Thoughts on 201

edited November 2007 in Sam & Max
"Did someone say birthday?"

Maybe not, but it certainly felt like my birthday getting to play this release. I thought I could hammer it out in a couple hours, but it took me somewhere between 3 and 4 hours to complete... and I have the feeling I missed some dialog choices along the way.

So how does this episode stack up against previous episodes? It isn't my favorite episode, but it is still highly enjoyable. The game play style is familiar, but there are some new elements that threw me for a loop... and made the game feel fresh and new. I even got stuck on some of the puzzles, which is a S&M Episodes first... however, I felt I got stuck because I didn't have enough direction. Luckily, the new hint system gave me a little push in the right direction without spoiling the solution for me... great implementation, TTG! Also, certain elements which I thought were red herrings were later utilized in a fun-to-solve puzzle... which truly made me smile. A malevolent smile, yes... but a smile nonetheless.

Oh, and get ready for a "mini-game" that I never knew was possible with the Telltale tool. It will be a sure-fire knockout with some fans.

What is most exciting about this release, however, is that the new style and gameplay elements show great potential for the coming games. I am actually almost giddy with excitement to see what Telltale has in store for us in the episodes to come. Sorry, I will never use the word "giddy" ever again.

Thanks for another great release Telltale, and keep up with the good work. I couldn't have asked for a much better first episode of the season, and I will probably be playing through it again this weekend to see all that I might have missed.

Technical Highlights: Double Click to run in outdoor areas (I don't remember this from last season, although I don't remember what I ate for lunch yesterday either); ability to match any resolution your monitor can support; seemingly faster load times; smoother framerate on my rig. However, I can't tell any increase in sound quality. At least it didn't decrease!

Comments

• edited November 2007
    yeah i like a lot of the story telling elements they used in the story... the frequent twists in the plot, and the fact that they threw several "fake endings" at you... just when you think its over, SURPRSIE! you have to do something else.... one of the other things a liked was the implemtation of an interactive cold opener, where the player has to solve a mini case at the begining that seemingly has nothing to do with the main plot at first... but i am not going to give details and spoil anything

oh, and who knew how entertaining a hole in a wall could be... :D

i also liked the way they made the episode zaney, and brought in some of the old famous sam and max random destruction, and they even threw in
    a boxing match, a toy destruction driving rampage, the total annilation of the street as we knew it, and a good old wild west shoot out with none other than santa claus packing a machine gun
  • edited November 2007
    Dangerzone wrote: »
    oh, and who knew how entertaining a hole in a wall could be... :D

Highly agreed :)
  • edited November 2007
    Ah poo. It's friday here but it's probably like *counts on fingers* 9 or 10pm in California. I'll probably have to wait until noon before it's out on the site. Not a problem since I start my weekend well before then!

*question!*
    Do you actually get to see Flint in this episode? Do you get to go in his office or the hallway or lobby of the building also?
  • edited November 2007
    I actually got worse loading times with S2E1, as it seemed to be chewing up my RAM more than it should have. But no biggie.

I can honestly say that this episode had the funniest opening sequence yet, in my opinion.
    The Carpenters reference was genius. :D

The dialogue seemed much less inhibited, and more like "classic" Sam & Max.

The music was really good in the North Pole areas, almost Nightmare Before Christmas-like.

And, of course, the gameplay itself is great as always, with long-awaited keyboard control for the minigames.
  • edited November 2007
    Amazing work, Telltale, and a fine way to start the season.

I didn't get stuck once and thought the puzzles made a load of sense, but maybe that's just after having played last season (I got stuck a couple of times in S1). That's not to say it was easy at all. There was minimal running back and forth, plenty of anticipating the solutions, yet it wasn't short by any stretch of the imagination and overall, I found it possibly the most satisfying episode yet from a gameplay standpoint.

The dialog was of the usual high quality humor. Not quite up to S1E4's, but somewhere in the top 3 or 4.

The old characters seemed underutilized, though I appreciated the attempt to not rely so heavily on their dialog for explicit answers and enjoyed the new locations. I hope Telltale continues to mix it up more location-wise on a per-episode basis this season.

It's obvious that Telltale fully absorbed the feedback from their stellar first season of Sam and Max and responded successfully, building on the form of content delivery that they've pretty much defined. The real test will be with this next episode, if they can refine it further, on an episode-to-episode basis, rather than season-to-season, they'll go down as legends. Even if they don't, I'll consume it with glee and much wearing of T-shirts, framing of signed prints, and quite literal LOLs.

Favorites:

1) Sam and Max's
    disgust at the mere presence of the Soda Poppers
    2)
    The jukebox at Stinky's.
    I must've sat there for half an hour just
    listening to the songs
    . A treat for fans.
    3)
    The record puzzle
    . What an ingenious way to encourage exploration without making it obvious by having a character tell you explicitly how to solve a puzzle. If you know how to play adventure games, you've already put in the time to have the answers.
    4) The inclusion of optional "bonus" content.
    Keep playing the augmented reality car game and you can shoot rare objects to get decals for your car.
    5) The voice work is stellar as usual, as is the music.
    6) The new characters are funny, well-acted, and well-animated. I liked seeing the
    elves' gums

Not-so-favorites:
    1) The old characters are present only to serve up in-reference jokes and do not deliver (m)any funny stand-alone lines or game-play purpose. The players gain no new insight into the existing characters, excepting
    the bug
    , which was always more an interesting gameplay device with a personality, rather than a real character.
    2) The inclusion of more clunky arcade game scenarios. They're more humorous compared to last season, but still just not fun IMO. It's nice that you get
    more decals from the game
    , but I'd prefer solving optional point-and-click puzzles to unlock content that's a bit more substantial.

...and on that line of thought...

Maybe I'm dumb and missed it, but I haven't seen it in any of the episodes. Can we have some secret, hidden content with voice acting from our favorite characters that isn't revealed through requisite main-storyline puzzles or meandering, ultimately meaningless conversations? Side quest puzzles would be great. Multiple solutions to even a single puzzle would be great to see this season.
  • edited November 2007
    xChri5x wrote: »
    ... *question!*
    Do you actually get to see Flint in this episode? Do you get to go in his office or the hallway or lobby of the building also?

well... you will just have to wait a few hours and see for yourself, cause i aint talking... and to anyone who does talk... *gets axe out and starts cleaning the old blood off it from last time*
  • edited November 2007
    OK, thoughts.

1. Nice plot twist
    after the exorcism
    . Wasn't expecting that.

2. Nice length, IMO.

If Santa wasn't the one possessed in the beginning of the game, then why is it that the game ends WITH him possessed (or does it? He stopped looking possessed for his final line...). And why the freakin' heck does the episode end by shipping him off to Satan. Sure, he's (possibly) possessed by the shambling corporate presence that was intended to be sent to Satan from Lower Manitoba, but shouldn't we get the innocent santa out of the situation before sending him off to Hell? Oh well, fodder for the next episode, maybe. And I'll be honest, I'm really not sure how this all ties together. Other than the head present, I've seen nothing that's overtly connected to what's supposedly going on on Easter Island. Feels... too disconnected.

4. Flint Paper
    appears behind the hole in your wall made in the opening cutscene. Granted, however, since this is in a spoiler tag you're not likely to be reading it until after you've begun the game, at which point it's meaningless. So this # is relatively redundant.
  • edited November 2007
    Spoilers ahoy!

I've just finished the game and it took me a total of around four hours - that is really solid and I hope this length remains throughout the whole season.

The tutorial was a bit disapointing, as I was hoping for some new content by pretending I've never played an adventure game before - instead I got some recycled content from the first game - ah well, at least it had some new lines in it!

The start of the game was simply awesome. All the song lines that the robot kept 'singing' was just gold. I also thought that the title sequence was great, but I only realised that I could shoot things just as the last object was going off the screen... Hit the Road reference, anyone?

The animation in this game was by far better than any other episode in the previous season... infact, I'm going to let you get away with not having Sam put his hands in his pockets. The animation really stood out so much for me in the last sequence (with all the Soda Poppers and elfs) - the Soda Poppers facial and body movements was top notch.

I do like the new layout of the street and how quickly you can now move about it, but I've got to say right out that if nothing in it changes from episode to episode, it is "going to get old, fast" like it did last time. I'm hoping that in each episode Bosco and Stinky's will undergo slight changes - I'm also hoping that the rubble than now replaces Sybil's isn't just going to remain as rubble throughout the whole season.

I liked the use of the red herrings, even if they weren't intentional. What I mean is the bomber flying around Santa's grotto (can I call it that?), the trampoline and the canon. I was convinced I had to use these to get into Santa's room... alas, these items came into use later in the game.

The loading times were slightly longer for me than that in season one, but only by a couple of seconds - nothing that I'd complain about. Music was superb as always, humour was hilarious (more rude jokes than last time)...

Great work guys. I'll be posting my review of it on Gamespot in the next week.

...ohh, I also liked the brand new launcher. :D

ohh, ohh, the COPS option changer? *thumbs up*
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2007
    large spoilers here, in both the original post and my response.
    Maratanos wrote: »
    If Santa wasn't the one possessed in the beginning of the game, then why is it that the game ends WITH him possessed (or does it? He stopped looking possessed for his final line...). And why the freakin' heck does the episode end by shipping him off to Satan. Sure, he's (possibly) possessed by the shambling corporate presence that was intended to be sent to Satan from Lower Manitoba, but shouldn't we get the innocent santa out of the situation before sending him off to Hell? Oh well, fodder for the next episode, maybe. And I'll be honest, I'm really not sure how this all ties together. Other than the head present, I've seen nothing that's overtly connected to what's supposedly going on on Easter Island. Feels... too disconnected.

Santa was never possessed at the start of the game - the demon was living in one of the elves, and was only brought out by the exorcism. That said, Santa is a jolly old man, and can't pass up a tray of jell-o if he sees it, and eats the exorcised demon, which at this point actually possesses him. The only way to get rid of the demon at that point is to pack it up in a crate and send it to its original destination.

And as for why they're connected... you haven't actually played episode two yet, you've just seen a single screenshot, so I don't know what you're expecting? We're not going to telescope the overall arc in the first episode. If you ever find yourself in the Telltale offices when no one's around, go to the conference room in the back and look for a huge strip of butcher paper covered in post-its taped up right below the whiteboard. It will spoil many things for you, but also prove that things are well planned out :).
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2007
    I know I don't need to say this, and it might not mean as much since I'm on the S&M team, but this season is a blast. All of the new stories are so rich and more up to par with wacky crazy antics of the Dog and Rabbit that we know and love. I love being able to come into work and help make this stuff. So I'm assuring anyone with sadness in their heart, that even thought we are down an episode, these 5 are JAMPACKED with greatness. I can't wait to hear what you guys think when the season is wrapped. Enjoy 201 for now!
    edited November 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    l
    If you ever find yourself in the Telltale offices when no one's around, go to the conference room in the back and look for a huge strip of butcher paper covered in post-its taped up right below the whiteboard. It will spoil many things for you, but also prove that things are well planned out :).

Its true. I still haven't looked at it. I like remaining as ignorant as I can until I get to play.
  • edited November 2007
    Just tried the demo, and it was excellent!
    Found an error, though - Sam incorrectly stated that the burnt Hypnobear was a memento of taking down the Toy Mafia.
  • edited November 2007
    Just tried the demo, and it was excellent!
    Found an error, though - Sam incorrectly stated that the burnt Hypnobear was a memento of taking down the Toy Mafia.

I thought it was...?
    Or was that Culture Shock's memento? If so, what did they get from 103?
  • edited November 2007
    They got Leonard from 103, the Hypnobear from 102. (From Myra)
    edited November 2007
    the teddy bear heads on the wall. right?
  • edited November 2007
    Oh, the wall one? Nevermind, then.
  • edited November 2007
    The one on the wall wasn't there until now. Leonard was captured in 103. The Hypnobear was fried in 102
    edited November 2007
    no you're right tho... they got leonard from 103
    edited November 2007
    this thread is a mess of people posting responses at the same time lol
  • edited November 2007
    I *REALLY* want the updated office theme from the first sequence as an mp3. It was smokin!!!

Review:

Loved the enhanced graphics, extended story line, red-herrings, etc. Telltale really outdid themselves from last season. Can't wait for Ep. 2!
  • edited November 2007
    It's still a memory of the Toy Mafia, though :)

Also, the tutorial isn't really meant to be new content... it's meant to be a tutorial!
  • edited November 2007
    @nick
    You guys are just that damn popular :P Feel that wondrous celebrity rush.

*shakes fist* Feel it! [/homer]
  • edited November 2007
    tabacco wrote: »
    It's still a memory of the Toy Mafia, though :)
    But it wasn't involved in taking the Mafia down, though.
  • edited November 2007
    But it wasn't involved in taking the Mafia down, though.

doesn't mean it doesn't remind them of it ;)
  • edited November 2007
    yeh it made me laugh when i opened the cupboard door to see if leonard was still there and he was .. haha
    edited November 2007
    Sp0tted wrote: »
    I *REALLY* want the updated office theme from the first sequence as an mp3. It was smokin!!!

Review:

Loved the enhanced graphics, extended story line, red-herrings, etc. Telltale really outdid themselves from last season. Can't wait for Ep. 2!

ya... gotta love those new graphics...
  • edited November 2007
    Jake:
    I know that Santa wasn't possessed at first. I just wanna know how sending him to Hell is gonna help matters.

Also, on that note, if Santa's not possessed, why is he so trigger-happy?
    edited November 2007
    I think Santa is just stir crazy after spending decades in his cabin alone in the snow. He might be a paranoid gun advocate. Did you see his vest and shaved head?
  • edited November 2007
    yeah... if i broke into houses for a living, i would carry a machine gun around too
    edited November 2007
    hey! nice post! 4:20 PM!! hehehehehehe *runs off into the corner like a small gidy child*
  • edited November 2007
    Sam and Max's neighborhood layout in this season looks virtually identical to "Hit the Road"
  • edited November 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    you haven't actually played episode two yet, you've just seen a single screenshot

Whoa, where's that from?

Anyway, just beat it, and loved it. Can't wait to see what's next.
    edited November 2007
    by the way.... season 2... it rocks... games are nice. so are video games. and love... and sam and max... ya... this day is best for all
  • edited November 2007
    I laughed HARD at the opening screen. That was genius. Took me right back to 1990.

(Although I daresay our dear member Mel, for instance, wouldn't get the joke.)
    edited November 2007
    You totally posted that twice.
  • MelMel
    edited November 2007
    ATMachine wrote: »
    I laughed HARD at the opening screen. That was genius. Took me right back to 1990.

(Although I daresay our dear member Mel, for instance, wouldn't get the joke.)

Huh?! Me? :eek:

I can't download the game for a couple of days. Now I can't wait to see what the joke is. :D
  • edited November 2007
    I just finished playing the new episode, and I have to say, I like it.

The tutorial is a great way to introduce people to the world of adventure games, and I also find it funny how you guys ultimately are using the opening scene from Season 1 as your tutorial.

As far as the actual game goes, you've outdone yourselves!
    Pete's Maimtron 9000 cold opener, Flint's intro, Mr. Spacula's death,
    and the clever puzzles! Not to meantion the wealth of easter eggs that I have only found a portion of! Though I have to agree with Sam & Max's general reaction to the Soda Poppers, but it was nice to see them in a Maya-produced cut scene for once.

The upgrades to the Desoto were kind of a let down, and that sticker you win is barely noticible. The COPS re-intro was nicely done, as well as the name of their body shop.

Speaking of which, I love that set-up screen! Especially all the commentary the COPS make when you set things up. Because my machine was slowing down, I apparently appealed to their sense of comradory... or something...

I can't wait to see what else is in store for the season. I'll be playing this again, and for the first time I was able to figure out all the problems on my own! Without hints or visiting the forums because I got stuck!! (Yeah, I know, I'm pathetic...)

By the way, best puzzle in the episode? Has to go to Stinky's Trivia. That one took me a while to figure out what was going on.

Best easter egg I found?
    Shooting the gong!

Best Mini-Game? Definately the Boxing game, though I'm rather disappointed you can only play it once.
  • edited November 2007
    my face feels so clean!
  • edited November 2007
    What a way to start a season. Great freakin' work guys. Seriously, this episode is as close to perfect as you've gotten, that is to say, the best episode yet, in my humble opinion.

I really enjoy the new music, Flint Paper of course, new gameplay features and whatnot.
    Also, the addition of detail makes the game MUCH more Purcellesque - the banana pinned to the dartboard, the shorts on the heater, the little rat in the little alley between the office and bosco....you guys are getting there. Don't stop though, just built up and add plenty more detail.

It would also be cool to add some NPCs, kinda like the fat dude in Hit the Road at Snuckeys eating icecream, you could have an anonymous guy / couple reluctantly eating at Stinky's or something. That would make the world seem a lot more populated.
    ALSO, the way most of the characters are brought back every single episode really gets tiring. Not that I didn't enjoy the characters, but besides the regulars that you can't avoid, bosco, jimmy two-teeth and flint, the soda poppers are just plain obnoxious at this point.

You might also consider having guest characters that only show up literally once in the season/series.

Keeping leonard in the closet is a good idea though. Haha.

Go Telltale.
  • edited November 2007
    (The soda poppers are 100% optional to talk to in 201, you know)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.