Updated cover for Surfin the Highway!

Comments

• edited September 2007
    The comics aren't a bonus. They're the first and finest Sam & Max material of all!
  • edited September 2007
    ..but for telltale they are. remember, the company is called telltale games.
    don't get me wrong, i want all the merchandise i can get, but if something is not possible then i can live with it...or at least have to try.
  • edited September 2007
    But Steve Purcell is putting the book out, not Telltale.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2007
    xChri5x wrote:
    afterlife

Ah right! The excellent one where Sam smothers Max with the pillow.
  • edited September 2007
    xChri5x wrote: »
    But Steve Purcell is putting the book out, not Telltale.

from what i read on the blog i got the impression that telltale is involved in the process as well.
    Sam & Max are turning 20 this year (I know, they don't look a day over 19...) and to celebrate, Steve Purcell and Telltale are bringing back the complete Sam & Max collection, Surfin' the Highway, for your extreme reading pleasure.

anyway, i'm pretty sure that, regardless who is working on it, the same sense for style and quality will be applied and will lead to a satifying result. i'm quite eager to read all the classic sam&max comics, but i can wait all the time that is needed.
  • edited September 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    Ah right! The excellent one where Sam smothers Max with the pillow.
    Hey, you're right, that one's NOT in the book! Well, dang. Now I want to get the new version even more.

When's the book coming out, huh? When? When is it? Don't you care about your fans? Tell me when! Hurry!
  • edited September 2007
    No one said that the 3 adventure comics would be in it did they.

I think Jake dodged by naming them instead of answering!
    edited September 2007
    No one denied anyting either! I simply dont know all that Steve is planning on including! When we have a final book out the door to printers, I'll look into pubishing a table of contents for you guys.
  • edited September 2007
    is that unfinished comic where max gets shot and is replaced by a monkey still left unfinished in steve's top desk drawer? :rolleyes:
    edited September 2007
    far as i know, yep
  • edited September 2007
    If only there were 2 Steve Purcell's.. 1 could work at Pixar, the other could finish Sam & Max comics :D
  • edited September 2007
    Yeah, but then that would confuse the wife and kids. Not to meantion that whole Space-Time Continum thing...
  • edited September 2007
    Multiplicity for the win!
  • edited September 2007
    Get to cloning now!
  • edited September 2007
    It wouldn't confusing because the other one will look like this.

purcellkw5.gif
  • MelMel
    edited September 2007
    Hero1 wrote: »
    Get to cloning now!

You just need a few skin cells you know. :p
    edited October 2007
    The pieces of the book are all finally 99.9% off to the printer, so they're starting to Frankenstein it together from Steve's old pieces of film, scans of paintings, and the new cover and miscellaneous pages we're adding in. Awesome! The book is still "coming soon," but we should have more info in the next few weeks.

For now, here's a shot of the updated cover that Steve and I have been working on...

surfin.jpg

Note that despite leathery appearances this book is paperback. :) That's just a picture of a classy old book that we slapped on there to try and class things up.

New to this version is the fact that both the front and back cover feature flaps like a hardcover dust jacket, so you can mark your page if you want (and because it just looks cooler with flaps). We used them to do an "about the author" blurb as well as a quick rundown of who Sam & Max are for people who don't know. It's definitely a change from the old book, but once you see all the little art and details Steve provided for the new cover treatment (especially the flaps, back of the book, and the inside of the cover), you'll be pretty into it.
  • edited October 2007
    It looks great!!! Where do I sign up to buy it??
    edited October 2007
    Here. We're not taking orders yet, though.
  • edited October 2007
    Well hurry up with the order-taking! Mach Schnell! :D

*wants this badly*
  • edited October 2007
    exciting stuff
  • MelMel
    edited October 2007
    I love the flaps (I never have a bookmark handy and I hate dog-earing the pages of a nice book like that).

Also, the leather look is very cool. Are the sepia tones of Sam & Max staying for the front cover? It works really well with them because now I'm thinking of Fleischer cartoons from the 1930's.
  • edited October 2007
    I love you Jake!
  • edited October 2007
    Wait, that's a paperback cover?! I've seen things that look like they are made from one material but are really another (it's a common practice in the world of art), but this is the first time I've seen as convincing a paper print to look and photograph as if it was leather-bound!

Excellent job on the cover! I'm glad I signed up for the e-mail notice when I did!
  • edited October 2007
    let me guess: it's not actually a photo? it looks pretty hardcover.
    *sigh* this would be so cool. imagine, sam & max bound in fake leather..
  • edited October 2007
    wisp wrote: »
    imagine, sam & max bound in fake leather..
    That would be almost as cool as Sam & Max bound in snake leather.
    edited October 2007
    wisp wrote: »
    let me guess: it's not actually a photo? it looks pretty hardcover.
    *sigh* this would be so cool. imagine, sam & max bound in fake leather..

Of course it's not a photo - I said in the post that the book is still being pieced together by the printers :P That's the same "book cover" template that is used for every image on the store. When the real book is in my hands, I'll take a ton more photos as well.
  • edited October 2007
    None of the original B&W comics got colourized did they? Because I remember how horrible of a job they did in the colour collection. Although the comics that are originally in colour look really really nice.
    If they did a pro job on them like they did with Bone then I'd be happy, but if not then I'd forget it.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2007
    Um... actually I think there are a couple of comics that were in black and white and are now in color? We didn't do it; it was stuff Steve already had.

Jake, please correct me if I'm wrong.
    edited October 2007
    "Fair Wind to Java" - the one where Sam & Max go to ancient Egypt - is appearing in color in the new Surfin the Highway. Steve found his original painted color guides which he sent in for the Color Collection, and is using those. Note that that doesn't mean it's the actual color that appeared in the Color Collection - that was a late 80s/early 90s interpretation of Steve's color guides, while with the new ones, Steve scanned in his actual original painted color sheets and dropped them under his original ink work. It looks great and, unlike the original coloring job, adds to the comic instead of detracts from it by turning Sam a weird puke color and stuff.
  • edited October 2007
    awesome fair wind to java is one of my favs.. that alone will be worth repurchasing the collection
  • edited October 2007
    I like!
  • edited November 2007
    I'd say it's time for another update on this... well?
    edited November 2007
    Latest update: we have delivered everything to the printer, were supposed to get a proof yesterday, but they ran into a few hiccups that require attention from us and we won't be able to get to them until after launch. (More than you wanted to know? :D)

We'll definitely be opening up for preorders soon but I don't want to a shipping date estimate until we're sure it'll be accurate. Stay tuned.
  • edited November 2007
    just be sure to get some fresh bank accounts, 'cause there seem to be a lot of people here desperate to buy from you soon...
  • edited November 2007
    Which makes me wonder, did you ask Steve if he'd sign some of the books? (and add one of his imfamous Max-drawings)
    edited November 2007
    There have been whispers of a signed, limited edition hardcover...
  • edited November 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    There have been whispers of a signed, limited edition hardcover...

To break the whispers: WHAT????? :eek::eek::eek:

Are we notified about this eventuality early enough, before buying millions of paperback versions?
    edited November 2007
    Of course. We're not jerks!

"more than jerks" reference preempted
  • edited November 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    Latest update: we have delivered everything to the printer, were supposed to get a proof yesterday, but they ran into a few hiccups that require attention from us and we won't be able to get to them until after launch.
    Jake wrote: »
    Of course. We're not jerks!

"more than jerks" reference preempted

You made me mess up!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.