Can everybody stop complaining about "Hit the Road"?

edited February 2010 in Sam & Max
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Come on people, every other thread is something like "Doesn't telltale own the rights to hit the road", or "Can lucasarts work with telltale"?

Lets face it people, once computers were able to run action games, starwars was lucasarts number-one priority, and still is to this day.

So stop filling up the forums, just play the game and enjoy it.

Comments

• edited November 2008
    Why do people want a rerelease of htr anyway? Scumvm gets it running on most pcs and it's not like it's hard to find on Ebay.
  • edited November 2008
    Well I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting LEC to re-release Hit the Road or any of their older games. Yes, Hit the Road is findable enough for those actively looking for it, but it would be nice to see the game on an American store shelf or even from LEC's website again someday.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2008
    I think everyone would love an official re-release of Hit the Road, there's nothing wrong with that.

I mean, Hit the Road with updated graphics might conceivably be a cool project even, in a purely hypothetical sense (done by someone else).

It starts getting silly though when people ask for a new game that is "just like hit the road but just different enough." I mean, on one hand, that means that for some people Telltale's games don't hit every single note for them that Hit the Road did, but on the other hand, 1) that's not surprising given that the Telltale Sam & Max games are structurally different and are made by different people and have a deliberately slightly different tone than Hit the Road, and 2) Hit the Road already exists and is still great fun, so why would we go out of their way spending months or years remaking it?
  • edited November 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    I think everyone would love an official re-release of Hit the Road, there's nothing wrong with that.

I mean, Hit the Road with updated graphics might conceivably be a cool project even, in a purely hypothetical sense (done by someone else).

It starts getting silly though when people ask for a new game that is "just like hit the road but just different enough." I mean, on one hand, that means that for some people Telltale's games don't hit every single note for them that Hit the Road did, but on the other hand, 1) that's not surprising given that the Telltale Sam & Max games are structurally different and are made by different people and have a deliberately slightly different tone than Hit the Road, and 2) Hit the Road already exists and is still great fun, so why would we go out of their way spending months or years remaking it?

I understand. It's just that I get so annoyed when I see at least 2 threads per-page about TTG rereleasing Hit the Road, I mean, we can't keep re-releasing games all the time, We found that out after the PlayStation version of Pong.

Although, I wouldn't mind it being an Easter egg. (ie. Maniac mansion accessible within DOTT)
  • edited November 2008
    natlinxz wrote: »
    I understand. It's just that I get so annoyed when I see at least 2 threads per-page about TTG rereleasing Hit the Road, I mean, we can't keep re-releasing games all the time, We found that out after the PlayStation version of Pong.

Although, I wouldn't mind it being an Easter egg. (ie. Maniac mansion accessible within DOTT)

2 per page, we hardly had any till recently, most of the topics regarding to htr are about the game and ways to run it i.e. on wii via scummvm, now making monkey island 5 on the other hand :D:D:D
  • edited November 2008
    Well excuuuuuse me for not knowing about SCUMMVM when I made that thread.....assuming this was made after seeing my thread about HTR...
  • edited November 2008
    Jake wrote: »

actually, ScummVM does quite a good job of "updating" the graphics, even ;)
  • edited November 2008
    actually, ScummVM does quite a good job of "updating" the graphics, even ;)

Ugh. I hate that smoothing feature, so unnatural. Give me pixels any day.
  • edited November 2008
    As cool as an "updated" HtR would be, the blocky pixels in the original are part of what invokes the nostalgia of playing classic games.

I miss mah big blocks of solid color! :p
  • edited November 2008
    Ya know, if people really want something Hittheroaderesque, maybe Telltale should think about next time texturing the characters with just fifteen colors. And turn down all shadow filters and such. And downsize the resolution to 320x240. And maybe afterwards upscale it, so we still have these blocky things.

Now that would bring back some nostalgia, doesn't it?

By the way, I've did several attempts at picking up HTR, but everytime I started with the game I ended up never playing it again, because of the fact that the pacing is a bit slower, perhaps even too slow. The Telltale Sam & Max games have the advantage that it's made for a broader audience, since the pacing now is quicker.

I'm sure as hell going to get the Sam & Max season one for the Wii once it gets released here in Europe, since I know I will at least get the satisfaction of at least finishing one chapter. And to be honest, like in Fallout, I don't get why people are really all that lyrical about the original and not about the newer version. The newer version might be quite different than the original, but at least it's made with the intention of keeping things interesting.

And as much as I love nostalgia (I even bought the whole Id pack from Id Entertainment on Steam, which included Commander Keen, HELL YEAH!) I'd rather have the newer versions.
  • edited November 2008
    I just wish people would stop saying that the new games should do something differently just because Hit the Road did it. That's not really a very strong reason. Besides, the Telltale games are actually more true to the comics in some ways, especially in the range of emotions the characters show. I'm waiting until I can acquire Hit the Road legally before I replay it, but I remember them deadpanning their way through almost every situation, and I prefer a bit of depth of character in my messed up comedy adventure. They're more interesting and less like one dimensional gag machines that way.
    GaryCXJk wrote: »
    By the way, I've did several attempts at picking up HTR, but everytime I started with the game I ended up never playing it again, because of the fact that the pacing is a bit slower, perhaps even too slow.
    I had that problem too, until I got the voiced version. I don't know why that motivated me more, but after that every time I got bored, there'd be some more hilarious dialogue that made want to keep playing.
  • edited November 2008
    tobar wrote: »
    Ugh. I hate that smoothing feature, so unnatural. Give me pixels any day.

Hmmm, my eyes hurt after 5 minutes if I play in 320x200. I'm more durable with 3x magnification w/o smoothing, like up to 15 mins. It takes all kinds, I guess :)

Oh and btw., thanks for the hint somewhere above about the Symbian version. Now HTR is residing on my mobile phone, and "Friends????" is only 5 clicks away :)
  • edited January 2010
    I really don't like the turn Telltale Games have gone with the Sam&Max + Monkey Island.
    Point and click should be funny graphics + good funny riddels.
    Now its just,,,,3d graphics and a design "made" by the top leaders.

Bring back the good old point and click,,plllllsssss.

At least the Day of The Tentacle is not messed up so far
  • edited January 2010
    I've just got this game off ebay and am playing it now. It's great! Not sure what "complaints" there could possibly be...
  • edited January 2010
    olspal wrote: »
    I really don't like the turn Telltale Games have gone with the Sam&Max + Monkey Island.

Why is everyone in fear of change? If you seriously like the old way, then go back to playing the older versions, things change. Games Change, life Changes.
  • edited January 2010
    Icedhope wrote: »
    Why is everyone in fear of change? If you seriously like the old way, then go back to playing the older versions, things change. Games Change, life Changes.

DrSpencerJohnson-WhoMovedMyCheese.jpg
  • edited January 2010
    olspal wrote: »

????
    Well, that's because dott actually IS on of those old point and click adventures. It even was released before sam and max, dott release was in june 1993, htr release was nov 1993
  • edited January 2010
    1- Can everyone stop thinking that just because computers are able to run action games now, all the gaming industry should specialize in action genre? Where did my rights of choosing the most suited alternative for me go anyway?

Plus, your computer is able to do lots of things right now. Some you may like, some you may not like, and some are just illegal.

2- Can everyone stop thinking that adventure gaming equals to point and click? All changes that are done to give YOU a better experience. You know what they say for those who stick to the old methods even though it's proven to be primitive against other alternative solutions?

Blockheaded. It's a bad thing.

3- Can everyone stop thinking that Star Wars is the king of all fictional materials?

It's not. Get over with it. Check out OTHER things before. Otherwise it pisses people off.
  • edited January 2010
    Hit the road is a good game, but it doesn't compare to the new Sam and Max games. The puzzles are (slightly) more logical, the humour is better and it has better voice actors.

In HTR, you spend ages being stuck and most of the solutions are stupid. And the minigames are lame as.

Sam and Max is a fantastic franchise, and it's evolving really well. Every re-incarnation has been a step up over the previous one, so a remake would be silly.

I don't agree with your star wars comments though. Star Wars sucks.
  • edited January 2010
    Fury wrote: »
    Hit the road is a good game, but it doesn't compare to the new Sam and Max games. The puzzles are (slightly) more logical, the humour is better and it has better voice actors.

In HTR, you spend ages being stuck and most of the solutions are stupid. And the minigames are lame as.

Sam and Max is a fantastic franchise, and it's evolving really well. Every re-incarnation has been a step up over the previous one, so a remake would be silly.

This.

Thank you.
  • edited January 2010
    After playing Seasons 1 and 2, I looked out my old copy of HtR to play it again, as I remembered I hadn't completed it (because I got stuck).

However, I didn't get very far before I was put off. As well as the actors sounding... wrong, which admittedly was because I had forgotten what they sounded like and now always equate them to their Season 1 and 2 voices, but I just found it hard to play. The interface is obtuse, the dialogue options wierd (what, I can't see what I'm going to ask?) and... well I just couldn't play it.

I'm sure back in the day it was a great game, but it just hasn't held up as well to me as it has to other people.
  • edited January 2010
    Holy mother of Poseidon, did olspal just kick a one year and two months old topic?
  • edited January 2010
    GaryCXJk wrote: »
    Holy mother of Poseidon, did olspal just kick a one year and two months old topic?

Welcome to the internet, where Necromancy isn't a sin!
  • edited February 2010
    natlinxz wrote: »
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Lets face it people, once computers were able to run action games, starwars was lucasarts number-one priority, and still is to this day.

So stop filling up the forums, just play the game and enjoy it.
    Falanca wrote: »
    Can everyone stop thinking that Star Wars is the king of all fictional materials?

It's not. Get over with it. Check out OTHER things before. Otherwise it pisses people off.
    Fury wrote: »

Okay, first thing... Natlinxz didn't say "Star Wars is Number 1," he said "Star Wars is LucasArts' Number 1 priority," which is VERY TRUE... to LucasArts' detriment. They're stupid for dropping everything else (incl. S&M:Freelance Police) to work primarily on Star Wars stuff.

Second, Star Wars doesn't suck. Go back and watch THE ORIGINAL VERSION OF THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY (Links to Amazon: Star Wars, Empire and Jedi) and leave the story at that. George Lucas was a better writer back in the day when he wasn't so well known. Now, he f*%#s everything up that he touches because he thinks it has to be more kid-friendly now.

Third, shut up already about Hit the Road. If you don't like it, don't play it. I thought it was great, you just have to get used to the dialogue tree interface. Not every game has the same interface as the first 2 Monkey Island games.

In fact, in Hit the Road you can't miss picking up an object and later need it so are stuck forever, or die at random for stupid reasons... or even die at all, which is more than I can say for several Sierra On-Line games, but for those games that was just a known hazard... which taught me to always save early and often with those games. yet, the King's Quest series is still one of my favorite adventure game series. Hit the Road has neither of those frustrations. Stop complaining already.
  • edited February 2010
    Are you really telling people to stop talking about Hit the Road in a topic about Hit the Road unless they love everything about it? That doesn't seem conducive to an interesting discussion.
  • edited February 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    Second, Star Wars doesn't suck. Go back and watch THE ORIGINAL VERSION OF THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY (Links to Amazon: Star Wars, Empire and Jedi) and leave the story at that. George Lucas was a better writer back in the day when he wasn't so well known. Now, he f*%#s everything up that he touches because he thinks it has to be more kid-friendly now.

The original trilogy was meant to be kid-friendly. I mean "A New Hope" was in fact a modified version of "knight rescuing princess from the evil wizard" scenario, with lots of clichés and all that. It may not suck, but I can say that I don't enjoy watching any movies or published media materials of Star Wars. Not at all.
    Shwoo wrote: »
    Are you really telling people to stop talking about Hit the Road in a topic about Hit the Road unless they love everything about it? That doesn't seem conducive to an interesting discussion.

What makes the world go around is just shutting the hell up when you dislike something. You know, there are no problems when some people are not yelling it out loud, right?

Right?
  • edited February 2010
    What makes the world go around is just shutting the hell up when you dislike something. You know, there are no problems when some people are not yelling it out loud, right?
    Right?

Now, I like complaining as much as the next person, but I can see how there is a difference between:
    - not mentioning stuff while it can still be fixed / ignoring things and letting them get worse
    and:
    - complaining that something that is years old sucked

This being said, I don't see why people couldn't say they disliked something, as long as they're not becoming a real pest about it ("you know who I met the other day?" "HIT THE ROAD SUCKED!").
  • edited February 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    Now, I like complaining as much as the next person, but I can see how there is a difference between:
    - not mentioning stuff while it can still be fixed / ignoring things and letting them get worse
    and:
    - complaining that something that is years old sucked

This being said, I don't see why people couldn't say they disliked something, as long as they're not becoming a real pest about it ("you know who I met the other day?" "HIT THE ROAD SUCKED!").

Well, there are some reasons given with that phrase, "HIT THE ROAD SUCKED". I mean it's not only that. Chyron8472 has also given reasons to prove his/her (I feel like I have to use it like this more than usual from now on) own statement, but it feels like he/she doesn't really want to hear anymore about how, well, unsatisfying Hit the Road was.

It was a harsh comment to begin with, I know, but still "don't play it if you don't like it" is just like saying "people do stuff whether you like it or not, maybe they make a FPS game of Sam and Max with no comic mischief but some long comments about how bad war is and such, if you don't like it don't go all nuts about it!" and is not a good comeback either.

Also if someone just yells randomly like "HIT THE ROAD SUCK ARSE" and then runs off, it's just that person's lack of own opinions. That person clearly doesn't know WHY he/she doesn't like that game anyway, it's just a repetition of what he/she's told. No need to get all angry about it and such. I, for instance, find it really amusing when people show their incompetence. It's totally great. Feels like having so much fun in a pool filled with mud and you don't get dirty afterwards. It's a carnival for my ego!

With that being said, yes, I do feel Hit the Road lacked so many things. Especially after seeing Sam and Max: Save the World, I felt really bad about it.
  • edited February 2010
    For the record Falanca, I'm male. (just thought I'd clear that up.)

And maybe I was just on a bit of a rant about people complaining about HtR because I played it through again yesterday and really found it mildly entertaining. It wasn't as good as Save the World or Beyond Time and Space by any means, but it wasn't terrible or immediately evocative of boredom as some other adventure games I've played. (ie., "Freddy Pharkas" or "Al Emmo" bore me within 5 minutes of starting the games, and King's Quest 5 has horrendous voice acting.) I honestly didn't think HtR was so bad.

Off topic for a second, if you hate Star Wars, you should see the Nostalgia Critic's Review of "A Star Wars Holiday Special." That film really is terrible. You might just kill yourself.

ahem... anyway, I do know something about people showing their incompetence while trying to appear smug. For example, in high school, I once was told off by a couple of girls that what I called "Daylight Savings Time" was actually called "Spring Forward, Fall Back." They even tried to get the teacher to agree, but the teacher didn't care to listen or argue so they took it as confirmation.
  • edited February 2010
    Well, there are some reasons given with that phrase, "HIT THE ROAD SUCKED".

My last part about not abusing it wasn't meant to imply that anyone in particular did. I just didn't want to sound extreme the other way around, as in "if you don't like people complaining, then don't read their posts" or something. I think debating can be good and interesting. Even when neither person is going to change their minds, it still give some insight about their reasons and that's always nice to see things from other people's perspective.
    That is, as long as people do state their reasons, of course. "X rocks" is as unhelpful as "X sucks" as far as I'm concerned (although it's probably nicer to hear if you're responsible for X).
  • edited February 2010
    For the record Falanca, I'm male. (just thought I'd clear that up.)
    Hey dude.
    And maybe I was just on a bit of a rant about people complaining about HtR because I played it through again yesterday and really found it mildly entertaining. It wasn't as good as Save the World or Beyond Time and Space by any means, but it wasn't terrible or immediately evocative of boredom as some other adventure games I've played. (ie., "Freddy Pharkas" or "Al Emmo" bore me within 5 minutes of starting the games, and King's Quest 5 has horrendous voice acting.) I honestly didn't think HtR was so bad.
    The thing I can appreciate best in it are the visuals. I can tell they worked really hard on the game, but it wasn't what I expected from a Sam and Max game. Even before Save the World and Beyond time and Space.
    Off topic for a second, if you hate Star Wars, you should see the Nostalgia Critic's Review of "A Star Wars Holiday Special." That film really is terrible. You might just kill yourself.

OH GOD, yes, I watched it as I watched the entire list of Critic's vids. Only NC could make it enjoyable to watch that abomination anyway.
    ahem... anyway, I do know something about people showing their incompetence while trying to appear smug. For example, in high school, I once was told off by a couple of girls that what I called "Daylight Savings Time" was actually called "Spring Forward, Fall Back." They even tried to get the teacher to agree, but the teacher didn't care to listen or argue so they took it as confirmation.

Don't remind me of highschool. Or better, don't remind me of my school history as a whole. The thing I could truly learn from there was that you can't learn INTELLIGENCE from school.
  • edited February 2010
    OH GOD, yes, I watched it as I watched the entire list of Critic's vids. Only NC could make it enjoyable to watch that abomination anyway.

http://www.rifftrax.com/rifftrax/star-wars-holiday-special

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled thread, I think everyone should stop kung fu fighting, I mean stop talking about HtR, mostly because this thread was a year dead and necromancy gives me the willies.

Okay, actually on topic, it's been, God, I don't know, 14 years? since I last saw HtR, but I remember it as being pretty funny with a lot of style. Maybe it wasn't the greatest game ever, but I'm glad it was made since it showed Sam and Max could work in an adventure game. If HtR hadn't been made, we might never have had the Telltale S&M games.
  • edited February 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    If HtR hadn't been made, we might never have had the Telltale S&M games.

Well, if there wasn't a Dracula, there wouldn't be Twilight...

I mean we shouldn't bind the reasons and results that much. Possibilities are endless.
  • edited February 2010
    Well, if there wasn't a Dracula, there wouldn't be Twilight...

I mean we shouldn't bind the reasons and results that much. Possibilities are endless.

I'd have said if there wasn't an Anne Rice, there wouldn't be Twilight, but anyway.

I think in this case there is a very direct correlation, though. I don't see how you could say, "Even if HtR had never happened Telltale would have made their Sam and Max games."
  • edited February 2010
    Well, we got Strong Bad... It wasn't a classic or anything. Also by knowing that Steve Purcell works for game companies, I'd say we would still be playing Sam and Max games.
  • edited February 2010
    Actually he works for Pixar now and has for quite a few years. Sam and Max were only the second series Telltale worked on, and considering the previous IP was an indie comic called Bone which didn't do too well sales wise, I don't think they'd have gone for another untested property right afterward. Not to mention Telltale picking up the license after the LA Sam and Max was canceled (to the dismay of a thousand, screaming fanboys of HtR) garnered them quite a bit of press in the gaming community.

Plus HtR was the media format that made the deepest inroads into general pop culture, even more so than the animated series, which itself would probably have never happened if not for the game, since until that point the comic had only had a few independently published issues and appearances in the LA newsletter.
  • edited February 2010
    "X rocks" is as unhelpful as "X sucks" as far as I'm concerned.

Sam & Max Season 1 & 2 rocks! :D
  • edited February 2010
    You are so unhelpful! :mad:
  • edited February 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    You are so unhelpful! :mad:

Aren't we all? :D
  • edited February 2010
    Aren't we all? :D

Hell yeah, I'd be even classified as an obstacle!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.