Thoughts on 201

13»

Comments

• edited November 2007
    unsilviu wrote: »
    I'll only play the game on 24th december

You can wait that long without playing a new Sam & Max game?!
  • edited November 2007
    Maybe playing it on the 24th unlocks a different ending...
  • edited November 2007
    taumel wrote: »
    Maybe playing it on the 24th unlocks a different ending...

That would explain why the screen was all black for the final joke... but can TT do that with their games? I know it's possible, because I used to have Zoo Tycoon, and the game would do "special" things on Halloween and Christmas, but I don't know if the TT Tool is capable of that kind of stuff. Is it, Jake? (Hey! I got your name right this time!)
  • edited November 2007
    Zeek wrote: »
    That would explain why the screen was all black for the final joke... but can TT do that with their games? I know it's possible, because I used to have Zoo Tycoon, and the game would do "special" things on Halloween and Christmas, but I don't know if the TT Tool is capable of that kind of stuff. Is it, Jake? (Hey! I got your name right this time!)

You could always set your computer clock to the 24th and find out.
    I remember in Curse of Monkey Island I changed my computer clock just so I could hear the guy on the beach (forgot his name) wish you Happy New Year. :D
  • edited November 2007
    Tried it. It didnt work! :rolleyes:
  • edited November 2007
    Well, that kills that theory/rumor/assumption!
  • edited November 2007
    I really liked this episode I found a lot more funny and fun than 101 and loved the plot twist (two plot twists?) at the end. Great I just hope the rest of the Season mantains this quality!
  • edited November 2007
    Well, telling the time on a computer is a pretty tricky thing to do, but I'm sure with hours of programmer time and maybe some leased time on a supercomputer would allow us to crack that nut.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2007
    (also, there's no secret for when you play the episode on Christmas that I know of, but that would have been neat)
  • edited November 2007
    Dont worry Jake. Its neat enough already! :D
  • edited November 2007
    finished it. i liked it. it was all pretty entertaining. although i was a little dissappointed with the locations of the future and past sam and max
  • edited November 2007
    Marty wrote: »
    finished it. i liked it. it was all pretty entertaining. although i was a little dissappointed with the locations of the future and past sam and max

I was surprised there would be new locations..from what I remember the art department can only construct 2 and a half environments per episode.. it explains why there wasn't too much to see in the future..but atleast we got something
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2007
    Marty wrote: »
    i was a little dissappointed with the locations of the future and past sam and max

I was so excited that there was going to be a moment of actual meta time travel, where we get to see a past moment from a new perspective. And it was the true old office from last year, with no hole in the wall, no wak a rat, etc, etc, down to the old sax solos. Maybe I'm a sucker for weird meta time travel stuff. I loved that you've sort of
    stuck the lives of Jimmy, his wife, and his boxing glove in this weird horrible time loop, where nothing makes sense anymore, and he only has is boxing glove in the time between episodes 103 and 201 in his life (except when Sam and Max borrow it to knock out the president, and the entire world, in 104 and 106).
  • edited November 2007
    I couldn't agree more. I love a good time-travel story, and this brief stint worked out very well. And believe it or not, but in its own loopy predistined way it is perfectly time-travel consistent. I like to think that
    there are two boxing gloves, though: Jimmy's lucky glove which only exists between 103 and 201, and Max' lucky glove which exists at least as early as 101. If there's only one the paradox would be a lot more problematic.
  • edited November 2007
    Harald B wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more. I love a good time-travel story, and this brief stint worked out very well. And believe it or not, but in its own loopy predistined way it is perfectly time-travel consistent. I like to think that
    there are two boxing gloves, though: Jimmy's lucky glove which only exists between 103 and 201, and Max' lucky glove which exists at least as early as 101. If there's only one the paradox would be a lot more problematic.

They could have
    gotten the other one back from the police impound
    finally.
  • edited November 2007
    Zeek wrote: »
    They could have
    gotten the other one back from the police impound
    finally.

No, I thought that was the darts that were locked up...?
  • edited November 2007
    Yeah the boxing glove thing does make your head hurt IF you think about it too much :)

What I also liked is that you can't leave the North Pole until you've solved some puzzles there. Prevents you from wondering aimlessly around in the neighbourhood looking for help/items which aren't there :D

Did anybody EVER find a christmas gift Bosco wanted btw?
  • edited November 2007
    When playing for the second time I was hoping to
    use the elf tears on the Salvia Hispanica Brady Culture head
    , only to find that
    I couldn't go to the office with the elf tears
    :(.
    I sent a couple of gifts to Bosco hoping that I could keep them after he rejected them, but no such luck. I think the only one I didn't try was the footbath.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2007
    When playing for the second time I was hoping to
    use the elf tears on the Salvia Hispanica Brady Culture head
    , only to find that
    I couldn't go to the office with the elf tears
    :(.

That might be my fault. I pointed out that the elf tears couldn't be used on
    Hubert in the past
    and it was too late for them to add it, so they took the watering can out of the inventory after you used it. Sorry. :(
  • edited November 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    That might be my fault. I pointed out that the elf tears couldn't be used on
    Hubert in the past
    and it was too late for them to add it, so they took the watering can out of the inventory after you used it. Sorry. :(
    You mean, it would actually have worked? Aw...
  • edited November 2007
    Look on the bright side, at least now we can expect some interesting Chia Pet jokes now in the office. :D
  • edited November 2007
    I sent a couple of gifts to Bosco hoping that I could keep them after he rejected them, but no such luck.

Yep a clear case of red-herrings, lots of them in the gift-machine btw :) I tried sending Bosco the
    happy pills
    so I could give them to Jimmy. Didn't work.

Even tried sending him two packages, one ticking, hoping the 1st one would keep him busy enough so I could grab the 2nd one. Nope.

Or sending stuff to Sybil in the hope I could get it out of her (slightly moved) mailbox since she wasn't in her office.

Way to complex thinking it turns out. I just tried to solve the Jimmy puzzle to early :D
  • edited November 2007
    You mean, it would actually have worked? Aw...

I read Emily's post as that she pointed out that when when you use the watering can on Hubert it didn't do anything.
  • edited November 2007
    I tried sending the Maoi head to Cybill, thinking her love of giant stone heads would create some sort of love triangle between her, Abe and the head. Guess I overthought that one! :rolleyes:
  • edited November 2007
    I read Emily's post as that she pointed out that when when you use the watering can on Hubert it didn't do anything.

I think Harald was talking about the Brady Culture plant.
  • edited November 2007
    Bravo. This season is off to a great start. Writing-wise I think the prize still has to go to Abe Lincoln Must Die, but gameplay-wise Ice Station Santa is the winner. Also, I would say that the general writing has improved, in terms of dialogue and edginess and all that. (Though I'm not a big fan of the sudden increase in political commentary, but maybe that's just me.)

Something about the gameplay in this one just felt so right. Just as good as any old-school adventure game. I'm not sure why. Maybe it was the fact that you couldn't drive back home at first, or the far-out location, or the overwhelming amount of potential puzzle items that were presented right from the start of the game. Whatever it was, it really worked.

Finally, of all the funny parts in the game, I think I laughed hardest at Torture Me Elmer's comments during the driving game. "I'm an American citizen, I know my rights! Not the corkscrew! Please kill me!"
  • edited November 2007
    I liked the "OH GOD!! What did you do to my leg?!" bit from that pool.

Who did the Rag Doll animation on those dolls? I'm just curious as to who to give kudo bonuses to.:D
  • edited November 2007
    I've played through twice now and I must say I'm very impressed. The jokes are great, I love how they have become a shade darker since last season and the way Sam and Max are portraited now. In last season, I felt them more as somewhat easily distracted, violent goodguys, now however they seem like they are freelance-policing primary for fun, fighting and getting revenge, while saving the world/christmas is just a usefull coincidence coming with the job.

As for the gameplay, it has also improved with leaps since last season. The hint-system works spot-on and the puzzles are hard enough for me at the moment. The puzzles seem also more quirky and inventive. (especialy the Demonsong puzzle, which reminded me of the lovepoem in the Great Cow Race). The minigames are great, they not to hard, but still quite challenging and they give you a nice break now and then.

Graphicly there has been a nice improvement. The game can now be played in my monitor-resolution, which is good cause I hate those black edges around some games. The animation seems more fluid and natural and Bosco's and Stinky's pacing behind the counter makes them seem more lifelike.
    Also Jared did a Bang-up job with the music, I can't wait for more mp3's and the soundtrack.

Lastly I would like to make some suggestions for new episodes and seasons. Firstly it would have been nice to replay some of the minigames, boxing in particular. On that thought, it might have been nice to be able to win something useless with Whack da Rats.
    Secondly Sam does not seem to enjoy running a lot, he makes a grimace like he has been poked with a cattleprod. So either let him express that he doesn't like it( with a minor grunt or maybe some complaining) or make him look a bit more happy while running.
    Lastly it would be nice to have some more randomness in the game, to increase the replay. For instance the second time I played the game I got exactly the same questions in the quiz in the same order. Also the Four Horsemen of the Apocalyspe action figures are always in the same place. I think it would be nice to have things like this a bit more randomized without changing the context of the puzzle. So instead of always winning the Horseman of War with boxing I would win a random horseman every time I play. The same thing aplies to the quiz, make Stinky ask the questions in a random order. Even if she would ask the same question twice in a row, it would not spoil the context as it would make Stinky seem al the more arrogant.
  • edited November 2007
    you're idea with having the trivia questions be displayed randomly is nice. that way you would probably see a lot more of these.
    the horsemen are placed in their specific locations on purpose though. having war in the diner just wouldn't fit..
  • edited November 2007
    wisp wrote: »
    the horsemen are placed in their specific locations on purpose though. having war in the diner just wouldn't fit..

Perhaps so, but pestilence which is there at the moment fits just as much. If any of the Horsemen fit it would be Famine, because Stinky is out of food or death because if you would eat the food at Stinky's you would die of food poisoning.
  • edited November 2007
    Pestilence fits the diner pretty well, but I think that one in particular has a more important reason to be there...

Also, while we're posting random thoughts on 201, did "Flint Paper's Adventures" recounted in the intro remind anyone of "Luigi's Adventures" from Paper Mario 2 on Gamecube? The formula of the joke was really similar. :)
  • edited November 2007
    I completed it some days ago and it was a very good episode! Excellent story... love the intro! I don't think I can mention anything that hasn't been said in this thread! Looking forward for 202 :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.