TWD: Unofficial workaround for instant "connection lost" issues

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2012
    searls wrote: »
    Disappointed, because following all the suggested steps in this thread (both in the OP and to delete temp files) didn't work at all for me. Still get an instafail.

I numbered the steps, so it's easier to talk about them.
    DjNDB wrote: »
    5. Start the game and download episodes

6. Close the game

Please proceed to step 6 again.

Then check if the folder
    %userprofile%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\SyncFs\Data\WalkingDead101PatchFs
    is empty.
    If it is not, something went wrong. Please delete the files inside.

Also make sure, that the WalkingDead101PatchFs.json and WalkingDead101PatchFs.updated.json in the Meta folder are still read-only, and their file size is 0.

Then continue at step 7.
  • edited October 2012
    Hi, just wanted to say thank you for the unoficial solution. It sure worked for me, and thanks to you I managed to play the complete episode. I did the manual donwload, and although at first it didn't seem to work, I restarted the computer and launched the game and finally the episode appeared as installed. I could then start playing!

Once again, thank you! We're so lucky to have people willing to help when Telltale Games ignores us.
  • edited October 2012
    Many thanks. Linux Wine user here who was puzzled a while thinking it would be a regression with wine. Just tried your workaround of this issue and working like a charm. Compared to the current TTG feedback this is a real help.
  • edited October 2012
    For those of you with the instant "Connection lost" error message after pressing "GET" i might have a simple workaround.

This seems to work for me. I can now download the episode. You deserve a goddamn medal, my good sir. :)
  • edited October 2012
    windows XP
    ive played 2 and 3...
    let me try to explain a bit more.
    i opened ttg folder, and i couldnt find any data refering to eps 2 and 3... but when i run the game, my saves are ok.
    i dont know if that info helps anything but...
    thx anyway :)

Following up on this guys issue. I'm experiencing the same thing, no SyncFs folder.
    Within The Walking Dead lies a folder "Game Data" and the uninstall option.
    Within the Game Data folder is a folder "Pack", something called fmodex.dll, and WalkingDead101 (which I assume is the game itself).
    Within the Pack folder is another folder named "Default", and inside that are 13 TTARCH files, varying from shaders, to patches, to language settings.

I'm unsure if this helps in the slightest, but maybe if you know which things I've downloaded from TT, it would help in some way.

I run on vista, I bought the game directly from the site, and have downloaded all three prior episodes no problem within the client itself, and boy I tell you did I rush home when I heard episode four was out!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2012
    gibs wrote: »
    Following up on this guys issue. I'm experiencing the same thing, no SyncFs folder.
    Within The Walking Dead lies a folder "Game Data" and the uninstall option.
    Within the Game Data folder is a folder "Pack", something called fmodex.dll, and WalkingDead101 (which I assume is the game itself).
    Within the Pack folder is another folder named "Default", and inside that are 13 TTARCH files, varying from shaders, to patches, to language settings.

That sounds like you are looking in the install folder instead of the one i posted.
    What do you see if you copy
    %userprofile%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\
    into the URL field of windows explorer and press enter?
    It should resolve to something like
    C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
  • edited October 2012
    Keeps failing for me at 20% then goes back down to 10% when i retry. then just goes in a cycle :(
  • edited October 2012
    That sounds like you are looking in the install folder instead of the one i posted.
    What do you see if you copy
    %userprofile%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\
    into the URL field of windows explorer and press enter?
    It should resolve to something like
    C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

Turns out it is, you know the other guy probably did the same as I. I have two hard drives on my computer, it's installed on one, I ended up finding the rest due to you. I found the folder and feel like a fool, going to test this patch out and will return to praise you if success.

Thought I'd mention, those who aren't savvy do usually make stupid mistakes, happens in all fields.
  • edited October 2012
    Thank you DjNDB for finding this solution, you're awesome.
    No thank you to Telltale games; you still suck.
  • edited October 2012
    DjNDB is a champion and a hero to all. We shall sing praises and worship him on our carefree days, and call upon him on our darkest night! Yes it worked, thanks man!
  • edited October 2012
    This is great, it worked!

One thing that confused me for a second though is that for me, your zip contained a single file which is actually another zip file but without .zip in the filename. People need to first extract this, rename it to add the .zip on the end and extract it to get the 2 files. They're just empty files but useful to have!
  • edited October 2012
    Great Fix, Thank you!

I at first did not think it worked, until I realized I wasn't going to the correct file. Windows people, make sure you go under your username files!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2012
    Eiden wrote: »
    One thing that confused me for a second though is that for me, your zip contained a single file which is actually another zip file but without .zip in the filename. People need to first extract this, rename it to add the .zip on the end and extract it to get the 2 files. They're just empty files but useful to have!

I heard that once before for .zip forum attachments. As far as i have heard it is only an issue with internet explorer 8.
  • edited October 2012
    Uninstalled game again (for the tenth time), followed procedure to the letter and at least i'm getting it to dl ep2! Will let you know if it works this time.
  • edited October 2012
    It doesn't make the downloads more stable. It only helps from the connection instantly failing.

One more thing you can try is deleting the Temp files from:
    %userprofile%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\SyncFs\Temp
    before you start the download with this workaround.

I did that, still the 10%/30% problem. I'll try the alternative...
  • dx1dx1
    edited October 2012
    Yay, it worked. Saves are intact and my previous on The Walking Dead scenes are correct. Thank you so much.
  • edited October 2012
    Thank you for the ability to download episode 4. My last save game was after completion of episode 2. I had many disconnects downloading both episode 3 & 4.

I start a game with episode 3 and play until after the second autosave. I exit the game and restart, and it doesn't even think I downloaded episodes 2-4. Remembering the fiasco about the prefs.prop file and it's 2 locations being the install loc and my username, I find it insists on writing to the install location.

I copy my original prefs.prop to the install location and restart the game again. I again have to restart episode 3. After the second autosave, i exit and restart the game.

And guess what? It doesn't even know I played until the second autosave. This repeats every time I try to play this game. I have had to watch the recap of episode 2 and begin of episode 3 six times now.

I will continue trying to find an answer on these forums, but I am very close to requesting a refund. This is the last Telltale game I will ever buy.

Ok, I seem to have it working now.

I had 2 playthroughs in 2 save slots. I backed everything up and created 2 different sets of prefs.prop and save games for each playthrough. I deleted 1 of the playthroughs in each set for each particular playthrough. So, I have 2 sets of files and copy them to proper directories depending on which I want to play.

One playthrough runs fine with the prefs.prop file on the actual install location; it reads and writes to that file. The other playthrough reads from the install location, but, then writes to the user directory where the save files are. After quitting, I have to manually copy the prefs.prop file from the user folder into the install directory.

This is now working for me, but, is ridiculous. Telltale games needs to hire new programmers before they lose all of their customers.
  • edited October 2012
    holy crap thank you!~
  • edited October 2012
    franleiman wrote: »
    THANK YOU!! IT FINALLY WORKS!!
    It's unbelievable that the solution has arrived from someone who does not work for Telltale Game Support.

Anyway, thank you sir!, good job!

Same for me

Thanks a lot to DjNDB!! :)

Anyway I'm still disappointed with TT support, which has been unexisting in this case :(

C'mon TT, this kind of things should not happen again

TWD is maybe your best game (for me it is for sure) and a big seller, so it needs more technical quality and more support is something goes wrong
  • edited October 2012
    DjNDB, I thank you for your assistance. Like many other people, even with the patch, I still have to reconnect to restart the download every 7-15%. Then I have lost a few percentages as well by having to reconnect

Do I need to do anything with the back up that made with the saved games? Did I miss a step?

Even with your help, all this hassle does not reflect well on Telltale Games.

****EDIT *** I take that back, I get to 17% and it disconnects and kicks me back to 10%. Or, at least it has 3 times so far :(

Somebody remind me why I am doing this again?
  • edited October 2012
    I followed the steps and when I get around 20-28% it gets a connection error and restarts at 10%. Found the files and put in the read only on both of them. They are in the meta folder too. System is W7 and the other downloads have worked before. I have already deleted the temps a few times before starting the download. I followed the steps to the letter but still have some trouble.

Any advise?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2012
    Keep in mind, that this only works around the instant "connection lost" issue. It doesn't prevent later disconnects.
    If you can't get the Download to run through, you might be better off using the alternative download workaround.
  • edited October 2012
    Thank you! Thank you!
  • edited October 2012
    Absolute legend!! Thank you :)
  • edited October 2012
    Still not working, is it possible if it will fix itself in time?
  • edited October 2012
    Never mind, I tried the process again and it's working fine
  • edited October 2012
    Thank you, this worked first time for me and I have just played the whole of Episode 4 through with no problems.

I do think it's a shame that there has been no official apology or comment issued after a week, hopefully this will be forthcoming. Telltale make some great games, they just need to tighten up on quality control.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2012
    There is an official statement in a sticky thread.
  • edited October 2012
    I grew desperate because the patch didn't work, so I played around with the write protection, which of course had no effect. I was reseting my computer, checked my internet connection a few times... nothing worked. Then I wanted to delete that useless patch and when I opened the Meta-Folder, the patch was gone....:eek:

because I copied it into the Backup-Meta-Folder :rolleyes:

Long story short: it works and thanks a lot

But one thing I don't understand... why do I have to disable the write protection before deleting? :confused:
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2012
    LukkyLX wrote: »
    But one thing I don't understand... why do I have to disable the write protection before deleting? :confused:

Thanks, i removed the extra step. I probably thought that read-only would prevent deletion when i wrote it.
  • edited October 2012
    As an update- I finally got it to download! Deleting the temp files before download worked :)

Thanks so much!
  • edited October 2012
    I am new to PC and half of the OP's post is gibberish to me. Can anyone help me through this?
  • edited October 2012
    This working better than not at all, but that's not saying much. The download is painfully slow and appears to lose the connection every 10% or so, I'm only to 20%, I'll keep you posted.
  • edited October 2012
    This worked for me, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Telltale, really pathetic.
  • edited October 2012
    So is there a Mac fix as well?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2012
    JordyLicht wrote: »
    So is there a Mac fix as well?

I don't have a Mac, so i can't try it. The same thing might work, by copying the same empty .json files to
    ~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/SyncFs/Meta
    and write protecting them, until the episodes are downloaded, and deleting them afterwards.

Don't forget to make a backup of
    ~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/
    before you try it.
  • edited October 2012
    Wow mine started downloading!
  • edited October 2012
    Yessir... The download worked, so yes this fix also works for Mac.
    I'm now the proud owner of episode 4 :)

... but, now my saves aren't recognized anymore. Even though the savefiles are still there. I only have an option for a new game.

EDIT:

DjNJB, since you seem you visit this thread regularly, do you have ANY idea why I keep on having to wait 20 minutes until I can go to the main menu? I already know it's downloading an update, so the first time I just waited patiently, but I get this every time I start the game.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2012
    JordyLicht wrote: »
    Yessir... The download worked, so yes this fix also works for Mac.
    I'm now the proud owner of episode 4 :)

... but, now my saves aren't recognized anymore. Even though the savefiles are still there. I only have an option for a new game.

EDIT:

DjNJB, since you seem you visit this thread regularly, do you have ANY idea why I keep on having to wait 20 minutes until I can go to the main menu? I already know it's downloading an update, so the first time I just waited patiently, but I get this every time I start the game.

Wait, you already mentioned these savegame issues before the download. Or did they work again in between?

I don't know why you have to wait every time. Did you also have to wait while you did this workaround?
  • edited October 2012
    Thank you so much! I can finally play :)
This discussion has been closed.