Sam's Nose

What is the white mark on Sam's nose? It looks like chalk.

Comments

• ProfanityProfanity Banned
    edited April 2013
    A reflection, I guess?
  • edited April 2013
    It's leftovers from a white doggy biscuit.
  • edited April 2013
    I'm thinking he likes to party....
  • edited April 2013
    Epic Kiwi wrote: »
    It's leftovers from a white doggy biscuit.

I think you meant an Ice Cream pop.. or a popsicle.. his love for snacks on a stick has been well documented.
  • edited April 2013
    It's supposed to be a cartoonish shine, to show that his nose is shiny.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2013
    It's painted on instead of being on a reflection map but its a shine.
  • edited April 2013
    Jake wrote: »
    It's painted on instead of being on a reflection map but its a shine.

Hmmm. It kinda looks like an afterthought.
  • edited April 2013
    He always has it when drawn. Even when it doesn't logically make sense, it just "looks right".

It's like how Mickey Mouse's Ears always point toward the viewer.

Fun Comparison Time!
    I got curious if the old model's nose ever just sat there like a lump of coal, and went looking for pictures.
    Seeing just how much has changed is actually really surprising. He obviously looked different in the trailer, but dang. Sam's come a far way since season one.

Check it out:

56sZ2eA.jpg?1 N6tTWS5.jpg?1

For sake of comparison, here's Sam as drawn:
    u61DbbN.jpg?1
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, Sam's nose and hat shines maybe should have probably been actual shines instead of painted on, but it was an experiment in making sure he was fully actually hand painted. The guys looked at how Steve paints Sam in comic and box covers and applied that style to the game art.

And yeah the new Sam model is so good compared to the old one! He's all puffy and boxy in the old one.
  • edited April 2013
    Yeah, Sam's nose and hat shines maybe should have probably been actual shines instead of painted on, but it was an experiment in making sure he was fully actually hand painted. The guys looked at how Steve paints Sam in comic and box covers and applied that style to the game art.

And yeah the new Sam model is so good compared to the old one! He's all puffy and boxy in the old one.

You know, I re-read "Sam & Max: The Big Sleep" on this site just yesterday, and despite me having always read Sam's dialogue in his voice from the 90s cartoon before, I totally heard Nowlin's voice in it this time. Granted that could just be because I've been playing PN2, but I've always had a lot of trouble hearing TTG Sam's voice in the comics, since the show was stylistically much closer to Mr. Purcell's art. This spiffy new model is working wonders for fixing that :D
  • edited April 2013
    So what about the brown/see-through shine or whatever that is on Sam's eyes? Did it just look too weird in 3D?
    edited April 2013
    You mean the quotation mark eyes? I think it would be too weird.
  • edited April 2013
    That's okay because sam doesn't always have quotation mark eyes, especially in Steve's later art.

I love their new painterly look.
  • edited April 2013
    You mean the quotation mark eyes? I think it would be too weird.

Might be worth trying as a shine effect that doesn't go lighter than brown.

I think the zig-zag shine painted onto his hat is awesome, and it'd be interesting to see that interpreted as a dynamic shine map
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited April 2013
    It's called a highlight. ;)
  • edited April 2013
    I want to see more comparisons.

1. Black and White Purcell Drawing
    2. Colored Purcell Drawing
    3. Hit the Road
    4 Unreleased "Freelance Police" Game
    5. Telltale Season 1
    6. The Devil's Playhouse
    7. Poker Night 2

And let's not forget that Max has been updated as well. We could also look at his comparisons.
  • edited April 2013
    Ryu-Chan wrote: »
    And let's not forget that Max has been updated as well. We could also look at his comparisons.

I have to admit, aside from colors (and that may just be because of The Inventory's lighting in this game) I haven't noticed much difference in Max's model so I'd love to see a comparison. I do remember him getting a big model update in The Devil's Playhouse though.

I love the new Sam. From the pointy shoulders to the painted highlights, he looks the closest to Purcell's drawings that Telltale's ever gotten him.
  • edited April 2013
    Ryu-Chan wrote: »
    I want to see more comparisons.

1. Black and White Purcell Drawing
    2. Colored Purcell Drawing
    3. Hit the Road
    4 Unreleased "Freelance Police" Game
    5. Telltale Season 1
    6. The Devil's Playhouse
    7. Poker Night 2

Ditching class, so I had the time to dig all these up. (I'm a bad student, kids; don't follow my example.)

For Purcell's art, I tried to find drawings in his current style, since Sam and Max look dramatically different than they did in the earlier comics (especially Sam). I also threw in the cartoon from the 90s and made sure Max was in every picture so we can compare him too.

1. Black & White Purcell Drawing:
    sam-max-statues-on-the-way-20080201045121205-000.jpg

2. Colored Purcell drawing:
    SamAndMax_Complete_early.jpg

3. Hit the Road:
    sam-and-max.jpg

4. The Adventures of Sam & Max: Freelance Police:
    SamMaxStillcap1.jpg

5. Unreleased "Freelance Police" Game:
    sam_790screen002.jpg

6. Sam & Max Save the World / Sam & Max Beyond and Space:
    633638355614347764.jpg

7. Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse:
    sm301_sam_and_max.jpg

8. Poker Night 2:
    poker-night-2-sam-max_1024.0_cinema_640.0.jpg
  • edited April 2013
    gromit20409.jpg
    edited April 2013
    Max is actually Season 3 Max. He didn't get touched. He may have had his texture updated, like Skunkape and Winslow, but his actual shape is identical to Devil's Playhouse Max.

For Sam we're looking at stuff like:

SM_NewYear.jpg

and

SM_25.jpg
  • edited April 2013
    I gotta say I love the SnM deck. Who drew it?
  • edited April 2013
    sigh... I want a new S&M game so bad I could cry...
    edited April 2013
    crfh wrote: »
    I gotta say I love the SnM deck. Who drew it?

Derek Stratton, a concept artist here.
  • edited April 2013
    If Max's texture got 'updated', I don't see why that was to make his nose really dark rather than pink
  • SydSyd
    edited April 2013
    Shyguy wrote: »
    If Max's texture got 'updated', I don't see why that was to make his nose really dark rather than pink

Yeah, I was going to ask about that. The lighting might be making it look worse than it is, but Max's nose looks nearly black now.
  • edited April 2013
    I'm assuming Max's black nose was to match the comics, like Sam's suit. But it's still pink in all the comparisons...
  • edited April 2013
    Personally I thought Max's nose in Poker Night 2 was just some kind of glitch caused by the seat he's in and the lighting.

Personally if S&M Season 4 does come after TWD 2 or if it comes I hope for Sam's normal model with his blue suit. I just like his blue suit better than the gray suit.
  • edited April 2013
    At first, Sam's new model looked very noticeable and 'weird' to me, but I've grown to love it. Props!
  • edited August 2013
    Anyone else think the white spot on Sam's nose in the new Poker Night 2 makes it look like he's been sniffing cocaine?
  • edited August 2013
    Yes. Because there's another thread about it in this forum.
  • edited August 2013
    Good discussion. I realized it was a shine, but was trying to come up with a clever way to discuss the painted on style which makes it look like he's gotten a smudge of something white on his nose.

I'm a huge fan of Sam & Max, but had never paid too close attention to any hand-drawn images of Sam.
  • edited August 2013
    its a reflection
  • Yes. They're a bunch of junkies, you know.

Max had a few lines of ketamine, that's why he's not sure what game he's playing.
    The Heavy is a major heroin junkie.
    Strong Bad drank a whole bottle of soy sauce, and now he thinks he's flying the table.
    Tycho had a crafty joint before the game started.
    Winslow has scoffing ecstasy pills throughout the tournament to stay awake and entertained.
    Brock Samson has been hitting the steroids pretty hard.
    Ash is tripping balls on acid.
    GLaDOS is playing binaural beats in her head nonstop.
    And Claptrap has been huffing WD40.

• I'm sorry, that's not cocaine, that's just powdered sugar. But it gets him really really really high anyway.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.