Why does everyone hate The Lost World: Jurassic Park?

edited October 2011 in Jurassic Park
Ok I've never understood why everyone hates this film its one of the best of the 3, Jurassic Park being the best and The Lost World on par with it. But the third wasn't as good but it wasn't based off the novels like the other two were, making it to short and feel rushed. But I would like to know your thoughts on the second film.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    I have no idea... I liked all of them equally.
  • edited February 2011
    I don't hate it. It's just not the best of the trilogy.
  • edited February 2011
    Mostly because it made no sense.

-We follow a series of protagonists whose actions result in the deaths of dozens of people but are expected to believe they are right.

-InGen has been battling Malcolm for years to convince the public that Jurassic Park didn't exist, yet plans on opening Jurassic Park San Diego anyway.

-InGen, who exists entirely by funding through investors wanting them to build Jurassic Park, still manages to exist as a proper corporation with no real product and tons of lawsuits and bills being thrown at it.

-The "bad guys" in essence just wanted to take the animals and put them in a zoo, the "good guys" decided to unleash hell on the "bad guys" camp, let all the dinosaurs loose, and leave a group of 20 or so men practically defenseless with no way to call for help on an island full of dinosaurs to claim the moral highground.

Further, the book made more sense where it was Biosyn who tries to get samples off the island and the Malcolm, Thorne, and Levine's team are there to investigate why dinosaurs are on the island and whether or not the island has reached environmental stability and become a Lost World, but the two sides rarely clash. In fact, the actions of Biosyn's team generally led to their deaths.

I'd say it's the same reason why people hate Avatar so much, the movie decided to be preachy about the evils of man, who was extracting minerals so that humanity could survive, while blatantly ignoring the evils of the Na'vi, who slaughtered an unarmed human ambassador merely because they didn't see us as being worthy to talk to them, who call us insane, and are more sensitive that even the Middle East nations. So many people, myself included, found themselves cheering on the RDA and Colonel Quaritch in the film's third act rather than the protagonists.

Don't try pushing a "corporations are the minions of Satan" moral on people in a movie that's the sequel of a movie whose moral was "Don't play God," no matter how liberal the scientists were or how conservative Hammond was, it's not a good idea. Politics should be left out of an adventure movie because you'll just end up angering half of your fan base.
  • edited February 2011
    theirs 2 types of fans of films the ones that pick at every off detail and complain that the plot makes no sense or theirs the kind like me that dont give a sh*t aslong as i see some dinosaurs kill people :D :D :D
  • edited February 2011
    I love The Lost World, I of course like the original even better but I still think Lost World is awesome.
  • edited February 2011
    Lost World really shows off the Natural living of Dino's... Although there are alot of flaws... Its my fave hands down. I still remember the goose bumbs i got at the time lol.

For me is goes
    JP1 10/10
    JP2 8/10 (but still my fave)
    JP3 4/10

(JP4 Dino weapons? 0/10 LOL)
  • edited February 2011
    I like all three .. I do not see why people hate on 3 so much it may not be as good as the other two but its far from a bad movie... the action was good, the acting was not bad.. Just one of those things I guess.
  • edited February 2011
    Jozhster wrote: »
    theirs 2 types of fans of films the ones that pick at every off detail and complain that the plot makes no sense or theirs the kind like me that dont give a sh*t aslong as i see some dinosaurs kill people :D :D :D

theirs = There's
    2= two
    films = film,
    aslong =as long
    every off detail = every detail

Can you guess which category I fall under? :p
  • edited February 2011
    I don't really hate it, but just one word:

GYMNASTICS!!!!

...and maybe the inexplicable dead and maimed bodies on the boat's bridge. Nothing as big as an adult T-rex could have done that...
  • edited February 2011
    Haven't you discovered the sad truth yet? People get interested in a subject, they become experts so that they can get more involved with what they are interested in. New material comes out and fan boys cry that it's all a service for them and that they have standards and demands that must be met to the letter. Fan boys hate change, because they are afraid it will bring in new comers and it goes against what they've learned and molded themselves as supposed purist out of...

Fan boys whine and cry with the smallest details, inconsitencies because it gives them something to talk about, it allows them to correct errors and mistakes intellectually and socially show every one else how big of a concerned, involved and dedicated fan boy they are to notice such things and how worthy of your time it is to speak to this fan boy because he makes valid points that can be validated by his vast trivial knowledge...

Perspective has long since developed, and the fan boy tells you that he loves the material and understands it better than any one else, he's a purist now and sees the material a certain way. Subjectivity is now greatly outweighed by what he takes pride in as certain objective material. The fan boy now only searches for people to be united with who are also purists and agree with him, so that he feels loved himself and fits into the mold of what a true fan boy is.

Fan boys HATE changes, and when creators decide to try new things, even if preserving some of the old, most of the old, fan boys always find something to whine about...

Oh, and it also goes against their so very precious memories of entertainment. Which they find offensive and hurtful because those memories are so precious to them. Their experiences become less valid, their memories, their knowledge becomes less valid, and so they rush back in and blast off like rockets at their finger tips or jaw hinge how this and then that is all wrong.

They subconsciouly want to re live their child hoods and want new content inspired, to grow based on what they have experienced in the past, but their afraid of change. They hate change. So most the time, if not all the time , fan boys will find something to complain about.

The only thing worse than a excited fan boy, is a disappointed fan boy.

I don't believe that you have anymore questions about this. Of course I haven't went into the deeper, less comprehensible reasons why fan boys act the way they do. But I'm not acting out of my human roots right now. I could break it down much further than this.
  • edited February 2011
    I don't hate it at all. But I agree that it has a lot of plot holes.
  • edited February 2011
    Because it sucked.

Seriously, this is what I think. We have a great storyline to follow from the first movie. After watching the first one, I wanted to know what happened to the shaving cream canister from the first (at least tell tale seems to have gotten that right so far). When I realized it wasn't going that way, I had a hard time coming to terms with the plot. They lost me on one detail and they never really got me back.
  • edited February 2011
    chucklas wrote: »
    Because it sucked.

Seriously, this is what I think. We have a great storyline to follow from the first movie. After watching the first one, I wanted to know what happened to the shaving cream canister from the first (at least tell tale seems to have gotten that right so far). When I realized it wasn't going that way, I had a hard time coming to terms with the plot. They lost me on one detail and they never really got me back.

Being a direct sequel plot holes are a valid complaint. But I think the focus was more on character development. I didn't have a problem with the logic/math genius but before hand I never saw him getting his very own JP title as the lead role, and then he had a family all the sudden...

i think they lost some of the plot towards new characters and old ones that were being further developed. To me it sounds like that being the focus, that they did not see as much material in the first movie as you did and felt that the core, over all objective and focus would be on the characters rather than the plot of the first movie, which evidently, the plot, was not acknowledged as much as the characters.
  • edited February 2011
    We have a great storyline to follow from the first movie. After watching the first one, I wanted to know what happened to the shaving cream canister from the first

Until now, it hasn't mattered what happened to the shaving cream canister. I had this same argument with my idiot step-mother when we went to go see it(laughed my ass off when she jumped 3 feet up when the raptor's head came through the hole in the shed, PRICELESS!!!). The canister had enough coolant to last for thirty-six hours. By the time that the main characters got off the island, unless someone recovered the embryos in time(which we may find out in the game), the dino-embryos would have died. That's why it couldn't be a plot point. The only reason it can be a plot point in the game is that the game takes place during the events of the first movie.
  • edited February 2011
    I didn't realize people made a big deal about the shaving cream can. I mean, it fell down a tiny water fall and was covered in mud. I thought that closed the lid on that subject as far as the first film is concerned.

Glad TellTale is using it for their plot though.
  • edited February 2011
    I didn't realize people made a big deal about the shaving cream can. I mean, it fell down a tiny water fall and was covered in mud. I thought that closed the lid on that subject as far as the first film is concerned.

That's exactly how I interpreted that moment to. The mud represented the fact that Nedry had failed and that he and the embryos were essentially dead and buried. I was rather surprised to hear from the number of people who had considered it an unanswered element. However...
    Glad TellTale is using it for their plot though.

Amen.
  • edited February 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I like all three .. I do not see why people hate on 3 so much it may not be as good as the other two but its far from a bad movie... the action was good, the acting was not bad.. Just one of those things I guess.

This. JP3 got what people wanted the most from the franchise.
  • edited February 2011
    What I like about JP3 is that it is streamlined. It's like a half hour shorter than the first two films, and it doesn't have a T-Rex in San Diego.

I like all three movies though. The first two I remember seeing when I was just a little shit.
  • edited February 2011
    Until now, it hasn't mattered what happened to the shaving cream canister. I had this same argument with my idiot step-mother when we went to go see it(laughed my ass off when she jumped 3 feet up when the raptor's head came through the hole in the shed, PRICELESS!!!). The canister had enough coolant to last for thirty-six hours. By the time that the main characters got off the island, unless someone recovered the embryos in time(which we may find out in the game), the dino-embryos would have died. That's why it couldn't be a plot point. The only reason it can be a plot point in the game is that the game takes place during the events of the first movie.

I don't recall the details. I have not seen JP for at least 10+ years. I do not recall the 3 days worth of coolant...but given it was covered up, it opens the door to the embryos (I don't recall knowing they were embryos either) being preserved in the canister by natural coolants. The water/mud could have been cool enough to preserve them.

I always envisioned the sequel to be some discovery of the canister (perhaps by someone working with Newman (seinfeld reference in case you missed it)) at some later point when he did not return.

I didn't really care about the characters, although they could have been a part of a sequel where the canister plays a significant role.
  • edited February 2011
    I do not recall the 3 days worth of coolant...but given it was covered up.

When Nerdy is meeting with Dodgson at the near beginning of the movie, Dodgson tells him there is enough coolant within the canister for the allotted amount of time.

As for the mud being a coolant, if you remember when Nerdy was stealing the embryo's, they were stored in a pretty cool (Temp wise) freezing tube, so I really doubt the mud would provide near cool enough temperatures to keep the embryo's alive.

Anyways, to answer the OP, I like TLW. Few plotholes, but I really do like it, and JP is a series where my favorites are already numbered! The first was the best, TLW is second and the third is... eh.. down there.

For anyone wondering about why the Third Movie sucked, I can only give my own reasons or rather opinions on that. If we look at the situation, Isla Sorna was left alone for the dino's to run around in right? 4 years after the first movie, The Lost World happened. We didn't see any Spinosaurus running around then, did we? My memory is a little fuzzy on the third because I just don't like watching it, but I don't think InGen went back to the labs on Sorna to bring anymore Dino's back to life..

So.. there is a gaping hole in the foodchain when it does come to The Lost World and the 3rd movie.. Where is Spino? Dr. Grant and the gang were only on the island for a few days, with barely any equipment and caught the attention of the thing multiple times, surely tons of equipment that InGen had brought in would have warranted a curious glance by the Spino.

Anyways, I love the discussions on this board. :D
  • edited February 2011
    Kraven wrote: »
    So.. there is a gaping hole in the foodchain when it does come to The Lost World and the 3rd movie.. Where is Spino?

re: the Spinosaur, the closest thing to an answer you'll get:

"I don't remember seeing that on InGen's list."

"It wasn't. Which makes me wonder what else they were up to."

Doesn't exactly paint a complete picture, but there's at least an implication that SOMETHING untoward was going on.
  • edited February 2011
    Sisyphus wrote: »
    re: the Spinosaur, the closest thing to an answer you'll get:

"I don't remember seeing that on InGen's list."

"It wasn't. Which makes me wonder what else they were up to."

Doesn't exactly paint a complete picture, but there's at least an implication that SOMETHING untoward was going on.

Yeah, but like I had said... InGen had abandoned Isla Sorna as they had Isla Nublar, so the Spino would have been there when they had abandoned the island.
  • edited February 2011
    Kraven wrote: »
    Yeah, but like I had said... InGen had abandoned Isla Sorna as they had Isla Nublar, so the Spino would have been there when they had abandoned the island.

Unfortunately, I think we have all the information we're going to get regarding that front. It was a pretty big klaxon call for the sequel, but that thing seems mired in development hell.
  • edited February 2011
    Sisyphus wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I think we have all the information we're going to get regarding that front. It was a pretty big klaxon call for the sequel, but that thing seems mired in development hell.

Aye.. But it does make for discussion some great points in the movie.
  • edited March 2011
    I think most of the people that didn't like the second film read "the Lost World" book. Except for some of the characters having the same name and one or two other little things the book is completely different from the movie. The books story was AMAZING and when they completely changed it for the movie I think people who read it were very disappointed. I still really liked the movie, but the book was 100 times better. So, everyone out there saying they loved the movie needs to go buy the book, and read it. Trust me, it's worth it.
  • edited March 2011
    I didn't think that JP:TLW was really all that bad, but the heroes of it, are pretty mean spirited. Ian just doesn't make for a hero like Grant was. I mean you saw how Ian was in the first movie. Which is why I liked that the third movie brought Grant back.

I always felt sorry for Hammond in the first movie, he wanted to bring something amazing for all the world to see, without the need for being rich. And all the odds were against him. He was so ecstatic about the whole process, that he failed to notice, all that could go wrong with the Park.
  • edited March 2011
    Cartman has this to say regarding the movies "heroes"...
    SP-CARTMAN-TREE-HUGGING-HIPPIES.jpg
  • edited March 2011
    Personally for me the movies are like this. When Jurassic Park first came out it was a huge hyped deal. And the movie delivered. Spielberg showed this amazing fantasy world in beauty and danger. I for one will never forget the goosebumps I got when they first drive into the park and they see this big brachiosaurus eat leaves. The movie delivered beautiful shots of the world. even during the whole danger parts.

The second one kind of had that but it just seemed a bit of a weird movie. Even though I didnt even think of most of the plot holes that where mentioned here.

But by the time the third movie came out it was just a survival horror movie with dinosaurs. leaving out all the magic that to me was very much part of jurassic park. which I why I dont really care much for the 3rd movie.
  • edited March 2011
    the more the movies distanced from crichtons original story the more they lost quality
  • edited March 2011
    While I certainly don't hate the movie, it wasn't my favorite. I thought it just wasn't as entertaining as the first one however I think we can safely assume that it surpasses the third. I think Jeff Goldblum made it a little difficult to watch due to his ridiculous acting style but for the most part, I didn't mind the movie as much as I did with the third.
  • edited March 2011
    I actually liked Jeff Goldblum as the main character. He's one of my favorite actors. I would have to say The Fly was his best movie though. He should have won an award or something for that one cause he was really good in that one.
  • edited March 2011
    The Fly? I haven't seen it. Would you recommend it?
  • edited March 2011
    I would. It's the best mix of sci-fi, horror, and drama I have ever seen in one movie. The plot itself sounds silly. Seth (Jeff Goldblum) invents a machine that allows you to teliport from one place to the other. But when he tries it out himself a fly ends up in the machine with him. The machine gets confused and mixes their genes together. Now he is slowly changing into a Fly like creature and he has to figure out how to reverse the effects. It may sound very sci-fi, but the movie is very realistic and is very serious. And the meat of the story is actually the love story between Seth and the reporter (played by Geena Davis) .

I highly recomend it. Here's a trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BTPOlbW-Cc

I should also add the movie is very gory. Some sick stuff happens. But overall, the movie is just awesome and is a drama above all else. Oh, and it's a David Cronenberg film. He's an awesome director.
  • edited March 2011
    Oh yes you have to watch the fly. It's a classic. Avoid the sequels tough.
  • edited March 2011
    To be fair, Cronenberg/Goldblum's "The Fly" is a remake from an even more classic film, with Vincent Price. I haven't seen either of them, but I've heard that the remake is quite better.
  • edited March 2011
    @The Fly

I've seen both and they are pretty good.
    There's one big difference between the two versions.

:spoil-o:
    In the original from 1958 when the scientist and the fly got mixed during the teleporting process the exchange of body parts is immediately done.
    In the new adaption of 1986 it is a slow process of metamorphosis.
    Both movies work quite well although the original one seems to be more "realistic" to me.
    :spoil-o:

It's also necessary to bear in mind that a film of 1958 has special effects which are more than 50 years old and the cronenberg-version is also 25 years old. So you have to keep the movies in their "historic" context.
    But I can recommend both!
  • edited March 2011
    I've seen the 58 one as well. They are both really good.

None of the sequals were good though. The one that followed the 80's one was watchable but still not as good as the original. And the follow ups for the 58 ones were just stupid in my opinion. Especially, Curse of the Fly. That was just.... no. lol No.
  • edited March 2011
    I disliked The Lost World because the characters are all unlikeable except perhaps for Malcom. The plot is nonsensical and broken. At the end of the movie we get this speech from Hammond about leaving the dinos alone and letting nature take it's course. Nevermind the fact that those dinos are the result of bioengineering, and not nature. Every single human that we see in the movie is annoying and unrelateable. We see a lot of cool dinosaur action and chases, especially in San Diego, but it's cool, not thrilling. I'd say The Lost World is to Jurassic Park what Aliens Vs Predator is to the original Alien. In both cases the filmakers just took the beasts that were so awesome at the start of the franchise and shook them in our face for two hours, with no attempt to create a mood or tone similiar to the original films. The Lost World is just an excuse to show dinosaurs, which is cool if you like that, but it fails as a film. Because there are no likeable characters, I don't care what happens. I don't care if the dinosaurs take over San Diego and all the rest of America, because I'm not emotionally invested in any of the characters that would be effected. No emotional investment, no suspense. No suspense leads to apathy and boredom.

"A special effect without a story is... a pretty boring thing." George Lucas said that, and regardless of if he's held to that himself, the truth of the statement itself is undisputable.
  • edited March 2011
    I liked the book more than the cinema-adaption.
    In both cases: Jurassic Park & The Lost World.

In 1993 I saw JP in a local movie-theater and was pretty excited. Only 2 years later somehow I found out that there existed a novel which has been written before the movie by some guy called Michael Krigt-sh-ton (found out later that Crichton is called "Cryton"). It turned out to be my favourite book I've ever read at that time and I suddenly wondered why so many elements weren't used in the movie. I liked the scientific background, the turns in the story and the rather darker tone of the book.

In 1996 I was very surprised when I read the letters "The dinosaurs are back" in the shop-window of a local bookstore and I realized that Michael Crichton wrote a sequel to Jurassic Park. Of course I immediately bought and read the novel but after finishing it I had to say, that I didn't like it that much like the first book. Of course there were some elements and scenes I really found exciting and when it said on the cover "Steven Spielberg already bought the rights to make a movie out of it" it made me even more exciting.

This was the first time when I read a book before and saw a movie of it afterwards... well and I got not only surprised but also disappointed. The Lost World: Jurassic Park had nearly nothing in common with the novel's storyline.
    Although the book's plot wasn't that good the movie's one was even worse (IMO).

In the novels there always were only a few people (stranded) on the island fighting for survival. They had their equipment which seemed to protect them very well at the beginning and as the story continued more and more of the protection got lost.

In the movie TLW there appeared a huge group of people with dozens of specialized vehicles and loads of weapons and it all got damaged and lost in a few minutes. You didn't care about much of the characters because they were so many and seemed to be there just to be fed and justify some running and screaming sequences.

I liked the trailer in the novel, how it was described and how Malcolm's team used their whole equipment: the high-hide, the explorer and the motorbike. Every item was essential and urgent. The trailer was their base were they seemed to be safe.

In the movie the equipment is fastly introduced, you catch a glimpse of the trailer and the 2 mercedes when they drive by and afterwards people are running through the woods. You never see them arriving the island, finding out where to go and setting up their basecamp. It is all rushed. They actually never study dinosaurs, the hunters arrive and night falls in just afterwards. Malcom's team makes the captured dinosaurs run havoc and damage all of the hunter's stuff. (Bringing dinosaurs into a zoo is a very, very bad idea, we are the good guys so better harm or kill all the people who want to do that). Well and very soon there's the T-Rex attack, one car just got kicked over the cliff and minutes later everything else is gone. Boom.

In the novel Dodgson arrived on the island with only one jeep and tried to steal the dinosaur's eggs. His actions finally led to all the horror that followed.

Basically the whole story in the novel captured the element of being abandoned on the island and loosing more and more control when finally managing to escape.
    As in the first book all of the happenings stayed afar from the public. So you can believe that it all could have been taken place in reality. Could. There is no public evidence it hasn't.

The movie's decision to play godzilla in San Diego is just as laughable as the M-class beeing able to drag a trailer of 8.5 tons on a muddy surface back from a cliff when the hanger of the RV is dangling in the air, folded in an angle of 90 degrees.

The T-Rex attack in Jurassic Park was very intense and thrilling. The Rex running amok in San Diego is just trivial action.

I know that Michael Crichton only wrote the sequel because he was pushed to (he never wrote a sequel to any of his other successful novels). And you notice that when reading the book: it contains a lot of sequences that already feel like being from a movie.
    But Spielberg found even that too lame and pushed it all more to the limit.
    At least very much over the top. Lost the essence of the main story for a rather popcorn-esque experience to create a rushing action movie with dinosaurs.

For short, that's my opinion about The Lost World.
  • edited March 2011
    tope1983 wrote: »
    I liked the book more than the cinema-adaption.
    In both cases: Jurassic Park & The Lost World.

In 1993 I saw JP in a local movie-theater and was pretty excited. Only 2 years later somehow I found out that there existed a novel which has been written before the movie by some guy called Michael Krigt-sh-ton (found out later that Crichton is called "Cryton"). It turned out to be my favourite book I've ever read at that time and I suddenly wondered why so many elements weren't used in the movie. I liked the scientific background, the turns in the story and the rather darker tone of the book.

In 1996 I was very surprised when I read the letters "The dinosaurs are back" in the shop-window of a local bookstore and I realized that Michael Crichton wrote a sequel to Jurassic Park. Of course I immediately bought and read the novel but after finishing it I had to say, that I didn't like it that much like the first book. Of course there were some elements and scenes I really found exciting and when it said on the cover "Steven Spielberg already bought the rights to make a movie out of it" it made me even more exciting.

This was the first time when I read a book before and saw a movie of it afterwards... well and I got not only surprised but also disappointed. The Lost World: Jurassic Park had nearly nothing in common with the novel's storyline.
    Although the book's plot wasn't that good the movie's one was even worse (IMO).

In the novels there always were only a few people (stranded) on the island fighting for survival. They had their equipment which seemed to protect them very well at the beginning and as the story continued more and more of the protection got lost.

In the movie TLW there appeared a huge group of people with dozens of specialized vehicles and loads of weapons and it all got damaged and lost in a few minutes. You didn't care about much of the characters because they were so many and seemed to be there just to be fed and justify some running and screaming sequences.

I liked the trailer in the novel, how it was described and how Malcolm's team used their whole equipment: the high-hide, the explorer and the motorbike. Every item was essential and urgent. The trailer was their base were they seemed to be safe.

In the movie the equipment is fastly introduced, you catch a glimpse of the trailer and the 2 mercedes when they drive by and afterwards people are running through the woods. You never see them arriving the island, finding out where to go and setting up their basecamp. It is all rushed. They actually never study dinosaurs, the hunters arrive and night falls in just afterwards. Malcom's team makes the captured dinosaurs run havoc and damage all of the hunter's stuff. (Bringing dinosaurs into a zoo is a very, very bad idea, we are the good guys so better harm or kill all the people who want to do that). Well and very soon there's the T-Rex attack, one car just got kicked over the cliff and minutes later everything else is gone. Boom.

In the novel Dodgson arrived on the island with only one jeep and tried to steal the dinosaur's eggs. His actions finally led to all the horror that followed.

Basically the whole story in the novel captured the element of being abandoned on the island and loosing more and more control when finally managing to escape.
    As in the first book all of the happenings stayed afar from the public. So you can believe that it all could have been taken place in reality. Could. There is no public evidence it hasn't.

The movie's decision to play godzilla in San Diego is just as laughable as the M-class beeing able to drag a trailer of 8.5 tons on a muddy surface back from a cliff when the hanger of the RV is dangling in the air, folded in an angle of 90 degrees.

The T-Rex attack in Jurassic Park was very intense and thrilling. The Rex running amok in San Diego is just trivial action.

I know that Michael Crichton only wrote the sequel because he was pushed to (he never wrote a sequel to any of his other successful novels). And you notice that when reading the book: it contains a lot of sequences that already feel like being from a movie.
    But Spielberg found even that too lame and pushed it all more to the limit.
    At least very much over the top. Lost the essence of the main story for a rather popcorn-esque experience to create a rushing action movie with dinosaurs.

For short, that's my opinion about The Lost World.

I couldn't agree more.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.