What do you think of the animated series?

edited March 2009 in Sam & Max
This is what I think:
01 "The Thing That Wouldn't Stop It"
Nice.

02 "The Second Show Ever"
So and so

03 "Max's Big Day"
Bah. Ugly.

04 "Bad Day on the Moon"
Nice. The book is better I think.

05 "They Came From Down There"
Nice.

06 "The Friend for Life"
I hate him. But the episode is nice.

07 "The Dysfunction of the Gods"
Cool.

08 "Big Trouble at the Earth's Core"
Cool.

09 "A Glitch in Time"
One of my favourite.

10 "That Darn Gator"
Cool.

11 "We Drop at Dawn"
Cool... the first half. Boring afterward.

12 "Christmas Bloody Christmas"
Nice.

13 "It's Dangly Deever Time"
So and so.

14 "Aaiiieee Robot"
Nice.

15 "The Glazed McGuffin Affair"
Very nice.

16 "The Tell Tale Tail"
So and so.

17 "The Trouble with Gary"
Cool.

18 "Tonight We Love"
One of my favourite.

19 "The Invaders"
So and so.

20 "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang"
The commissioner daughter? WOW! Good episode.

21 "Little Bigfoot"
It would the nice ending a part... all the work for nothing.

22 "Fools Die on Friday"
I still hate him, but once again nice episode.

23 "Sam & Max vs. the Uglions"
The best one imo.

24 "The Final Episode"
Great.

I didn't explained much why... but we can speak, can't we?

Comments

• edited April 2008
    I've gotta admit, that while the TV series had limitations due to the Saturday Morning bit, it is still a hilarious, edgy show.

The first time I saw it (when it was on TV) I wasn't a huge fan, as it wasn't what I was expecting (the only Sam and Max I knew was the Lucas Arts game). But after reading the comics and getting more deeply involved with the series, the TV show really surprised me. I wish we could have seen a second season, as they really got into their stride with the later episodes.
  • edited April 2008
    I love the Freelance Police cartoon for many reasons, but I sympathize with the Sam & Max fans who were put off by it. If I'd been a S&M fan during the show's production, I think I'd be worried that it would eternalize Sam and Max as TV show kid's characters and bring a halt to the more adult games. Now I'm in 2008 and I can appreciate the show with the pleasant knowledge that TellTale is churning out quality episodes by the bucketful.

The animation itself is really dynamic, something not even the 3D games can really achieve, and it's fun to see our favorite unorthodox lawbreaker/enforcers with so much movement. Each episode is fun to watch and rewatch for the witty dialogue, which has always been the best part of all things S&M.

I want to write more, but in all honesty I haven't seen all the episodes yet - a fact I plan to change ASAP.

...Wait, I sense an opinion I don't quite agree with and which is therefore wrong. You didn't like Max's Big Day? Not even the pelt of piety? D:
  • edited April 2008
    I didn't really like it. It's not true Sam & Max to me.
  • edited April 2008
    @ShaggE
    What about some explanation, I am curious to understand why you think so.

@nhaingen
    Max big day didn't feel right to me. In the comic we never see Sam or Max deform so much, they are capable of incredible things but using Max as parachute or Sam as jacket... It was out of the settings.
  • OMAOMA
    edited April 2008
    I think the TV series are great so far (I still haven't seen all episodes), but I think Shout should have included subtitles in its DVD release. Not even translations, just the subtitles of the original English version. That would be great both for deaf people and non-English-native people, since some sentences are a bit hard to understand. I can't see why it doesn't include any subtitles. Any decent commercial DVD release has subtitles in a ton of languages. It can't be that expensive to hire some subtitling services, specially for a DVD set that is probably going to sell quite well, since S&M are quite popular. Having subtitles for several languages would also increase sales for them, I think. But even just the English subtitles would be a lot better than nothing.

I'm quite disappointed about this new release for that reason. I mean, it's great that they've rescued all the episodes of the animated series with perfect image and sound quality, but not having any subtitles at all in this release really detracts a lot from what is an otherwise excellent DVD set.
  • edited April 2008
    It's not the same as any other S/M stuff, but then it probably was designed to be so. I still think it's great.
  • edited April 2008
    i like it...even if it's somewhat different, but the games aren't totally like the comics either.
  • edited April 2008
    ezzetabi wrote: »
    @ShaggE
    What about some explanation, I am curious to understand why you think so.

Well, the watered-down tone kind of nags at me, for one. Remember Toxic Crusaders and Tales From The Cryptkeeper? Two cartoons made from franchises that were clearly intended for adults, and the quality suffered because of it. (Especially with Toxic Crusaders... what the hell was Troma thinking?)

Second, it just wasn't all that funny. Calling an episode "The Second Show Ever" is probably the only thing about it that made me truly laugh.

Third, and I know this is a nitpick, but the voices were AWFUL. Just plain bad.
  • edited April 2008

I know this is a matter of personal opinion, but I really liked the voices. Max had a degree of insanity to him that I thought was really fitting, and Sam had a lot more emotion. I still prefer his dryer, more sarcastic voices, though.

On another note I can't read any of Purcell's comics without hearing Hit The Road's Max (Nick Jameson) in my head. All 3 of Max's voices have their virtues, if the current William Kasten is my favorite.
  • edited April 2008
    mine just arrived and I love it <3
  • edited April 2008
    I love it. While it doesn't have all the over the top violence and mayhem of some of the comics that I've come to love, it's still great fun and, imo, still true to the nature of Sam & Max.
    -Amazing! I had no idea my skull was threaded for easy access!

-Quick, press down on the medulla oblongata! Five bucks says he smells burnt toast!"
  • edited April 2008
    ShaggE wrote: »
    Max really wasn't that bad. Don't how I could ever stand Sam, though.
  • edited April 2008
    I really like the Glazed McGuffin episode.

"I'm sure our methods of persuasion will have him seeing things our way."
    "Or not seeing things at all!"

(At work; can't get exact quote.)
  • edited April 2008
    oh yes, that was nice.
  • edited April 2008
    I too would have liked subtitles.

Still, I can't complain too much. Despite the "watered down" tone of the show, I still found myself rewinding part of the show just to see if he really did say what I thought he just said. And, yes, most of the time he did.
  • edited April 2008
    Everyone moans about this "watered down" thing... But I really do not understand why, probably because I am not a native speaker... :S

What do you feel missing?
  • edited April 2008
    Missing? Well, the violence, mild expletives, and edginess (though they definitely got away with a LOT more than any cartoon could today, that's for sure.)

Also, while I felt a lot of it retained the Sam & Max vibe, other parts felt atypically cartoony and kiddish.
  • edited April 2008
    I now understand the point about violence. In the cartoon we never see something like Sam and Max catch a pick pocketer, recover the stolen bag and a angry crowd hit the thief. During the chase they shoot and yell all the time.
    Even in `Bad day on the moon' the scene where they threaten the mouse is different.

But can you tell me more about the edginess, please?
  • edited April 2008
    there were parts when I just could'nt stop laughing.
    the animated series was really funny. XD
    I liked how it just went swoosh from here to there.

there was this scene when they both were in a plane with army suits and beards... XD
    lol bearded max makes my day.
    also there was this scene with the huge robo-max, and they came to japan, and there was this sign: "you must be this high to attack tokyo".
    XDXD lol that cracked me up little buddy. XD
  • mremre
    edited April 2008
    Even though the quality varies quite heavily between episodes, I must say that there are a couple with a lot more mature setting than you'd expect in a morning kids' cartoon. Take my favorite episode "Christmas Bloody Christmas" for instance - an episode about a prison riot! Thay even do a joke about dropping the soap in the shower. :eek:
  • edited April 2008
    I felt we missed out when the execs stopped them from having max sniff a soiled mattress ;)
  • edited April 2008
    I have to say that the cartoon is my favorite incarnation of the Freelance Police. Yes, it was watered down a bit, but the censorship limitations made the writers have to resort to even stranger methods of violence that often resulted in being even funnier. I'm fairly sure even Steve Purcell mentioned once that he thought it made Sam & Max funnier when they weren't allowed to pull out weapons like handguns, but they could use weapons that were so over the top as to be considered silly, like bazookas. Plus the secondary characters like the G.E.E.K. and Lorne were hysterical (always wondered why Flint never showed up). And I've got to say that the cartoon voices, to me, are the best voices for the characters. I always hear those voices in my head whenever I read the comics.
  • edited April 2008
    (always wondered why Flint never showed up).

Maybe because he mostly drinks scotch, pummels thugs and not much else. Hardly a good role model for impressionable kids.

I think...
  • edited April 2008
    RobD wrote: »
    Maybe because he mostly drinks scotch, pummels thugs and not much else. Hardly a good role model for impressionable kids.

I think...

Flint could easily have been characterized as the sort of by-the-book cartoon detective character that appeared in Saturday morning cartoons at the time. After all, he was a spoof of by-the-book comic book detectives to begin with!
  • edited April 2008
    Flint could easily have been characterized as the sort of by-the-book cartoon detective character that appeared in Saturday morning cartoons at the time. After all, he was a spoof of by-the-book comic book detectives to begin with!

I thought it was a spoof of more film noir detective rather than comic books. A lot darker and gritty.
  • edited April 2008
    RobD wrote: »
    I thought it was a spoof of more film noir detective rather than comic books. A lot darker and gritty.

They sort of go hand-in-hand. There are a lot of old dark and gritty detective comics that are based off of that sort of movie.
  • edited April 2008
    I think the eppisodes were far too short, not giving enough time to really get into the story before it ended, and often causing what seems to me like a 'plot jump' where things happen that arent explained but should be.

Also they were watered down, I mean I loved them for the wackyness, but when I started reading Surfing the Highway and started playing the TT games, it was such a (wonderful) shock to see the more mature plots and characters. The games and comics seem a lot more serious (if that's the proper word to describe these loveable loonatics) than the series did. Granted a lot of this WAS due to the censors placed on kids TV (though, as stated above, tehy got away with a LOT more than coudl be done today)

I do think Flint shoudl have amde a cameo though, perhaps just in-passing, so nobody would see him doing his 3 favorite things (pummeling, drinking, and seducing women (though thel latter I have to wonder how good he is at, despite all hsi big talk he clearly doesnt have a GF...))

I wish TT'd make a combo with surfing hte highway, limited edition hardback, and the freelance police TV series... I'd snap that up near=instantly!
  • edited January 2009
    i love all the episodes i own the dvd as soon as it came out, and when it was on fox i would cry if i missed a episode
  • edited January 2009
    I find the cartoons to be kind of corny for my tastes. I still watch them, and I really do enjoy them, but I cringe sometimes.

I've managed to reduce this by watching some of the old Zelda cartoon, which was also corny, but wasn't particularly well written. I'm not sure how this helped, but it did.

I wonder, is Ruth (Sam's grandmother) a character specifically created for the show? Sam mentions her in other media, and I wouldn't mind seeing her again. She was hardcore.
  • edited January 2009
    Frankly i love it.
  • edited January 2009
    I loved the animated series.
  • edited January 2009
    Wow, somebody misses again the fact that the person basically bumped a 9-month old topic. This is, what, the third time this has happened?

Not with you, though, 2dsgurl, with other people.
  • edited January 2009
    Personally, I loved the animated series. I still watch episodes sometimes. I couldn't choose which I like better, if I had to pick between the games and the TV show. (Haven't got my comic yet, but it's on the way).
    I think one of the reasons I really love the show is BECAUSE of their cartoony-ness. Max's "I never dreamed we could have so much fun and still be suitable for young viewers" line was one of my favorites.
    Don't get me wrong, the games are great. Who doesn't love a good mature joke every now and then? But it's nice to see that there's still a way to make cartoons funny without making them inappropriate, right?
    On the topic of voices:
    I'm not sure how I felt about Sam's voice. I think I like his Hit the Road voice the best. The cartoon voice is over the top and doesn't really fit him, while the voice used in Season One and Two is TOO calm and soft. The Hit the Road voice was balanced right in-between.
    Max's voice was good. I LIKE Max's voice. Actually, my step-brother says he can't tell the difference between Max's voice in the TV show and Max's voice in Season One and Two.
  • edited February 2009
    Bumping a month-old topic to say that I didn't even know there was an animated TV series until just half an hour ago. I ordered it immediately! :D
  • edited February 2009
    I really do love the TV series but I feel like we are due for a more mature version. Us S&M fans are getting older now. :P
  • edited March 2009
    Max had a degree of insanity to him that I thought was really fitting, and Sam had a lot more emotion. I still prefer his dryer, more sarcastic voices, though.

I think Sam is funny in either way. He is more emotional in the comics and tv series, and more calm and mature in the Telltale Games. Either way is good enough for me:)
  • edited March 2009
    I've always loved cartoons, so it's not hard for me to admit that I loved the animated series. :D

I have to agree the shortness of episodes, though. It really went to jumping from place to place, not giving the story enough time to progress.

It was a good cartoon, though. Shame it didn't last any longer. D: (I'm glad that I bought the DVD collection, at least! )
  • ArtArt
    edited March 2009
    Christmas, Bloody Christmas is my favorite.:)
  • ArtArt
    edited March 2009
    Really, the whole series is awesome.:)
  • edited March 2009
    I love the cartoon series! I wish they'd consider doing another one.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.