie whose moral was "Don't play God," no matter how liberal the scientists were or how conservative Hammond was, it's not a good idea. Politics should be left out of an adventure movie because you'll just end up angering half of your fan base.

Just wanted to say that this was very well put. I agree with this 100%

As far as the sequals, I was fine with them. I put 2 and 3 in the same boat and expect the 4th to be about that level. I never expected a sequel to be better than the first.

With all the talk with the first 2 books on here lately though has me intrigued on checking it out
  • edited April 2011
    I had really high expectations after the first movie, and after watching The Lost World for the first time, i walked out pretty dissapointed. Today, i have different feelings towards The Lost World. There are lots of memorable scenes, and i think the movie is pretty good. The scene where they hunt for different dinosaurs, the cars and the T-Rex couple, and the Compys are incredible.
    But the ending in the city still feels pushed, and thats just what it was. Steven Spielberg just wanted a scene with a T-Rex running around in a city.
    The characters were not that interesting, and it lacked character development. It was pathetic when Malcolms kid used her gymnastic skills to kill a velociraptor.
    Instead of sending real hunters, InGen should have sent a group of athletic kids.
  • edited April 2011
    Basically there was too much to suspend disbelief on...Like almost the entire San Diego sequence, gymnastics, and the how all the hunter vehicles were designed for toy marketability rather than actual functionality (giant roboclaw on the humvee. Side seat that slides out, instead of a turret with a stabilizing mount, and so on).

A lot of the independent things I have a problem with in Lost World has already been covered: The hippy good-guys, preachiness, and whatnot. On that front, the biggest problem I had was when the photographer guy disabled the large caliber bullets; about the only thing that might have taken down the Rex in the worst case scenario. While it's dumb, a lot of the environuts I've encountered are stupid enough to do something like that.

That's not to say I dislike the movie. It's entertaining, but it definitely has issues. I personally rate it on the same level as 3. 3 is less fun and has its own issues, but I find it a lot more believable than 1/2 the stuff in TLW.
  • edited April 2011
    synJP wrote: »
    INDEED! You can't just do that to a T-Rex...King cant get dethroned so easily

Yes, they should've left the battle uncertain, like the people leave the battle before they know what happened
  • edited April 2011
    Ofnir wrote: »
    Basically there was too much to suspend disbelief on...Like almost the entire San Diego sequence, gymnastics, and the how all the hunter vehicles were designed for toy marketability rather than actual functionality (giant roboclaw on the humvee. Side seat that slides out, instead of a turret with a stabilizing mount, and so on).

A lot of the independent things I have a problem with in Lost World has already been covered: The hippy good-guys, preachiness, and whatnot. On that front, the biggest problem I had was when the photographer guy disabled the large caliber bullets; about the only thing that might have taken down the Rex in the worst case scenario. While it's dumb, a lot of the environuts I've encountered are stupid enough to do something like that.

That's not to say I dislike the movie. It's entertaining, but it definitely has issues. I personally rate it on the same level as 3. 3 is less fun and has its own issues, but I find it a lot more believable than 1/2 the stuff in TLW.

I agree, some concepts in TLW were pretty farfetched, like the gymnastics, some things in the San Diego scene and hunters never killing the dinos even thought they have tons of guns. Although I think the hunter equipment wasn't that exaggerated. InGen custom built them for gathering the dinos as fast as possible and without injuring them.

Nick was pretty crazy to do what he did with the guns, but as you've pointed out, there are some real people that are willing to do that for real.

IMO I think JP3 requires much more suspension of disbelief... Starting with its weak plot in itself. The premise sounded cool, but was poorly executed and required certain degree of suspension of disbelief. I was most of the time watching the movie thinking "oh no, no please dont tell me... that cant be... yep, *sigh*, as if..." ex. the cellular phone surviving inside the dinosaur and being heard from inside its digestive system, Grant having front row seats in a Rex vs Spino fight, Spinosaurus having a human radar, Grant's retconning Raptor dream, Billy's Aviary air ride (yay!), Dr. Grant falling for the same trick as the first movie to go back to the islands, this time knowing whats actually there, a dumb@$$ like paul kirby being even able to trick Dr Grant and the mercs to go on said trip, Billy surviving, an entire Navy AND Marines fleet going to isla Sorna, the mercenaries having butt loads of explosives that cant destroy an airplane but cant even kill a dinosaur? JP3 had its fair share of unbelievable moments...
  • edited April 2011
    The third JP-movie has more plot holes than the second one, here are some of the worst ones:
    1.The Velociraptors have feathers on their heads, i know that paleontologists have found this to be very likely. But what about the consistence of the movies? How is it possible for Velociraptors to mutate in a couple of years?
    2.Alan Grant blows in the thing, and communicates with Velociraptors, how does he know what he is communicating? What if he accidently communicates that the raptors should attack?
    3.How did that stupid kid survive?
  • edited April 2011
    RE the vehicles designed for quick capture...You'd need some custom stuff for the bigger animals; but most of the dinos they were after were parasaurolophus sized or smaller, which is well-within normal zoological capture grounds. There's already plenty of stuff built for that. And I personally think it looks cooler than a lot of what they came up with for TLW.The one thing they made up I like was the Rex cage. It made a lot of sense: restrict its movement as much as possible while keeping it what seems a fairly standard Rex sleeping position, while still keeping it movable by a heavy lift chopper like a Chinook or Skycrane.

The dumb stuff, like I said, was the side-seat, where even a basic roof turret would have made a lot more sense mechanically, from an operator and animal safety standpoint, and has been a pretty standard piece of equipment since they started arming trains after the Civil War. The Roboclaw makes a bit of sense in how it was deployed it against the Pachy, but was goofy, cartoonish, and needlessly complex for what is basically a safari operation; and was pointless given that they were just dropping other dinos with tranqs from the deploy-seat jeeps in the middle of a stampede. Again, obviously designed for toy sales over anything else.

As for the stuff in 3: The mercs in 3 didn't seem the most professional from the get-go...more like cheap bodyguards than a more professional outfit like Blackwater, Орёл, or Pathfinder. This means they'd be more prone to panic like they did, and not be familiar with their equipment like they were in the film. That's a historical problem with employing mercs that goes back as far as we have records of using mercs. I also seem to recall a few random shots off-screen of the gun, then you don't see it deployed again, which means we don't actually know how effective the gun is against a dinosaur. I just assumed the guy panic-shot it while he was running away and missed, which is reasonable given how often even trained military personnel miss (seriously look up war accuracy ratios. They expend thousands of rounds for every confirmed hit they make in combat). A gung-ho amateur in a panic would do even worse, especially with a canon like they had. On Grant, greed is a powerful motivating factor. Just look at the stupid stuff people do repeatedly IRL for money and how often people fall for the same con scams several times before catching on. There's a reason the Nigerian Prince scam from the dawn of the internet is still going around. Finally, the phone surviving the Spinosaur stomach is a bit problematic, but not outside the realm of possible. My dog ate my sister's tamagotchi back when those were the in thing, and it still functioned after it passed though. Not that anyone wanted to use it much after that, heh.

I'll admit the Navy and Marines thing was pretty dumb. The raptor confusion, and change in raptor appearance things too. But my point wasn't that JP3 was believable and didn't have problems itself; it was just less cartoonishly goofball for the sake of appealing to small children than TLW.
  • edited April 2011
    I don't know... O simply loved this one!
  • edited April 2011
    There are quite a number of reasons why I dislike this movie, but the biggest problem I have with it, and the first one I 'noticed' back when watching it in theatres for the first time is - the movie has always really bored me.
    I've never felt immersed in any way while watching it, it lost all the 'magic' the first movie had.

It's hard to nail down one specific reason for that, it's probably a combination of several factors. The storyline isn't interesting, it's much too ridiculous... I can take some stupid stuff in an otherwise good movie but this one just takes the stupid stuff too far, the characters are boring and the very typical complaint you often hear - "I couldn't care less what happens to anyone in this movie" very much applies here.

Basically any scene featuring only humans is awfully dull, the only entertaining aspect of the movie is watching the actual dinos... not as part of a storyline but just as something that looks cool on its own.

If someone cut out everything but the scenes involving dinos, in both JP2 & 3... I'd rather watch that.
  • edited April 2011
    Yeah, I agree the Vehicles were not that incredibly smart design, but they were believable to a certain extent. (I do too like the Rex transportation cage)

As for the stuff in 3: The mercs in 3 didn't seem the most professional from the get-go...more like cheap bodyguards than a more professional outfit like Blackwater, Орёл, or Pathfinder. This means they'd be more prone to panic like they did, and not be familiar with their equipment like they were in the film. That's a historical problem with employing mercs that goes back as far as we have records of using mercs. I also seem to recall a few random shots off-screen of the gun, then you don't see it deployed again, which means we don't actually know how effective the gun is against a dinosaur. I just assumed the guy panic-shot it while he was running away and missed, which is reasonable given how often even trained military personnel miss (seriously look up war accuracy ratios. They expend thousands of rounds for every confirmed hit they make in combat). A gung-ho amateur in a panic would do even worse, especially with a canon like they had.

Uh, yep, that seems like a lot of suspension of disbelief to me... One shot and explosion like that would injure any dino in its proximity, even more so scare them. They had pretty potent arms for being some amateurs. I think this cast has heavily underused and killed off too quickly.

Also the cellphone alone idea was kinda lame and cartoonish, first not only did it survive inside a dino's stomach, it always soundedoff when the cast was near it and was a nuclear battery that gives it 500 days of use in one charge.
    I'll admit the Navy and Marines thing was pretty dumb. The raptor confusion, and change in raptor appearance things too. But my point wasn't that JP3 was believable and didn't have problems itself; it was just less cartoonishly goofball for the sake of appealing to small children than TLW.

Yep, both had their share when compared to JP, its a thing of what ur able to let go and what irritates you in each movie that makes you decide which one is less real that the other :P
  • edited April 2011
    I disagree with everybody who didn't like the movie to be honest...I actually thought it was the best of the 3 - PERIOD. I worked at a movie theater for about 5 years during this time period and I saw this over and over and we had many, many repeat customers...anyways, it was my favorite. So there you go..
  • edited April 2011
    I always thought it was good. But it lost some of the magic from the first one. It's hard to say why, but maybe it's just easier to be cynical the second go around. You know...it's cool to hate what's cool - that sort of thing.
  • edited April 2011
    I have noticed too that many people hate TLW.

I love it on the other hand, I have seen it in a movie theater when I was 9 years old, so it has a huge nostalgia value for me. Also, it stars the coolest character from the first film: Ian Malcolm.

I don't really care about realism or plot holes, I just love that movie.:) There are other films like that, such as Home Alone. So many people hate it, but I couldn't care less.:)
  • edited April 2011
    The ruins of nublar with dino's who are still alive!
    I always wondered what the aftermath should look like and wished they could take me back to for example a weathered and ruined visitor centre!

But still, with a trip down memory lane you don't have a good movie plot.

Awell, this was my first thought when I heard of a sequel of jp back in the days!

Cheers from holland!
  • edited April 2011
    I don't. I loved it.
  • edited April 2011
    I think people dont like it when compared to the book, like me. Everything is worse when compared to the book- even the first one. As a movie, I like the first one the best and the last two equally.
  • edited April 2011
    It's not terrible...but the gymnastics, the boat, the Rex in civilization... I had a big problem with
  • edited April 2011
    I personally liked it, even after reading the book. Though I still wonder how the crew got killed on the transport boat. The music was great, as expected from John Williams. I found the OST a couple years ago, but somehow the CD got a small crack over the years, and now it skips the first two tracks :(
  • edited April 2011
    I liked the Lost World best of all. I got to see a lot more T-Rex action.
  • edited April 2011
    I dare say i loved TLW and still do mostly because of the sense of nostalgia i get from watching it.
  • edited April 2011
    chucklas wrote: »
    Because it sucked.

Seriously, this is what I think. We have a great storyline to follow from the first movie. After watching the first one, I wanted to know what happened to the shaving cream canister from the first (at least tell tale seems to have gotten that right so far). When I realized it wasn't going that way, I had a hard time coming to terms with the plot. They lost me on one detail and they never really got me back.

This would be something to take up with Michael Crichton, who didn't seem to think it was important. Sadly this is now impossible, but whatever.

Having said that, the creators of the movie completely disregarded his book anyway when they were making the sequel so who knows what could have been possible.
  • edited April 2011
    hppav wrote: »
    I'd say it's the same reason why people hate Avatar so much, the movie decided to be preachy about the evils of man, who was extracting minerals so that humanity could survive, while blatantly ignoring the evils of the Na'vi, who slaughtered an unarmed human ambassador merely because they didn't see us as being worthy to talk to them, who call us insane, and are more sensitive that even the Middle East nations. So many people, myself included, found themselves cheering on the RDA and Colonel Quaritch in the film's third act rather than the protagonists.
    Good job missing the whole point, then.

Avatar isn't about the evils of man, it's about the evils of misused technology. The military dudes are bad, though not out of any sociopathy. Quaritch wants to protect the RDA, and doesn't really care how many Na'vi have to die to accomplish that goal. By contrast, the Science Team just wants to study the planet and the Navi, using technology to do so--or did you not notice the giant blue cat-bodies made of science they were walking around in?--and are the good guys.

Humanity doesn't need Unobtanium to survive. It's used in technology, much like silicon. If we ran out of silicon deposits right now, we'd survive, though it might not be easy. Unobtanium was used mostly for transit and in the spaceships they used to go and mine more Unobtanium. We're not talking crude oil here. Grace even comes to Parker and Quaritch and explains that she's discovered something that might be able to help Earth, and they just laugh at her.

The reason Neytiri nearly killed Jake was because she thought he was a spy(and he was). The RDA and Navi have been in conflict for years at this point, so I can't really blame her. This is what happens in real life when people don't listen to each other. And I mean both sides. I don't recall any human ambassadors getting killed in cold-blood by Navi onscreen, though. And remember, Humanity are the alien invaders as far as the Navi were concerned.

The entire point of the film is about the blending of both cultures, not that one is inherently better than the other. It's the combination of Jake's human and Navi knowledge that lets the day be saved, not that he's inherently better than them.

I know it's a bit srs business, but I've found myself honestly disturbed at how many people sincerely espouse the imperialism the film decries, just cause the RDA has k3wl m3ch4.

As for the Lost World: yeah, I liked the book better.
  • edited May 2011
    The first movie was the best, it had most of the adventure one wanted from the game, it had lush landscape (Altho the lost world also had it) but when they took cars etc over to this island, it somehow destroyed any sense of "immersion".

I mean, they might aswell have offered arnold a part in the movie, or sylvester stallone.

And when they took T-rex over to the mainland ? Jurassic park is not only about dinosaurs, but adventure, lush landscape, exploring them closely.

When the first team went over there, i was sure it will be like the first. But then the other teams arrived it went from adventure to action.

The third jp was without a doubt the worst. It was nice to see sam neill back again, but thats about it.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.