[WD] Changed choices.

Comments

• edited July 2012
    warxsnake wrote: »
    This worked for me when any other solution did not. My decisions carried over.

You are a goddamn hero. Worked for me.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2012
    And the other in:
    D:\STEAM\steamapps\common\the walking dead\Pack\default

Or if you don't have the Steam version, its somewhere in your game DIR.
    Do backups before overwriting anything.

That's interesting. I don't have the issue, and i also don't have prefs.props in the game directories at all. I wonder how they got there in your case.

My only TWD prefs.prop is in
    %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
    where i would expect it to be, based on previous TTG games.

If you run the game in compatibility mode for win95 or win98/me it saves to
    %PUBLIC%\Documents\Telltale Games\GameData
    instead.
  • edited July 2012
    -Possible Fix-

The game stores a "prefs.prop" in two places. One in:

C:\Users\___\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

And the other in:

Copy the prefs.prop file from your game's DIR folders, and overwrite it in your Documents\TTG\TWD folder

Go in game and load the save game with your finished EP1. Switch to EP2 in the chapter select and run it.

This worked for me. You just saved my weekend.
  • edited July 2012
    What Cruisix and Warxsnake suggested seems to have worked for me; moving the prefs.prop file into the Documents folder: A) brought back the "Previously on the Walking Dead" intro, which had only played the very first time I'd started the game and not on subsequent start-ups; B) preserved my Episode 1 choices (two of them, at least - Carley is alive now, and the "Previously on" intro reflects a different interaction with Kenny in ep1 than it initially did, though I haven't played further than the opening minute to verify if ep2 honors all ep1 decisions).

If it matters, my game is installed to a different drive (E) than is my OS (C), though I'm not using Steam.
  • edited July 2012
    Yes Warxsnake! You saved Carley! Thanks man, god knows what I've screwed up if/when the patch comes out by doing this, but at least I can continue now. Pretty key to the entire game that your choices carry over...
  • edited July 2012
    Yes Warxsnake! You saved Carley! Thanks man, god knows what I've screwed up if/when the patch comes out by doing this, but at least I can continue now. Pretty key to the entire game that your choices carry over...

I'm pretty sure it'll be fine, the file you copied is supposed to be there anyway.
    If there is an issue after patch, just recopy your backup.
  • edited July 2012
    wtf !!!!

Same problem for me...

I saved the girl, and I can't stop to hear about the doug pie...

I restarted already, redo the last chapter from episode one...
    It's just boring...

Is it a real tell games or what ?

SHIT.

Somebody can fix this bug ?

It's not working because I am on a mac...

I play on mac, and play with steam.

Did someone from telltalegames can help the mac users ?

thank you....
  • edited July 2012
    -Possible Fix-

And the other in:

Copy the prefs.prop file from your game's DIR folders, and overwrite it in your Documents\TTG\TWD folder

Go in game and load the save game with your finished EP1. Switch to EP2 in the chapter select and run it.

This worked. You are a saviour!
  • edited July 2012
    Thank you ElectricBoogaloo

but this is working for pc.
    not for mac...

Os architecture on mac is not the same as pc.
  • edited July 2012
    But no one from the programer team have any solution ?
    Is that to the users to correct the failure ?
  • edited July 2012
    Sigh.

Re-installed game. Deleted Save files. Played all the freaking way through again, made same choices. Still, Carley instead of Doug.

I give up. I even randomized choices in a FOURTH unreleated game. Still, Carley. You win Telltale, you win.
  • edited July 2012
    -Possible Fix-

And the other in:

This man is a genius!
  • edited July 2012
    -Possible Fix-

And the other in:

So you copied the prefs.prop from your game DIR to the documents DIR, right?

Didn't work for me. And I just realized my larry/kenny decision is somehow messed up, too. I sided with Kenny, they even say so in the preview for episode 2, yet it says I sided with Larry in the stats.
  • edited July 2012
    like some pointed out (and i had to realize) my "workaround" seems to be none ^^

the way i did it just created me new random decisions for Ep2 which luckily represented my actual choices made in Ep1

warxsnake "fix" seems to work pretty fine, though! some of my friends (and ppl in this thread here obviously) said that it actually worked! so thank you, good sir :)
  • edited July 2012
    -Possible Fix-

And the other in:

Champion!, worked for me. Thanks mate.
  • edited July 2012
    -Possible Fix-

And the other in:

Thank you! Seems to be working. :D
  • edited July 2012
    Worked for me too

Just another question (I'm new to this forum):
    Is there any chance a Dev or CM will post here?

I mean, this is a little(?) bug that almost destroyed the game for a lot of people, but there's no official help or even response.

I have to say, I'm pretty pissed of by TellTale
  • edited July 2012
    Fenchurch wrote: »
    Worked for me too

Just another question (I'm new to this forum):
    Is there any chance a Dev or CM will post here?

I mean, this is a little(?) bug that almost destroyed the game for a lot of people, but there's no official help or even response.

I have to say, I'm pretty pissed of by TellTale

Mike has been posting in this thread trying to get info/help. Not sure what he does, but is on the Telltale team. So I'm sure they're aware of it, and working on it.
  • edited July 2012
    After updating the props file I was able to start episode 2. But when I tried to resume my progress, all the saves were for episode 1.

Going to do a reinstall and start from scratch to see if that helps at all....
  • edited July 2012
    -Possible Fix-

And the other in:

I- I love you. :)
  • edited July 2012
    Sucrizzle wrote: »
    After updating the props file I was able to start episode 2. But when I tried to resume my progress, all the saves were for episode 1.

Going to do a reinstall and start from scratch to see if that helps at all....

The game has issues updating the menus. Those saves were good, they just show up as EP1 but they would have worked if you loaded them. Had that problem too exiting the game and coming back in
  • edited July 2012
    The game has issues updating the menus. Those saves were good, they just show up as EP1 but they would have worked if you loaded them. Had that problem too exiting the game and coming back in

I think I had the same issue. After warxsnake saved Ep. 2's launch with his workaround this weekend, I played for a while and then quit, and then came to resume and was concerned that my main save game still said Episode 1; thought I had lost my Ep 2 progress. When I selected Episode 2 though it picked me up where I left off.
  • edited July 2012

When I had started episode 2 I used the first slot. When I went back and all the saves were labelled 'Episode 1' I thought it was a labelling issue so I used the first slot again and started episode 2. Once I started I was greeted with 'Last time on...'.

I still have the saves in a backup folder in case I can still salvage them, but I'm hoping a fresh start will fix things.
  • edited July 2012
    -Possible Fix-

And the other in:

I wish I'd read this before.. lol I just uninstalled and reinstalled.. deleted my previous saves. I just said f*ck it.. I'll start completely fresh. If I still have the problem, I'll definitely use this as a fix.
  • edited July 2012
    Worked you dah man.
  • edited July 2012
    If you want to play EP1 one again you need to move prefs.prop back to the install dir again. It's still messed up like i told in my large post earlier wich allready housed this solution but was probably TLDR for most.

so: EP1 uses prefs.prop from install dir. copy to documents for EP2 and back to install for EP1.

After each play of a EP (either one or two) i make sure the prefs.prop is the same on both dirs and so far this worked on 3 seperate playthroughs.
  • edited July 2012
    I don't have a "prefs.prop" on the install dir. However, I noticed that Kenny being angry with me is because of the "We reason with him" option on EP1, which I chose, but I also used the "NO! [Stop him]" after that, and this is not being carried over. He called me a good friend at the end of EP1, but he's angry with me at the beginning of EP2.
  • edited July 2012
    Not the most comp literate person around...but where exactly is the game directory pref.prop file? I ran into the same problem and I'd like to try and fix it.
  • edited July 2012
    i dont understand how to do any of this with my mac on steam??? and im not good with computers :(....steam episode 2 is just a black screen. help?
  • edited July 2012
    -Possible Fix-

And the other in:

Hi There,
    I recently did as suggested to copy the pref.props file to the game directory, or at least I think it was the right directory. EP2 is installed, but won't launch so I continued where EP1 left off. After the recap, the game loads and all I'm hearing is the audio, but still get no video. Am I doing something wrong? I rechecked the files and everything, restarted the game several times....any ideas or help please. I'd like to start the next episode.

Thanks.
  • eaueau
    edited July 2012
    i dont understand how to do any of this with my mac on steam??? and im not good with computers :(....steam episode 2 is just a black screen. help?

same problem for me : I'm playing with the steam version on mac, but can't do the prefs.prop trick because I don't know how to locate this file on mac (if it ever exists on the mac version!)
  • edited July 2012
    talon345 wrote: »
    Same issue for me,

I even attempted to replay the carly doug decision and other things having the same problem.

The continue option does not progress to the next episode just restarts the last section of the episode. If i attempt to start episode two no decisions transfer over.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit, have not uninstalled or reinstalled the game, on administrator. I chose Carley but the opening credits showed that I saved Doug. I tried clicking "Continue" from Episode 1 and replaying the last scene and I also tried clicking "Play" on Episode 2, getting the same results. I recently got the game from the Steam Summer Sale, after Episode 2 was released.

I start the game, click "Play" and select "Game 1" which is my only file. Although I completed Episode 1, it says Episode 1 from the menu. I click on Game 1 and then click Play, which takes me to the Episode 1 screen. I am able to view my stats which accurately reflect my choices from Episode 1. When I click "Continue" from this screen, it just replays the last scene from Episode 1 and brings me back to the main menu. When I click the arrow to go to Episode 2, I click "Play" and get the same results - the opening cutscene talks about Doug when I saved Carley. I have the Steam version and can't actually run the game as "Admin" from the Desktop icon but I tried running Steam as admin which didn't work.

I then saw warxsnake's post:
    warxsnake wrote:
    -Possible Fix-

And the other in:

This worked for me. Move prefs.prop from your directory (either in your install folder or your Steam/common folder) into the folder in your documents. A great big thanks to warxsnake!
  • edited July 2012
    Ok, so you still have to copy the pref files, regardless, because the episodes save them in different places... wow, smooth move Telltale! You couldn't release a hotfix for that, like right off the bat?

Anyways, here's my real question.

My wife just played through the game. She'll probably play Episode 2 sometime soon, but then there's a huge wait for Episode 3 at that point. I might want to play Episode 1 & 2. It sounds like there are multiple slots for saves? Is that true? I'm worried about overwriting my wife's decisions here. Advice?
  • eaueau
    edited July 2012
    For the mac users :
    Squozen wrote: »
    Okay, here are the exact steps. If they don't work for you, complain loudly to Telltale that I shouldn't be having to fix their game for them. :)

1. In the Finder, click the Go menu, choose Go to Folder...
    2. In the box that appears, type ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/the walking dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack
    3. You should now be in the correct folder! If it can't find that folder, again, complain to Telltale (unless you didn't buy the game on Steam or put your Steam folder somewhere weird).
    4. Copy (not move) the prefs.prop file from the 'default' folder to the 'WalkingDead102' folder.
    5. Start the game.

It worked for me !
  • edited October 2012
    Thanks for the fix! Here's where I found it on a Mac: Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/The Walking Dead. Delete the prefs.prop file and you're zombie hunting can continue. Still buggy while move from chapter to chapter, but better than a black screen and crickets. :D
  • edited October 2012
    eau wrote: »
    For the mac users :

It worked for me !

Tried it this way too, and got it working again.:D
  • edited January 2013
    I registered here on the forums just to reply here and say THIS WORKED! THANK YOU! Some of these companies needs to hire some of the gamers and pay them for their support to players. Dont sell a product if you cant back it up...
  • edited January 2013
    qreqorious wrote: »
    I registered here on the forums just to reply here and say THIS WORKED! THANK YOU! Some of these companies needs to hire some of the gamers and pay them for their support to players. Dont sell a product if you cant back it up...

^this

Thanks you saved my night!
  • edited June 2013
    eau wrote: »
    For the mac users :

It worked for me !

awesome! same here!!
    (still sad that it's almost half a year later and we're still having this problem...)
  • edited June 2013
    I finished episode 1 and tried to continue to episode 2, but it only gave a black screen and some background music. I don't use Steam, I have bought the PC/DVD. The solution with the prefs.prop doesn't work, because there is only 1 of such files, namely in "My Documents"-folder. Can someone help me please?
This discussion has been closed.