TWD: Unofficial workaround for instant "connection lost" issues

DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
edited December 2012 in Game Support
For those of you with the instant "Connection lost" error message after pressing "GET" i might have a simple workaround.

1. First, as usual, make a backup copy of:
Win7/Vista: %userprofile%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\

XP: %userprofile%\My Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\
(International users: Exchange "My Documents" for the translation into your language from here on)

Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/

2. Download and unzip the attached Empty_PatchFS.zip

3. Copy the contained WalkingDead101PatchFs.json and WalkingDead101PatchFs.updated.json into:

Win7/Vista: %userprofile%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\SyncFs\Meta

XP: %userprofile%\My Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\SyncFs\Meta

Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/SyncFs/Meta

and overwrite the files if they exist.

On Mac you have to write protect both files. On windows they already are.

4. Start the game and download episodes

5. Close the game

6. Delete WalkingDead101PatchFs.json and WalkingDead101PatchFs.updated.json from the Meta folder

7. Start the game and make sure the game still works as intended

Technical background:
This workaround temporarily disables the latest patches of the game, which broke the download for some people. That's why you have to undo it in the later steps, so you get updates again.

Comments

• edited October 2012
    DjNDB wrote: »
    For those of you with the instant "Connection lost" error message after pressing "GET" i might have a simple workaround.

I have only tested this on one PC, so any feedback is appreciated.

- First, as usual, make a backup copy of:
    %userprofile%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\

- Download and unzip the attached Empty_PatchFS.zip

- Copy the contained WalkingDead101PatchFs.json and WalkingDead101PatchFs.updated.json into:
    %userprofile%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\SyncFs\Meta

- Enable write protection for WalkingDead101PatchFs.json and WalkingDead101PatchFs.updated.json in the Meta folder (Right click on each file, select "properties". At the bottom check the "read only" box).

- Start the game and download episodes

- Close the game

- Disable write protection for WalkingDead101PatchFs.json and WalkingDead101PatchFs.updated.json in the Meta folder (Right click on each file, select "properties". At the bottom uncheck the "read only" box).

- Delete WalkingDead101PatchFs.json and WalkingDead101PatchFs.updated.json from the Meta folder

- Start the game and make sure the game still works as intended

This appears to be working so far. 10% with no issues yet. You'll be my hero if it works.
  • edited October 2012
    This appears to be working so far. 10% with no issues yet. You'll be my hero if it works.

Yep, this worked. Downloaded the episode no problem. I got another License error when I first started the game but I just closed it out and went back in. Everything seems to be in order. I was able to get in and play a few minutes with no issues at all. You sir are awesome. Now excuse me whilst I o play! :D

Hey Telltale, maybe you should offer this guy a job. While you were ignoring everybody and twiddling your thumbs, he came up with a simple, effective solution to the problem.
  • edited October 2012
    YES, it worked. Downloaded and started without any issues.
    DjNDB , you are my hero too! :D
  • edited October 2012

- Copy the contained WalkingDead101PatchFs.json and WalkingDead101PatchFs.updated.json into:

- Enable write protection for WalkingDead101PatchFs.json and WalkingDead101PatchFs.updated.json in the Meta folder (Right click on each file, select "properties". At the bottom check the "read only" box).

- Close the game

- Disable write protection for WalkingDead101PatchFs.json and WalkingDead101PatchFs.updated.json in the Meta folder (Right click on each file, select "properties". At the bottom uncheck the "read only" box).

- Delete WalkingDead101PatchFs.json and WalkingDead101PatchFs.updated.json from the Meta folder

It worked for me, as well! I got the message that I couldn't connect, applied this patch, and it worked like a charm. TellTale--I agree with the above poster--you should be paying this guy!
  • edited October 2012
    thanks for the patch, works. Telltale fix this :(
  • edited October 2012
    I was able to download the episode following these steps. Everything seems to be working like normal. Great Job!
  • edited October 2012
    Just to confirm for everyone - I downloaded using the patch above and ran into no issues at all. I was able to play through the full episode with no issues or glitches whatsoever.
  • edited October 2012
    Just downloaded perfectly!! thank you so much!!! TTG owes you big time!
  • edited October 2012
    in my telltale games folder there's no SyncFs\Meta folder... what to do? D:
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2012
    in my telltale games folder there's no SyncFs\Meta folder... what to do? D:

That's unusual. But you downloaded the game from the store here?
  • edited October 2012
    yep
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2012
    yep

Do you have episode 2 or 3 installed and working?
    Also, which operating system are you running?
  • edited October 2012
    windows XP
    ive played 2 and 3...
    let me try to explain a bit more.
    i opened ttg folder, and i couldnt find any data refering to eps 2 and 3... but when i run the game, my saves are ok.
    i dont know if that info helps anything but...
    thx anyway :)
  • edited October 2012
    I tried this patch, was able to download it successfully, but: when I got to the last step to start the game and see if it still works normally... it's not. The game opens and I get the click to start button, but once I click the game freezes. It won't even go to the main menu. I have to ctrl + alt + delete, go to task magaer and end the program since I it says "not responding". I have even tried to restart the computer twice, and also run the game as admin, but still it freezes. Please help!
  • edited October 2012

- Close the game

THANK YOU!! IT FINALLY WORKS!!
    It's unbelievable that the solution has arrived from someone who does not work for Telltale Game Support.

Anyway, thank you sir!, good job!
  • edited October 2012
    Thank you - it worked perfectly on Vista.
  • edited October 2012
    It is currently downloading. Thanks so much.

For the person who is having the freezing issue, be sure to wait it out a bit. I thought mine was freezing a while back too but it works after about 15 seconds. Maybe the game connecting to the server or something.
  • edited October 2012
    Did the patch- it finally will at least start downloading- but then it gets to the mid-forties percentage wise and then has a "connection error" and when I click "get" again, it starts off where if left off, and then after about 5 mins it falls to only 11-18% done.

The other episodes I downloaded would sometimes have connection errors too, but every time I clicked "get" afterwards it would start where it left off and then always continue upward- not fall back down.

I was so excited because I thought it was going to work :(

Also- a HUGE thank you for all of your efforts!
  • edited October 2012
    puresholtz: I had the same problem downloading episode 3 because my phone line was wonky at the time. I EVENTUALLY got the game. Keep at it!
  • edited October 2012
    Ploot- good to hear you had the same issue and it eventually worked! I'll keep plugging along. :)
  • edited October 2012
    hey i already dl'd the files for episode 4 manually. will this be a problem? im trying you solution above and its downloading. not sure why because i already have the files. ill let u know if i run into any problems.
  • edited October 2012
    I've tried all three options several times and I still get the connection problem!
    I hate to give up now because I love this game so much, but I can't get any satisfaction at all! HHHHEEEEELLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPP!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2012
    windows XP
    ive played 2 and 3...
    let me try to explain a bit more.
    i opened ttg folder, and i couldnt find any data refering to eps 2 and 3... but when i run the game, my saves are ok.
    i dont know if that info helps anything but...
    thx anyway :)

I just noticed that the path is different on Windows XP, and it even depends on the language of the operating system. Please check the updated instructions above.
    If that doesn't help check what i write below this.

McGyver wrote: »
    I've tried all three options several times and I still get the connection problem!
    I hate to give up now because I love this game so much, but I can't get any satisfaction at all! HHHHEEEEELLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

Please make sure that you are actually in the folder the game uses.
    You can tell by the date of the prefs.prop in the folder. If you start the game, it should change to the current date + time.
  • edited October 2012
    Just checked it all and did it over again, still get the connection problem.

GRRRRRRRRRRR!
  • edited October 2012
    I was able to play through the whole episode with no problems. This work-around should be good for most people. THANKS SO MUCH!

I hope Telltale does its job and helps the rest out.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2012
    McGyver wrote: »
    Just checked it all and did it over again, still get the connection problem.

GRRRRRRRRRRR!

If you followed the instructions exactly, i don't know why it would not work.
  • edited October 2012
    I can confirm, that it does not work for me. I downloaded to 10% (before the patch), it starts from there (which is more than before the patch, where it always got connection errors) up until 30%, then I get a connection error and it starts again at 10%. I did this about 4 times, always the same problem. Ends at 30%, starts at 10%.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2012
    ChemBro wrote: »
    I can confirm, that it does not work for me. I downloaded to 10% (before the patch), it starts from there (which is more than before the patch, where it always got connection errors) up until 30%, then I get a connection error and it starts again at 10%. I did this about 4 times, always the same problem. Ends at 30%, starts at 10%.

It doesn't make the downloads more stable. It only helps from the connection instantly failing.

One more thing you can try is deleting the Temp files from:
    %userprofile%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\SyncFs\Temp
    before you start the download with this workaround.

If that also fails, you can still try the alternative download options.
  • edited October 2012
    Hi,

It's working !

Hundred thanks man !
  • edited October 2012
    I already played Ep4 through (thanks to your alternative download links) but I wanted to know and checked this out. It works first try. So how in the world can TTG say that the problem is not on their side when obviously it is. Connection is all right an d download without a problem.

This is what TTG says:
    We are aware that a small number of players are having trouble downloading Episode 4 on PC. We are currently investigating a solution to this issue and will update you when one is available.
    Until then, there are a few things you can do to avoid a connection failure message.
    Please ensure you have a strong internet connection and are logged into your Telltale account before attempting the download again.
    Also, try connecting to another available network or rebooting your modem/router.
    Furthermore, if you do encounter this problem after numerous attempts, please wait a short time before attempting the download again. Also shut down your computer before trying again.
    We do apologize for this issue. We know it is frustrating to encounter this error message, but please keep trying and Episode 4 will eventually download successfully.

Shame on you Telltale! None of the above did change a bit. With the solution from DjNDB ist worked with the first click. I really don't know WHO is the developer here!

DjNDB - you did (again) a great job. I am wondering however how your fix really works and why the download doesn't start without it....
  • IcyIcy
    edited October 2012
    Thank you DjNDB!

Worked for me too. I did however struggle a bit with the download, and it stopped at about 20% a couple of times, before it suddenly jumped up to the 60%-70% where it stopped again a couple of times before completing the installation. (Then again, internet is not always the best down in Ecuador, so that might be the reason for it stopping a few times.) So those who get the connection error during the download, keep going, it'll get there.

Started ep4 now, and it seems to have done the trick.

Thanks again.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2012
    MarkoH01 wrote: »
    DjNDB - you did (again) a great job. I am wondering however how your fix really works and why the download doesn't start without it....

I added some background info about it in the first post.

The instant "connection lost" issue came up with one of the latest patches. This workaround simply disables the patches for as long as you download the episodes.

As far as i have heard it's not affecting everyone, and it sometimes works with multiple tries, so it might be a bit difficult to find out why exactly it happens in the actual source code.
    Without patches the downloader is not perfect either, as you may know from the previous issues, losing the connection at xx %, but in this case it seems to work better with the earlier download code.
    This also implies that they did change something on the download code, probably in order to fix some of the earlier issues.
    I believe there will be an official patch at some point, but i figured out this workaround so you guys can play as early as possible.
  • edited October 2012
    you sir get +10 thank you
  • edited October 2012
    You are amazing! Telltale, you guys should really consider this guy for a job!

Klasse! Du bist mein Held!
  • edited October 2012
    @DjNDB

I'm truly not trying to be patronizing but you are incredibly awesome and Telltale should hire you. Thanks mate it worked perfectly.
  • edited October 2012
    I spent the bulk of the morning trying this workaround, unfortunately to no avail.
    But I can't be angry with you for this turn of events, Its Telltale who seem to have dropped the ball here.

I appreciate your generosity and willingness to share a possible solution!

Keep up the good work.
  • edited October 2012
    Wow, thanks man... it worked for me, too. At first try... almost. Only while downloading episode 2, it lost connection at 80-something% and when i re-tried to download it re-started from 48% and when it got to 52-53% it "jumped" to 87% and finished without any other problem. The other two episodes downloaded smoothly. Slow, but at least until the end. Now I'm doing everything from the beginning because I uninstalled the game trying to download the 4th episode but it's no problem. Problem is that a solution came from a player of this game, an user of this forum, and not from the ones who CREATED AND DEVELOPED the game. Last time I give you my money, TellTale, that's for sure.
  • edited October 2012
    I added some background info about it in the first post.

The instant "connection lost" issue came up with one of the latest patches. This workaround simply disables the patches for as long as you download the episodes.

As far as i have heard it's not affecting everyone, and it sometimes works with multiple tries, so it might be a bit difficult to find out why exactly it happens in the actual source code.
    Without patches the downloader is not perfect either, as you may know from the previous issues, losing the connection at xx %, but in this case it seems to work better with the earlier download code.
    This also implies that they did change something on the download code, probably in order to fix some of the earlier issues.
    I believe there will be an official patch at some point, but i figured out this workaround so you guys can play as early as possible.

Wow! THIS is what I call a real explanation (and what I would have expected from Telltale). Thank you very much and keep up the good work. It is great to know that there is someone who takes the problems here seriously. You really ARE a hero for TWD players and a saviour, too :)
  • edited October 2012
    Disappointed, because following all the suggested steps in this thread (both in the OP and to delete temp files) didn't work at all for me. Still get an instafail.

Really wish Telltale would address this issue, as something like it crops up on every episode release.
  • edited October 2012
    Worked here, technical sensible.

But still a shame, that users habe to help themselves. Everybody pais money for this....
This discussion has been closed.