This is my last Telltale

First off, I love the Telltale Games. The adventure games that are more like watching a suspenseful film are great. However, all of my previous purchases were done so after the episodes have been released. Tales from the Borderlands Episode One was great, stuck right with the signature Borderlands dark comedy/action.

My biggest complaint is not knowing when to look for new content. I find myself checking once a week for new content however all the information I am ever able to find is "Soon" or "TBA". I understand that Telltale is the goto name in episodic gaming however, I feel the term is misused or misleading. Whenever I turn to my favorite television shows for the latest episode, I can pretty much be assured it will be there when I tune in. This is due to the scheduling of episodes being very tightly adhered to with the exception of mid-season breaks and important events.

This is just my opinion, but episodic gaming lacks a foreseen schedule.

Comments

• I know what you mean, it is really frustrating to not have anything to go on at all. But if waiting a little longer means that overall the episode is better when it is finally released, then that's fine with me.

• Good for you, you don't like episodic game series. Telltale's not changing so either deal with it like us all or wait till they're all released.

• "This is just my opinion, but episodic gaming lacks a foreseen schedule."

Uhhh... That's kind of the definition of 'episodic'.

Alt text

• But also:

Alt text

"This is just my opinion, but episodic gaming lacks a foreseen schedule." Uhhh... That's kind of the definition of 'episodic'.

• edited January 2015

My Name is Jeff, This is my last telltale because I do not know the definition of episodic and cannot wait for more than a week for a new episode. Goodbye Telltale.

Alt text

• Well, I can understand him.
    If they say 4-6 weeks and then you got to wait 2 months... well it's misleading at least.

They deserve us some excuses because what they are selling in the FAQ is false.

• I thought it was number 2. :\

"This is just my opinion, but episodic gaming lacks a foreseen schedule." Uhhh... That's kind of the definition of 'episodic'.

• It's both - but even then, the definition never states that the instalments have to be a regular/timed occurrence - just that they're broken up into separate parts.

I thought it was number 2.

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

Whenever I turn to my favorite television shows for the latest episode, I can pretty much be assured it will be there when I tune in. This is due to the scheduling of episodes being very tightly adhered to with the exception of mid-season breaks and important events.

The difference between making a TV show and Telltale making a episode is that all episodes of TV shows are filmed in advance and will normally start to air on TV once all the filming has finished.

Telltale will release a episode while they are working on the rest of the season and will sometimes make changes to the next episode using player feedback from playtesters, player stats and other ways. They will also record all dialogue between episodes which also takes time and then there is the Sony and Microsoft certification process which takes around 2 weeks which will also add to the time it takes for them to release the episode.

The best place to look for news is the Episode 2 Release Date Discussion thread which gets updated when any news gets posted or you can look at Telltale's Twitter, Facebook or Blog.

• Tv is already filmed in advance, Telltale makes 1 ep, then starts the other

• just wait for them all to be released then. You'll probably snag a deal on it as well if you do.

• nice meme brah

Legendary12 posted: »

My Name is Jeff, This is my last telltale because I do not know the definition of episodic and cannot wait for more than a week for a new episode. Goodbye Telltale.

• They have bitten off more than they can chew at the moment. Too many titles and not enough staffing. Several job openings and not enough production.

OzzyUK posted: »

Whenever I turn to my favorite television shows for the latest episode, I can pretty much be assured it will be there when I tune in. This i

• I love smart ass comments like these. :)

• Come on! Good things come to those who can wait :)

• This was a good one, I must say.

Clord posted: »

I love smart ass comments like these.

• Facebook is good for keeping you up to date.

Whenever I turn to my favorite television shows for the latest episode, I can pretty much be assured it will be there when I tune in. This i

• How do you know, do you work there?

rrdxxx posted: »

They have bitten off more than they can chew at the moment. Too many titles and not enough staffing. Several job openings and not enough production.

• Goodbye Jeff.

• I can totally understand you but I still think you are overreacting a bit. I love telltalegames so even if I had to wait 2 more months I would still play their games. It is true that waiting sucks ass but this is why forums exsist: You can share your frustration here with others and speculate what happens next. This community keeps me hyped at least. And if you really love TTG you won't give up so easily.

• You could try ignoring everything about Telltale games until you see a promo of a whole season completed, then have at it. This way it's like seeing a full game coming out without actually waiting for it.

Or use a time-machine like everyone else does duh!

• Really? You call this an information dry spell? Hah! In my day we waited two months after the expected release, and we liked it.

• edited January 2015

Lol, did you also walk ten miles to school in the snow every day?

Really? You call this an information dry spell? Hah! In my day we waited two months after the expected release, and we liked it.

• edited January 2015

Dude I 100% agree with you. I believe there is no excuse to have episodes 2+ months apart resulting in pretty much a year long "season" and that word is subjective. There is nothing seasonal about it... more like annual. These folks defending Telltale are only voicing there own opinions, as have you in your thread. If they don't mind waiting what feels like 6 months for each episode then more power to them. Anything longer than a month for an episode is simply ridiculous.. and your bound to forget nearly everything that happened in the previous episode when the next one is released. Its like waiting 20 years on a sequel for each movie that does a sequel.

Imagine how crappy The Walking Dead TV show would feel if you had to wait like 3 weeks between each and every last episode on AMC. However your just kind of forced to abide by their terms since its their games unfortunately. Exactly why I could never, ever, ever purchase their game seasonal passes. Its a waste when they have the episode that's when I'll have the money.lol not that much of a deal anyhow. Those passes are kind of like some scam. Except the con artist finally does give you the product you paid for a decade later after you gave them the money for their product.

• Feels like 6 months. It's not.

You see with choices, you can go replay it several times and have a different experience, and you have the choice screen, always helpful to read your previous choices before a new episode. And you can watch someone else's play through on YouTube.

If I had to wait 3 weeks for every Walking Dead episode and it was good as the last 2 seasons have been I wouldn't care.

Okay, I guess you rather have old TellTale, where there was no choices, and monthly releases.

Those passes make it easier for you because you only have to download and not worry about paying. It's still a discount.

Ladariel posted: »

Dude I 100% agree with you. I believe there is no excuse to have episodes 2+ months apart resulting in pretty much a year long "season" and

• I'll work harder towards this goal, thanks!

DoubleJump posted: »

You could try ignoring everything about Telltale games until you see a promo of a whole season completed, then have at it. This way it's lik

• Just wait for the whole season to be out then.

• edited January 2015

It cracks me up when people can't just stop playing/watching a series they're no longer interested in without flouncing.

• You must have a good sense of humor.

• edited January 2015

The difference between making a TV show and Telltale making a episode is that all episodes of TV shows are filmed in advance and will normally start to air on TV once all the filming has finished.

Well I suppose you can't hold Telltale to the same time tables as a television program if nothing they do is planned in advance, and done in time segments now it kind of makes a little more sense.

• Are you giving up on them altogether, or just no longer playing individual episodes until a season is over and released on disk? No way I could do that, I'm notorious for stumbling right into spoilers left and right. I would't have the patience to wait for a season to be over with.

• Good question, I want to love TT... 3 months is a bit too much. I'd like to see transparency. I can't devote this much time towards finding out when I get my goodies. I honestly don't remember much of the first episode and I played it through twice. I want to love TT, I want to kiss them, to take them in my arms and smack them at the same time.

nursethalia posted: »

Are you giving up on them altogether, or just no longer playing individual episodes until a season is over and released on disk? No way I co

• Umm, did the picture change when I wasn't looking??????

• In all honesty, I get where you're coming from; everyone's chomping at the bit right now and I definitely don't think you're alone in feeling frustrated at wanting something in your figurative hands to kick the edge off. That said, I'm glad this one isn't being rushed right out raw and untuned, and with limited staff, demanding schedules, rewrites and tweaks and testing it's a process that unfortunately takes a lot of time even at its finest. Shows have very tightly wound schedules, yes, but you can bet that when Timothy McGhee puts his hand on Marie's face to say he loves her it's not going to rubber band off into space or begin an endless loop of frozen dialogue. The processes are different, the demands are different, and what similarities they share are fairly minor when it comes to the big picture.

Could things be adjusted to streamline the process? Maybe. We're not privy to it, so there's no saying how many all nighters are already being pulled, or if the ball was dropped because of unforeseen issue X, but putting in a hard date early on in games can be detrimental to the finished product, episodal or not. I think it's important to look back on games like KotOR (II primarily), TWAU and even DA:I where certain key aspects of the games were lackluster or just plain damaged because they had to stick to the end date over everything else. That's not to say the games were unsuccessful (I'd have to dip even further into TL;DR territory to explain out the individual details as I do love those games for different reasons) but that they definitely could have been more complete, more involved than they were-- and in certain cases just a lot more engaging.

So no, I don't think it's unacceptable to want a little open communication, or to have even a soft date to shoot for with some sort of semi-accuracy, but I also think that maybe calling it might not be the way to go yet either. I'm not trying to dissuade you; your reasons are valid and you have every right to do what feels best, but maybe try treating it less like an episode-driven series and try picking up the game when a full season is done if the waiting isn't for you. And hey, if you do that and it's just an untailored mess regardless, I'd take a note from Jack himself and tell you to follow your heart.

• what the actual hell? Your right, I did nothing..

Dapnee posted: »

Umm, did the picture change when I wasn't looking??????

• That's pretty spooky.

what the actual hell? Your right, I did nothing..

• Handsome Jack is in my computer posting Nazi meme's...

That's pretty spooky.

• Hey!

I may be a megalomanic despot, but even I wouldn't sink that low...

(Seriously though, that's so freakin' weird)

Handsome Jack is in my computer posting Nazi meme's...

• My computer is either possessed or the link somehow glitched..

Hey! I may be a megalomanic despot, but even I wouldn't sink that low... (Seriously though, that's so freakin' weird)

This discussion has been closed.