LucasArts/Telltale - When dreams come true

13»

Comments

• edited September 2006
    Ah, yeah.. Loom.
  • edited October 2006
    Here's my wishlist ;) :

- Monkey Island 3a: The Secret Revealed Or Your Money Back (hiring Ron, of course ;) )
    - Maniac Mansion 3
    - Zak 2
    - Loom 2 (I loved it! And the story begs for a sequel.)
    - Full Throttle 2
    - anything with a Rubber Chicken With A Pulley In The Middle in it :))
  • edited October 2006
    ... and since we're dreaming, let's exaggerate:

Another World 2, hiring monsieur Chahi :D

(I think it's "Out of this World" for you on the other side of the Atlantic ;) )
  • edited October 2006
    It's been a long while since I've played "Loom", but I think I enjoyed "The Dig" more. In fact "The Dig" was the only adventure game that somewhat touched me emotionally, probably because of its out-of-this-world atmosphere. It's not the best LA adventure, by any means, but I liked it.

To me "Day of the Tentacle" is - besides "Monkey Island 2" - still ranking as the BEST adventure game ever made. What I liked about "Zak McKracken" was mainly it's epic feeling, with all the travelling (even more than Indy, since Zak was more of a regular guy). The only modern adventure game that managed to give this feeling again was the newly released "Secret File: Tunguska".

The difficulty with a "Maniac Mansion 3" would be to get away from the mansion. After all that's the (sub)title of both games, and getting the mansion out of the story would mean getting rid of the Edisons. On the other hand you can't have stories concering the mansion all the time, so this would be a little tricky.
  • edited October 2006
    It's been a long while since I've played "Loom", but I think I enjoyed "The Dig" more. In fact "The Dig" was the only adventure game that somewhat touched me emotionally, probably because of its out-of-this-world atmosphere. It's not the best LA adventure, by any means, but I liked it.
    Many adventure games have touched me emotionally, but one of the most haunting moments was when I replayed The Dig not long ago. Out of curiosity, I revived Maggie to see what happened. Man, that was shocking. And then she got angry at the end as well.
    I don't think I've got the nerve to ever try that again.
  • edited October 2006
    While I would love a sequel to almost any LucasArts adventure game, I think what I would like most is to get a new game from the classic LucasArts game creators.

We already have pirates, the dead, a biker, teenagers, aliens, etc... What don't we have now that is so cool it just demands a video game?

The only thing I can think of is a humorous adventure game involving ninjas. Yes, I would buy that.
  • edited October 2006
    Derwin wrote: »
    While I would love a sequel to almost any LucasArts adventure game, I think what I would like most is to get a new game from the classic LucasArts game creators.

We already have pirates, the dead, a biker, teenagers, aliens, etc... What don't we have now that is so cool it just demands a video game?

Satan's minions, perhaps? :D
  • edited October 2006
    I really think that Pixar, which also happens to be a Lucas spin-off, has been really creative in coming up with such ideas--just look at what they've come out with: zany stories involving toys, superheroes, fish, bugs, cars, and monsters. Really out-of-the-box stuff... Heck even Sam & Max creator Steve Purcell is working for them.

So, the zany ideas that would make for a good movie in their works probably would work as ideas for games as well.
  • The "real" Monkey Island 3 would be relly awsome to see but to make that u need Ron Gilbert and i doubt someone will get him to work on that... and thats too bad :(

A Monkey Island 5 would only make the serie look bad (like Monkey Island 4 but worse). Maybe a chanse of succes if they get someone like Tim Schafer to work on it...

Grim Fandango is already the perfect game and i cant really so how the story would be able to continue on that one.

And that leaves Maniac Mansion as the only one with a chanse of succes.. It has great characters that woulde be lovely to see in a new adventuregame and in one way or another the story can get a good continue.

But instead of followups to these games i think it would be best if the "New super adventure game" would be a whole new story instead of a continue on an old one... But thats just my opinion ;)
  • edited October 2006
    Grim Fandango is already the perfect game and i cant really so how the story would be able to continue on that one.

I guess Manny could get 'pulled' out of heaven by an unknown bad guy, the land of the dead is collapsing and people are getting murdered - & it's up to him to reluctantly solve the murders, save the citizens, get back into heaven and generally save the day?... Or some nonsense like that; I guess if they wanted to make a sequel, theres always a way?
  • edited October 2006
    Oilers99 wrote: »
    Satan's minions, perhaps? :D

Actually... yes!!! Playing as seemingly insignificant little demons could be great fun, and could lead to some humorous situations. I like it!
  • edited October 2006
    jannar85 wrote: »
    My vote goes to MM3. The last thing I want to see now, is another MI-copy. I got tired of EMI.

If the licence ever goes to Ron, then sure, bring it on!:)

I've actually talked to him about this. He says Lucas Arts won't loosen their grubby hands enough to give him back the license. He's a pretty unhappy guy honestly. I had initially wondered why companies like Autumn Moon and TellTale hadn't hired him, but now I can kind of understand. He seems to me to be a fairly bitter kind of guy. Take the Lucas Arts MI problem and then combine it with him having major difficulty finding someone to publish his other ideas and I guess that can happen.

I liked the entire Monkey Island Series. Including 3 and 4. They weren't on the same level as the first two (Basically due to the writing.) And I hated the Monkey Kombat "puzzle". But they were still good none the less.

What really gets me about adventure games these days is the writing/dialogue or lack of it. Most of the stuff just isn't funny. It's like everyone focuses on the graphics and gaming engine, but the dialogue always feels like it was just "tossed" in there at the last minute.

There's plenty of themes open to Adventure games, including another Pirate's title, it's the writing that needs to be recaptured like it used to be, but I guess that may never happen now.

Adventure games will always have a special place in my heart. They remind of me things like Christmas, and Family, and Fun, but there has been no adventure game to rival that of the old lucas arts stuff (with the exception of Loom and the Dig. Those two were my least favorite titles, with Full Throttle coming a close third.) And I think mostly it's due to the writing. Since those games were done, other games have been either able to capture the DETAIL, the WIT, or the DIALOGUE, but never all three.

The New and Improved Lucas Arts is just a joke now though. The same week the new "president" killed all of the old projects, he said he wanted to get back to the gaming company's roots (yet he had just killed all the new adventure game projects they were in the process of making.) Then they went and fired all of their adventure team designers in favor of producing more lackluster and boring star wars games.

Lucas Arts hasn't had an original idea since they quit making adventure games. Their Battlefront games were cheap knockoff's of Battlefield 1942, their Jedi Outcast games were cheap copies of (insert first person shooter of your choice here.) For their KOTOR games they had to go outside of Lucas Arts (Bioware).... Then there's THRILL VILLE. Which is basically a cheap knockoff of a cheap knockoff (and not even a new one. As those roller coaster games/railroad games have been around for ages.) Then of course we can't forget the Age of Empires knockoffs (I can't even remember the name of this one.) And of course there is the biggest money loser of all time, Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Laughed At, produced by Sony Online Entertainment for a whopping estimated $30,000,000.00 (Or, about 30 times the budget of the Blair Witch project, an ACTUAL movie. heh.) (SOE hasn't made money since the original Ever Quest, which was basically a 3d knock off of Ultima Online.) If George Lucas Didn't have his head so far up his butt, he might just take time to be appalled at how his gaming company hasn't had an original idea in over a decade, and he might not wonder so much why the company hasn't done so well either.

Lucas Arts used to be a pioneer in the gaming industry, they were the ones that inspired lesser game companies to make cheap knock off's of THEIR stuff. Now they ARE the cheap knock off producer. The Talent that Lucas Arts used to have is long gone, and I just wish they would get it over with and auction off their adventure game licenses to game companies that will do them justice.
  • Originally Posted by DaEvilZombiePirateLeChuck
    I guess Manny could get 'pulled' out of heaven by an unknown bad guy, the land of the dead is collapsing and people are getting murdered - & it's up to him to reluctantly solve the murders, save the citizens, get back into heaven and generally save the day?... Or some nonsense like that; I guess if they wanted to make a sequel, theres always a way?

Ok i agree that there is always a way if you want to but i'm gonna rewrite my text a little...

Grim Fandango is already the perfect game and I can't see how the story will be able to continue inn a good game that does not destroy the great story the game already have.

That's why i think they should try a new Maniac Mansion instead of a Grim Fandango of they get the chanse
  • edited November 2006
    Ok i agree that there is always a way if you want to but i'm gonna rewrite my text a little...

Grim Fandango is already the perfect game and I can't see how the story will be able to continue inn a good game that does not destroy the great story the game already have.

That's why i think they should try a new Maniac Mansion instead of a Grim Fandango of they get the chanse

Basically you're saying what I said earlier, don't pull an MI4. Grim Fandango 2 could be done, sure, but it'd be forced. It's remembered as a perfect game. Don't ruin it by forcing a sequel out of it. MI4 was not a labour of love like the previous games. It felt more like Lucasarts churning out another Monkey Island game simply because they could, not because they wanted to.
  • edited November 2006
    I'd really like to see another Monkey Island game, however I'd much rather prefer it in the cartoony style of Curse of Monkey Island. That game, is visually and audibly my favorite adventure game I have played. The writing in that game has some great moments (how can you beat the dialogues between Murray and Guybrush, cmon?)

Guybrush Threepwood: How can you see without eyeballs?
    Murray: How can you walk around without a brain? Some things no one can answer.

Although I may be biased because I have never tried the first two MI games (im guesing i will probably get flack for that). Full Throttle was a fun game too though it didn't have the lasting effect that Monkey island had on me over the years.

My vote is for Monkey Island - and I will share with you this comic as another bid for remake (and a shameless plug).

http://www.geeklikeme.net/dotcomic

Vin
    www.geeklikeme.net
  • edited November 2006
    Derwin wrote: »
    Actually... yes!!! Playing as seemingly insignificant little demons could be great fun, and could lead to some humorous situations. I like it!

Close, but I had something slightly different in mind. Yes, they'd be similar in purpose and position, but they wouldn't be "demons", per se; merely ordinary humans who are enslaved to Satan. Similar potential for comedy, more potential for examining human character.

This is actually a rather shameless plug for my design, Macabre. I think the world it allows for is definitely intriguing, and could be populated by all manner of delightful badness.
  • edited November 2006
    Grim Fandango 2 could work, but I don't think it should focus on Manny. Manny's story is fully explored, but the Land of the Dead... not so much. It's such a lovely, rich world that I would love to see another game set there. It could use some of the same characters as Grim Fandango, the ones who remained in the Land of the Dead, but it would feature an entirely new cast.

It's still not necessary. It's better to see some genuine originals come out.
  • edited November 2006
    I saw an interview about 6 months back where the head of Lucasarts had plans to start 're-making' those point and click games, in about 8 years time when they'd finished making more Star Wars game.

Wtf.. I can't remember where I saw it aswell.
  • edited November 2006
    Roll on 2015...

New MI games equivalent to Bewitched, Hazzard movies.

I don't think you should be taking Jim Ward quite so literally.
  • edited November 2006
    Haha - thanks anyway. Yeah I couldn't see it happening anyway.
  • edited December 2006
    I'm saying Monkey Island. It has a great potential since it still has a story that needs an end. We need Ron Gilbert. I would just ignore the last two games CMI and EMI but I would keep one thing from those games, the voice actors I think they fit the parts completly. If Lucasarts does happen to make a MI in 2015 they have to include Mr Gilbert.
  • edited December 2006
    I would be over joyed to see a Day Of the Tentacle 2. I purchsed the game back in '94 and still play DOTT to this day. I actually played it through just the other day so a friend could experience the joy. I forgot just how much laughing you do the first time through. That isn't to say I don't still chuckle at jokes on the 30th play through.

God I hate that clown. He just laughs and laughs. ;)
  • edited January 2007
    That would be Monkey Island for me. I liked MI 3, and even Ron Gilbert appraised it. He didn't comment about number 4 though :O. Guess he didn't want to say it in the face. Anyways, I hate to ignore MI 3 and lovely Murry :). But they have to get Ron to finish the story this time and reveal the secret of monkey island. Man, some fans died out there without a clue what it is!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.