What do you think Happened to Rhys' Arm?

Do you think we will ever find out, or do you think its just for the story making him able to control robots and such. I hope we get to see what happened

Comments

• He lost it.

• I personally think, along with his eye, that he wanted to make more money and be more efficient so he got them added.

• YOU'RE CRAZY

Gapaot posted: »

He lost it.

• Extreme body modification is a thing in the Borderland's universe, and is not always the result of injury.

It's basically like plastic surgery that's actually useful (and just like plastic surgery some people become addicted to it).

• I think Rhys either got rich and brought the new arm and eye or someone upgraded his arms and eye.

• A zombie bit him :D

• It's not unusual.

Gaige from Borderlands 2 sliced off her arm just because she had a vague idea for using a robot arm to control a flying robot.

It's kinda just not a problem for people apparently.

• It could be a body modification like people have said, but at the same time I don't know how Rhys would be about having his own arm chopped off and eye pulled out for those body upgrades. It is entirely possible Rhys had them done on purpose to get ahead in life for the things he needed to do, but I would find it interesting if he did indeed get those things as a result of some accident, rather than personal gain and just decided to make the best of a situation by having a fancy arm and a scantastic eyeball.

But I am the same as you, I do hope they bring it up somewhere to explain how he got those things.

• I cut it off

A zombie bit him

• I really hope they bring it up at some point whatever happened

• It looks like there was an option to ask him in earlier version of the game. So I hope it means we get to know the story at some point

• I don't think his eye was pulled out, it just had something inserted into it.

Lilacsbloom posted: »

It could be a body modification like people have said, but at the same time I don't know how Rhys would be about having his own arm chopped

• I think he got it removed on his own purpose. Do get all that Hyperion tech into himself, you know :)

• edited December 2014

In the beginning of the episode Rhys mentions about not wanting to get dust in his eye, not eyes. So I wouldn't think he has two eyes with some implants inserted into the one, but a full bionic eye instead.

But maybe a better choice of words from me would be wise lol. What I meant more to say was perhaps Rhy's left eye was damaged and it wasn't pulled out but just replaced; same for the arm.

I don't think his eye was pulled out, it just had something inserted into it.

• Huh, I guess that scene was supposed to happen after escaping from August after the ambush.

They must have replaced it with the scene inside the van.

darlingno posted: »

It looks like there was an option to ask him in earlier version of the game. So I hope it means we get to know the story at some point

• I remember that picture. In retrospect it must be an early mock up - the buttons are different and all.

It looks like there was an option to ask him in earlier version of the game. So I hope it means we get to know the story at some point

• I'm guessing something got out of hand.

• edited December 2014

Alt text
    Did this ever happen?

• can't remember the exact quote, but when Vaughn mentions how Rhys had a __% chance of getting killed in the last __ he said something like "it was close there for awhile" I think this is alluding to the accident where Rhys lost his arm.

• It almost seems like he was an antagonist back then.

joshua007 posted: »

Did this ever happen?

• Tragic fap accident.

• Everyone on Helios remembers that.

Though I'm going to debunk it cause Rhys' dominate hand is his left ;)

Scaeva posted: »

Tragic fap accident.

• When I was going through the deleted audio files I found one where Vasquez is talking to Rhys about him getting the top job and he says this:

"And I didn't even have to become a robot."

I know it's not quite as exciting as some harrowing accident, but that definitely makes it sound like his arm and eye were modified (by choice) to advance his career.

• edited February 2015

That's pretty interesting! o.o I guess I understand better what Vaughn said to Rhys at the beginning of episode 1 now: 'Look, we had to do a lot of awful stuff to get you to this point. Do I regret some of it? Sure I do. [...] But that doesn't matter now. Cause you made it. You deserve this.' (maybe Yvette and Vaughn gave the arm and eye thing idea to Rhys, who knows / or one of them had to choose if he/she wanted to remove his/her arm and eye to get to the top, and Rhys finally chose himself or Yvette and Vaughn just didn't want to do that... -i'm having too much headcanons-)

And well if it turns out to be really true, I'll feel bad for Rhys that he felt the need to do this to get to the top. (I really find it sad ._.)

When I was going through the deleted audio files I found one where Vasquez is talking to Rhys about him getting the top job and he says this

• (Going slightly off-topic here) I agree, tbh I find extreme body modifications quite sad. The thought that somebody would feel so inadequate as they are that they would go through an insanely expensive and arduous surgical procedure to "improve" themselves is kinda depressing :( I mean I could understand if they were disfigured in some way, in an accident or something, but for a perfectly healthy person to have it done purely because they were that insecure... why can't people just accept themselves and their flaws as they are?

That's pretty interesting! o.o I guess I understand better what Vaughn said to Rhys at the beginning of episode 1 now: 'Look, we had to do a

• edited February 2015

That's exactly how I think about it too. When I see people changing their body to have bigger lips, breasts or anything like that (both men and women), I find it sad. And like you said, I can understand if they're disfigured or things like that.

I mean I could never remove my arm if it's not necessary, even if it's to have a robot arm. Like... no, I love my body xD (and i'd feel bad for my removed arm anyway because i'm weird)

(Going slightly off-topic here) I agree, tbh I find extreme body modifications quite sad. The thought that somebody would feel so inadequate

• I would be the same I think, it would be strange having a cold and unfeeling metal arm like that, you'd always feel sort of detached from it wouldn't you? Idk, if he had it done purposefully then I doubt Rhys sees it that way, I mean admittedly the robot arm is kinda cool - and dat eye tho...

That's exactly how I think about it too. When I see people changing their body to have bigger lips, breasts or anything like that (both men

• edited February 2015

Yeah. o.o Rhys probably told himself 'Yeah cool I will have a super robot arm so everyone will respect me' or something like that I think. I wonder if he regrets what he did to his arm. ( I personally don't think the eye is a big deal since that doesn't change him that much )

By the way, I think Rhys had his robot arm after the Pre-Sequel, since it's yellow. And Hyperion had red and black colours back then until Jack decided to make it yellow and white. xD

I would be the same I think, it would be strange having a cold and unfeeling metal arm like that, you'd always feel sort of detached from it

• He never asked for this.

• A Hyperion Upgrade known as the Skywalker arm

• edited February 2015

I'm hoping somewhere down the line, maybe after all the gunk that probably got everywhere in his arm from the arena fight, that Rhys will have to (maybe take off his arm to) clean/repair it. That could be a seque into a discussion.

And then Sasha would ask to hold it.

EDIT: But in response to the OP, I'm going with other posters before me in assuming Rhys believed cybernetics would give him an edge in Hyperion. That, or he was Wilhelm's biggest fan.

• edited February 2015

"I know it's not quite as exciting as some harrowing accident, but that definitely makes it sound like his arm and eye were modified (by choice) to advance his career." I always though it was the case. I mean, there are no reasons at all beside that one, and it suits his character. But also, as much as I don't like the idea I also don't think it would be wise for series if he would regret it too much and wallow in self-pity or something like that, it's not deus ex. TftB is supposed to be funny and lighthearted series - I mean I would like to hear an explanation, but that's about it.

When I was going through the deleted audio files I found one where Vasquez is talking to Rhys about him getting the top job and he says this

• Same way Sarita (determinantly) did. Hand trapped in someone's mouth and someone chopped it off. Obviously.

• "Can I hold your hand?"

:Shipping Intensifies:

Bluebirdo posted: »

I'm hoping somewhere down the line, maybe after all the gunk that probably got everywhere in his arm from the arena fight, that Rhys will ha

• edited February 2015

Alt text

Daw. It would be awesome.
    Btw, the hand looks different at the beginning of the game (or at the end, whatever) so maybe we'll see something like that indeed.

I'm hoping somewhere down the line, maybe after all the gunk that probably got everywhere in his arm from the arena fight, that Rhys will ha

• edited February 2015

Rhys: "Okay...just be careful with it...it was pretty expens--"

Sasha repeatedly nudges Rhys with his arm.

Sasha: "Stop hitting yourself. nudge Stop hitting yourself. nudge Stop hitting yourself."

"Can I hold your hand?" :Shipping Intensifies:

• And then the arm springs to life like Thing from The Addams Family because Jack is controlling it!

(also, I can't tell you how much I want yours to happen...)

Rhys: "Okay...just be careful with it...it was pretty expens--" Sasha repeatedly nudges Rhys with his arm. Sasha: "Stop hitting yourself. nudge Stop hitting yourself. nudge Stop hitting yourself."

• I like how we are discussing arms and your username is ReggiesLeftArm.

• :)

I like how we are discussing arms and your username is ReggiesLeftArm.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.