E2 Release Discussion:PC/Mac/PSN/XBLA/iOS/Kindle/Android out now;Vita/PS4/XOne:Nov 4 NA/Nov 7 EU

Comments

• That's absolutely nothing to be proud of.

you noticed ! thanks thought i was being too subtle ! fiach i reckon jwbam can fight his own battles but if whiteknighting gets you off than so be it..

• are you saying one of the developers died? Why the name calling?

So you just automatically assume that Telltale is allowed to delve into the details? What if they are contractualy bound or if its somethin

• Attacking Telltale for things that were out of their hands Doesn;t make your arguments any more valid

Gabster posted: »

Putting your shitty arguments in caps won't make them better. Just sayin'

• silence will fall..

no it's not ok but what else can they do with out getting the exact same reaction from people ?

posting up they are delaying it past the 'estimated date' would piss people off and they get raged at.

posting up they are having some problems, they get raged at for not doing their jobs right,

posting up a very soon they get raged at for no date of release

why put a target on your back with out some sort of exit/defence strategy ? like they did here a more or less confirmed release period.

ttg have target on there backs

FiachSidhe posted: »

So what? So that makes it ok? Because they've always had poor communication, that absolves them of scrutiny and criticism? That makes it even

• edited January 2014

sarcasm SHEESH

seriously...

That's absolutely nothing to be proud of.

• I am not Brazilian but I know some Portuguese.

GriloBR posted: »

you are brazilian?or you know portuguese?

• Responsibility has nothing to do with it.

If there is a delay, regardless of fault, you still apologize to your customers. It's just good customer service and it costs NOTHING.

Or don't apologize... but, if you do that, don't be surprised when your customers who expect a certain degree of professionalism stop viewing your business favorably. That's just part of a world where "the customer is king."

but but what if ttg aren't the one's responsible ? what if it was act of god type deal ?

• exactly, so why get so bent out of shape ?

Then it shouldn't be hard to explain it. That's the problem. We don't know.

• edited January 2014

So you being personally offened by telltale's lack of an apology is less of a personal relationship than me putting trust into a company

So if invested in a stock for a company and defended my claim of that investment Im now personally involved with the company?

Yah definately.........

They are a BUSINESS. They are not your friends. They are not your family. They are providing a product, or service for money. Do they owe

• no got and tftb are only in the early stages the main teams are working on twd and twau.

I meant Brought up Them working on 4 games at once instead of 2

• The delay might not have been in their hands, but the terrible communication and shoddy customer service was.

Attacking Telltale for things that were out of their hands Doesn;t make your arguments any more valid

• you can certainly have your opinion, but when you start name calling, then you're not doing yourself any favors. Not a big deal.

So you being personally offened by telltale's lack of an apology is less of a personal relationship than me putting trust into a company So

• damn TWAU updated on steam today and i got excited, i guess its good to know an approximate time, but damn that is/has been a long wait

• [removed]

Attacking Telltale for things that were out of their hands Doesn;t make your arguments any more valid

• Okay, cool

OdanUrr posted: »

I am not Brazilian but I know some Portuguese.

• edited January 2014

nevermind..

RedCombLP posted: »

Responsibility has nothing to do with it. If there is a delay, regardless of fault, you still apologize to your customers. It's just good c

• edited January 2014

Worst gaming experience of all time? Hyperbole much?

Delays happen and it's shit, but Telltale are hardly the first company to push a release back. My position has always been the same. If it's a one time problem, it's forgivable. My loyalty is more dependent on how quickly they get episode 3 out the door.

MPtrey posted: »

Well, Telltale, this is a start but you've got a hell of a lot of more work/ass-kissing to your customers to do before you regain mine and man

• Thank you!

• I doubt telltale is weeping in a corner because of negative comments that people post on their forums. It's just customers venting.

silence will fall.. no it's not ok but what else can they do with out getting the exact same reaction from people ? posting up they are

• so your saying ttg should be apologising for someone elses mistake ?

it should be the ones responsible apologising right ?

yes lets publically out our partners or the party at fault because people demand it.. yeah that'll do em good.. but the customers will be happy !!

seriously..

The delay might not have been in their hands, but the terrible communication and shoddy customer service was.

• edited January 2014

paying customers for an episodic game ?

that is made one episode at a time with only a small team doing work on the rest.

it is not made in full then released when they feel like it..

and that's the god's honest truth people, don't like it tough

No, some people are paying customers upset at a service/product provider over a very legitimate issue of seeming apathy.

• because your clearly not listening/reading stuff.

you're just saying the same stuff over and over.

and the fact you admit they don't owe us an apology is amazing..

staticfl posted: »

are you saying one of the developers died? Why the name calling?

• I know. I jumped into the game before checking any forums. I figured, this has to be it! Why wait for the page to load? It would cost precious seconds! But, no. No. Just more waiting.

damn TWAU updated on steam today and i got excited, i guess its good to know an approximate time, but damn that is/has been a long wait

• Thanks telltale finally! I think I will jump into my fridge and wait till February. Cant Wait!!! February here I come...

• edited January 2014

Here is something for the people who think that those of us who want an apology are out of line (e.g. "ungrateful bastards"). This is a blog post about the right way to apologize to customers when things go wrong. There are a few of these areas where the OP falls woefully short.

• TTG did not "fess up early" -- I think a big point of contention is how long it took for TTG to give fans any definite news, or even just an acknowledgement that there was a problem. I realize TTG might have had reasons they couldn't be very forthright, but this is just one reason why the long delay (with very little communication) really raises people's rancor.

• TTG did not apologize -- While the delay might not have been their fault, one thing TTG DID do wrong was not communicating with their customers. Instead of owning up to that mistake and saying they were sorry for it, they just acted as if they are totally absolved of responsibility in this matter, and there was no apology.

• TTG has not clearly explained why it happened -- I understand there might be legal reasons for this, but the lack of explanation does not inspire confidence when TTG says they don't foresee this happening again. How do we know we can trust that when we don't even know what caused the delay/poor communication in the first place?

• Customers cannot trust TTG to fix it, or their promises that it won't happen again, because without an apology for the lack of communication, or an explanation for the delay/lack of communication, we have no way or knowing what (if anything) has changed between what caused the problems before and the present time.

Case study: How to apologize to your customers when things go badly wrong

When things went pear-shaped over at MozLand, they did so in a big way. The result was lots of unhappy customers, but their response is a case study in how to apologize for problems that seriously affect your customers.

You can read the full text of their apology over on the SEOMoz site but here are the elements of what they did right.

1. Fess up early

I’m not a customer of their services, just a reader of their blog but from the description in the first part of their apology, it’s pretty clear that they had a major melt-down. Rather than offer weak excuses or saying “it wasn’t so bad”, they owned up to the issue. They did this in the first sentence of their response.

2. Tell everyone who was affected

SEOMoz posted the apology on their main blog feed which has 100,000+ RSS subscribers and 120,000+ Twitter followers. They didn’t hide the problem. They didn’t try to find just the people that had been affected and email them a private message. They told the world that there had been problems.

3. Apologize

It sounds simple. However, many companies hide behind 51 kinds of “the dog ate my homework”. In SEOMoz’s case, they didn’t try to dodge the issue. They just said sorry simply and clearly in the second sentence.

"We want to first apologize for any inconveniences or problems that these issues caused you."

They followed that up with another apology at the end of their statement.

You will find that if you apologize for what is your fault, clearly and sincerely, you will eliminate 90% of the customer anger. Everyone makes mistakes and customers accept that sometimes, things do happen. If you are sincere in the apology, you will find that they are much more likely to forgive you than if you find reasons why it wasn’t really your fault, even if it wasn’t.

The worst mistake companies make in this area is to find fault with the customer at this point: “you didn’t log in properly”, may be a reason but not an excuse. It’s your job to make sure that customers do log in properly.

But remember, if you make a similar mistake two, three or four times, customers will consider that you are not serious about your apology and this will turn against you.

4. Clearly state what happened and why

Get to the root of what caused the customer problem, clearly explain what happened and why it happened. In the case of SEOMoz, they have broken the issue down into multiple lines of sub-issues. This “Issue” list clearly identifies what when wrong and why.

If you have not already corrected the immediate issue, let customers know when it will be resolved. Resist the urge to give a better ETA on the fix that you can reliably deliver.

Telling a customer the fix will be completed on Wednesday and delivering it in Thursday just makes things worse. However, telling them the fix will be sorted by Friday and delivering on Thursday will get you points. Same delivery time, very different outcomes.

Many years ago someone told me:

"Customers like good news, they dislike bad news but they really hate surprises."

It’s a good motto to live by.

5. Fix it

Seems like this should go without saying, but get on your bike and fix the problem as fast as possible.

6. Tell customers why it will not happen again

Most companies breath a sigh of relief when the “Fix it” element is done but it is not enough; you need to go on and tell customers why they will not experience this problem again. Closing the loop like this demonstrates to them that you are serious about resolving the problem and preventing it from occurring again.

In the customer feedback research that we have performed into identifying what drives customer loyalty in IT companies, we have found that this closing the loop process is often more important than solving the problem the first place. Your customers have been inconvenienced and they want to be reassured that it will not happen again.

• edited January 2014

[removed]

I doubt telltale is weeping in a corner because of negative comments that people post on their forums. It's just customers venting.

• So? Is it your job to correct everyone who leaves a negative comment that you're right and they're wrong?

because your clearly not listening/reading stuff. you're just saying the same stuff over and over. and the fact you admit they don't owe us an apology is amazing..

• THATS WHAT I JUST SAID

gah nevermind

no got and tftb are only in the early stages the main teams are working on twd and twau.

• edited January 2014

[removed]

So? Is it your job to correct everyone who leaves a negative comment that you're right and they're wrong?

• edited January 2014

Yes, companies with good customer service DO apologize for someone else's mistakes, as long as the mistake has inconvenienced their customers. It's called professionalism.

I'm not looking for a refund. I'm not looking for them to beg forgiveness.

Is it really too much to ask that they acknowledge the inconvenience and apologize that it upset many us?

Even if it's not their fault, it's just an empathetic thing they can do that COSTS THEM NOTHING (and gains them much)!

Edit to add: And a simple apology doesn't require them to "publicly out their partners"...

so your saying ttg should be apologising for someone elses mistake ? it should be the ones responsible apologising right ? yes lets publ

• edited January 2014

I'm sorry that I'm not grateful that a company took my money and then refused to comment when asked what was going on with their product for months on end.

yeah because of the all ungrateful toerags constantly complaining..

• my bad

THATS WHAT I JUST SAID gah nevermind

• Nope, it's called "customer service" and operating a business in the real world.

nevermind..

• I'm glad to hear about the release for Ep 2! That's great news.

I wonder when we'll be getting any news about TWAU's Vita release?

• because they don't know ?

and when they do they post it.

simple.

I'm sorry that I'm not grateful that a company took my money and then refused to comment when asked what was going on with their product for months on end.

• At this rate we'll have episode 5 new years 2015.

• This is alot more reasonable then your previous

:"well they owe us an apology because they do" logic

However as you stated we dont know if its for legal reasons or not

I can understand people wanting them to "dive into the details" but if it was something they Could do they probably would have

Personally I trust telltale but I can reasonably imagine the amount of doubt that you all have in them at this point

An apology did not seem necessary here in my humble (shitty to most) opinion as it wasn't really telltale's Fault (as far as we know) taht this delay happend

Telltale did assure in the post that this will not be happening again

Honestly if Telltale "fessed up early" there would be much more rage than acceptance

As far as we know the "problem" has been fixed

Look I can actually make a semi constructive post when I try!

Here is something for the people who think that those of us who want an apology are out of line (e.g. "ungrateful bastards"). This is a blog p

• Alt text

Nope, it's called "customer service" and operating a business in the real world.

• edited January 2014

If you're going to quote me, quote what I actually say, not a distortion of it.

Let's see where I ever once said "they owe us an apology because they do"....

This is alot more reasonable then your previous :"well they owe us an apology because they do" logic However as you stated we dont know

• So the killer in wolf among us lives on!!!!

Sign in to comment in this discussion.