Raptors only in Episode 1!?

edited November 2011 in Jurassic Park
Now in the movie its stated there are 3 raptors on Nublar.

So we know that the first episode takes place during the later events of the movie. Now lets just assume that the first episode ends around the same time as the helicopter is rescuing Grant, Ellie and the other survivors.

So at this point 2 raptors have been killed by the T-rex, while the third is slowly dying in the freezer the kids locked her in.

That means that unless telltale comes up with another weird twist (ie the Troodon) there are NO MORE RAPTORS ROAMING JURASSIC PARK. Therefore none the game characters can encounter....

So I wonder how TellTale is going to handle this in order to keep the contiuity? Will they explain that there were actually more raptors? Did theye forget that there 3 raptors and not address this? Will we not see anymore raptors after episode 1?

Comments

• edited August 2011
    It's simple. Remember, the dinosaurs are breeding.
  • edited August 2011
    There are so many issues with that you just said. It wouldn't work.
  • edited August 2011
    Please explain!
  • edited August 2011
    Simple, there were originally 8 raptors but when they introduced the big one(the male) it Killed all but two of the others. This was when the raptors had their own pen like the other animals. Once the raptors started breeding,the offspring ran into the jungle. Sometime afterward, the three adult raptors left were placed in the pen seen in the movie.

The eggs seen in the film belong to raptors, note the V shaped footprints. There is a pack remaining on Isla Nublar.

Surprisingly, the three raptors in the film broke out of their Lenin order to chase John Arnold. Arnold would have seen the destroyed cage and ran back to the shelter so after he walked by the raptors they started to escape.
  • edited August 2011
    HumanToast wrote: »
    Simple, there were originally 8 raptors but when they introduced the big one(the male) it Killed all but two of the others. This was when the raptors had their own pen like the other animals. Once the raptors started breeding,the offspring ran into the jungle. Sometime afterward, the three adult raptors left were placed in the pen seen in the movie.

The eggs seen in the film belong to raptors, note the V shaped footprints. There is a pack remaining on Isla Nublar.

Surprisingly, the three raptors in the film broke out of their Lenin order to chase John Arnold. Arnold would have seen the destroyed cage and ran back to the shelter so after he walked by the raptors they started to escape.

My point exactly.
  • edited August 2011
    The dinosaurs reproduced but the Velociraptor has a much smaller area and monitored. The Velociraptor not been fully outside this small area and state very well guarded by human guards. It is impossible not to notice new velociraptors.

In the film also appears only one Dilophosaurus and the game there are 4 or 5 of adult size.
  • edited August 2011
    The raptors were kept in a rather small cage/pen. They would have known if they were breeding. Its not like the were roaming free like the gallis/brahio/trikes/ etc. They would have known if they were breeding specially muldoon who kept an open eye.

If they were breeding, their offspring were probably still babies, otherwise muldoon or someone would have noticed that there are more than 3 large raptors in the pen.

Didn't Muldoon even say that the "Big One" killed the other raptors and only left two. Which heavilty implies that he or someone is clearly keeping track of the raptors in the park.

One of the characters even asks ellee "You sure the 3rd one's contained". She replies "yes...unless they figure out how to open doors"
  • edited August 2011

Where does it even say that raptors had their own large open pen originally? and later transferred to the one seen in the movies?

We don't know who the eggs belonged to maybe their TROODON eggs...lol....
  • edited August 2011
    Raptors are gonna be in the game anyway so Im not gonna question it. I just know they were breeding, and I'm sticking to that.
  • edited August 2011
    JPFan wrote: »
    The dinosaurs reproduced but the Velociraptor has a much smaller area and monitored. The Velociraptor not been fully outside this small area and state very well guarded by human guards. It is impossible not to notice new velociraptors.

In the film also appears only one Dilophosaurus and the game there are 4 or 5 of adult size.

The dilophosaur thing is really not that hard to understand. Clearly Nedry was lucky enough to only encounter one. I can only assume the stench of Nedry's body later attracted more. Plus the tour guide voice even says "herd" implying that there is more than one dilophosaur in the park.
  • edited August 2011
    FPug wrote: »
    Raptors are gonna be in the game anyway so Im not gonna question it. I just know they were breeding, and I'm sticking to that.

I'm not questioning it per se. I simply wonder how telltale is going to handle this issue. You're assuming the raptors are breeding. Which it is implied that they might be I'm not denying that. BUT THESE DINOS WERE HEAVILY MONITORED in a relatively small pen. The staff would have known about this.

Grant would have freaked out if he knew the nest he encountered belonged to raptors. He clearly didn't suspect this.
  • edited August 2011
    mannyguy1 wrote: »
    I'm not questioning it per se. I simply wonder how telltale is going to handle this issue. You're assuming the raptors are breeding. Which it is implied that they might be I'm not denying that. BUT THESE DINOS WERE HEAVILY MONITORED in a relatively small pen. The staff would have known about this.

Grant would have freaked out if he knew the nest he encountered belonged to raptors. He clearly didn't suspect this.

Now that you mention it, I don't know if all the raptors were really in that small pen. I think it was just The Big One and her three accomplices. Because Doctor Grant held a baby raptor, I know it's still a baby by now, but how do we know they didn't just put the other raptors in the regular paddock instead of the holding pen where The Big One stayed. Idk, I'm going on. But, we know they were moved into that pen from the raptor paddock BECAUSE they killed the other ones.
  • edited August 2011
    The dilophosaur thing is really not that hard to understand. Clearly Nedry was lucky enough to only encounter one. I can only assume the stench of Nedry's body later attracted more. Plus the tour guide voice even says "herd" implying that there is more than one dilophosaur in the park.

I watched the film in Spanish of Spain. The narrator says that the dinosaur is a Dilophosaurus, (referring to one). There is probably a mistranslation in this part, I guess you have seen the version with the original dialogues of the actors in English. THX for the information.
  • edited August 2011
    Well, I guess Telltale will want to feature Troodons more prominently after their introductory scene... personally, I'd love to see (or play) a scene where the heroes investigate a Troodon nest, much like at the end of the novel with the Raptor nest.

As for the Raptors, I also think that they breed.

There is this picture:
    3.jpg

I have no idea when this could take place, because the Raptors escape only after Arnold switches off everything during the second day of the crisis, and they are killed before sunset. That can only mean there are Raptors in the wild too.
  • edited August 2011
    Now that you mention it, I don't know if all the raptors were really in that small pen. I think it was just The Big One and her three accomplices. Because Doctor Grant held a baby raptor, I know it's still a baby by now, but how do we know they didn't just put the other raptors in the regular paddock instead of the holding pen where The Big One stayed. Idk, I'm going on. But, we know they were moved into that pen from the raptor paddock BECAUSE they killed the other ones.

The "big one" has 2 accomplices not 3. There are a total of 3 raptors on the island according to the first movie.
    I see where you're theory stems from and maybe telltale will explain it, if they do, in that way. But I still see many issues. Muldoon never says that they relocated them from an open enclosure because of the "big one" killing other raptors.
    Right now every theory is just that A THEORY. Its all speculation. The first movie establishes that only 3 raptors are in isla sorna and until the game decides to tweak this theory in a reasonable and plausible way its safe to assume only 3 raptors were in the island at the time of Jurassic Park.

Knowing the level of danger it seems stupid that they would have more raptors in an open space enclosure in Isla Nublar. Granted, they're obviously housing baby raptors since we saw one being born. But those didn't really pose a threat.

If you really want to nit pick. We could just point out how the design of the park should have really been designed with potential power outages in mind, specially the raptor pen.
  • edited August 2011
    MasCot wrote: »
    Well, I guess Telltale will want to feature Troodons more prominently after their introductory scene... personally, I'd love to see (or play) a scene where the heroes investigate a Troodon nest, much like at the end of the novel with the Raptor nest.

As for the Raptors, I also think that they breed.

There is this picture:
    3.jpg

I have no idea when this could take place, because the Raptors escape only after Arnold switches off everything during the second day of the crisis, and they are killed before sunset. That can only mean there are Raptors in the wild too.

Thats an interesting picture, but these could be the pair of raptors that killed Muldoon. This could easily take place after they kill him and before entering the kitchen. Or after escaping the pen and before the attack on muldoon.
    Who knows? But having fully grown raptors roaming around the park and breeding seems like something that would have been detected. After all these are larger day creatures. Where as the troodon are smaller and nocturnal hunters which would be harder to detect. But who knows telltale might have already decided to stick to this theory
  • edited August 2011
    Thats an interesting picture, but these could be the pair of raptors that killed Muldoon. This could easily take place after they kill him and before entering the kitchen. Or after escaping the pen and before the attack on muldoon.
    Who knows? But having fully grown raptors roaming around the park and breeding seems like something that would have been detected. After all these are larger day creatures. Where as the troodon are smaller and nocturnal hunters which would be harder to detect.
    These cannot be the Raptors that killed Muldoon, because it is nighttime in the screenshot and the Raptors were killed before sunset. Everything is dark and the car's headlights are on.

Detection of a wild population is a problem, so I wonder how TellTale will deal with this... in the novel, no one looks around in the Park at night and the computer doesn't count all the animals, it just checks whether all the expected dinos are there.
  • edited August 2011
    Knowing the level of danger it seems stupid that they would have more raptors in an open space enclosure in Isla Nublar. Granted, they're obviously housing baby raptors since we saw one being born. But those didn't really pose a threat..

They're lethal at 8 months, and I do mean Lethal. :D
  • edited August 2011
    These cannot be the Raptors that killed Muldoon, because it is nighttime in the screenshot and the Raptors were killed before sunset. Everything is dark and the car's headlights are on.

Detection of a wild population is a problem, so I wonder how TellTale will deal with this... in the novel, no one looks around in the Park at night and the computer doesn't count all the animals, it just checks whether all the expected dinos are there.

I really doubt they are the raptors that killed Muldoon. BUT they could be, because, Notice the Jeep is still on top of the hill where nedry died. We know that Nima came only a short while after the power was shutting off because she discovers Nedry's body, is attacked, and is taken by Harding and Jess at night, and Harding was on his way to the docks when he found her. So I'm not saying they are the ones that killed Muldoon, but they could be.
  • edited August 2011
    Going by what we saw in the movie, I assume this. The raptors were kept in a paddock in the park like the rest of the dinosaurs. When the big one came in, she killed all but two of the rest. They then moved the remaining raptors into the holding pen, which is when that one worker was killed at the beginning of the movie, which started the lawsuit by the family of that worker, which resulted in the investors becoming "very, very anxious."

Also, consider this. The raptor eggs and prints that Grant and the kids find are fairly recent tracks. Why do I say this? It rained the night before and would have washed the tracks away. Also, the egg discovery occurred before Arnold shut down the main power and the raptors escaped.
  • edited August 2011
    Where does it even say that raptors had their own large open pen originally? and later transferred to the one seen in the movies?

Did you read the book? It explains it all. They couldn't be Troodons either because the footprints are too large.
    JPFan wrote: »

We only see 1 Dilophosaur in the movie but even in the tour the car radio says that there is a herd of Dilophosaur.

With the raptors I have already explained that the raptors breed in the park before being moved.
    The raptors were kept in a rather small cage/pen. They would have known if they were breeding. Its not like the were roaming free like the gallis/brahio/trikes/ etc. They would have known if they were breeding specially muldoon who kept an open eye.

If they were breeding, their offspring were probably still babies, otherwise muldoon or someone would have noticed that there are more than 3 large raptors in the pen.

Didn't Muldoon even say that the "Big One" killed the other raptors and only left two. Which heavilty implies that he or someone is clearly keeping track of the raptors in the park.

One of the characters even asks ellee "You sure the 3rd one's contained". She replies "yes...unless they figure out how to open doors"

I can't believe that you didn't read my post, it clearly said that the raptors were in the park just like the other animals.

Read the book and stop being stupid lol....
    The "big one" has 2 accomplices not 3. There are a total of 3 raptors on the island according to the first movie.
    I see where you're theory stems from and maybe telltale will explain it, if they do, in that way. But I still see many issues. Muldoon never says that they relocated them from an open enclosure because of the "big one" killing other raptors.
    Right now every theory is just that A THEORY. Its all speculation. The first movie establishes that only 3 raptors are in isla sorna and until the game decides to tweak this theory in a reasonable and plausible way its safe to assume only 3 raptors were in the island at the time of Jurassic Park.

Knowing the level of danger it seems stupid that they would have more raptors in an open space enclosure in Isla Nublar. Granted, they're obviously housing baby raptors since we saw one being born. But those didn't really pose a threat.

If you really want to nit pick. We could just point out how the design of the park should have really been designed with potential power outages in mind, specially the raptor pen.

Let alone the fact that I want to punch you for ignoring the obvious, a theory is not what was said by anyone on the the forum. I hope that I don't have to explain that Evolution, Gravity and Germs are all Theories.
  • edited August 2011

Touche! The book goes into great detail that there was a population of raptors on the island which weren't known about or being monitored. And the footprints in the movie are most definitely little raptors, 2 toes. Compare the footprints from the broken fence scene at the raptor pen to the ones at the egg clutch. And to make little raptors it takes bigger raptors, so there are more somewhere on the island :)
  • edited August 2011
    raptorpaddock.jpg

This is the large paddock the raptors were originally placed in until the "big one" killed five of the seven other raptors, leaving the three seen in the movie. Years or months before, possibly even after most of the raptors were killed off, at least one raptor changed gender via their frog DNA and bred with another raptor. Babies (who knows how many) were loose in the paddock, easily unnoticeable. The park staff moved the three adults to a heavily guarded pen. They didn't expect any more raptors in their paddock since they were supposedly all female and breeding was "impossible." Over time, those raptors grew up and roamed freely in their paddock, feeding on whatever they could find (animals, possibly each other.) Park staff weren't keeping an eye on the paddock since there weren't any known animals still within its fences. In the book, the computer keeps track of only the expected number of animals (in this case, zero). Though I don't believe it was mentioned, I assume this was intended to be the case in the film version as well, since it easily explains the raptor situation.

Now, on Grant and the kids' trek back to the Visitor's Center, they passed through this paddock and saw the baby raptors' tracks and egg clutch (probably one of many). If you check the map, the paddocks they pass through are in order as they travel west towards the VC, keeping this theory of continuity solid.

Long story short... In their old paddock, raptors bred and the offspring went unnoticed. The three known surviving raptors were moved. Fast forward a while, and the baby raptors are now sub-adults/adults loose and still breeding within the paddock, remaining unnoticed by staff. The night of the JP disaster, Nedry shuts of the power to the park fences (not the pen with the three raptors) and the unnoticed raptors from the paddock are loose during the night of Nedry's death. Hence, raptors being near his Jeep. The next day, the three older raptors escape and are dealt with accordingly.

Anything not lining up?
  • edited August 2011
    Guys stop being rude to each other try to keep the discussion moving along.
  • edited August 2011
    Did you read the book? It explains it all. They couldn't be Troodons either because the footprints are too large.

We only see 1 Dilophosaur in the movie but even in the tour the car radio says that there is a herd of Dilophosaur.

With the raptors I have already explained that the raptors breed in the park before being moved.

I can't believe that you didn't read my post, it clearly said that the raptors were in the park just like the other animals.

Let alone the fact that I want to punch you for ignoring the obvious, a theory is not what was said by anyone on the the forum. I hope that I don't have to explain that Evolution, Gravity and Germs are all Theories.

Dude number one you need to relax. Number two, I read your post and responded to it...without personal insults too. Number three, yes I read the book. Number four, just because its true in the book doesn't mean its true in the movie. Number five, the comment about the troodon eggs was kinda a tease...thats why i included an LOL at the end. Number six, most of the talk here is speculation and theory nothing is really set in stone unless the movie clearly states it or shows it. Number seven, make sure you read comments carefully before you take them personally and start prematurely attacking people.

P.S. I had already explained the Dilophosaur thing in a previous post.
    AndyCullen wrote: »
    raptorpaddock.jpg

This is the large paddock the raptors were originally placed in until the "big one" killed five of the seven other raptors, leaving the three seen in the movie. Years or months before, possibly even after most of the raptors were killed off, at least one raptor changed gender via their frog DNA and bred with another raptor. Babies (who knows how many) were loose in the paddock, easily unnoticeable. The park staff moved the three adults to a heavily guarded pen. They didn't expect any more raptors in their paddock since they were supposedly all female and breeding was "impossible." Over time, those raptors grew up and roamed freely in their paddock, feeding on whatever they could find (animals, possibly each other.) Park staff weren't keeping an eye on the paddock since there weren't any known animals still within its fences. In the book, the computer keeps track of only the expected number of animals (in this case, zero). Though I don't believe it was mentioned, I assume this was intended to be the case in the film version as well, since it easily explains the raptor situation.

Now, on Grant and the kids' trek back to the Visitor's Center, they passed through this paddock and saw the baby raptors' tracks and egg clutch (probably one of many). If you check the map, the paddocks they pass through are in order as they travel west towards the VC, keeping this theory of continuity solid.

Long story short... In their old paddock, raptors bred and the offspring went unnoticed. The three known surviving raptors were moved. Fast forward a while, and the baby raptors are now sub-adults/adults loose and still breeding within the paddock, remaining unnoticed by staff. The night of the JP disaster, Nedry shuts of the power to the park fences (not the pen with the three raptors) and the unnoticed raptors from the paddock are loose during the night of Nedry's death. Hence, raptors being near his Jeep. The next day, the three older raptors escape and are dealt with accordingly.

Anything not lining up?

Now we can hope telltale acknowledges this theory and uses it...but only time will tell
    Touche! The book goes into great detail that there was a population of raptors on the island which weren't known about or being monitored. And the footprints in the movie are most definitely little raptors, 2 toes. Compare the footprints from the broken fence scene at the raptor pen to the ones at the egg clutch. And to make little raptors it takes bigger raptors, so there are more somewhere on the island :)

But don't troodon have similar feet to raptors? This is why I joked that maybe telltale could explain that they're troodon eggs.

GUYS I'M JUST PLAYING DEVIL'S ADVOCATE HERE FOR THE SAKE OF DISCUSSION....JUST FYI
  • edited August 2011
    Guys start using the edit button please! and thank you!
  • edited August 2011
    I really doubt they are the raptors that killed Muldoon. BUT they could be, because, Notice the Jeep is still on top of the hill where nedry died. We know that Nima came only a short while after the power was shutting off because she discovers Nedry's body, is attacked, and is taken by Harding and Jess at night, and Harding was on his way to the docks when he found her. So I'm not saying they are the ones that killed Muldoon, but they could be.
    I don't think they could be the Raptors that killed Muldoon, because Nedry didn't turn off the electricity in the Raptor Pen.

When Nedry turned off the fences in the Park, Muldoon asked Arnold whether the raptor cage was still on and Arnold said yes, Nedry didn't dare to release the three Raptors, they escaped only after Arnold reset the whole system next day.

So I'm all in favor of AndyCullen's theory.:)

And mannyguy has a point too, the eggs that Grant finds can belong to Troodons, though I think Telltale said the Troodons weren't bred by InGen, I'm not sure, so I guess they got on the island some other way.

It's possible that with the Troodons, Telltale wants to follow up on JPIII when it seems apparent that InGen (or someone in InGen) made some dinosaurs they did not admit to.
  • edited August 2011
    But don't troodon have similar feet to raptors? This is why I joked that maybe telltale could explain that they're troodon eggs.

GUYS I'M JUST PLAYING DEVIL'S ADVOCATE HERE FOR THE SAKE OF DISCUSSION....JUST FYI[/QUOTE]

Trollololololol

I'm just messin with you bra. Yeah, troodons have a similar foot to the raptors because they have common ancestry and have kept the same body shape but they are so far apart that they are in different dinosaur families.
  • edited August 2011
    I don't think they could be the Raptors that killed Muldoon, because Nedry didn't turn off the electricity in the Raptor Pen.

When Nedry turned off the fences in the Park, Muldoon asked Arnold whether the raptor cage was still on and Arnold said yes, Nedry didn't dare to release the three Raptors, they escaped only after Arnold reset the whole system next day.

So I'm all in favor of AndyCullen's theory.:)

And mannyguy has a point too, the eggs that Grant finds can belong to Troodons, though I think Telltale said the Troodons weren't bred by InGen, I'm not sure, so I guess they got on the island some other way.

It's possible that with the Troodons, Telltale wants to follow up on JPIII when it seems apparent that InGen (or someone in InGen) made some dinosaurs they did not admit to.

Ok, I hope that Telltale doesn't make it that another company is making dinosaur too and putting them on an island with other dinosaurs because that doesn't make sense. The Troodons still could not have made the footprints in the movie because the prints are too big.
  • edited August 2011
    Ok, I hope that Telltale doesn't make it that another company is making dinosaur too and putting them on an island with other dinosaurs because that doesn't make sense. The Troodons still could not have made the footprints in the movie because the prints are too big.

well id think that juvi troodons and juvi raptors wouldnt be too far off in size
    it would make sense for troodon eggs, i did hear somewhere that in cannon ingen avoids bankruptcy by selling the jurassic park ampuatheater in san diego? perhaps they are still in buissness for Jp4?
  • edited August 2011

GUYS I'M JUST PLAYING DEVIL'S ADVOCATE HERE FOR THE SAKE OF DISCUSSION....JUST FYI

Trollololololol

I'm just messin with you bra. Yeah, troodons have a similar foot to the raptors because they have common ancestry and have kept the same body shape but they are so far apart that they are in different dinosaur families.

You can go see my best trolling skills over at the "ign is worried...maybe tell tale should listen" :)

So I'm all in favor of AndyCullen's theory.

Agreed with everything you just said! Totally forgot the the picture in question takes place at nite, when according to the movie the raptor pen was still fully electrified.
  • edited August 2011
    Park was in construction few years before Grant and company arrived. We don't know when dinosaurs escaped, but those eggs that are shown in the movie, must be product of an adult ;). So there are at least two adults roaming around the island, freely. If not more. I remember, in the book, there was entire colony of raptors. And some of them even migrated to the mainland...
  • edited August 2011

raptorpaddock.jpg
    That's the original raptor pen in the park.

The raptors were put in there as every other animal. No special surveillance.
    After some time the staff found out that the raptors were in fact very dangerous, if not too dangerous to be stored in the park.
    During that time they started breeding. Then the "big one" was brought into the paddock, killing all of the original ones but two. Plus they started to attack the fences and that was the final reason why the (official) three remaining raptors were put into the special high security pen.
  • edited August 2011
    Yeah someone exlained that too me. Thanks!

Notice that as the raptor paddock goes off line, on the bottom right says "failed" reserve paddock, instead of raptor paddock. Which I guess supports the idea that it was orginally a raptor paddock and then then became a reserve paddock.

You can also notice the theres paddocks for the spitter, brachio, trike, t-rex and gallis going off line. No parasaur paddock...but I guess thats because they were housed in the brachio paddock.
  • edited August 2011
    You can also notice the theres paddocks for the spitter, brachio, trike, t-rex and gallis going off line. No parasaur paddock...but I guess thats because they were housed in the brachio paddock.
    Right, the brachio and parasaur paddocks are one in the same. That's how it was in the novels too, sauropods and hadrosaurs depended on each other for a symbiote relationship. The novel likens their relationship to the modern Zebra-Baboon symbiosis. The Zebras and Sauropods provide protection and the Baboons and Hadrosaurs have keen eyesight to locate predators. I hope that we get to see the brachios in the game too, they said that paras would be in it so maybe we'll see some brachs.
  • edited August 2011
    Agreed. I really hope they trow in Stegosaurus too. It would be really cool to see them look like the lost world stegosaurus to add more continuity. I always thought it made more sense for stegosaurs to go in the Brachio paddock and Parasaurs with the trikes or galli...
  • edited August 2011
    Agreed. I really hope they trow in Stegosaurus too. It would be really cool to see them look like the lost world stegosaurus to add more continuity. I always thought it made more sense for stegosaurs to go in the Brachio paddock and Parasaurs with the trikes or galli...
    I hope they have the stegos in the game too. They are confirmed after all. If they're going to make up their own story and put in their own creatures then they might as well have some of the unseen confirmed dinos in the park too. Yeah, I guess the park constructors just didn't think that having them in paddocks based on the age they lived in was as convienient as the temperment of the animals together. The Brachs could have been aggressive towards the stegos and vice versa despite them both being jurassic dinosaurs and maybe the brachs didn't mind the paras so much.
  • edited August 2011

The book is a completely different canon, don't mix them.

The game is also not film canon.
  • edited August 2011
    Oviraptor wrote: »
    The book is a completely different canon, don't mix them.

The game is also not film canon.

I beg to differ.
  • edited August 2011
    Icedhope wrote: »
    I beg to differ.

You do that, but you're wrong.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.