[WD] Changed choices.

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Can you guys give me a rundown on exactly how you're starting Episode 2, please? Are you seeing your save games after you first click Play on the main menu? If you select your save and then scroll to Episode 2, is it asking if you want to generate random story decisions, or is it going right into the episode?
  • edited June 2012
    Nuvas wrote: »
    1) Admin account, yes

2) Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

3) Game has remained untouched since original installation

Same here! (But my problem is with the bitten/not bitten discussion.)

To start the new episode, I select my save, went to Episode 2 and it started the episode right away. TellTale's client PC version.
  • edited June 2012
    Just started playing episode two and I'm already disappointed.

At the end of the first episode you have a choice of keeping Carley or Doug alive. I picked Carley, the stats say I picked Carley, and yet when I load my save and begin episode two I'm shown a "previously on" montage that shows her being killed rather than Doug. Now I begin the game and Doug is happily alive rather than being zombie food.

For a game where your choices are supposed to have major implications across all five episodes, it's pretty damning that only the second episode has altered one of the biggest choices from episode one. How do I know some of my other choices haven't been changed as well? The only thing I could do now is start over episode one from the start and hope it doesn't happen again. But I don't have the motivation to do that nor do I have a desire to play episode two because of this gaffe. Severely frustrating.

Anyone else had this issue? I'm playing on the PC as well.
  • edited June 2012
    I have had no issues over here, even the minor choices that I made showed up fine.

Did you replay the game and save Doug?
  • edited June 2012
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    I have had no issues over here, even the minor choices that I made showed up fine.

Did you replay the game and save Doug?

I started a brand new save but never even reached that part.

I loaded my original save and the stats clearly displayed each choice I made along with the percentage of other players who did the same. It said I saved Carley and yet episode two alters this.

Mike wrote: »
    Can you guys give me a rundown on exactly how you're starting Episode 2, please? Are you seeing your save games after you first click Play on the main menu? If you select your save and then scroll to Episode 2, is it asking if you want to generate random story decisions, or is it going right into the episode?

I clicked play and it came up with my save games, I chose my save, looked at my stats on episode one to see my choices then when I clicked play on episode two it started the game straight away.
  • edited June 2012
    1) Admin
    2) Windows 7 64
    3) No

From "Play," I see my saved games, but when I select and scroll to Episode 2, it goes right into the episode without asking about story decisions.

I've replayed the last two chapters of Episode 1 three times, each time saving Carley, but when I start up Episode 2, it's Doug who's lived.
  • edited June 2012

1. Click Play
    2. Select Save Game (I have all three with the same choices)
    3. Press RB to go to Episode 2
    4. Press A to play. That's the only option there besides quit. It doesn't ask to transfer story decisions over, not sure if it's supposed to do that or something. Just WAM episode 2, doug eating pie blahblah.

I'm running the executable with admin privilege checked. Win 7 64-bit.

When I return to main menu, all the game settings revert, and my saves magically disappear, until I quit the game and reboot it.
  • edited June 2012
    Used the rewind feature and saved Carley again and Doug still appears in episode two.

j7cmzl.jpg

Should be like this!
  • edited June 2012

I've done a few ways, all with the same result.

[Start Game]
    [Choose Game]
    [Load Game - Ep. 1]
    Scenario: Cuts to last scene Ep. 1 -- At the Motel.
    Talk with everybody, end scene, roll credits.
    [Back to Main]

This, I admit was foolish. But I thought that for some reason if I loaded from the last auto-save that I'd refresh myself on the gameplay before starting the next episode. However, the episodes were not linked at all and had to choose the second episode from the load screen, using my original saved game.

[Start Game]
    [Choose Game]
    [Load Game - Ep. 2]
    Scenario: Starts off with the cut-scene. During the previews, it shows alternate choice of Carley being alive instead of my man Doug. Said "wtf?" and ended up leaving game.
    [Back to Main]

[Delete Save File]
    [Start New Game]
    [Play Ep. 1, make same decisions -- Choose Doug over Carley]
    [Choose Ep. 2]
    Scneario: Same as #2, only this time I replayed all of the Episode 1 without any other save files available. Carley was STILL in the previews for the Ep. 2.
    [ragequit]
    [join forums]
    [complain]

Edit: At no time did my game need to auto-create choices for me. I saw that option to start Ep. 2 without any of my previous saves. So I can authoritatively say that I did not personally allow the game to choose anything for me.
  • edited June 2012
    did exactly the same as brawl.kc

right now after countless tries it even "erased" my savegames! (so it seemed) all my 3 saves were gone and instead there was an "episode 2" save in the middle, which "obviously" had the wrong ep1 decisions in it... (save files returned after restarting the game, ep2 save was gone)

i know you are working hard on fixing this, but after weeks of waiting to continue "my tailored story" i'm a bit butthurt and nerdragy atm...
  • edited June 2012
    PC Version (Steam)

It seems to be a bug if you completed or started EP 1 before EP 2 was released. No matter how i start EP 2 it shows the opposite of some chooises i made in EP 1.

Anyone know what i mean?
    Does anyone have the same problem whit faulty chooises.
    Dont seem to transfer between EPs. Is there a fix?
    Only fix i know is to replay EP 1...
  • edited June 2012
    Same problem on the PC with reversing my choices. Also I do see something wacky happening with the saves that I think someone mentioned above. I used the copy button and made a copy of my end of Episode 1 save into the second slot. I started episode 2, except choices reversed. When I went back to the main menu, my copied save was not listed anymore in the second slot and only my 'current' Episode 2 game was listed. Then I rewound my Episode 2 back to Episode 1, went back to the main menu, and the game I had copied earlier had shown up again in the second slot.
  • edited June 2012
    my save didnt even show up and the download keep on stopping for eps 2. i'm on pc.
  • edited June 2012
    Yobo1987 wrote: »
    PC Version (Steam)

It seems to be a bug if you completed or started EP 1 before EP 2 was released. No matter how i start EP 2 it shows the opposite of some chooises i made in EP 1.

Anyone know what i mean?
    Does anyone have the same problem whit faulty chooises.
    Dont seem to transfer between EPs. Is there a fix?
    Only fix i know is to replay EP 1...

I did that and it STILL gave me the incorrect choices.
  • edited June 2012
    Same issue here. Choices made in Ep 1 are not transferring to Ep 2. Doug is alive when Carley should be, etc.

Continued from Ep 1 saved game. PC version/Steam, Win7 32-bit, run as admin, etc.
  • edited June 2012
    The "downloadable content" button doesn't appear plus it keeps saying "Episode 2 coming soon"..I wanna play episode 2 badly :/
  • edited June 2012
    So, seeing as there is no update to this issue, is there anyone out there who is willing to share their save files with these stats?

309J9.jpg

No idea if this will work for me, but I'm willing to try.
  • edited June 2012
    All my saves were deleted between playing through episodes 1 and 2.
  • edited June 2012
    What type of user accounts are you using? Are they admin accounts?
    Admin Account

What OS are you using?
    Windows 7 Pro

Have you uninstalled the game previously, or have you reinstalled the game recently?
    I have recently uninstalled the game after troubleshooting this issue last night. Before the uninstall I attempted to run steam and the application in admin mode which did not resolve the issue.
  • edited June 2012
    Yes.

What OS are you using?
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32bits.

Have you uninstalled the game previously, or have you reinstalled the game recently?
    I reinstalled the game, when it gave a error message. "WalkingDead101.exe is not working".
  • edited June 2012

I could see my save game, I selected it, went to play, scrolled accross to episode 2 and pressed play. It started playing with a montage of the previous episode, with wrong clips as to what happened (ie. I chose carley, but it showed her getting killed). I then only played upto where the bloke i was walking with told me he heard doug talking the previous night about pies. I tried replaying from the doug and carley decision all the way through to the end credits finished and same thing happened again.

It only asks me if I want to generate random stories if I dont choose the save file.
  • edited June 2012
    I'd like to be added to the growing list of people suffering from this issue.

Playing on: PC/Steam
    Profile: Admin

I killed Doug, but he seemed to survive into Episode 2. Patch this @#$% quick son!
  • edited June 2012
    Getting the same thing as well.

PC/Steam Version
    Win7 Home Premium x64 on Admin account

Completed the game all the way though to the stats window, and let the credits roll.
    When Ep2 came out, I Clicked 'Play > Ep1 Save Game > Play > Right Arrow to Ep2 > Play' and it shows the wrong choices every time. I checked the stats on Ep1 before clicking play in ep 2 as well, and they showed all correct.

Tried multiple times without any success.
  • edited June 2012
    Hi

Anyone have the game working as usual but with the game/steam installed on a different drive than the OS?

Something tells me this problem has to do with where the game is installed.
  • edited June 2012
    I am in the same boat as everyone else. Chose Carley, get Doug in Episode 2 no matter what I do. I have opened as Admin, reinstalled, even played through a new save with no luck.

Steam version
    Windows 7 Home 64

Really hope a fix comes quick, I really enjoy the game otherwise.
  • edited June 2012
    Sigh. Same problem. I'm running an Admin account, Windows 7 64 bit, Steam version. Saved Doug in Ep 1, Carley's alive and well in Ep 2.

My stats appear correctly on the Ep 1 screen, and on the Ep 2 screen there's just an option to "Play". Don't know if that's right or not but it's how I've been accessing Ep 2. Also: on the Ep 1 screen, I still have the option to "Continue", which takes me to the end motel scene if I click it. Should that even be there if I've finished the episode?

Minor other things: the first two times I tried, I still got the "Previously On" (though with the wrong choices). I don't even get that anymore: it just keeps launching straight into the game. Also, subtitles are turned off in Ep 2, even though I have them on in Ep 1.

Clearly the game isn't registering the save as having completed Ep 1 yet, and no settings are being transferred.

I've tried everything. Copied it into a different slot, run as administrator, used compatibility mode, and rewound to the Doug/Carley choice and played through to the end again. Nothing works.
  • edited June 2012
    Sigh. Same problem. I'm running an Admin account, Windows 7 64 bit, Steam version. Saved Doug in Ep 1, Carley's alive and well in Ep 2.

My stats appear correctly on the Ep 1 screen, and on the Ep 2 screen there's just an option to "Play". Don't know if that's right or not but it's how I've been accessing Ep 2. Also: on the Ep 1 screen, I still have the option to "Continue", which takes me to the end motel scene if I click it. Should that even be there if I've finished the episode?

Minor other things: the first two times I tried, I still got the "Previously On" (though with the wrong choices). I don't even get that anymore: it just keeps launching straight into the game. Also, subtitles are turned off in Ep 2, even though I have them on in Ep 1.

Clearly the game isn't registering the save as having completed Ep 1 yet, and no settings are being transferred.

I've tried everything. Copied it into a different slot, run as administrator, used compatibility mode, and rewound to the Doug/Carley choice and played through to the end again. Nothing works.

Mine is exactly the same.

Hopefully it can be fixed soon. After being excited to play it after the two month wait it's extremely disappointing that a bug is causing us to wait even longer.
  • edited June 2012
    /signed

The save does not get taken over correctly to ep2. Tried two replays of episode one, copied saves, replaced them.. all without luck. And to top it off.. ep2 does not save either. There is some dang bad issue going here TTG.

EDIT:

And as another user said: "This is why you don't release games on a friday" and i'd like to add "and go on a weekend". We're stuck on our weekend with a broken game.

EDIT 2:
    Admin user on Win7 Ultimate 64bit

But that is'nt the issue here. The save system and carry over of stats is. It's bogged down. Just tried it again and it's no dice.

Wether Dough or Carley are saved nor any choices made in ep1 it won't carry over. But any new save won't get saved see the other thread of bogged saves during a pause moment for example.

EDIT 3:

When you patch this TTG. please put a bottle of bourbon next to the tea set for Lee if we need to replay EP1 again for the ...nth time. Thanks
  • edited June 2012
    Same issue here, I saved Doug and Carly is alive. I tried replaying the end of episode 1 but episode 2 still loads from it's own auto-save, it doesn't restart.

I'm using the admin account.

What OS are you using?
    Vista Home 64bit

The game hasn't been reinstalled or modified at all since I finished episode 1. However my girlfriend and I played episode 1 on different saves.
  • edited June 2012
    Same Problem, I saved Carley, and at the beginning of Episode 2 Doug is alive.

Yes, and UAC is disabled.

What OS are you using?
    Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit

Donloaded over Steam. Played game through before Update for Episode 2. Played it again after Update to Episode 2 in second save slot, but with exactly the same choices.

Starting Episode 2 from both savegames yields Doug alive when I saved Carley in both. Also, when I go back to the main menu, only one savegame is visible anymore, saying "Episode 2". Quitting and restarting the game shows me the two savegames in "Episode 1" state.

EDIT: This post from the Steam Forums seems to contain a workaround. It looks like Epiode 2 selects the wrong savefile somehow.
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31423648&postcount=15
  • edited June 2012
    Lafazar wrote: »
    Same Problem, I saved Carley, and at the beginning of Episode 2 Doug is alive.

Yes, and UAC is disabled.

What OS are you using?
    Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit

Donloaded over Steam. Played game through before Update for Episode 2. Played it again after Update to Episode 2 in second save slot, but with exactly the same choices.

Starting Episode 2 from both savegames yields Doug alive when I saved Carley in both. Also, when I go back to the main menu, only one savegame is visible anymore, saying "Episode 2". Quitting and restarting the game shows me the two savegames in "Episode 1" state.

EDIT: This post from the Steam Forums seems to contain a workaround. It looks like Epiode 2 selects the wrong savefile somehow.
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31423648&postcount=15

Since I used the rewind feature to try and fix it that way, that workaround doesn't work for me.

I did, however, load a save from half way through episode one - the save I used for my second playthrough. It just took me about an hour to finish it, so I started episode two with that save and I didn't even get the previously on stuff, and the first scene in the forest is missing... and Doug is alive instead of Carley again. It's fucked.
  • edited June 2012
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Steam

I was experiencing the same wrong choices issue.

I took a look in the save game folder and notice the most recent save was only 10KB, the second most recent save was 108KB. So I renamed the the larger file to replace the smaller file (i.e. save_9.save to save_12.save). I ended up back at the Carly or Doug decision which was fine as there's only 5 to 10 mins left in the episode. Once I finished the episode the save game file was up to 117KB. I thought I was in the clear....

Fired up Episode 2 based on the save and....black screen, arrow cursor and an axe in the inventory. Not a good experience so far for my first foray into a Telltale game.
  • edited June 2012
    Hey guys!
    I know many of you have tried to start a new game, play Ep1 and it still didn't work out, right? Well, I have done that too and it didn't work. But then I messed around with my save files and tried different things to get it done... It didn't work the way I wanted it to, but I got it right now! My decisions have been taken over into Ep2 now.

Here's what I did, though I guess you won't like it...
    I noticed that there is a "prefs.prop" file in the save directory (documents\telltale games\ the walking dead) which seems to contain your decisions. But since it's not readable for humans (jibberish in it) I tried to delete it, play Ep1 ending and see if it works... well I got a black screen out of that. Seems like the save files only work together with the prefs.prop (and the other way around, tried both ways)
    Now here's the thing... even if you start another game in another save file... the prefs.prop doesn't seem to change at all. Starting a new game and trying to play Ep2 afterwards doesn't work because of that...

BUT

If you delete everything except the SyncFs folder (good bye precious savegames...) and start a new game, it's like you never ran it before. Playing through Ep1 and then starting Ep2 immediately afterwards worked fine then. I can now play Ep2 with all my choices from the first.

Well.. there's still a bug to be fixed... but for all those (like me) who don't want to wait any longer and don't mind playing Ep1 again... it seems to work just fine like this.

I hope this helped anyone :)
  • edited June 2012
    While being a zombie myself by now due to the time and effort i've put into this problem there are still no ties on how to solve this ourselves. Saves don't get.. well.. saved and choices made do not carry over and when pausing the game it reverts back to ep1 and so forth and so on.

I went on doing a little investigation of the directory structure (the TTG store version mind you) and there's a thing that boggles my mind a bit:

- Installed it to my game drive wich is D:\Games\The Walking Dead
    - upon starting it creates a folder or adds to the folder (i've got more games of TTG) on the C:\ drive in your documents folder called \Telltale Games\The Walking Dead (or any other TTG game of late)

BUT...

Both the documents folder as well as the game folder on the D:\ drive contain a prefs.prop file of wich the one on the install drive gets updated last. When i chose to "GET" episode 2 from within the launcher it downloads them to the C:\ documents folder and keeps em there.. (Ehrm.. i did tell the game to install on D: not keep a gigabyte of data on my C:\ )

Lastly.. I had 12 savegames in the documents folder upon ending EP1 succesfully earlier. Still EP2 does not carry any choices correctly and when pausing or exiting no save is done. Also i noticed a save_9.save being lonely in the install dir on D:\ at one time..

So.

Why does EP2 remain on the documents dir wich is just plain stupid and why do you use 2 (two) prefs.prop files in different locations? I think this is where it may go wrong TTG. And in conclusion: Your website and forums are more offline then on of late and downloading that EP2 through the ingame screen takes forever.. So quick troubleshooting is no further option as well....
  • edited June 2012
    I've been doing some more gravedigging around again and tried the following so far wich needs testing:

I kept ONE save from episode one that finished past the credits and backed it up.
    Fresh install with EP2 downloaded before playing so no previous saves.
    Placed the backuped save. Not showing. hmmm. So the save is not that important. (read on)
    Started a new EP1 game and alt-tabbed in and out during the freeway scene till a autosave was made.
    I checked the timestamp on prefs.prop both in the install dir and the \Documents dir. The install dir one changed along with the first save.
    Exited the game and deleted the save. Placed my backuped save in and renamed to the one just deleted (ie. save_2.save deleted and renamed save_12.save to save_2)
    Booted game and clicked play. Rewind shows just the freeway scene wich would be correct as props.pref has'nt changed yet.
    Clicked continue and bam i am at the motel doing the final conversations. Let the credits roll and back at the main menu i exited.

Heres the funny thing. The game made a new save called save_1.save with exact same size as the backuped one with a timestamp of when i LOADED the game. Now prefs.prop was saved 12 minutes later meaning this is where the final choices and stats are located.

Here's what i think goes wrong but i need to test further. Prefs.prop that came with EP2 in the \Documents dir remained unchanged since it was placed there during download. Now i have a feeling the prefs.prop that keeps getting updated up till the end of EP1 does NOT get taken into the new prefs.prop. and the last save does not do much either.

Going to replace the EP1 prefs.prop now with the EP2 one to see if it will move forward.

toughts?
  • edited June 2012
    I tried what IMBAsuna did (three posts before this), that finally worked for me. Thanks for that. All choices from Ep1 are now in Ep2.
    I made it through Ep1 three times the last 24 hours to try everything I read in this forum. Hope TTG fix it real soon...
  • edited July 2012
    Cruisix wrote: »
    I've been doing some more gravedigging around again and tried the following so far wich needs testing:

I kept ONE save from episode one that finished past the credits and backed it up.
    Fresh install with EP2 downloaded before playing so no previous saves.
    Placed the backuped save. Not showing. hmmm. So the save is not that important. (read on)
    Started a new EP1 game and alt-tabbed in and out during the freeway scene till a autosave was made.
    I checked the timestamp on prefs.prop both in the install dir and the \Documents dir. The install dir one changed along with the first save.
    Exited the game and deleted the save. Placed my backuped save in and renamed to the one just deleted (ie. save_2.save deleted and renamed save_12.save to save_2)
    Booted game and clicked play. Rewind shows just the freeway scene wich would be correct as props.pref has'nt changed yet.
    Clicked continue and bam i am at the motel doing the final conversations. Let the credits roll and back at the main menu i exited.

Heres the funny thing. The game made a new save called save_1.save with exact same size as the backuped one with a timestamp of when i LOADED the game. Now prefs.prop was saved 12 minutes later meaning this is where the final choices and stats are located.

Here's what i think goes wrong but i need to test further. Prefs.prop that came with EP2 in the \Documents dir remained unchanged since it was placed there during download. Now i have a feeling the prefs.prop that keeps getting updated up till the end of EP1 does NOT get taken into the new prefs.prop. and the last save does not do much either.

Going to replace the EP1 prefs.prop now with the EP2 one to see if it will move forward.

toughts?

I tried this and got Episode 2 to say continue instead of play, but my choices were still not correct.
  • edited July 2012
    IMBAsuna wrote: »
    Hey guys!
    I know many of you have tried to start a new game, play Ep1 and it still didn't work out, right? Well, I have done that too and it didn't work. But then I messed around with my save files and tried different things to get it done... It didn't work the way I wanted it to, but I got it right now! My decisions have been taken over into Ep2 now.

Here's what I did, though I guess you won't like it...
    I noticed that there is a "prefs.prop" file in the save directory (documents\telltale games\ the walking dead) which seems to contain your decisions. But since it's not readable for humans (jibberish in it) I tried to delete it, play Ep1 ending and see if it works... well I got a black screen out of that. Seems like the save files only work together with the prefs.prop (and the other way around, tried both ways)
    Now here's the thing... even if you start another game in another save file... the prefs.prop doesn't seem to change at all. Starting a new game and trying to play Ep2 afterwards doesn't work because of that...

BUT

If you delete everything except the SyncFs folder (good bye precious savegames...) and start a new game, it's like you never ran it before. Playing through Ep1 and then starting Ep2 immediately afterwards worked fine then. I can now play Ep2 with all my choices from the first.

Well.. there's still a bug to be fixed... but for all those (like me) who don't want to wait any longer and don't mind playing Ep1 again... it seems to work just fine like this.

Will try this when I have a little more time.
  • edited July 2012
    IMBAsuna wrote: »
    BUT

At first glance this fixed it, but it turned out to only be the Carly choice. The little choices like whether I told Clementine if her family would find us, was still different. Completely ruins it for me. I need every choice to carry over, otherwise it makes all the choices I made pointless. I don't know how they're going to affect the story later. UGH. I refuse to play through Episode 1 again. Been 5 times now, I'm becoming sick of this game.
  • edited July 2012
    -Possible Fix-

The game stores a "prefs.prop" in two places. One in:

C:\Users\___\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

And the other in:

D:\STEAM\steamapps\common\the walking dead\Pack\default

Or if you don't have the Steam version, its somewhere in your game DIR.
    Do backups before overwriting anything.

Copy the prefs.prop file from your game's DIR folders, and overwrite it in your Documents\TTG\TWD folder

Go in game and load the save game with your finished EP1. Switch to EP2 in the chapter select and run it.

This worked for me when any other solution did not. My decisions carried over.
This discussion has been closed.