TWD: Unofficial workaround for instant "connection lost" issues

13»

Comments

• edited October 2012
    is there a certain version of WinZip that can't/must be used in order for this to work? I have version 17 and its not opening up the Zip File. Its giving me a "cannot open file...it does not appear to be a valid archive".
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2012
    knell28 wrote: »
    is there a certain version of WinZip that can't/must be used in order for this to work? I have version 17 and its not opening up the Zip File. Its giving me a "cannot open file...it does not appear to be a valid archive".

I don't see why it shouldn't work. I use 7-Zip though.
  • edited October 2012
    Worked great; thanks!! Oh and for years I've found WinRAR to be better than WinZIP; personal preference...
  • edited October 2012
    Cool, worked fine, thanks a lot, at least someone take cares about crashed downloads ;)
  • edited October 2012
    Hey thanks. That totally worked! I had to hit the get button a few times, but it finished and the episode started.
  • edited October 2012
    Yep, this worked. Downloaded the episode no problem. I got another License error when I first started the game but I just closed it out and went back in. Everything seems to be in order. I was able to get in and play a few minutes with no issues at all. You sir are awesome. Now excuse me whilst I o play! :D

Hey Telltale, maybe you should offer this guy a job. While you were ignoring everybody and twiddling your thumbs, he came up with a simple, effective solution to the problem.

Two days ago when I looked at the TaleTale site for 'JOBS' they had just about every position available! Yup, they still do! http://www.telltalegames.com/company/jobs/
  • edited October 2012
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Wait, you already mentioned these savegame issues before the download. Or did they work again in between?

I don't know why you have to wait every time. Did you also have to wait while you did this workaround?

Yeah, the savegames disappeared after the installation of episode 3. I used the manual downloading of files and afterwards clicked "Get" to finish the download. Unfortunately after a week when I restarted the game, episode 3 had disappeared again.
    This time I used the normal download function from the app itself and this worked after a couple of tries, but afterwards, my saves were gone. Well, the files are still there, but the game doesn't recognize them anymore.

And yes, the waiting still continues, even after a workaround or any fix. I've tried deleting the temporary files, deleting the prefs.prop file, but to no avail.
  • edited October 2012
    Forgive me, but i can't seem to find the "Empty_PatchFS.zip" file/thing. lol. HELP?! :(
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2012
    Forgive me, but i can't seem to find the "Empty_PatchFS.zip" file/thing. lol. HELP?! :(

Look at the bottom of the first post in this thread.
  • edited October 2012
    Thanks so much for this workaround. It worked perfectly for me, on Vista, first time.
  • edited October 2012
    knell28 wrote: »

I already figured that out. If you are downloading with the Internet Explorer you have to rename the file from Empty_PatchFS.zip to Empty_PatchFS.zip.gz after the download and before unpacking. When you unzip it now there will be another zip file in the zip file itself. The problem is the used gzip format which does not work with some IE versions.

You may also use another browser to download the file - both ways should work.
  • edited October 2012
    DjNDB wrote: »
    There is an official statement in a sticky thread.

That is no statement it is a joke! They are speaking of not strong connections and a small number of people - both is not the truth!
  • edited October 2012
    Dude you are a saint amongst men. God Bless you
  • edited October 2012
    MarkoH01 wrote: »
    I already figured that out. If you are downloading with the Internet Explorer you have to rename the file from Empty_PatchFS.zip to Empty_PatchFS.zip.gz after the download and before unpacking. When you unzip it now there will be another zip file in the zip file itself. The problem is the used gzip format which does not work with some IE versions.

You may also use another browser to download the file - both ways should work.

You are the man! worked perfectly! Mahalo!
  • edited October 2012
    Works !!
    Thanks..

Dam yee must be busy with bugs ?
  • edited October 2012
    Just wanted to say thank you, this worked brilliantly and I can finally play.
  • edited October 2012
    Trying it...let's hope it works!
  • edited October 2012
    thanks. it worked for me as well!
  • edited October 2012
    it worked. Thank you :cool:
  • edited October 2012
    thank you! thank you! THANK YOU!!
  • edited October 2012
    It worked!It really worked!You can come stay with me if there's a zombie outbreak,thanx a lot!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2012
    The Patch is out, and the downloads should start without the workaround now.
    Just restart the game to get the patch automatically installed.
  • edited October 2012
    Did the workaround, downloaded episodes 2 and 3, but can't start the game. I click to connect, it starts to connect, then it freezes up.
  • edited November 2012
    I've tried both this AND the inofficial fix, but still nothing...no matter what items I put into any of the folders specified, the "connection lost" message keeps popping up. I think I need much more specific step-by-step instructions by someone with a Mac complete with screenshots...if anyone would be willing to help? I've gone about two months without being able to play any of the newest episodes :/
  • edited November 2012
    It worked! You should work for telltale your a legend! Thanks man.
  • edited December 2012
    this didnt work for me it still says i dont have a liscence for this game PLEASE HELP ME!
  • edited December 2012
    Ok guys, can anyone explain me where i can find this telltale folder in the library ? I'm french and even when i choose english as a language, i can't find "library" nor telltale, i just have the walking dead game in my applications ! Also can anyone explain me what is a back up ? Thank you :)
  • edited December 2012
    when i right click and go on properties, they are already checked as read-only.

so i left them...

and its still not working. The percentage increased from before. It used to freeze at 48% now it freezes at 55%.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2012
    when i right click and go on properties, they are already checked as read-only.

so i left them...

and its still not working. The percentage increased from before. It used to freeze at 48% now it freezes at 55%.

Yes, on windows they are read-only already.

This fix was for a different issue, when the download immediately went to "connection lost".

It was fixed with a patch though, so I guess it's about time to unsticky and close this.

Please let us continue in your other thread.
This discussion has been closed.