Live action movie

‘Saw’ and ‘Insidious’ Co-Creator Leigh Whannell In Talks To Make ‘Borderlands’ Movie

The Tracking Board reports that Insidious: Chapter 3 writer-director Leigh Whannell (Saw 1-3, Insidious 1-3) has entered talks with Lionsgate to write and direct an adaptation of the video game Borderlands. Leigh is also an accomplished genre screenwriter and creative partner of James Wan, writing/co-creating the Saw and Insidious franchises with Wan.

Described as a cross between Guardians of the Galaxy and Mad Max, the story depicts a bleak future in which an abandoned mining colony on a distant planet has created a lawless society. When a nearby star’s gravitational pull unearths horrifying alien creatures hidden deep below the surface, the surviving colonists retreat to a vault rumored to contain advanced alien technology.

Source

So I know it's too soon to get excited and this is probably never going to happen (or maybe it is, given the success of Mad Max?) but I thought it'd be fun to discuss with you guys, how would you feel about a movie? Who would you cast for a TFTBL live action film?

Comments

• edited May 2015

I think a live action film would be freaking awesome, if done right. The description sounded fine, until the last sentence.

When a nearby star’s gravitational pull unearths horrifying alien creatures hidden deep below the surface, the surviving colonists retreat to a vault rumored to contain advanced alien technology.

I've never played the first Borderlands, but I'm 99% sure that's absolutely wrong right there. There aren't any aliens running around on Pandora. Sounds like they're trying to turn it into a survival film rather than a treasure hunting film.

Do it right, or don't do it at all. And if you do it, work closely with Gearbox.

Edit- Oh, but if there ever is a BL2 movie, Dameon Clarke absolutely must play Handsome Jack. His voice and personality makes the character. He's also got plenty experience with live action and he's certainly handsome enough for the role. :P

• If it was given a go ahead. God help us that is does not turn around the way halo did. Halo live action movie? Almost there. Years later. Out of the blue came district 9.

• Totally agree - of course I'd love a live-action movie, but I'd be worried that it may not do justice to the source material if it was poorly made.

Deadpoolian posted: »

I think a live action film would be freaking awesome, if done right. The description sounded fine, until the last sentence. When a nea

• Marcus. If this isn't Marcus then i am going down there and will knock some people around.

Alt text

• Absolutely, Jack wouldn't be Jack if not for Dameon..! And without Jack there'd be no Borderlands...

I think a live action film would be freaking awesome, if done right. The description sounded fine, until the last sentence. When a nea

• I probably won't watch it if Dameon doesn't play Jack. Okay, I will watch it, but I won't enjoy it. Okay maybe I will enjoy it if it's well done but still can't be 10/10 if Dameon isn't there. Anyway, cool news.

Absolutely, Jack wouldn't be Jack if not for Dameon..! And without Jack there'd be no Borderlands...

• Techinically the monsters on pandora are aliens by our standards

• John goodman looks like he'd be a good marcus in that pic

Marcus. If this isn't Marcus then i am going down there and will knock some people around.

• Dameon looks a lot like Jack... So yes! The case's locked. Now we need to figure out other characters. Not really sure what you guys think, but I kinda see Troy Baker in Rhys. Not to mention the sock-thing and how well he plays Rhys with his voice, but yeah. Seeing him acting as Rhys would be just perfect. But Baker's not that necessary. I would gladly watch some other actor too.

Unfortunately, I'm not that familiar with American actors and the ones I know, just don't fit any of the characters (my opinion). So I'm just stalking here and googling people you come up with.

• Oh my god, yes! That's perfect.

Marcus. If this isn't Marcus then i am going down there and will knock some people around.

• I genuinely can't decide how I feel about this...

Normally I'd say more Borderlands = more awesomeness, but I just don't know if the game can translate to the big screen (especially for a mainstream audience). All that wonderful dark, quirky humour that crops up not only in the main plot but also in the most obscure sidequests would be so difficult to capture, let alone the amazing characterisation of inherently (yet unapologetically) flawed/moral-less people. Also, there's a huge difference if it's based exclusively on the first game, as opposed to the second (or even some weird amalgamation of all three) - there's just too many things up in the air at the moment.

(The only thing I am certain of, however, is that if it features Jack - IT HAS TO BE DAMEON CLARKE - HE IS JACK!!!)

It's also worth noting that Lionsgate is the company who recently invested in Telltale, so could you imagine them using their supershow format for it (or at least a tie-in game)? More Telltale + Borderlands = a resounding 'hell yes'!

• So it'd be Prometheus mixed with Pitch Black then?

Weird.

First game's concept is basically Raiders of the Lost Ark mixed with Mad Max. Not a very difficult mix, I'd think.

• edited November 2015

My Dream Cast:

Roland: Idris Elba/
    Lilith: Milla Jovovich/
    Axion: Jake Gyllenhaal/
    Mad Moxxi: Helena Bonham Carter/
    Handsome Jack: Nathan Fillion/
    Marcus: John Goodman/
    Scooter: Charlie Day/
    Ellie: Rebel Wilson/
    Krieg: Jackie Earle Haley/
    Gaige: Chloe Grace Moretz/
    Zer0: Doug Jones/
    Maya: Olivia Wilde/
    Brick: Bautista/
    Sir Hammerlock: Hugh Laurie/
    Torgue: Hulk Hogan/
    Salvador: Luis Guzman/
    The Sheriff: Monica Bellucci/
    Am I missing someone major? Comment if you want to.

• I think the movie should be set around Borderlands 2. It's got most familiar characters and all. Also, Jack HAS to be played by Dameon Clarke. The voice and persona cannot be replicated by anyone else. He is Handsome Jack and always will be.
    He could totally pull it off.

• 100% agree. I remember a few people were saying it should be Ryan Reynolds and just NO. Dameon Clarke is Handsome Jack and it would be weird for anyone else to play him.

I think the movie should be set around Borderlands 2. It's got most familiar characters and all. Also, Jack HAS to be played by Dameon Clark

• Surprisingly enough I just watched the new Mad Max, (bit late to the party I know), but I didn't think I'd like it but it was actually pretty great. Reminded me of Borderlands like crazy.

I think if they do actually make it, I'd be scared to see how they do it. It would be such a MASSIVE risk. I think sometimes games should be left as games. But a part of me would still be super excited to see if they pulled it off.. like imagine if they pull it off. That would be pretty epic.

• edited November 2015

And if you do it, work closely with Gearbox.

YES. That's what movie makers who make video game movies don't realize. You have to stick to your source material or there's no point in trying.

• No Jack = No watch.

Though is there is Jack, he definitely needs to be played by Dameon Clarke. His voice, his looks, and maybe if he grew out some hair. :)

• I remember a few people were saying it should be Ryan Reynolds

LOL

100% agree. I remember a few people were saying it should be Ryan Reynolds and just NO. Dameon Clarke is Handsome Jack and it would be weird for anyone else to play him.

• If it has to be someone other than Dameon Clarke, then Nathan Fillion. He was the basis for Handsome Jack, I think that's an easy guess...

I think the movie should be set around Borderlands 2. It's got most familiar characters and all. Also, Jack HAS to be played by Dameon Clark

• edited November 2015

‘Saw’ and ‘Insidious’ Co-Creator Leigh Whannell In Talks To Make ‘Borderlands’ Movie

‘Saw’ and ‘Insidious’ Co-Creator Leigh Whannell

‘Saw’ and ‘Insidious’ Co-Creator

‘Saw’ and ‘Insidious’

The fact that the guy behind those 4 pieces of shit and 2 okay movies wants to direct a BORDERLANDS movie, scares the hell out of me. Goodbye, Memories of Borderlands.

• Sounds like they are barely following the original premise, and there is little to no chance of Tales characters making an appearance, but

enter image description here

made me think Aishwarya Rai would be a good Fiona.

• i would rather have borderlands in a animated version it means it sticks to the style of borderlands and all the right voice actors would be in the movie

• I'm afraid about the legal policy stuff, like cutting gory scenes off cause movies cant be that violent.

• I think skin pizza is about the only thing that went above a PG13, that couldn't be easily solved with camera angles and scene transitions. Even then, as long as you didn't get the clear shot of Vasquez's lack of face, you might be able to get away with it.

The censors are actually really supportive of violence. It's stuff like Vaughn's abs you have to look out for :P

VixTrix posted: »

I'm afraid about the legal policy stuff, like cutting gory scenes off cause movies cant be that violent.

• Laura Bailey is Fiona

Linnet posted: »

Sounds like they are barely following the original premise, and there is little to no chance of Tales characters making an appearance, but made me think Aishwarya Rai would be a good Fiona.

• Laura Bailey doesn't even look Fiona!

Laura Bailey is Fiona

• THANK YOU! THAT'S ALMOST EXACTLY WHAT I SAID WHEN I FIRST HEARD THE NEWS (also I'd prefer a show over a movie)

i would rather have borderlands in a animated version it means it sticks to the style of borderlands and all the right voice actors would be in the movie

• enter image description here

papai46 posted: »

Laura Bailey doesn't even look Fiona!

• edited November 2015

Cause goddamn those abs are illegal

I think skin pizza is about the only thing that went above a PG13, that couldn't be easily solved with camera angles and scene transitions.

• like a tv series? that would be awesome

THANK YOU! THAT'S ALMOST EXACTLY WHAT I SAID WHEN I FIRST HEARD THE NEWS (also I'd prefer a show over a movie)

• edited November 2015

There won't BE any Fiona.

This isn't based on Tales, it's based on Borderlands.

Edit: Just re-read your comment, so nevermind that up there, I can only say that that actress doesn't even look close to Fiona.

Sounds like they are barely following the original premise, and there is little to no chance of Tales characters making an appearance, but made me think Aishwarya Rai would be a good Fiona.

• edited November 2015

Don't know what i was thinking!

Not even close!

There won't BE any Fiona. This isn't based on Tales, it's based on Borderlands. Edit: Just re-read your comment, so nevermind that up there, I can only say that that actress doesn't even look close to Fiona.

• edited November 2015

:D

ETA: Can I just say how fantastic it is that I wracked my brain for examples of gratuitous skin, and Vaughn was the only example I could think of?

VixTrix posted: »

Cause goddamn those abs are illegal

• enter image description here

ETA: Can I just say how fantastic it is that I wracked my brain for examples of gratuitous skin, and Vaughn was the only example I could think of?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.