LucasArts/Telltale - When dreams come true

Comments

• edited September 2006
    I picked up the dig years ago in a discount bin for 5 bucks. It was a fun game and I didn't even realize it was made by lucasarts until I got it home. It was worh the 5 bucks I paid for it but it was probably my least favourite as well. It wasn't funny but at least it was more fun then the other adventure game I was playing at the time, space quest 3. I really didn't like most of those sierra games.....

Speaking of adventure games does anyone remember blue force? It was pretty easy as far as adventure games go but it was interesting. I forget what company made it but I'm sure it would be easy to google. I'm just too lazy right now.
  • edited September 2006
    It's abandonware, so no one would mind if I tell you:
    go get it here http://(censored)
    Hope this helps :) (I doubt about that)
  • edited September 2006
    ummm you might want to edit that out. I already know that it is abandonware. I've still got the discs for it kicking around too...

Anyway, when this forum first started there were some issues regarding "abandonware" on the telltale site and I think something was put in the rules against posting links to games. Thanks for the thought though.

Feels strange having been a part of the forums for almost 2 years now...
  • edited September 2006
    "Abandonware is computer software which is no longer being sold or supported by its copyright holder. Sometimes, it is used as a blanket category for any software over a certain age, usually five years.

The term has no legal meaning. This means that labeling any kind of software 'abandonware' does not make it legal to make copies of it or publish it on a website. Unless the author puts the software in the public domain, abandonware remains covered under copyright law until its copyright term expires." -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware
  • edited September 2006
    ummm you might want to edit that out. I already know that it is abandonware. I've still got the discs for it kicking around too...

Anyway, when this forum first started there were some issues regarding "abandonware" on the telltale site and I think something was put in the rules against posting links to games. Thanks for the thought though.

Feels strange having been a part of the forums for almost 2 years now...

Humm, I didn't think someone would have been bothered by that...
    Anyway, rules are rules, so no problem.
    I just wanted to help :)
  • edited September 2006
    That too. Tell you the truth, I haven't ever gotten around to finishing Zak McKracken. Maybe when I've finished this enormous mound of other games. But seeing as I've just won an auction for Discworld Noir and my preordered copy of Resi 4 for PC will be sent tomorrow, it seems unlikely to happen anytime soon...

Tell me about it - I've still got games I bought last Christmas that I've yet to get around to playing - Definitely keeping my purchases to a minimum this year :D
  • edited September 2006
    Full throttle wouldn't be bad but it can't have Ben in it. That character died with Roy Conrad.

I hadn't realized the guy had passed away - That's bad news
    (Though I'm sure that wasn't the reason LucasArts scrapped the sequel just before release)
  • edited September 2006
    A "jump to" standard command replacing the good old "walk to" would be exhilarating if we still had the good old SCUMM.

Definitely would have been sweet if LucasArts had made the ScummVM open source once they replaced it with the engine used for Grimm Fandango
  • edited September 2006
    Mr IronCladChicken, no offense or anything but there's an edit button down there for extending your posts if need be so you can easily fit three posts made one after the other into one post. Normally I wouldn't really care but someone told me to do the same thing as I'm now telling you once and I'm still snipey about it so now I go out of my way to tell people and generally be a bastard. I'm quite good at it. Being a bastard and all. Great fun.
  • edited September 2006
    It's easier that way if you want to quote a lot of different sources.
  • HeatherleeHeatherlee Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2006
    If Telltale bought from LEC the rights to make a sequel, which one would you like most?
    Maniac Mansion 3? Monkey Island 5? THE REAL Monkey Island 3? Indiana Jones and whoknowswhat (but a GRAPHIC ADVENTURE)?
    This thread isn't obviously dedicated to any Telltale member, I'm not asking anything 'cause I know I won't get an answer :D
    All of the other ones start daydreaming!!!

Loom.
  • edited September 2006
    Loom!
    You're going against the grain, Heather! :D
    Just kiddin', I'd like SO MUCH to see Bobbin back...
    That game is just preying for a sequel!
    Strange thing nobody mentioned it before page 6 of this thread :-/
  • edited September 2006
    Strange thing nobody mentioned it before page 6 of this thread :-/
    Even stranger is that nobody seems to want a Monkey Island sequel. :(
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2006
    That's not strange at all. I think a Monkey Island sequel would just ruin things. [>:)]
  • edited September 2006
    Well, me and someone else (I'm lazy to go check) already spoke about it...
    Monkey Island 5? Bad idea.
    Monkey Island 3? Not without Ron Gilbert. What a waste of genius, anyway.
  • edited September 2006
    How is more Guybrush a bad thing? Someone could make Monkey Island 467 and I'd still get it. Pirates just never get old for me. :(|) 8-X
  • edited September 2006
    I understand the point, it's just that I don't think that releasing a game with the Monkey Island logo and the main chapter named "Guybrush" are enough to make a REAL Monkey Island sequel.
    We already got it with EMI and (less painly, but what the hell) with CMI. Lots of people should admit it, instead of saying CMI was the best chapter in the series.
    CMI was a cartoon, MI1 and MI2 were cartoon-styled but NOT CARTOONS.
    Just take a look at the first two box covers and then at the third one. What happened? A tragical change of dimension? Or maybe the real curse due to Big Whoop was to be turned into a cartoon with a giant nose and toothpick-like legs.
    Come on, they were two pale monkey-inspired games, nothing to do with the first two chapters.
    Sorry for this outburst but someone had to say it, sooner or later.
  • edited September 2006
    When Ron Gilbert left LucasArts, the new team had to change the plot direction of the Monkey Island sequel. The graphics changes were a necessary progression due to the increase in resolution, and I can easily imagine Ron making similar changes.
    Whether or not CMI was a faithful sequel to the first two games is debatable, but CMI holds its own as a fine example of an adventure game, even if is different to the original two games.
    For that reason, I don't see why anyone shouldn't be allowed to have CMI as their favourite of the Monkey Island games.
  • edited September 2006
    I mentioned loom back on page 4, so no this isn't the first time it has been brought up. =P
  • edited September 2006
    Saying that CMI and EMI are not true Monkey Island games is a slap to the face to two great teams. They are the true sequels because they are the ones that ACTUALLY EXIST. The game wasn't stolen from Ron; he left Lucas on his own accord and had to have known that the series could be continued. (That was his job, you know, to make viable IP for his company to make sequels to, with his involvement or not.) Ron may have envisioned MI as a trilogy and have MI3 in mind, but that doesn't mean you can assume it's better than Monkey 3 or 4 because you don't think they "fit in" with the "real" MI story. Be honest: You wouldn't question Part 3 and 4's credibility if you didn't know about the team change.
  • edited September 2006
    Hehe, I expected such a reaction! :)
    What I haven't explained is that I like CMI and EMI if considered as self-conclusive stories inspired by the M.I. universe (actually I played'em billions of times).
    My disappointment comes out only when I see them as sequels.
    I'd buy even a "Guybrush goes to space" game, to tell the truth. But I can't accept them as sequels, just as good tales superbly developed by a great team.
    You wouldn't question Part 3 and 4's credibility if you didn't know about the team change.
    You can see that EMI just doesn't fit when you listen to Herman's incredible story. In fact, during the travel in MI1, you can read the diary and see that his real name was actually Herman Toothrot.
    The graphics changes were a necessary progression due to the increase in resolution, and I can easily imagine Ron making similar changes.
    Graphics changes were necessary, of course!
    But in CMI Guybrush looks more like Bernard then like the man we knew.
    Perhaps a more George-Stobbart-like look would have been more appropriate. And I'm not a Broken Sword die hard fan.
    Really, I'm not.
  • edited September 2006
    Graphics changes were necessary, of course!
    But in CMI Guybrush looks more like Bernard then like the man we knew.
    Perhaps a more George-Stobbart-like look would have been more appropriate. And I'm not a Broken Sword die hard fan.
    Really, I'm not.
    Perhaps, perhaps not. Many people are happy with the style it did use. But everyone's entitled to their own opinion.
  • edited September 2006
    They are sequels and of course you don't have to like them, but you really can't use the fact that Ron had a different idea to justify any problems you may have had with them.

The Herman Toothrot backstory has a ridiculously complicated solution but I'm not about to go into it. Besides which, a plot hole would not be a result of being oblivious to the story but simply of sloppy writing.

Who's to say Ron's MI3 wouldn't have looked just as cartoony? Weren't his comments on the look positive? Do you see what I mean? You're acting like you know what Ron Gilbert's version would have looked like. Because the CMI art style wasn't 100% what you wanted, it's easy enough to assume that the version that exists only in someone else's head would have been exactly what you wanted. CMI can only be judged on his own merits.
  • edited September 2006
    Well, we could speak about this forever and still keeping our opinions steady.
    De gustibus, too bad for the Herman "plot hole", it totally changes the story and it's based on a mistake.
    I respect everyone's opinion, anyway.
  • edited September 2006
    I really liked CMI.

Anyone disagreeing with me are entitled to be wrong.
  • edited September 2006
    I really liked CMI.

Anyone disagreeing with me are entitled to be wrong.
    Yeah, whatever.
  • edited September 2006
    :-/ Come on, it was just a joke.

It's not like these conversations are that serious. :)
  • edited September 2006
    Someone brought up Grim Fandango a while back, and the scenario that has played through my head over and over has been "What was Manny like when he was alive?"

I keep imagining a Grim Fandango prequel.

I know it's something of a stretch, but whenever someone mentions adventure game sequels, it just pops in there.
  • edited September 2006
    Honestly, I really liked CMI. Hell, I've only just finished replaying it for the 14th time! But somehow it just doesn't seem like the next game that the previous games were leading up to. It's not to say it's a bad game (In fact, it's definitely one of my favourite games ever) but it's just not really the true continuation in the series if you know what I'm saying. It sort of feels like there's something missing in the whole timeline. And yes, I'm perfectly aware we don't know how Guybrush escaped from Big Whoop but that's not it.

EMI was pretty so-so. On the other hand, it's the first game I played that actually got me interested in gaming! I still remember buying it and thinking "Hey Pirates. Cool. And it looks like the same sort of thing as The Carmen Sandiego games" and so started down the slippery path to adventure gaming geekdom.

A sequel to Loom would be cool. Unfortunately just about no-one would buy it apart from those who've played the first game. And still remember it. That's like 5000 people. Possibly less. :p

I think all the goodness of Manny Calavera in GF came from his shady past. Revealing what he did, although pretty interesting would sort of ruin his character I think. Maybe not. Who knows.

I remember starting a pretty big topic about abandonware back when I first joined. Basically everyone just pulled out definitions of Abandonware and told everyone else that they were wrong. I felt pretty proud of that. :D
  • edited September 2006
    :-/ Come on, it was just a joke.

It's not like these conversations are that serious. :)

Ahahah, no problem :))
    I just forgot to put a smiley in my last post!
    Anyway, I knew this was a HOT, BOILING thread ;)
  • edited September 2006
    Mr IronCladChicken, no offense or anything but there's an edit button down there for extending your posts if need be so you can easily fit three posts made one after the other into one post. Normally I wouldn't really care but someone told me to do the same thing as I'm now telling you once and I'm still snipey about it so now I go out of my way to tell people and generally be a bastard. I'm quite good at it. Being a bastard and all. Great fun.

Sorry Pvt._Public!
  • edited September 2006
    Didn’t mean to offend!
  • edited September 2006
    [>:)]
  • edited September 2006
    I think GRIM FANDANGO never sold a lot because CD-WRITER'S became popular around the same time it was released. I'm sad to say.
  • edited September 2006
    I don't think that was the case.
  • edited September 2006
    How many copies did Grim sell anyway? Was it really that bad as people say?
  • edited September 2006
    Not according to Tim Schafer who says the game "sold pretty well" and "made money" and that he "got a royalty check from it."

Maybe the exaggerated reports of Grim's sales were based off the belief that the game didn't sell as well as hoped, or people were just looking for more ways to prove that adventure games were dead.
  • edited September 2006
    aah_man_web_1.gif

I knew it was too good to be true.
  • edited September 2006
    I think graphic adventures are victims of a conspiracy. Damn Ward.
  • edited September 2006
    I remember when I got grim fandango there was a mail away for a free copy of full throttle...
    yes grim was the last in a great era of adventure games....
    monkey 4 was mediocre in comparison and it felt more like an attempt to squeeze all the money they could out of the franchise.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.