Should Season 3 reset or continue the S&M Universe?

13»

Comments

• edited April 2008
    Heresy! Big hats are always pure awesome. :p
  • edited April 2008
    boo wrote: »
    I think I'm the only one who doesn't care why Superball was in S&M's office.
    No, you're definitely not. I don't care, either.
  • edited April 2008
    ...because you know?
  • edited April 2008
    wisp wrote: »
    ...because you know?
    Um... sure.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    People will be shocked when in Season Three, Superball transforms into Commander Blip.
  • edited April 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    People will be shocked when in Season Three, Superball transforms into Commander Blip.
    Well, so much for shocking me. :(

This does remind me of a huge problem, though...resetting would mean that Superball goes away!:eek:
  • edited April 2008
    I feel like I'm in a Holiday Inn Express for coming up with this idea while in the shower.

Sybil and Abe on a random desert road riding the possed Desoto. They look around rather confused. They question where they are going. Desoto gets pissed, headlights turn red, and they zoom off to places unknown!

Meanwhile, back in NYC, Sam & Max are back from their yearly grocery shopping trip! As they are walking down the street....

Sam: Okay, Max, let's double check our supplies so we don't have to make two trips this year, since this is the only day of the year that restraining order can be waived. What's our haul?
    Max: Jumbo industrial size bag of pork rines... Four wheels of cheese that have been rotated and balanced... An assorted sample package of Glazed MacGuffins... Double-dipped chocolate covered sugar fudge bombs... and five gallons of concentraited caffinated orange &^%#!
    Sam: Remind me to pay a visit to the FCC Hell Branch and get that list changed back.

Phone rings. They bolt for the office door from the street dropping their groceries for the rats to claim. A physical fight over the phone ensues, Sam answers it as usual.

Sam: Hello? Yes, commissioner? *cue ominous music* No.... no!... You're lying!... Sweet mother of all things holy and glorified by the naive and obsessive! We'll take the case! *goes to hang up the phone but stops halfway to bring it back to his ear* Uhm, just how exactly are we going to go after the perp anyway? Uh huh... okay... Got it.. *hangs up*

Max: Judging from your more-than-usual excited tone and the ominous music playing in the background, is it safe to assume that we have a case that involves defying death like a rebelous 80's teenager?

Sam: Indeed, Max. It seems that Sybil and Linclon have been kidnapped on their Honeymoon.

Max: *disappointed* Awww. That doesn't sound fun..

Sam: It gets worse, little buddy. They were kidnapped... by our car!

Max: Our beloved Desoto who mysteriously died while we were abducted by time-traveling mariachies that we released from the netherworld of Hades as an evil and twisted version of its former self?

Sam: Good use of exposition.

Max: And that's bad why?

Sam: Oridnarily, I would say that it is because they are our friends and we have an obligation to save them, but it's mostly because our badges are locked in the glove compartment and the commissioner says we are due to renew them in the next five to six months or we end up losing our job titles as Freelance Police.

Max: But... that means...

Sam: You guess it. No more guns.

End scene with Max doing a shot for shot Darth Vader NOOOOOOOO! featuring all the knick-knacks in the office flying about as only the High Priest of the Ocean Chimps could get away with.
  • edited April 2008
    I dunno... I was thinking a lot about this, in season 2 there were too many permanent changes to the street where the office is located... I mean the rubble, Sybil's and the huge crack aren't going to go away by themselves? Not sure what Telltale was thinking there.(I'm not bashing but I very much disagree)
    I loved that scummy feel in Hit the Road though so thats definitely how I would like to see it.
    As far as characters, I would definitely want to see more Bosco, maybe more of Superball(his character is not yet exhausted, we haven't actually seen him in 205, even though we know he was up in the office), perhaps Stinky(be sure to stick some more cool tunes in his jukebox), Sybil(maybe, but less important)...
    I would like to see a new character at the other end of the street, where there was a boarded up shop behind Sybil's.
    As far as the car goes, I'm file with a DeSoto, with or without the roof, as long as its a DeSoto.
    Thats about all, I'd like to see what Telltale comes up with, and SOON!!!
  • edited April 2008
    We simply do not have enough scum in the games.

Telltale, please, add more scum. We love scum.

(That was actually not sarcastic.)
  • edited April 2008
    mish wrote: »
    We simply do not have enough scum in the games.

Telltale, please, add more scum. We love scum.

(That was actually not sarcastic.)
    And when they're done with the scum, they can put in some scumm.
  • edited April 2008
    It's real important to clean up a lot of the things taking place and perhaps tie up a lot of loose ends that aren't that important. Don't reset but the office and surrounding settings could use a serious clean up to get the clutter out of there. Perhaps with a few quick side conversations and comments a lot of the loose ends could be tied up (for example the demon car, or why the rubble's gone in the street), and it would allow for a real fresh start.
  • edited April 2008
    Or the new car can be a Ferrari, just like in the comic! Just for one season of course.

Nice one Zeek, a little strange earing Max speaking that way... But nice.
  • edited April 2008
    It's hard to figure out Max's speach quirks even when you're in the shower. You would think being naked helps, but it doesn't.
  • edited April 2008
    your little story was interesting...and while i was thinking about it i got another idea. did the episodes so far have cutscenes that did not involve sam&max or are part of the current location? i can't remember any..okay, that doen't mean much, but still...there could be a scene of sybil and abe in the demon car without being an actual part of the story. you could have max complaining why they have to walk to their next case and then cut to the desoto. it's just an example, but i would really like a few new perspectives in the next season. of course showing a location that isn't a location you can actually interact with might be considered a waste of resources..
  • edited April 2008
    wisp wrote: »
    your little story was interesting...and while i was thinking about it i got another idea. did the episodes so far have cutscenes that did not involve sam&max or are part of the current location? i can't remember any..
    104, the Linclon Memorial
  • edited April 2008
    @wisp: 101, Brady Culture's little bits after Sam and Max knock out each Soda Popper
  • edited April 2008
    okayokay...there are a few occasions...:o...but only a few and usually they are directly related to the ongoing main plot. wouldn't it be nice to have some subplut narration that way?
  • edited April 2008
    a la Day of the Tenticle where the game would be inturrupted with news updates?
  • edited April 2008
    Zeek wrote: »
    a la Day of the Tenticle where the game would be inturrupted with news updates?

Or 104 where they have the election updates? ;):p
  • edited April 2008
    r00tb33r wrote: »
    I dunno... I was thinking a lot about this, in season 2 there were too many permanent changes to the street where the office is located... I mean the rubble, Sybil's and the huge crack aren't going to go away by themselves? Not sure what Telltale was thinking there.(I'm not bashing but I very much disagree)
    I loved that scummy feel in Hit the Road though so thats definitely how I would like to see it.
    As far as characters, I would definitely want to see more Bosco, maybe more of Superball(his character is not yet exhausted, we haven't actually seen him in 205, even though we know he was up in the office), perhaps Stinky(be sure to stick some more cool tunes in his jukebox), Sybil(maybe, but less important)...
    I would like to see a new character at the other end of the street, where there was a boarded up shop behind Sybil's.
    As far as the car goes, I'm file with a DeSoto, with or without the roof, as long as its a DeSoto.
    Thats about all, I'd like to see what Telltale comes up with, and SOON!!!

Like in the real world :) stuff can be fixed, but imo the street needs to be and look more crazy like in the original game :) and they are on the right patch imo :) it has to be messy, and not so clean and neat
  • edited April 2008
    I liked the trend in season 2 of having the "main location" not being the street. Wouldn't mind if they stayed away from it altogether for Season 3, maybe having the whole season take place in Europe, or Space, or something.
  • edited April 2008
    Now, let's see here... Sam & Max aren't known for their "continuity", rather for their extreme sillyness and over-the-top absurdity.

I like the way season 1 kinda carried on to season 2, thus making it an extremely huge game. Every episode had a story which arched over the entire season, which arched over the 11 episodes.

Butt!

I do believe that it should kinda reset, you know? Make the 3rd season the start of a new game.

There are some discardable characters - Sybil and Lincoln could and should go. Keeping a dead president's severed stone head around does have a limited joke potential.

I don't see any reason to carry COPS over either. Nor Hugh Bliss, Brady Culture or Leonard.

In fact, apart from Bosco, Timmy and Jimmy and maybe Stinky, I don't see why any character should go over to the new season.

Bosco is now cured of his paranoia, and a convenience store is always convenient, even if it is inconvenient(ce).

Timmy and Jimmy, well... rats always were present in Sam & Max's universe, and they're just too #!*%ing funny to throw away.

Stinky? Well, a diner does have some possibilities, but I guess it's arbitrary anyways.

As for Satan & Santa... they could make an appearance, but they shouldn't be overdone.

All in all, I think some sort of reset would be a good idea. Lets the creators come up eith fresh ideas and it increases possibilities, whatever they may be.

Just my opinion.

Cheers!
  • edited April 2008
    Like as the past comments say, the game world should say the same but in one way it would get massive and confusing.
    In overall, if you keep somethings smaller noticed such as sybils marrage then it won't go mad.
  • edited April 2008
    I'd like to see things start off on a clean slate again, with the neighborhood repaired, Sam & Max back in their office next door to Flint Paper, Sybill with her endless changing jobs, Bosco with his paranoia. Certainly, some things should stay, like Stinky's Diner (Old Man & Girl Stinky make a hilarious duo), but Sam & Max has always worked best as one of those series in which everything goes right back to normal after each adventure. Or what counts for normal in their world.
  • edited April 2008
    I always thought the only thing that counted for normal would be The Geek, Sam & Max's girl companion who lives in the Sub-Basement of Solitude in the short-lived Animated Series.
  • edited April 2008
    As somone said above soemwhere, I like the idea of them going on the road with a "mobile office" travel trailer hooked to the desoto. (though on a related note, I still ahvn't figured out where teh duo sleeps...tehy seem to be in the office 24/7...)

EDIT:
    I also like the idea of sybil and abe eloping, perhaps they travel to LA (or someplace WAY WAY WAY off) and the possessed desoto returns without them! That way they'd be out ofthe picture for a season or so. I like sybil and want to see mroe of her, but she is getting kinda stale... a season or two without her would give the writers time to get together soem fresh material.
  • edited April 2008
    Ashton wrote: »
    As somone said above soemwhere, I like the idea of them going on the road with a "mobile office" travel trailer hooked to the desoto. (though on a related note, I still ahvn't figured out where teh duo sleeps...tehy seem to be in the office 24/7...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owN6A18TKrA
  • edited April 2008
    I remember that short. and yes, just liek that except perhaps fewer violations of the laws of physics...
  • edited April 2008
    Somehow, if Sam & Max did own a trailer as their mobile office, I kind of imagined it being really beat up both inside and outside.
  • edited April 2008
    I hope a middle way. I explain: I want some characters from season 2 but a couple of new characters in third. The story must be resetted, becouse to continue that of the season 2 will make all even more complex. season 2 was already difficult to understand, in certain point.
  • edited April 2008
    tabacco wrote: »

I think that was the first Mickey Mouse cartoon I ever saw (when I was a kid). :D While watching it right now, I was imagining Goofy as Sam and Mickey as Max and Donald as Bosco. :p
  • EmiEmi
    edited April 2008
    Most definitely not. It does however need a refresh. My opinion on the Poppers can be found in this thread. Abe and Sybil should be gone the entire season and have only Sybil come back for Season 4 and have her hook up with the monster. I got tired of Abe rather quickly. My favorite new character is easily Grandpa Stinky and I would like more of him. I still like the C.O.P.S. (especially Bluster Blaster), so more of them would be nice along with the Maimtron, Little Timmy, Superball, Flint Paper and the bug you got from Bosco. Ditch the North Pole, Wack-da-Ratz and the no longer singing bear head from the office. It makes it too crowded. And that is all I can think of for the moment.
  • JaiJai
    edited May 2008
    Most of the absolutely funniest gutsploding jokebombs (Not jokes that ARE bombs . . . well, not jokes that are bombs that are duds, but instead, uh, live armed jocular warheads with laughter payloads and killing (If you die laughing) impact) in both seasons have been because of references to prior episodes. I see no reason for a "reboot", especially since they can continue to just go anywhere else and do anything they please. I'm not seeing any corners that Sam & Max painted themselves into over the past two seasons. Why reboot? You want to pretend they never did any of this? They'd have to do it all over again, and that would be a crummy third season!
  • edited May 2008
    A reset would be illogical, but I agree that some things neds to be cleaned up.

The office (and the street) is getting too cluttered. I like the idea of the trophies in the closet, but the office space looks less and less like the cool, worn out office it began as, and more like a yard sale.

I also hope the longer delay between S2 and S3 means a lot of new characters and locations. I absolutely understand the need to reuse characters in episode-based games, but in order to stay fresh, I think S3 needs to get rid of (or at least lower the appearance rate) of a few characters and add a good number of new ones. Now that
    Sybil and Abe are married and on their honeymoon
    , maybe a new character could move in
    to Sybils old building
    . Expanding the neighbourhood is also a possibility.

A new villain would be cool as well, and this time maybe the identity of the main bad-guy could be know throughout the entire season, instead of revealing which one of Sam & Max's previous aquantances is behind everything in the last episode? There is nothing wrong with that in the first two seasons, but I beleave S3 needs to do things a bit differently to avoid becoming predictable.

Oh, and I want more Flint, but make sure he stays a whisky-drinking, chain smoking, triggerhappy private detective with an attitude. His off-screen appearance in HtR is nothing short of legendary.
  • JaiJai
    edited May 2008
    Bagge wrote: »
    The office (and the street) is getting too cluttered. I like the idea of the trophies in the closet, but the office space looks less and less like the cool, worn out office it began as, and more like a yard sale.

Yep, I absolutely agree with that.
  • edited May 2008
    I still dont think that season 3 should reset, but I've been playing some other games and decided that in some cases a reset *IS* a good idea. When a character travels down a path that ends up contrary to his nature or contrary to what he is suppsoed to stand for... then soemtimes a reboot and a slight rearangement of the backstory is needed...

I'll be glad to explain, but It's probably a bit of a faux pas to talk about other games 100% non-relational on the S+M game forum...
  • edited May 2008
    I think what everybody wants to do is to recreate Hit The Road in terms of humour and gameplay, but the thing that makes this series so different is actually just the amount of talking there is, often it is required to solve puzzles- they cannot always be figured out logically like in the classic adventure games. (Broken Sword is much worse for this though).

Personally I do think that the series tries to establish itself as a sitcom episode every time when really it could have more variety- an expanded idea of Hit The Road- the opportunity to visit a new area in each game by driving there, possibly dropping off at a hotel each time, picking up items and what not, so you can leave there the next morning (or the following game) and go to your new location, without having to take up the whole series on one location or area.

Also, I believe Bluster Blaster got messed up because Sam messed with his past in 204. I think that the first series was somewhat campy with the repetition of characters such as The Soda Poppers and Hugh Bliss, and Sam and Max is somewhat more gritty in both the original game and the comics. I do believe that the current pop culture references are a little too frequent and the games, while being a parody of the american way should let that be based on locations and not entirely on characters- i'm pretty sure that was the way of Hit The Road.

I apologise if that seems more like a rant than suggestions but there you go.
  • edited May 2008
    Also, I believe Bluster Blaster got messed up because Sam messed with his past in 204.

Bluster Blaster got messed up because he was the tester for the wireless internet antenna and got struck by lightning. They then put him on laughing gas to ease his pain (which begs the question how do you put a machine under the effects of laughing gas?).

If Sam did anything to him, he made Bluster Blaster how he was (at least audibaly) in 105.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.