What do you think Happened to Rhys' Arm?

13»

Comments

1. HEADCANON ACCEPTED.
    2. In memory of Mr. Piggy Wiggles, who gave his life to protect Rhys's cockroach. He shall have a special place in our hearts, etc.
    Lilacsbloom posted: »

Heheheeheh Rhys: Then s-she, she held his head under the water until he stopped breathing and chucked him in the blender to make a frui

• STUPID FUCKING KID!

joshua007 posted: »

I cut it off

• Keep it together Gordon Freeman

STUPID FUCKING KID!

• It's an ECHO upgrade. He willingly had his right arm and left eye implanted, at least to my understanding.

Freakin' Hyperion

• I always thought it was some sort of accessory attached to his shoes xD

Hmm, I've never thought of that before... Maybe it's his shoes or something.

• R.I.P. The SkagSkins !

Hmm, I've never thought of that before... Maybe it's his shoes or something.

• The key thing for me in considering this is the contrast in how useful the eye/head port combo is vs. how useful the arm is. If you think about all the awesome things the ECHO eye can do and what an edge it would give him at Hyperion, vs. the fact that (correct me if I'm wrong) the arm has basically a light and a built-in ECHO device (which you don't need to lop your arm off to get), it seems a little wild that he'd go that far for something that wouldn't be that much of an advantage. My theory on the matter is that he lost his arm - and I agree with the sentiment that it probably wouldn't be doing something heroic, so I imagine it was just an unfortunate accident - and then once he had the money, got the surgery for a cybernetic one.
    And then later, when word was getting around about ECHO implants, and Hyperion employees (who I don't imagine really have the same blasé attitude towards limbs as the good folk of Pandora) were sort of saying 'Oh wow, imagine what an edge that would give you. But I'd be too scared to get one,' I reckon that would be the kind of thing to really make Rhys' ears prick up, because then he could be the 'model employee' who had the guts to get them done, plus having already had his nerves excruciatingly rewired once and being desperate to impress, he'd probably be a lot more casual about going in for surgery round 2.
    That got a little long, haha, but that's my theory!

• You think he is not an antagonist now? He betrayed them...

Lewsblake23 posted: »

It almost seems like he was an antagonist back then.

• I think they changed the plot. Felix was a different person in that scene.

joshua007 posted: »

Did this ever happen?

• You know, if Vasquez was less of a hasty brute, he could've had a pretty sick comeback to Rhys making fun of his hair implants:

"Oh really? Criticisms about implants? From the dude with the cybernetics shoved up his heiney? Keep moving."

• There's this story I heard once while I was volunteering somewhere. This guy went to a job interview at some office, and he didn't get the job, not because he wasn't qualified or anything like that because he knew his stuff...but because he had a wooden leg which the employers assumed he would struggle on the stairs with, despite him not having much trouble with them and there being elevators in the buildings, but regardless, they just wrote him off solely for his disability. I can't remember exactly how it went down, but I think the man called them up on the phone a few days after the interview and overheard them talking about him while he was asked to hold.

Discrimination like that goes on for disabled people for all sorts of things, so try to imagine getting to the top of your game in a company with only one arm or leg, or even being stuck in a wheelchair with that kinda shit stacked against you, it would suck :(

moistchunks posted: »

The key thing for me in considering this is the contrast in how useful the eye/head port combo is vs. how useful the arm is. If you think ab

• So, I was looking at the cosplay reference guide for Rhys and it sort of explains his neck tattoo and his arm

• He fell down some stairs.

But seriously, I'm either thinking he's always been without it, or he paid to have it removed willingly to improve his work within Hyperion. To be honest, if RL prosthetics were that advanced, I'd probably want a robot arm, too. Bad enough to get one? Maybe not, but tempted nonetheless!

Sign in to comment in this discussion.