Thoughts on 201

Comments

• edited November 2007
    I loved it :D It actually felt longer to me than the other episodes, but maybe it was because it took me forever to figure out how to get the glove from Jimmy.

It already has my favourite line in the entire series thus far, "God *censored* us, every one!" That had me rolling. I commend telltale for making the only funny 'A Christmas Carol' spoof in the history of ever [I hate 'A Christmas Carol' and I hate it when TV cartons make fun of it. And considering every carton from the Flinstones to the Simpsons have done one, it grows old, though I am fond of the old 50's film 'Scrooge'. I like old movies]

The only thing that I didn't like is that
    they were too obvious on who the villain *really* was. I knew from the second I saw the snow devil, I knew that Satan would be a villain later in the series, if not the villain of the entire season. It was a little harder to guess in Season 1, even though I knew Hugh Bliss was gonna be the bad guy by Episode 4. I loved the fact they used 'Roy G. Biv' in Ep 5. Very clever, I wonder how many people got it.
    But that's off track, this is season 2 we're supposed to be talking about.

Theres one other comment I have: Flint Paper's voice was perfect :cool: The sound design overall is great in this series.
  • edited November 2007
    tabacco wrote: »
    (The soda poppers are 100% optional to talk to in 201, you know)

Yeah but not 100% optional to listen to during the end scene.

I second Max's opinion, why don't they just die?
    I think that'd make for a very popular episode - where the soda poppers suddenly tragically spontaneously combust, or explode in a gory and graphic display of various shades of red... too stong?
  • edited November 2007
    i am waiting for the day when we open the closet to find lenard gone, and the 3 soda popers stuffed in in there instead
  • edited November 2007
    I'm really enjoying Ice Station Santa.

But at the same time I'm quite freaked out
    that max wants to bomb auckland (my city of residence) with the santa sleigh!
  • edited November 2007
    Phobs wrote: »
    But at the same time I'm quite freaked out
    that max wants to bomb auckland (my city of residence) with the santa sleigh!

just take it as a compliment...;)

anyway, i think the first episode is great. so many hilarious lines of dialogue and everything runs a lot smoother and looks better than last season.
    i was really surprised by the setup screen and the tutorial was also well done. at first i was a bit dissapointed that it uses old story from 101, but since it was meant to be for new players and the others should not miss anything if they don't want to play it, it's okay. it just lacks a mention of the doubleclick-to-run feature. there might also a slight improvment to the running itself in the future. if you want to run long distances sam always stops between clicks and the animation looks a bit strange. no big deal though.

about the ending:
    i just love that half-assed solution to pack possessed santa in the box. you just can't safe them all..:D
  • edited November 2007
    Just finished it. Took just a bit over 3 hours, but I've forgone a number of dialog options and there are still a couple of things I'm going back to try out; I'd say the length feels perfect. The difficulty level is great, too - I actually like the hint system.
    And speaking about nifty features, the "Telltale login" and "register through Telltale login" features were very nice, especially with that paranoid firewall I'm using. I did miss a "retry internet connection" option, but no biggie. Oh and that autosave-on-F5 is great, you should have pointed that out somewhere.
    I'm also pleased with the performance boost. It runs as well on 1024x768 as Season One did on 800x600. This does seem to come at the price of noticeably longer loading times, but so long as the music keeps playing I can handle it.
    I'd list some particularly hilarious things, but there's just too many of them (plus I'd have to spoiler-tag them). I do want to express my wow at seeing a
    time-travel
    -(sub)plot already, and a very well-delivered and -exploited one at that. You've even managed to keep the number of
    paradoxes
    down (I counted only one) by strategic
    portal placement
    - though
    paradoxes
    can also add to the fun, of course.
    All in all, it's every bit as good as I hoped and expected, which is saying a lot.
  • edited November 2007
    i threw at least 12 snowballs at the soda poppers, everytime I crossed them.....and some more ;)
  • edited November 2007
    mothra wrote: »
    i threw at least 12 snowballs at the soda poppers, everytime I crossed them.....and some more ;)

You can throw snowballs at the Soda Poppers?! I've gotta go do that...!
  • edited November 2007
    Great start of the season !! I really enjoyed all the subtle improvements over Season 1.
    Keep up the good work.
  • edited November 2007
    SPOILER....kinda and I don't know how to use the tags...

What I found funny was the random mexican guy in the trailer that I kept thinking was a big part of it all...but all he do was go "happy birthday!" lol XD
  • edited November 2007
    Kitmit13 wrote: »
    SPOILER....kinda and I don't know how to use the tags...

What I found funny was the random mexican guy in the trailer that I kept thinking was a big part of it all...but all he do was go "happy birthday!" lol XD

That doesn't mean he isn't going to be a big part in the future...
    ...or perhaps just a red herring?

By the way, I think spoiler tags/warnings are pretty useless in this thread, since we've all flooded it with spoilers anyway. :D People with any sense would probably realise this from the thread title!
  • edited November 2007
    wisp wrote: »
    there might also a slight improvment to the running itself in the future. if you want to run long distances sam always stops between clicks and the animation looks a bit strange. no big deal though.

You can just double-click, and hold the mouse-button pressed, so Sam KEEPS running. Works for walking as well.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2007
    wisp wrote: »
    . there might also a slight improvment to the running itself in the future. if you want to run long distances sam always stops between clicks and the animation looks a bit strange. no big deal though.

A ha! This is where the second already-included improvement to walking/running comes into play. Did you notice that if you just hold down the mouse button, Sam will follow the cursor around as you drag it across the screen? Try double clicking, but holding down the second click. Sam will run around chasing your cursor, so you can Double click and hold it down and just drag it to the edge of the screen, and Sam will run down the length of the entire street until you let go of the mouse button.
  • edited November 2007
    just finished it and loved playing every second of it. I loved the way the episode started up. I liked the whole past/present/future concept in the story, the soundtrack was one of the best yet i think, nice one for keeping leonard tied up in the cupboard..hehe.The mini games were a nice addition and some of the puzzles were not as straightforward as season one. I got stuck at various points before i figured out what i had to do. So thankyou for a great episode and cant wait to play episode 2.

maybe a little bit off topic but is there any planning to how many seasons of sam and max you are going to do?
  • edited November 2007
    I must say that Im a bit dissapointed. I thought episode 1, 4 and 5 were awesome, episode 2 and 3 quite good, but was really dissapointed with episode 6. So I really go my hopes up with the awesome beginning of this episode with the robot. But after while in Santas shop, it really became.......well it just wasn´t that funny. I suppose its mainly because I thought Stinky was quite dull, as we´re the puzzles in the diner (which with its decorations was to much like Sybils place), and please.......drop the Sybil-Abe thing.

And Insane Santa should have been used much more.

The episode was ok, with a great beginning. But at the end, it was nowhere near the quality of episode 4 and 5.
  • edited November 2007
    It just dawned on me after playing the game for the fifth time in a row.
    Does anyone else think the location and events that happen in Christmas Future are going to end up being part of the final cut scene in the last episode for the season?
  • edited November 2007
    Zeek wrote: »
    Does anyone else think the location and events that happen in Christmas Future are going to end up being part of the final cut scene in the last episode for the season?

YEP 8D
  • edited November 2007
    I thought the best part about this episode were the elves.
  • edited November 2007

Ooh, good thinking!
    ...wait... fifth time in a row? :eek:

Actually, episode five comes out in April and since that was a Christmas future, I don't think so.
  • edited November 2007
    Actually, episode five comes out in April and since that was a Christmas future, I don't think so.
    Well, Christmas Past happened in Feb. of this past year, technically. So :p
  • edited November 2007
    I think we're definitely going to see that from the other side, probably in episode five. I'd say it feels more like a
    start of the second act thing than a finale thing
    , though.
  • edited November 2007
    Weren't Past, Present und Future just the points in time where Sam & Max RUINED christmas for Jimmy, The Bug and S&M themselves (or probably Satan, because it looked like they were in hell)? After all Christmas Present wasn't/isn't christmas either, but mid-November (as the duo also states before the end credits... and my calende proves ;) ).
  • edited November 2007
    My thoughts:
    I loved the intro cutscene. Had me laughing throughout.
    I also liked the boxing minigame, even though I realized how to beat it right off the bat I still had to give it a couple of tries.
    The decal thing was a pretty fun diversion, too.
    I thought the difficulty was pretty good as well. I was consistently entertained trying to solve the puzzles, and only got stuck once or twice, but even then I had a pretty good general idea of what to do.
    The
    plot twist with the possessed elves
    was sheer genius.
    On the downside, I didn't like Stinky much. She came off as too much of a pretentious, self-absorbed liar. And not in a good way, either. Also, Sybil and Abe were pretty pointless- they could have been pretty much anyone and it would have worked out the same.
    Also, where's the Mexican guy? I didn't find him...
  • edited November 2007
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    Also, where's the Mexican guy? I didn't find him...
    Talk to the bug a second time, preferibly after you've fixed Christmas Present.
  • edited November 2007
    Kitmit13 wrote: »
    YEP 8D

I'm doubtful. Sam says "a long time ago" not "a few months ago".
  • edited November 2007
    yeh i think it might very well be but , it depends on how far in the future it is.
  • edited November 2007
    I loved all the Christmas Carol references, especially Jimmy's kid in the Tiny Tim role :D I wonder if we'll get to see Jimmy's wife and kid again. And the boxing mini game was a really nice touch.

I really hope we get to see the Christmas Future rescue from the other side, preferably in episode 4 or 5.

The puzzles seemed a lot harder than the first season. Some parts really had me stumped for a while.
  • edited November 2007
    okay just finished 201.. my thoughts

- gameplay wise i thought this was the best game telltale has produced.. it took me over 5 hours..didn't use the hint system.. it was fairly difficult and a great length

- i love flint paper's voice..perfect

- loved santas voice, the way he looked..just great character

- music, once again brilliant

- i officially cant stand the soda poppers..may they die a horrible death

- not as funny as 104..but still lots of laughs in this 1

- loved the multiple endings..storywise plotted out beautifully

- environments looked better and seemed bigger than season 1

- heaps of stuff to click on! thanks for listening telltale..great jokes with all posters and items etc

- minigames? boxing 1 was soo easy not sure it was worth it..the car game still runs horribly for me..not sure if its my system or what? but both added nothing to the game i thought

- young rat with tourettes = comedy gold

had lots of fun..well done telltale and bring on 202 :)
  • edited November 2007
    Talk to the bug a second time, preferibly after you've fixed Christmas Present.
    Tried that. Didn't seem to do anything.
    Is there something I'm missing?
  • edited November 2007
    I just talked to him before
    the exorcism
    twice (the second time being after I'd been out of Stinky's once), and the singer appeared after I initiated the second conversation.
  • edited November 2007
    Hero1 wrote: »
    okay just finished 201.. my thoughts

- gameplay wise i thought this was the best game telltale has produced.. it took me over 5 hours..didn't use the hint system.. it was fairly difficult and a great length

- i love flint paper's voice..perfect

- loved santas voice, the way he looked..just great character

- music, once again brilliant

- i officially cant stand the soda poppers..may they die a horrible death

- not as funny as 104..but still lots of laughs in this 1

- loved the multiple endings..storywise plotted out beautifully

- environments looked better and seemed bigger than season 1

- heaps of stuff to click on! thanks for listening telltale..great jokes with all posters and items etc

- minigames? boxing 1 was soo easy not sure it was worth it..the car game still runs horribly for me..not sure if its my system or what? but both added nothing to the game i thought

- young rat with tourettes = comedy gold

had lots of fun..well done telltale and bring on 202 :)

there are multiple endings?
  • edited November 2007
    Oh yeah, the elves were brilliant. Love their beady little eyes. Very true to original Sam & Max. Their voices were great too.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2007
    EMAN528 wrote: »
    there are multiple endings?

I think he meant the false endings where you thought the episode was going to wrap up, and then something got twisted up and revealed another act or another scene (though this might not be the exact thing Hero1 is referring to, the largest instance of this is after
    exorcising the demon and then realizing that that wasn't actually what you needed to do at all, opening another act of the game where you meet the spirits of Christmas
    ).
  • edited November 2007
    Just wanted to drop in and say that I loved the game too... Probably Telltale's best effort thus far, imo. The gameplay, the story, and the humor was just perfectly balanced, and like everyone's saying, the graphics look better than ever. And the music was as impressive as ever too... Never let that Emerson-Johnson go because he's amazing! :)

I'm gonna have to throw in a minor complain about the sound compression too, though... It's not awful, but it's still annoying, and at this point, it's just about the only thing keeping these games from being perfect. It's understandable if you guys can't do anything about it, but if the increase in download size is the only problem, I'll personally vote that the change is worth to make the game more professional.

By the way, is episode 2 already coming next month, or will there be a two-month wait like last season?
  • edited November 2007
    tabacco wrote: »
    (The soda poppers are 100% optional to talk to in 201, you know)

But it is required you throw at least 1 snowball at them.

Required.
  • edited November 2007
    Kefky wrote: »
    By the way, is episode 2 already coming next month, or will there be a two-month wait like last season?

Yeah the next one is out in January.
  • edited November 2007
    Yeah I meant I thought the episode was gonna end and it just kept going! :rolleyes:
  • edited November 2007
    Derwin wrote: »
    But it is required you throw at least 1 snowball at them.

Required.

:D:D:D:D:D
  • edited November 2007
    I'll only play the game on 24th december
Sign in to comment in this discussion.