1280 x 1024?

edited August 2007 in Sam & Max
Sam & Max graphics resolutions only seem to go up to 1280 x 960. Is there any way to go up to 1280 x 1024?

Comments

• edited November 2006
    what about 1600 * 1200?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2006
    1280x1024 isnt actually 4:3 aspect ratio so it causes some problems. We're looking to address this in the future but right now the game supports 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x960, 1600x1200.
  • edited November 2006
    very fine!
  • edited November 2006
    Thanks Jake. I'd never done the maths before, and just assumed that because the monitor itself had an aspect ratio of 4:3, the numbers would have a 4:3 ratio.

I wonder why the monitor manufacturers chose those numbers rather than 1280 x 960.

No sarcasm in this post - I really hadn't checked the numbers before. Here's hoping Telltale can address the issue.
  • edited November 2006
    how anyone can release a pc game in this day and age without the LCD native resolution as an option is beyond me!!
  • edited November 2006
    Oh crap, is it going to be messed up and stretched on my 16:10 widescreen laptop? What about 1280x768 or something like that?
    edited November 2006
    We have widescreen displays and widescreen laptops at work and it consistently displays without stretching, so I wouldn't worry. If your widescreen defaults to stretched modes for 4:3 resolutions, most of them have the option to change it to letterbox/non-stretched modes if you monkey with the settings for a second.
  • edited November 2006
    Note that there's a bug that means that if your video card doesn't support 1280x960, then you also won't be able to use 1600x1200 - see this thread:
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1138
  • edited November 2006
    What about 1440 x 900 for us widescreen notebook users?
  • edited November 2006
    I second the 1280x1024 request.

1280x960 works without a problem on my Viewsonic VP912b 19" LCD. It'd be nice to have that extra 64 lines, though.
  • edited November 2006
    dunkpork wrote: »
    I second the 1280x1024 request.

1280x960 works without a problem on my Viewsonic VP912b 19" LCD. It'd be nice to have that extra 64 lines, though.

I have a viewsonic VP191s 19" inch monitor. When i play the game in 1280*960, the game runs in full screen without any black borders so i assume it's being stretched? what can i do about that (didn't find anything in my monitor menu to change this). Any help would be appreciated.
  • edited November 2006
    Well I really would like to see a 16:10 option coming out with the next episodes. I think it would look even cooler on my 16:10 LCD if it wouldn't have thoose black bars on the side, not to mention I'd love to use my native resolution of 1680x1050 for the game :D
  • edited November 2006
    I have a viewsonic VP191s 19" inch monitor. When i play the game in 1280*960, the game runs in full screen without any black borders so i assume it's being stretched? what can i do about that (didn't find anything in my monitor menu to change this). Any help would be appreciated.

Dunno. I just chose 1280*960 and didn't have any problems. It doesn't look stretched to me.

My monitor has an "auto adjust" thing it does when it switches res.
  • edited November 2006
    I have Viewsonic VP191b and I am using DVI input. There is no option to not to scale image to full screen. ATI driver settings has an option "Use centered timings", but it has no effect (maybe because of that DVI).

So, game looks a bit blurry. I am very dissapointed that there still exists a company that releases games that does not support 19" LCD displays.
  • edited November 2006
    I'm unable to get the game to go above 1024x768. I have a monitor that supports 1920x1200 and a nVidia 7800 GTX, so I wouldn't have thought going higher would be a problem!!
  • edited November 2006
    antikewl wrote: »
    I'm unable to get the game to go above 1024x768. I have a monitor that supports 1920x1200 and a nVidia 7800 GTX, so I wouldn't have thought going higher would be a problem!!

It looks like you've got the same problem as me - the nVidia drivers don't seem to support 1280x960, so you can't select that resolution in the menu. So you also can't select 1600x1200, because you have to select 1280x960 first to get to it.

I really hope this is fixed in Episode 2 onwards.
  • edited November 2006
    neilka wrote: »
    It looks like you've got the same problem as me - the nVidia drivers don't seem to support 1280x960, so you can't select that resolution in the menu. So you also can't select 1600x1200, because you have to select 1280x960 first to get to it.

I really hope this is fixed in Episode 2 onwards.

I really hope it's fixed in an episode 1 patch! That really is a crappy UI bug. :(
  • edited November 2006
    huppeli wrote: »
    I have Viewsonic VP191b and I am using DVI input. There is no option to not to scale image to full screen. ATI driver settings has an option "Use centered timings", but it has no effect (maybe because of that DVI).

So, game looks a bit blurry. I am very dissapointed that there still exists a company that releases games that does not support 19" LCD displays.

Same here. Though that is partially due to Viewsonic as it seems that most monitors (graphic cards?) can do this. However, isn't 1280*1024 a widespread resolution for a lot of 19" inch lcd's?

Must say that this is a bit dissapointing.
  • edited November 2006
    chkltcow wrote: »
    Oh crap, is it going to be messed up and stretched on my 16:10 widescreen laptop? What about 1280x768 or something like that?

Nah, doesn't appear to have that option.
  • edited November 2006
    It actually looks great on my widescreen laptop.
  • edited November 2006
    Since I got a pretty big screen (Viewsonic VP231wb 23" tft), full HD resolution (1920x1080) would be nice...
    Or even better, to fit the nativ 19:10 res 1920x1200.
  • edited November 2006
    huppeli wrote: »

(Also I think it's the standard native res for 17" LCD monitors too)... At least for the 3-4 I've used it has been?

I would have thought the blurriness would have been from your monitor attempted to rescale the image - I would have expected a little better from ViewSonic though?

While 1280x1024 would be nice, it still looked great on my old box (so much so that I hadn’t even thought about it until I saw this post)

But then, loads of games don’t natively support 1280x1024 - I've a feeling neither F.E.A.R nor Oblivion did? (I seem to remember playing around with the config files for one of both of those games?)
  • edited November 2006
    How about 2560x2048 for us geeks with SGI displays? I'm tired of only haveing my OS support my max resolution :(
  • edited November 2006
    1680x1050 please. I'm using the very popular Viewsonic 20.1" widescreen LCD, and I dislike playing games in windowed mode.
  • OMAOMA
    edited January 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    We have widescreen displays and widescreen laptops at work and it consistently displays without stretching, so I wouldn't worry. If your widescreen defaults to stretched modes for 4:3 resolutions, most of them have the option to change it to letterbox/non-stretched modes if you monkey with the settings for a second.

But widescreen users don't want to play with a letterboxed ratio. I think it should be relatively easy to allow users to select whatever resolution they want, widescreen or not (in my case I'd want to use 1360x768, as that's what my HDTV uses).

Lately, there are more and more games that pick the supported resolutions list from the user's system, instead of having fixed a resolution list, so everybody can be happy. Playing Sam&Max, either stretched or letterboxed is a let down. Please add widescreen support for next versions.

Thanks for reading :)

OMA
  • edited January 2007
    Please also see this one ;)
    (and your HDTV must be 1366*768 ;))
  • edited January 2007
    1024x768 is a pretty nice resolution for a game that doesn't have all that much detail in it, though.
  • OMAOMA
    edited January 2007
    @Yohmi: Yes, I see there are a lot of requests for resolutions, so that's why Sam&Max should be resolution-independent (i.e: get the available resolutions from the OS, instead of having just a few fixed resolutions) and also be able to run in widescreen. About the resolution I need, it's really 1360x768 even though the panel resolution is 1366x768, since 1360x768 is the only 1:1 mapped resolution available for my LCD TV (and most LCD TVs too), which leaves thin 3 pixel wide black bars at each side, but they're barely noticeable.

@ShaggE: In my case, it's not about having a really high resolution, but just having the game support a widescreen resolution, such as 1360x768 (16:9), 1280x720 (16:9), 1280x768 (16:10), 1920x1200 (16:10), and the like... Playing the game with a distorted ratio or with thick 168 pixel wide black bars at each side of the screen (in my case) is far from ideal.

I hope TellTale can fix this soon. It's the only fault in an otherwise excellent game!
  • edited January 2007
    *Raises hand for 1280*1024

Seriously, since this is the native reso for a lot of LCD's, this just has to be in it.

@ OMA: "I hope TellTale can fix this soon. It's the only fault in an otherwise excellent game!"

Those are very true words :D
    edited January 2007
    Better resolution independence is on the to-do list. Widescreen is tough when you build environments and in-engine cutscenes that are all framed to be shot at a 4:3 aspect ratio. When you widen the view, suddenly things are showing on the edges that you don't want to be there! (for instance the edge of an environment, or a character who isn't on screen yet) It will take some mucking before this happens properly - maybe not by the end of Sam & Max season one - but we all want to see widescreen support and better resolution independence as much as you guys, I promise. Hopefully whatever's next from TTG can be presented Now in Widescreen or something like that :).
  • edited January 2007
    Thanks for the info! It's great having you guys on the forums.

I have a Widescreen monitor. I don't mind things being non-widescreen - I understand that widescreen is still a minority and when it comes to cutscenes filmed for 4:3 there are serious issues. I'm fine with 4:3. That said, I do like things to not have to be stretched, and being a use of an Nvidia card, I have the "can't go about 1024x768" bug. I'm sure you folks are aware of it - hopefully there is something you can do!
  • OMAOMA
    edited January 2007
    Better resolution independence is on the to-do list. Widescreen is tough when you build environments and in-engine cutscenes that are all framed to be shot at a 4:3 aspect ratio. When you widen the view, suddenly things are showing on the edges that you don't want to be there! (for instance the edge of an environment, or a character who isn't on screen yet)

I see, but maybe an option to "zoom" the screen could be added, so it takes all the width of the widescreen screen, but some of the image at the top and bottom is cut (like the "pan&scan" option of some TVs). To avoid hotspots from being offscreen and thus unreachable by the user, a vertical scroll could be added so the entire screen would scroll when moving the pointer to the top or bottom part of the screen. I think this should be easy to do. Just an idea ;)
    edited January 2007
    Er to be honest I'd much rather play the game with black bars on the side than to have to pan and scan my way around a zoomed in image.

It's not like we don't know widescreen monitors exist, (we even have some in the office!) widescreen support just adds a lot of work in that wasn't planned into the schedule when we started with the season, so "dropping it in" mid-stride would be surprisingly painful for a few people on staff. It's always under consideration, and you may be surprised by a checkbox appearing in the options at some point, but please don't hold your breath.
  • edited January 2007
    Er to be honest I'd much rather play the game with black bars on the side than to have to pan and scan my way around a zoomed in image.

It's not like we don't know widescreen monitors exist, (we even have some in the office!) widescreen support just adds a lot of work in that wasn't planned into the schedule when we started with the season, so "dropping it in" mid-stride would be surprisingly painful for a few people on staff. It's always under consideration, and you may be surprised by a checkbox appearing in the options at some point, but please don't hold your breath.

I posted this in another thread already but I'd like to point out that widescreen LCD monitor sales are really taking off.
    http://www.displaysearch.com/free/paneltrack/#LCD%20Monitor%20Panels
    If the current trend continues then there will be more 19" widescreen monitors sold than regular 19" monitors sold very soon (it's already at almost 20% of total LCD sales). To be fair, this is a fairly new occurrence and didn't really start until this year so game designers haven't really had very long to react. Hopefully *wink wink nudge nudge* ;) once they start realizing just how BIG and how quickly GROWING the penetration of widescreen displays is, they'll start to take widescreen support more seriously.
  • edited January 2007
    Chwarg wrote: »
    Since I got a pretty big screen (Viewsonic VP231wb 23" tft), full HD resolution (1920x1080) would be nice...
    Or even better, to fit the nativ 19:10 res 1920x1200.

I second that, 1920x1200 would be nice on my Samsung 244T ;)
  • edited January 2007
    i sure think that every standard resolution should be supported but i have no problem with cutting off a few centimeters off my screen. im quite used that games have a small border on the screen.

last time i checked tho i had only 1024 as maximum resolution to choose from so i had to scale it up but it still looked fine. i mean hey its sam and max. i waited freaking ten years for it, :D
    nvidia drivers make that easy for all kind of screens, and i once knew a way to get a grip on ati drivers on that widescreen issue too. id have to look it up tho.
    edited January 2007
    As far as I know the game supports 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x960, and 1600x1200.
  • edited January 2007
    As far as I know the game supports 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x960, and 1600x1200.

If his or her monitor only supports up to 1280x1024 and not 1280x960 (like a 19" LCD) then the largest resolution the game would allow should be 1024x768.
    edited January 2007
    That's not always true. Many 1280x1024 LCDs can display a slightly stretched resampled 1280x960 image. But yes I know what you mean, it's clearly not the native resolution for many LCDs and quite a few cant display that slightly smaller resolution.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.