Raptors only in Episode 1!?

2»

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Oviraptor wrote: »
    You do that, but you're wrong.

How can I possibly be wrong? Universal wanted to make a canon game to the movie. Telltale is making a canon game to the movie.

What makes the game not canon?
  • edited August 2011
    Oviraptor wrote: »
    You do that, but you're wrong.

LOL except not. Telltale only has the rights to the movies! They have no choice but to be Canonical!
  • edited August 2011
    Icedhope wrote: »
    How can I possibly be wrong? Universal wanted to make a canon game to the movie. Telltale is making a canon game to the movie.
    It appears likely that Telltale are contractually obliged to make their game consistent with the movies (which is what the pop-culture notion of 'canon' amounts to). But I would be quite surprised indeed if Universal have made any commitment to remain consistent with the game in any future movies they might choose to make.
  • edited August 2011
    In the novel they explain that Velociraptors are nocturnal and only really moved around at night(the "wild bred" ones at least), avoiding detection on the security cameras(nobody watched the park's cameras at night) and they fed on mostly rats which the island had quite a problem with up until a year or two before the tour. (the raptors effectively ended the rat problem lol). That's how, according to the novel, the "wild bred" population of Velociraptors managed to avoid detection.

On top of that the motion sensors where actually only set to detect the 8 raptors in captivity, it acknowledged only 8 animals. so when a "wild" raptor showed up on the motion sensors it was simply ignored by the computer counting system and assumed to be a bird or other wild animal on the island. Only if one of the 8 recorded animals went missing would the computer sent any sort of warning.

I'd assume that a similar scenario could be used to explain the wild raptors in the movie as well.
  • edited August 2011
    I think the footage that was shown of the raptors was from Episode 3. But whatever episode they happen to be in we can all rest assured that we will continue to never look at birds the same way.
  • edited October 2011
    AndyCullen wrote: »
    raptorpaddock.jpg

This is the large paddock the raptors were originally placed in until the "big one" killed five of the seven other raptors, leaving the three seen in the movie. Years or months before, possibly even after most of the raptors were killed off, at least one raptor changed gender via their frog DNA and bred with another raptor. Babies (who knows how many) were loose in the paddock, easily unnoticeable. The park staff moved the three adults to a heavily guarded pen. They didn't expect any more raptors in their paddock since they were supposedly all female and breeding was "impossible." Over time, those raptors grew up and roamed freely in their paddock, feeding on whatever they could find (animals, possibly each other.) Park staff weren't keeping an eye on the paddock since there weren't any known animals still within its fences. In the book, the computer keeps track of only the expected number of animals (in this case, zero). Though I don't believe it was mentioned, I assume this was intended to be the case in the film version as well, since it easily explains the raptor situation.

Now, on Grant and the kids' trek back to the Visitor's Center, they passed through this paddock and saw the baby raptors' tracks and egg clutch (probably one of many). If you check the map, the paddocks they pass through are in order as they travel west towards the VC, keeping this theory of continuity solid.

Long story short... In their old paddock, raptors bred and the offspring went unnoticed. The three known surviving raptors were moved. Fast forward a while, and the baby raptors are now sub-adults/adults loose and still breeding within the paddock, remaining unnoticed by staff. The night of the JP disaster, Nedry shuts of the power to the park fences (not the pen with the three raptors) and the unnoticed raptors from the paddock are loose during the night of Nedry's death. Hence, raptors being near his Jeep. The next day, the three older raptors escape and are dealt with accordingly.

Anything not lining up?

You know, all of you are just trying to pull things out of your rear for the sake of argument.

1) Trying to say "Read the book" doesn't apply here. This game is following the MOVIE, NOT the book. That being the case, book doesn't apply here. Null and void in argument.

2) There were only 3 raptors in the movie until they broke out, made a make-shift nest, and laid eggs.

3) Regarding the picture above: That's not the "old raptor paddock." No where in the film does it say they were moved from one enclosure to another. That's a speculation unfounded in any fact.

Frankly the only thing that we can do at this point is shut up and wait for Telltale to explain how these other raptors are here.
  • edited October 2011
    You know, all of you are just trying to pull things out of your rear for the sake of argument.

1) Trying to say "Read the book" doesn't apply here. This game is following the MOVIE, NOT the book. That being the case, book doesn't apply here. Null and void in argument.

2) There were only 3 raptors in the movie until they broke out, made a make-shift nest, and laid eggs.

3) Regarding the picture above: That's not the "old raptor paddock." No where in the film does it say they were moved from one enclosure to another. That's a speculation unfounded in any fact.

Frankly the only thing that we can do at this point is shut up and wait for Telltale to explain how these other raptors are here.

About 1: As the book is the source material for the movie, if the movie is the highest level of canon in its fictional universe most people who have read the book (myself included) assume that anything not directly contradicted by the film canon is ok to also consider canon. I think of it like: movie>books>games> comics. But that's a generalization, if the content in question (JPtG) is really good, it can take precedence over novel content if it makes more sense than the book when you see how it ties in with the movie. I digress, really, it's all opinion. You can think of this content any way you want.
    About 2: If you're right, that means 3 raptors were released when Mr. Arnold shuts down the system and somehow had a nest that hatched then was abandoned by them in like 3 hours? I don't buy it. I'm going with the books explanation for now.
    About 3: I actually agree with you on this one. That picture looks like it is showing a group of fences on the east side of the island. I'm pretty sure the park takes up the entire island, in which case that's just like a sub-group of fences in that area. As for how the raptors got out, (this is novel canon) they probably escaped from a nest inside their old paddock before InGen realized how dangerous Velociraptors are and built the enclosure seen in the film.
  • edited October 2011
    There's 3 other Velociraptor pens around the island. On by the visitors center, one on the car tour, and one by the dilophosaurus pen since there was a picture of them by the vehicle.
  • edited October 2011

As has been explained ad nauseum...the raptor eggs that Grant found could NOT have been laid by the raptors in the pen! That nest was far from the raptor pen, and by the time Grant found it, the raptors were still safely locked away in their pen.
  • edited October 2011
    There's 3 other Velociraptor pens around the island. On by the visitors center, one on the car tour, and one by the dilophosaurus pen since there was a picture of them by the vehicle.

The bloody pens dont matter, it's about the amount of raptors that were cloned!

In the film, we have seen 4. One would be the baby, second is the mother in the cage who broke out. 3 and 4 are the other raptors. You can scratch out 2 for now since I dont know if the raptor broke out and went to the diner area or not.
  • edited October 2011
    there are different types of species of raptor on the island i think
  • edited October 2011
    kasaki89 wrote: »
    there are different types of species of raptor on the island i think

So the 3 Raptors, the one locked in the Freezer, and the 2 that were killed by the T-Rex were Velociraptor "antirrhopus" from the film, and the ones in the Game are Velociraptor mongoliensis (X Deinonychus) from the novel?
    Because if you look closely you'll see stripes on the game's Velociraptor like the Novel's Raptor.
  • edited October 2011
    The Velociraptors from the films have stripes too. They are just hard to see.
  • edited October 2011
    A little off-topic:
    Did anyone else notice in the film,before the sick triceratops scene,that Alan sees something in the distance running away from the jeep? (when he looks out the window,just before jumping out of the moving car).
    I think it was one of the raptors outside the pen.
    Watch closely at 1:10 (not that clear on youtube,but if you have the movie at home you can see it better):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-mpifTiPV4&feature=relmfu
  • edited October 2011
    JPTGfan wrote: »
    So the 3 Raptors, the one locked in the Freezer, and the 2 that were killed by the T-Rex were Velociraptor "antirrhopus" from the film, and the ones in the Game are Velociraptor mongoliensis (X Deinonychus) from the novel?
    Because if you look closely you'll see stripes on the game's Velociraptor like the Novel's Raptor.

they are both velociraptor antrihoppus its a synonym for deinonychus. so both are deinonychus. Velociraptor mongoliensis was discovered in 1925 by roy chapman andrews it was roughly the size of a turkey...this is not the case in jurassic park's raptors. (Fun fact: a new raptor species was discovered this year called talos sampsoni)
  • edited October 2011
    SWGNATE wrote: »
    they are both velociraptor antrihoppus its a synonym for deinonychus. so both are deinonychus. Velociraptor mongoliensis was discovered in 1925 by roy chapman andrews it was roughly the size of a turkey...this is not the case in jurassic park's raptors. (Fun fact: a new raptor species was discovered this year called talos sampsoni)
    The raptors in the movies most likely are Deinonychus, but since the Raptors in the novels are the mongoliensis species then they are true velociraptors. They're just not represented correctly by modern descriptions. The novels never mentioned anything about Deinonychus being involved with their D.N.A. so there is no relation at all.
  • edited October 2011
    TorQue wrote: »
    A little off-topic:
    Did anyone else notice in the film,before the sick triceratops scene,that Alan sees something in the distance running away from the jeep? (when he looks out the window,just before jumping out of the moving car).
    Watch closely at 1:10 (not that clear on youtube,but if you have the movie at home you can see it better):

Sorry pal, I don't see it.
  • edited October 2011
    A little off-topic:

Nah no raptors here. Look real close and you can see the jeep in the middle of the field. I think that's what we were supposed to see. Grant notices Gerry's jeep and leaves the jeep to find the sick trike.
  • edited October 2011
    synJP wrote: »
    Nah no raptors here. Look real close and you can see the jeep in the middle of the field. I think that's what we were supposed to see. Grant notices Gerry's jeep and leaves the jeep to find the sick trike.
    I can guarantee that there is something running fast past the jeep because i saw it on my copy of the film ,but like i said on youtube it's very hard to spot because of the clarity,so if you guys have the movie check it out.
    I will try and make a screenshot or something....
  • edited October 2011
    I can guarantee that there is something running fast past the jeep because i saw it on my copy of the film ,but like i said on youtube it's very hard to spot because of the clarity,so if you guys have the movie check it out.

now that you mention something moving behind the jeep i can see something, but no telling what it is.
  • edited October 2011
    Alan sees the sick Triceratops
  • edited October 2011

Just wait on the bluray. You'll be able to see it clearly then.
  • edited October 2011

i appreciate your attention to logic but there is no reptile species that lays eggs and they hatch in the same 5 minutes lol. I doubt they layed them and hatched them in the same night.
  • edited October 2011
    Okay, interesting thing to note. In the most recent trailer about the Return to Isla Nublar, when they show big burly bearded guy surrounded by raptors, one of the raptors has a scar over its left eye. Since none of the raptors in the movies had a scar and I doubt TellTale would expect us to retcon the movie like that, I think that's evidence of at least one other raptor pack on the island.
  • edited October 2011
    Okay, interesting thing to note. In the most recent trailer about the Return to Isla Nublar, when they show big burly bearded guy surrounded by raptors, one of the raptors has a scar over its left eye. Since none of the raptors in the movies had a scar and I doubt TellTale would expect us to retcon the movie like that, I think that's evidence of at least one other raptor pack on the island.

Correct. Even without the scarred raptor though. We would have to assume this was so because at this point in the game of the 3 raptors in the movie 2 raptors are dead and one locked in a freezer.
  • edited November 2011
    mannyguy1 wrote: »
    Correct. Even without the scarred raptor though. We would have to assume this was so because at this point in the game of the 3 raptors in the movie 2 raptors are dead and one locked in a freezer.

are you forgetting the hatchling the young raptor that was born during the film there is nothing said as to what happened to it? it would have grown if it survived and could have bred with the one in the freezer remember power was off so the freezer wouldnt work!
  • edited November 2011
    spikesboy wrote: »
    are you forgetting the hatchling the young raptor that was born during the film there is nothing said as to what happened to it? it would have grown if it survived and could have bred with the one in the freezer remember power was off so the freezer wouldnt work!

You do know that this game ties directly after the first movie right?... as in pretty much the same day that Dr. Grant gets off the island... soooo that hatchling couldn't have grown up, made another baby all in one day etc.
  • edited November 2011
    very true, i didnt realise it was based on the next day so it remains a mystey as to where the extra raptors come from even, but if your going by the book the raptors have already bred and have a small breeding ground in an underground passge near the docks, so this might explain the extra raptors
  • edited November 2011
    very true, i didnt realise it was based on the next day so it remains a mystey as to where the extra raptors come from even, but if your going by the book the raptors have already bred and have a small breeding ground in an underground passge near the docks, so this might explain the extra raptors
    I highly doubt it. The games are not going to go along with the novel's storyline, that would just be a little bit too.... hackish? Which telltale is not.
  • edited November 2011
    but then why use the name of the resturant from the book?
  • edited November 2011
    but then why use the name of the resturant from the book?
    To "reference" key word REFERENCE the books. Just because they are giving easter eggs for fans of the series does not mean they will completely copy the books storyline. As much as I love the novels I would be very disappointed if telltale did this. Why? Because they're a good enough company to come up with an awesome story of their own.
  • edited November 2011
    i totally agree I have been a fan of telltale games for quite a while and they never stop amazing me with thier products, i personally feel that they are using both the book and film for a background so this might explain some of the more arguable points in the game
  • edited November 2011

There was power later, but the door to the freezer was latched.
  • edited November 2011
    From my understanding the Raptors were one of the first species bred for the park, so they have a pretty big time frame that they could have escaped/bred in. roughly 5-6 years before the movie seeing how they are all fully grown.

Honestly I think the plot of the dinosaurs breeding was just poorly handled in the movie, with no real detail aside from Grant and the kids finding raptor eggs, and grant smelling them (lol), seeing as how we never see the wild raptors in the movie, we have no idea how old they are/ how many generations there were, or when the particular eggs seen were laid

In the Novel the wild raptors had already began to reproduce, so Grant finding freshly hatched eggs like he did in the film would have been easily acceptable.

sadly the whole "Breeding" plot was basically neutered for the movie, leaving very little for us to work with.
  • edited November 2011
    The Raptors are sort of special.. from a story telling stand point to keep them that way you wouldn't want to expose them TOO much... you would want an introduction in act one.. and then a climax with them towards the end..

If you notice that is pretty much what they do with them in ALL of the movies its not like they have one the entire time chasing the characters around it would get boring for the viewer and seeing them too much would take away some of the fear.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.