Too easy?

edited August 2009 in Sam & Max
I just started this series for the first time. I like it, but so far it seems to be a bit easy. Some of the puzzles in the first episode were somewhat challenging, but other then that it's been a soft ride. Episode three in particular was a breeze. Is this how it's going to be from now on or can i expect more challenge? What about season two? I like the game so far, but i'm worried i may end up finish it really quick.

Comments

• JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2009
    The games never become brain destructively hard, but the difficulty does noticeably ramp up and up over the course of the series.
  • edited March 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    The games never become brain destructively hard, but the difficulty does noticeably ramp up and up over the course of the series.

That's good to know, i was afraid it was actually going to get easier still, particularly considering modern trends in gaming.
  • edited March 2009
    I think they allow more jokes to be explored though, the actual "story" dialogue is much funnier then if you click on random junk, so they want you to get to the funny quick :)
  • edited March 2009
    There's actually a nice little learning curve over the 2 seasons. By the time you get to the last two episodes of s2 if u are playing with hints off they will
    Present a nice and lengthy challenge. Your gonna love the next 8 episodes! The series started to hit it's stride by 104 and then it just gets better and better
  • edited March 2009
    Seriously, I'd say play Episode 104 before giving this any further thought. It has the moment that sold me on Sam & Max.
  • edited March 2009
    Well, I say it's hard. But that's good. I want to explore all the funny dialogue I can get my hands on.
  • edited March 2009
    I think the difficulty's just right. Hard enough to be enjoyable, and easy enough that I don't get so frustrated that I start working exclusively from a guide because I want to know what happens next.
  • edited March 2009
    I like these type of comedy game on the easy side so that the whole experience can go smoothly, still i'd say season 2 was propably a bit more tough.

Still, welcome aboard. These games are gems
  • edited March 2009
    Jake wrote: »

and, will it not go further in later series (either S&M or W&G)? I'm not dissatisfied or anything, but I could use some more difficult puzzles sometimes :D
  • edited March 2009
    Gah, for me the puzzles were insanely hard at first.. but that was probably cause I hadn't played this kind of games in a long while. :) As I got more into the S&M universe, those puzzles became slightly easier for me, too.

But never too easy, that's for sure! :D
  • edited March 2009
    Trica wrote: »
    Gah, for me the puzzles were insanely hard at first.. but that was probably cause I hadn't played this kind of games in a long while. :) As I got more into the S&M universe, those puzzles became slightly easier for me, too.

But never too easy, that's for sure! :D

Well, I can speak only for myself - I had quite a simple time with Chariots of the Dogs and What's New Beelzebub. I only stopped at places to laugh my head off - which happened quite often :D
  • edited March 2009
    Well, I can speak only for myself - I had quite a simple time with Chariots of the Dogs and What's New Beelzebub. I only stopped at places to laugh my head off - which happened quite often :D

Heheh, well I haven't played Season 2 yet, so I can't comment on that. :D

Season One burned quite a bit of my braincells, though. ;) Especially Reality 2.0.
  • edited March 2009
    Yes, especially with that
    rainbow paint kit puzzle.
    I swear, that was the only time so far that I needed to check the walkthrough.
  • edited March 2009
    I noticed an increase in difficulty in the first season, but I've only played the first game in the second season and it was the easiest yet. It's good to know that the rest will be harder.
  • edited March 2009
    thanatos56 wrote: »
    I noticed an increase in difficulty in the first season, but I've only played the first game in the second season and it was the easiest yet. It's good to know that the rest will be harder.

Are you playing season 2 with all hints turned off?
  • edited March 2009

It's always funny to see how different things can prove difficult to people. The mentioned puzzle was obvious for me, while in the same episode, I just couldn't figure out
    how to get into the office when the small size was in effect
    :)
  • edited March 2009
    I got stuck in 102, but after I figured that puzzle out, I figured out that "oh, that's right, I have to think like Sam and Max". It's really not that hard if you think like them, because most of the puzzles only make sense to them.
    I've gotten stuck a few times, but usually Max helped me out (if you know what I mean).
    Also, in What's New Beelzebub?, I think I broke Max's hint button. I turned on the hints, because the answer to the puzzle wasn't obvious (and I don't even remember what puzzle this was). He told me to go one place, so I went there, and then he told me he was homesick, immediately after I got there...
    Personally, I think he was just messing with me.
  • edited March 2009
    Hero1 wrote: »
    Are you playing season 2 with all hints turned off?

I think I had it set on the lowest hints possible while still having hints on.

Anyway, I kinda want to see Telltale make a puzzle that's unbelievably hard, just for fun. Like the door password puzzle in Monkey Island 2. Just something that makes you think for hours before you get it.
  • edited March 2009
    Seeing as I am not that good when playing adventure games, I had a hard time with all the episodes. I like turning hints off completely though.
  • edited July 2009
    Hi, sorry to bring back a dead topic, but I was just thinking along these lines while playing and didn't want to start a new one. Let me start by saying I've only played the first 3 episodes of Season 1 so far (I've heard they get better from there, too) and I love them.

But part of me feels like the games are missing something that the original had and the oldschool point-and-click games had by being so short and self-contained. They just feel kind of easy because it seems you're just going back and forth between Sam&Max's street and one or two episode-specific locations in each game. And there just isn't time for big complicated puzzles, or combining inventory items together. I just remember from the first game there being like 10 locations to run back and forth between and figure out what to do next at.

Don't mean to sound like I'm complaining too much, I love the games so far, just wondering how people felt about this, and whether people really prefer smaller episodic games than one big one that maybe could even be broken into smaller episodes but feel a bit bigger in scope? (Sorry if this has been discussed to death earlier, like when these came out/were first announced; like I said, I just started S1 recently)
  • edited July 2009
    From episode 4 on each episode gets better and better.. In season 2 there is less back and forth and the puzzles are better and require a bit more thought
  • edited July 2009
    I agree that the first 3 of season 1 are easy. I completed all three of them within a few days (episode 3 took me about 2 hours to beat) with no hints or anything. Then, I found episode 4 was suddenly more challenging.

It's cool that the first 3 are easy. They help ease you into the series, plus it's better that way round than having, say, the last episode of season 2 being ridiculously easy. (though to be honest I haven't started that episode yet, so I wouldn't know if it's easy or not!)
  • edited July 2009
    Hopefully Season 3 of Sam & Max will get the item combine from Monkey Island, that should help to have more items, making it more fun and more challenging puzzles.
  • edited July 2009
    When those first 3 episodes came out initially there was a huge discussion about the difficulty:

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1232
  • edited July 2009
    I completed season 1 yesterday, and I found it to be overall easy. I got stuck 2-3 times, but it wasnt too hard to figure out after a while. Unlike the old game wich was very difficult at times. It's good to hear season 2 is more challenging.
  • edited July 2009
    I got stuck a couple times, but I thought the season was just right. Not too cold or hot or small or big or jim or larry or bob or steve, but juuuuuust right.
  • edited July 2009
    This thread makes me feel stupid.

I get stuck every once in awhile. Usually its when I overlook a simple item.
  • edited July 2009
    This thread makes me feel stupid.

I get stuck every once in awhile. Usually its when I overlook a simple item.

Me too. I have been stuck a ton of times in this games. The First Chapter of Monkey Island was the very first telltale game I finished without read the walktrough. And, I think the hint system is there because the Game itself it's not easy for the average!
  • edited July 2009
    Usually its when I overlook a simple item.

I rule at that.

"Wut??? "Pick Up Panel" ??? I SPENT THREE POOPIN MONTHS LOOKING FOR A DAMN SHOVEL AND THE DAMN THING WAS RIGHT ON THAT PANEL IN THE VERY FIRST SCREEN ?????"
  • edited August 2009
    Haha, yeah... I was just looking for pepper in Curse of Monkey Island, and wandered around for like an hour not finding it in plain sight...
  • edited August 2009
    Yes!
  • edited August 2009
    One thing I think would be cool is if after beating the game you could play it again, but all the puzzles change and its much harder. I'm a huge fan of unlockables. Its like a reward system for me playing games. Can't go wrong with that.
  • edited August 2009
    It's always funny to see how different things can prove difficult to people. The mentioned puzzle was obvious for me, while in the same episode, I just couldn't figure out
    how to get into the office when the small size was in effect
    :)

I didn't have any trouble with the paint kit or getting into s&m office while small, but I did have trouble figuring out to use the
    bugs on computers.

I used a hint again on 106 with
    the spoon holding the bowling ball

Your right how some things easy to someone may be hard to someone else, and reverse.
  • edited August 2009
    They're certainly nowhere near as difficult as Hit the Road... sometimes that game hurt my head beyond all imagination... but I think the difficulty level now is quite pleasant, rather than too easy.
  • edited August 2009
    101 and 102 had me reaching for a walkthrough because I hadn't touched an adventure game in ages, the difficulty then just got harder and harder (except from 106, as I didn't realise Max was giving me hints to everything in the incorporated hitn system, I thought it was dialogue!)

Then 203 started weaving into seriously illogical thinking, which is when I resorted to hints.

204 was full-blown illogical thinking, so hints again.

205 was completely on 204's level of illogics, I don't know what they've been huffing on, but it's got to stop.
  • edited August 2009
    Really? I don't remember many illogical puzzles towards the end of season 2. Could you give some examples?

the only one I can think of right now is the hidden passage puzzles in 203, and it makes sense that the hidden passages would be hidden.
  • edited August 2009
    I found the difficulty in Season 2 to be harder overall then Season 1, especially if you man-up and play no hints.

That puzzle was INSANE! Hours I spent, HOURS!!! That's the only time I've ever had to consult a walkthrough for a point-and-click adventure game in my life. It defied all logic, why would
    color coordination with license plates
    help you get through a firewall.:mad: To this day it still makes me angry.

But aside from that one puzzle I thought Season 2 was markedly harder than Season 1, but in a good way. If there is no challenge then there is no reward ;)
  • edited August 2009
    Really? I don't remember many illogical puzzles towards the end of season 2. Could you give some examples?
    Using a paper clip chain as a fishing rod, is ridiculous enough...but having to get a minesweeper cartridge that nobody even requested/hinted for - argh!
  • edited August 2009
    Using a paper clip chain as a fishing rod, is ridiculous enough...but having to get a minesweeper cartridge that nobody even requested/hinted for - argh!

I just lucked into that one when I
    saw the steam coming out of the crack.
    Though I agree it was extremely obscure. The one I thought was worse in that episode was
    using Satin's shopping list to replace the list of words that got bleeped.
    I just didn't understand how that could help anything.
  • edited August 2009
    It's not obvious, but it's not illogical. Paper clip chains have a hook on the end. It's really unclear if you ahve the sound effects turned off, though. The Mimesweeper music that plays in the main office of Hell is a hint, but the first I played, I couldn't hear it because the sound skipped if I had the sound effects on. Also, I think figuring out that you need a Mimesweeper cartridge is part of the puzzle and not impossible even without the sound effects, but I wish they'd referred to the carts by name more than once.
    I also got the Satan's grocery list one pretty easily, but I think I was spoiled to it beforehand. Regardless, Hugh Bliss makes it clear that he only bleeps what's on the list, and you do need to hear under the bleeps to continue.

I don't think those puzzles were illogical. Just hard.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.