The Vent/Help Thread

Comments

• Dex-StarrDex-Starr Banned
    edited October 2018

cough coughI actually said I was going to make this joke but she went in and made it before me, so technically these 11 likes are minecough

MrGraffio posted: »

this is so sad can we hit 50 likes

• hmmm
    i see

Dex-Starr posted: »

cough coughI actually said I was going to make this joke but she went in and made it before me, so technically these 11 likes are minecough

• Being a jokester or troll doesn't define you, and neither does your depression. You got guts, and that makes you a lot stronger over your problems than humor ever could, even if it doesn't seem like it now. Failure isn't a bottomless pit, it's an educational setback, maybe even a bumper to keep you on your destiny. It's a journey, and failure and success will never be a black and white switch. You'll have to work through several layers of grey to get to where you want to, but even then your place in this world doesn't need justifying through success; you make an impact in people's lives everyday no matter how small.

Many of the issues you listed need a constant and effective support system to provide true growth. We can point you in the right direction, and @WarpSpeed did a good job at that, but a solid and empathic support network that is willing to work through your problems with you is needed to make sure you don't trail off (and that's a human thing to do.) Therapy helps, but you need to find the right compatibility. Don't assume just because they are a professional that you have to internalize everything they say; each one has a different approach and it's important to find the right one that fits your temperament. This is for you, not your family, and as their son and brother the problems you share with them are their problems, and if they aren't treating it like it is then they aren't doing their responsibility right, and you don't have to accept it.

You're not a victim. Ships collide going down their different paths, people naturally turn on each other due to differing ideals and personalities, and assholes are desperately climbing over people trying to escape the same pit you're trying to. Evil is only full of confused children throwing a tantrum and people too hollow to comprehend good. That corruption exists but it doesn't define humanity, much like how a tumor doesn't define a cancer patient. Just because it may have rotten apples doesn't make it a rotten apple tree, and I hope you'll come to realize that those rotten apples only need to be discarded; they don't ruin the whole tree.

Melton23 posted: »

Guess it’s time to do something I’ve never really had the guts to do, express my emotions ? I try to play this off as a bit of a jokester or

• ????

hmmm i see

• Have you seen a doctor? it sounds like you have anxiety, when I got my diagnosis it made me feel a little better because I knew it wasn't just me, lots of people suffer with it (including girls cuz I am one). Medication can really help, there's no shame in taking meds.

Guess it’s time to do something I’ve never really had the guts to do, express my emotions ? I try to play this off as a bit of a jokester or

• I have not seen a doctor, I’m just too stubborn, but I think I do have a bit of anxiety. I don’t even get bullied irl or anything, quite a lot of people like me (I think) or are at least think I’m ok enough to leave me alone, but when I have too many problems to deal with at once I feel absolutely dreadful. I also have social anxiety, I’m very bad in social situations, like completely awful, I stutter all over the place, and the only way I can get way words out instantaneously is by typing or writing it up, so that’s another awful thing that I’m forced to deal with.

However, last night I felt a little better than I have in a while because one of my friend’s reached out to me and told me about his date that he is going on tomorrow and asked me, of all people, for advice, and that got me a little excited for some reason, because now I’m assuming that hopefully he can help me meet a girl, which I’m also dreadful at doing actually, another reason for my misery... idk, I might try some mediation, all that hipster ship see if that works ? maybe I’ll go to a spa, relax my muscles, look for inspiration, draw some things.

Thanks everyone, for the responses by the way. It means a lot to me.

Have you seen a doctor? it sounds like you have anxiety, when I got my diagnosis it made me feel a little better because I knew it wasn't ju

• I said medication but meditation sounds like a great idea. There are foods that are meant to help with anxiety, like turmeric, some special Chinese or Indian teas like yogi tea.

Being around animals or in nature is really helpful for me, so is music. I used to exclusively listen to hardcore punk, heavy metal and industrial music but more recently I've been listening to synthwave and its nice and soothing, especially gunships black sun on the horizon. There's a band called eldamar that are inspired by lord of the rings, there music is really relaxing to me.

I have not seen a doctor, I’m just too stubborn, but I think I do have a bit of anxiety. I don’t even get bullied irl or anything, quite a l

• Yeah, Ik you said medication. That was my quirky side trying to get out.
    Nature sounds like a good idea, I might start going through the woods near my school on my free periods while listening to some of the good ol’ 60’s, 70’s and 80’s classics. Maybe that’ll help ease my mind. Thanks for the advice.

I said medication but meditation sounds like a great idea. There are foods that are meant to help with anxiety, like turmeric, some special

• Be careful with how you approach medication though. They're supplements meant to help build your mind up to tackle the crux of the problem. The goal is to use the enhanced mood to help establish solutions and peace of mind towards the problems weighing you down so you have to depend on meds as little as possible. A solid support system and learning strong coping strategies is what's really needed, medication can just help you achieve those things. There's no shame in taking them either. Your happiness comes before being strong, sometimes literally; you have to come to peace of mind to have true strength of character.

Yeah, Ik you said medication. That was my quirky side trying to get out. Nature sounds like a good idea, I might start going through the wo

• I'm sorry but what? Are you seriously saying that mental health medications are "supplements"? Because that is incorrect and it's harmful if you're actually claiming that, considering all the people who will possibly read this. Some mental illnesses are caused by chemical imbalances that do actually require medication. And not everyone has proper support systems, you can't just assume that. I know you probably meant your answer only for this one case, but the negativity towards medication is clear. Please don't do this..

Cocoa2736 posted: »

Be careful with how you approach medication though. They're supplements meant to help build your mind up to tackle the crux of the problem.

• It is a supplement. You have a deficiency of active chemicals in your brain, the pill works to supply them. It also is a chemical imbalance, and of course with illnesses like schizophrenia medication is absolutely the main solution, but with depression those imbalances are most often caused by triggers and stressors that might seem impossible to fix, and those need to be worked through so the brain can eventually balance itself without medication. I guess I thought my wording would imply this was targeted towards general depression/anxiety disorders, I should've been more clear. I didn't assume everyone had a good support system, I said it was vital and people should seek to build ones that are solid and try to repair/discard the ones that are dysfunctional.

Sorry if I worried you.

lilsnek posted: »

I'm sorry but what? Are you seriously saying that mental health medications are "supplements"? Because that is incorrect and it's harmful if

• Depression has nothing to do with triggers.. ptsd has triggers, not depression. Depression may have many causes but nothing you just said makes sense. Balance itself without medication? Clinical depression doesn't vanish on it's own. It needs medication, just as anxiety does. This wasn't personal at all, the problem was/is misinformation in your comments.

Cocoa2736 posted: »

It is a supplement. You have a deficiency of active chemicals in your brain, the pill works to supply them. It also is a chemical imbalance,

• edited October 2018

Your mood always has triggers.
    Those causes are what have to be addressed, medication solves the imbalance which helps in addresssing those problems that are sapping energy and mood. Medication is important, but it's not as important as counselling and self-discovery.

Yes, the goal of treatment is for the mind to achieve a state of balance on it's own. It's not always feasible, but that's the end goal, and it's okay if it's not reached. Medication is a crutch, there is no negative connotation behind that, but the goal is that the crutch will aid healing and the victim will eventually be able to walk on their own, but it's not some shameful thing if that's not possible.

It doesn't vanish, you always have to maintain that balance, and medication helps, but it's still up to the ones with the illness to find out how that balance can continue to be maintained. There's nothing against medicine, I just place more importance in what I believe to be the roots of depression. If they are none, medication will help, but it's always worth checking for those roots anyways.

Depression has nothing to do with triggers.. ptsd has triggers, not depression. Depression may have many causes but nothing you just said ma

• Hey, fellas, how about we come to an agreement? Anti-depression medication can help ease mental pain, though they should be a last resort, or near enough to a last resort, and shouldn’t be taken too often, just in case all else fails. This work for everyone? ?

Depression has nothing to do with triggers.. ptsd has triggers, not depression. Depression may have many causes but nothing you just said ma

• Sure, the best course of treatment is of course coupled with counselling and medication, the roots of the problem need to be addressed in order to heal. I realise I came off as rude and I apologize for that. There's just too much shaming and negativity towards taking mental health medications when they are life saving for many people. With professional care it's a safe option and the goal of course is to reach a state where medication isn't needed anymore, it helps you on your journey to recovery. Some may need it for a long time or even for the rest of their lives, whatever helps you stay alive and/or feel better. ? I want to end this on a positive note so let's just say that there is a way for everyone to heal, whatever way that may be. ?

• Well put ?

Sure, the best course of treatment is of course coupled with counselling and medication, the roots of the problem need to be addressed in or

• edited October 2018

It's okay. We both have the same feelings towards mental health treatment, just with differing priorities we place on it. I want to promote stabilizing through changes in lifestyle while medication assists in achieving that. That's the angle I'm going towards, but that doesn't mean medicine can't help on it's own. I don't have anything against medication, I just like to hope people can heal to the point where they can get out of their wheelchairs and stand on their own feet, but that's not always possible and there's no shame in that.

I agree, there is a way everyone can heal and I want to see it happen :smile:

Sure, the best course of treatment is of course coupled with counselling and medication, the roots of the problem need to be addressed in or

• I look up at the ceiling, but my eyes don't want to accept that there's no way to see past it, let alone see past the limitations of my own consciousness.

Reality is a frightening and hostile monstrosity when you live on the wrong side of its tracks. It's not a behemoth out to devour you; it latched it's claws onto you the moment your soul was conceived. You're swarmed in it, drowning in it; gasping for something lighter than air.

But maybe... Maybe I'm not suffocating, and the air I breathe just isn't pure enough to satisfy me. I feel the lightning people strike at each other, as if trying to play god of their own worlds. I feel my grip tightening; the shock constantly and relentlessly jolting through my veins, boiling my blood from the overwhelming energy.

Riptides will roar waves of virtue and wash the filth and debris up on to the shore; toppling titans that have decided to distill the calm seas for their own agendas, carelessly rippling discord in their wake. Water itself cannot wield malice, only the true status quo, and I hope that I'll that someday it'll achieve the stillness it craves so it can teach me to move as it does.

• it takes a lotttt to get kicked out of school..

• doctor is def a good idea. i don't see why ppl treat psychics any differently from regular doctors. like if you had some crippling physical pain that stopped you from functioning properly you'd go get it checked out. so why not do the same with mental issues.

Have you seen a doctor? it sounds like you have anxiety, when I got my diagnosis it made me feel a little better because I knew it wasn't ju

• In my school, if you fail an assignment or coursework you instantly get kicked out

sarahsenpai posted: »

it takes a lotttt to get kicked out of school..

• wtf man. i can see why you're stressed.

In my school, if you fail an assignment or coursework you instantly get kicked out

• Last Saturday, I OD'd on women's laxatives. Instead of taking 1-2, I took 3 of them. No, it wasn't the smartest decision I had ever made, but I mean, it wasn't the worst either. I thought because I'm a guy, i'd have to take more than what's recommended because they were for women. I thought they weren't going to work either because it had been some many hours after I took them without having to go, and went to bed. I was having one of those moments of sleep that's all calm and peaceful, but those laxatives woke me right tf up. Never in my 21 years of life have I ever ran so fast to the bathroom until that moment. I don't wanna get all descriptive or anything on how it went, but.........

I felt like melted ice cream was pouring out of my ass ??. I didn't even have to push or anything. It just fell or poured right out. Idk why but I felt so gay :D

This went on for all of saturday and sunday.
    I don't think this is something I'll ever do again. Aaaaaand there you have it :/

• Fuck off, Alcohol. I just spent the last hour groaning and yelling like an infected from TLOU. Can it just be over?

• edited October 2018

Sometimes if you’re close enough to passing, you get a 2nd chance, but if you fail the resubmission then that’s it. What’s even worse is that I get them every week or so, so I don’t have any breaks.

Regarding the magazine that I have to make, which is due in a week before Christmas, I went out somewhere to get some pictures of sports cars, but I can’t figure out how to make a magazine out of it, and I’m not a fan of the camera angles, so I asked my friend if I can do a magazine on his art work instead, meaning I have to start from square one after working on this for nearly a year now.

wtf man. i can see why you're stressed.

• Edit: It's over. Still can sleep yet, but the worst of it is over.

Fuck off, Alcohol. I just spent the last hour groaning and yelling like an infected from TLOU. Can it just be over?

• How many times have I read this? Do you by any chance have a drinking problem?

Fuck off, Alcohol. I just spent the last hour groaning and yelling like an infected from TLOU. Can it just be over?

• Nah, maybe just a problem with overindulgence, like with everything else I consume. My work schedule only allows me to drink at the most 2 times a week. I'm probably just more verbal about it than other people. Don't worry, the giddiness I get when I drink will probably wear off soon and I'll stop announcing it to everyone I come opon.

Ghetsis posted: »

How many times have I read this? Do you by any chance have a drinking problem?

• do you go to like some private school for arts or whatever? seems kinda harsh. that project actually sounds p easy tho. ofc idk all the details and how many pages its supposed to be and stuff like that, but it can probs be done in like a week of cramming. just load up on adderall and get it done.

Sometimes if you’re close enough to passing, you get a 2nd chance, but if you fail the resubmission then that’s it. What’s even worse is tha

• Nope, I go to a sixth form, just a regular one wher you can choose whatever subject you want. However, even though the project sounds easy, you need to add all of the requirements into it, it needs to be 500 words exactly and I’m having trouble deciding what design I want to go with. It’s basically a matter of me wanting to get the highest score in the class, or at least a high score, seeing as I am in a class of pure geniuses and my knowledge is just mediocre.

do you go to like some private school for arts or whatever? seems kinda harsh. that project actually sounds p easy tho. ofc idk all the deta

• I've been wanting to go back to college, but making 36 to 40 bucks an hours in a construction trade hard to leave. Granted it only part time with longer jobs lasting anywhere from 12 weeks to a few years at most it's not a bad gig. The only down fall is I live out of a suitcase. Idk I guess I'll just stick to what I know for now.

• You can go to most colleges part time for a reduced tuition rate (you probably won't get any financial aid, though), and there are also schools for working adults, depending on what you want to study. If you're happy in construction, though, it sounds like you're doing pretty well!

Ruger_556 posted: »

I've been wanting to go back to college, but making 36 to 40 bucks an hours in a construction trade hard to leave. Granted it only part time

• I still don't know yet; I'll always have something to fall back on. It's a good union career, but I don't know if it's something I wanna do for the rest of my life. I guess it's something I'll have to figure out on my own. Like old Forrest Gump's mama said "life is like a box of chocolates; never know what you're gonna get."

WarpSpeed posted: »

You can go to most colleges part time for a reduced tuition rate (you probably won't get any financial aid, though), and there are also scho

• I'm drunk off my ass. If I say something that doesn't make sense or offended anyone, I'm sorry ?

• Dex-StarrDex-Starr Banned
    edited November 2018

I've never been drunk before because I never used to drink, but when I went overseas in september, I guess I drank a lot. Mostly rum. I wasn't drunk or anything, but I was pretty buzzed on the beach. I remember just walking on the sand,legs feeling a little heavy, and the water was getting real close and it was funny to me. Normally I wouldn't have gotten as close as I did, but atm I didn't give a fuck. It felt good. 10/10.

• I hate it when people post pictures of their guns up on social media. I don't have a problem with gun ownership; hell I have a few firearms myself.

I keep most of em locked up in a cabinet, and the couple I leave out for the off chance someone does try to break in. I mean really; it makes you look bad.

• i totally had to google wtf sixth form is. i guess its like high school but not really. irregardless 500 words ain't much. don't worry about getting the highest grade. aim low and you'll never be disappointed. or don't bother aiming at all and do whatever you feel like.
    i am such a good influence wow

Nope, I go to a sixth form, just a regular one wher you can choose whatever subject you want. However, even though the project sounds easy,

• I honestly have no idea whether it counts as high school or not ? wherever you go when you’re 16-18 is sixth form anyway. Handed in that business assignment yesterday after the teacher told us to do it wrong the first time, and everyone was shitting themselves because technically we wouldn’t have a second chance at doing it seeing as how we got given the wrong assignment the first time, meaning if I fail this then I fail it all. Yippee ?

Aim low and you’ll never be disappointed

Was that half a Mark Hamill twitter bio quote or just a coinkydink?

i totally had to google wtf sixth form is. i guess its like high school but not really. irregardless 500 words ain't much. don't worry about

• no idea where that quote came from but i'm sure i seen it somewhere.

the teacher told us to do it wrong

that should be easy.

I honestly have no idea whether it counts as high school or not ? wherever you go when you’re 16-18 is sixth form anyway. Handed in that bus

• edited November 2018

Man, college is stressful af. I take online courses for now and the amount of I work I have to do is tiresome. Plus, it’s one of those private universities so it’s a lot of money to attend, but I feel like it’s the best college for me to attend to for the career I want to pursue.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.