Constructive Criticism...

edited November 2011 in Jurassic Park
Just thought I would quickly share some constructive criticism to the developers. Please refer to the enclosed picture I have prepared that explains my suggestions in question. All around, I'm sure it will be a remarkable and excellent game of course, but when it comes to certain details as the enclosed picture explains, I just have to scratch my head and ask "why" sometimes developers make the decisions they do and overlook details. I do sympathize though. This is a very big project I'm sure and your doing a wonderful job.

Considering, however, that the Nedry jeep detail thread got a positive response from Mark Darin of Telltale Games, it is very encouraging and rewarding to the fanatics of Jurassic Park that we can give our feedback and actually make some contributions into the design and content of the game. So thank you Telltale developers for listening.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Woah! Awesome! Where'd you find these assets to begin with? lol
  • edited March 2011
    Actually, I made them :) I presume you mean the attached sign and badge graphics to the right of the screenshots of course.

I have a "huge" database of Jurassic Park material and content that I developed over the course of several years since the start of the JP franchise. I've actually made some very famous contributions to the Jurassic Park fan community that mainly includes very detailed maps of the JP islands. I made many maps that precisely details the size, topography, and locales of the events of the JP films. I have found that most all the content I've developed is being hosted on JP-Legacy currently including the Nublar and Sorna maps that I made. What you see publicly on the Internet, however, is only a "small percentage" of projects that I released and I have many more that I have never publicly released.

So I have tons of vector-graphic Jurassic Park graphic files created in Illustrator that is consistent with the marketing style and such with each of the three JP movies.

If your developers are interested, I am willing to share all the JP content I have free-of-charge, no strings attached.
  • edited March 2011
    I SAW THOSE MAPS! You did an amazing job. Thank you. It's very refreshing to locate everything. I actually used a map on Operation Genesis to create a park! thanks :D
  • edited March 2011
    Wow! That is amazing jmine. I'll pass that on to the team.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2011
    Thanks. I'll take a look at the ID badges.
  • edited March 2011
    The team is aware and looking for ways to incorporate jmine's input! So rad!
  • edited March 2011
    Stuff like this thread is why Telltale is seriously my favorite developer.

If a Jurassic Park game was being done by anybody else, and someone pointed out an (admittedly minor) inaccuracy to the source material, the developers would probably go "Whatever, it's just a movie" to themselves without even giving a real response. But you guys went "Whoops, we made a mistake" and are now making the effort to fix it.

I know there's been a lot of negativity towards Telltale on the forums lately, but it's little things like this that remind us why you're great. :D
  • edited March 2011
    I went back and watched the movie and SAW the keycard on Arnold and Nedry. Good observation! :)
  • edited March 2011
    jmine83 wrote: »
    Just thought I would quickly share some constructive criticism to the developers. Please refer to the enclosed picture I have prepared that explains my suggestions in question. All around, I'm sure it will be a remarkable and excellent game of course, but when it comes to certain details as the enclosed picture explains, I just have to scratch my head and ask "why" sometimes developers make the decisions they do and overlook details. I do sympathize though. This is a very big project I'm sure and your doing a wonderful job.

Considering, however, that the Nedry jeep detail thread got a positive response from Mark Darin of Telltale Games, it is very encouraging and rewarding to the fanatics of Jurassic Park that we can give our feedback and actually make some contributions into the design and content of the game. So thank you Telltale developers for listening.
    Glad to see my Jeep thread helped you step up with your expertise, it's nice to see another JP fanatic around.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, the more media we have access to, the more we can catch before the game ships.

I'll be paying much more attention now...

Thanks for listening Telltale, it's absolutely a great feeling to know when someone is listening. Your going up there with the best.
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited March 2011
    Like I said in the other post... Go ahead and keep posting these little details and inaccuracies when you see them. We try to keep track of everything, but occasionally some things may slip through the cracks. We appreciate the help when you guys are keeping and eye out!
  • edited March 2011
    Personally, I'm not worried about minor mistakes that TellTale does with the game, but I do care about the time line and geography. Considering it's a game, I know that the geography of the island will be a little off, but that's for that game part. If the map itself or scenes from the movie are completely off, then I will be a bit disappointed. But I feel that TellTale is doing an excellent job, and for some reason I want to say that this game is going to be the best JP game made so far, due to what seems so far as a well written story.
  • edited March 2011
    jmine83, can you post those JP maps here?
  • edited March 2011
    I must say I'm very impressed with the amount of communication between the TellTale Team and the fans.
  • edited March 2011
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    Like I said in the other post... Go ahead and keep posting these little details and inaccuracies when you see them. We try to keep track of everything, but occasionally some things may slip through the cracks. We appreciate the help when you guys are keeping and eye out!

Its looking great, and I'm glad you guys go back and check over your work. This franchise is not to be taken lightly when making an addition to the universe of Jurassic Park, and it seems you guys are 100% taking the correct approach! Its also so great that you did a Jurassic Park I game because finally we get a new one that is better than then NES game! Sure, it was fun when we didnt have something else, but look! In a month we will have this game that will capture the imagination of the entire planet!! Your scientists have done something that has never been done before!!!!

But seriously, there were minor flaws in the first Jurassic Park film, but it still was the greatest grossing movie of all time for quite a while, and 18 years later (today), it still remains about #13 out of every movie ever created! Whatever you do from here Telltale, it will turn out good as long as you keep the feel of the first movie going with it (AND THE ORIGINAL DINOSAUR SOUND EFFECTS!!!!!!). The fact that you kept the original raptor style instead of going JPIII was great, so thanks again Telltale!

The team is aware and looking for ways to incorporate jmine's input! So rad!

Wow, Its still so hard to believe Telltale actually follows the customer's wishes (im sorry to sound so suprised, i just feel bad i hadnt come accross your company before)! Most companies do it thier way and expect to make sales but I have done some research on your guys' work and it seems that you actually care!!!! Great to know, I definetaly feel comfortable investing my money in your projects Telltale!!!
  • edited March 2011
    RexMaster wrote: »
    Wow, Its still so hard to believe Telltale actually follows the customer's wishes (im sorry to sound so suprised, i just feel bad i hadnt come accross your company before)! Most companies do it thier way and expect to make sales but I have done some research on your guys' work and it seems that you actually care!!!! Great to know, I definetaly feel comfortable investing my money in your projects Telltale!!!

Yeah, I definitely plan to buy your games in the future.
  • edited March 2011
    Telltale, you are simply awesome :D Threads like these show why a company such as NBC Universal trusted you with 2 of its prime franchises :D

Keep up the awesome work!
  • edited March 2011
    Nice catch jmine! You've got an eye for detail. That's awesome that you were able to recreate the badges and sign on illustrator. I've checked out the maps on JP Legacy and those are really good too. Like others have said, I think it's awesome that Telltale takes what the fans say into consideration.
  • edited March 2011
    Over at JPLegacy, there's talk of making a group to comb through all the media released so far for inaccuracies. Dunno who'd be interesting in forming/setting up one.
  • edited March 2011
    Something I noticed in the gameplay footage at the triceratops paddock is that there is no trench/moat within the fence. Was the trench/moat in all of the dinosaur paddocks or were there some without it?
  • edited March 2011
    Something I noticed in the gameplay footage at the triceratops paddock is that there is no trench/moat within the fence. Was the trench/moat in all of the dinosaur paddocks or were there some without it?

Some had a very narrow, shallow trench compared to the more dangerous dinosaurs, and only in places that placed the visitors close to the dinos
  • edited March 2011
    Alright, thanks for clearing that up for me
  • edited March 2011
    Something else I noticed in the trailer were two white objects in the background where Nima was walking. Are these the motion cameras? I just noticed them and was curious.
    jp_the_game_by_ghansen89-d3c1bde.png
  • edited March 2011
    Something else I noticed in the trailer were two white objects in the background where Nima was walking. Are these the motion cameras? I just noticed them and was curious.
    jp_the_game_by_ghansen89-d3c1bde.png

I never noticed them before but today I just found them in the movie too:
    eastdockroad.jpg

I think they are some sort of traffic signs to mark the side of the road because it seems that behind the East Dock sign there's a rock tunnel which is very narrow.

EDIT:
    and I think I just discovered a movie mistake.
    before Nedry stumbles down the slope the arrow at the East Dock sign points straight ahead and not to the left...
    eastdockroad1.jpg
  • edited March 2011
    Yeah, that makes sense. That road is pretty narrow. I never noticed them in the movie before but I caught a glimpse of them in the trailer. Nice pics by the way tope. Telltale is doing a great job with attention to detail.
  • edited March 2011
    I wish we had JP on digitally remastered and on bluray... :(
  • edited March 2011
    Bombillazo wrote: »
    I wish we had JP on digitally remastered and on bluray... :(

It should come out this year, according to this:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5739

Let's hope it's true. Spielberg already said he wants to do "something special" with this blu ray release.
  • edited March 2011
    Did any of you notice between the two pictures of the boat docks the sign goes from sideways to pointing up?
  • edited March 2011
  • edited March 2011
    Watsamax wrote: »
    Did any of you notice between the two pictures of the boat docks the sign goes from sideways to pointing up?

If I am right, Jurassic park is one of those movies with high percentage of mistakes and goofs. But, this sign direction is a good find. ;)
  • edited March 2011
    I noticed a mistake in the trailer. It's at the beginning when that guy calls someone at the dock, asking "Where the hell is Nedry?" Well, at this point, the electricity was already out, and the telephones didn't work either...
  • edited March 2011
    I noticed a mistake in the trailer. It's at the beginning when that guy calls someone at the dock, asking "Where the hell is Nedry?" Well, at this point, the electricity was already out, and the telephones didn't work either...

My guess was that, it was a voice over the man speaking on the phone, so it looks like he's talking on the phone.
  • edited March 2011
    Could it be separate from the park's power structure?
  • edited March 2011
    It should come out this year, according to this:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5739

Let's hope it's true. Spielberg already said he wants to do "something special" with this blu ray release.

"Something special?" Oh good lord, I hope he's not taking a page out of his friend Lucas's book...
  • edited March 2011
    "Something special?" Oh good lord, I hope he's not taking a page out of his friend Lucas's book...

He already did it with E.T.!

Lets hope it's going to be just new bonus content, digital remastering and an awesome collectors edition.
  • edited March 2011

Lets hope it's going to be just new bonus content, digital remastering and an awesome collectors edition.

I'm hoping they set some kind of precedent with the BTTF release. Blu-ray, digital, and lots of new features and documentaries.
  • edited March 2011
    (Skip to the 2nd paragraph and on if you want to see my input on the media thus far.)

Ok, so I feel like I should explain myself before I continue. In 1993/1994 I was 6/7 years old. My mom, being the responsible and friggin' awesome mom that she is, purchased the VHS of Jurassic Park - and I was hooked. My younger brothers were born, and they too were introduced to Jurassic Park.. mainly due to my obsession. Next came The Lost World. Before the movie was released in theaters, my mom purchased the large T-REX action figure - you know, the one that could actually swallow the human hunters action figures?! So badass.. I know. Anyway, she ended up taking me to see The Lost World when I was 10 too many times to count. I was old enough to see/enjoy JPIII with my friends. But fast forward to today, Jurassic Park at Universal Studios: Islands of Adventure gives ALL of us goosebumps when we walk into the park. Ride the River Adventure. Walk up the stairs in the Visitor Center. The point is that my family? We're Jurassic Park FREAKS! My mom and my 13 year old brother are PUMPED for your game, specifically for the XBOX 360. I'm currently pumping up the entire Best Buy where I work for this release as well.. haha.

Now.. on to the goods. I was showing my mom and my little brother the hands-on demo, from Nick Herman and Joe Pinney, with the Triceratops vs. T-Rex encounter, starring the characters of Harding and his daughter. ( Found here: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-road-show-jurassic-park/17-3818/?ref=nf ).

My mom brought up the topic after the creators mentioned that the Rex has JUST escaped and was currently "eating the lawyer". Wasn't this when the island was being pummeled by the hurricane? There should be high wind, tons of rain, and dark and ominous skies.. Not perfectly still foilage, a full moon in the sky, and no lightning/thunder!? C'mon! Lol! I think that the weather in both Jurassic Park as well as The Lost World played extremely important roles. It keeps the tension high. It's stressful. It works well with the action that's being played out, you know? If I'm playing Harding, trying to get this massive dinosaur out of the way before God knows what happens next, and there's a massive storm? I'm gonna try to hurry the hell up! And seeing the Rex turn the corner, maybe with some perfectly timed lightning/thunder? Just a thought, guys.

I love these movies, therefore I love you Telltale! I hope my family and I can help!! I can't wait until next month! >D
  • edited March 2011

Oh lord, I remember now. Remastered awesome effects, then replacing the guns with walkie talkies...geez...
  • edited March 2011
    Our critics are our friends, they show us our faults.
  • edited March 2011
    Edit
  • edited March 2011
    So what do you guys think about the weather in the released footage, as I put forth above?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.