Does it bother you when Youtubers get early access to games?

I mean it bothers me and I know people can just say well you don't have to watch it but its in my recommendations so ill see a thumbnail or a spoiler in the title. And I really just cant understand why companies give their games earlier to a group of people just because they have a lot of subscribers. I mean yeah you can say their doing it for marketing but I mean why risk having people get spoiled by the content of the game. maybe someone can explain to me why this is a good thing or why this happens so much.

Comments

• I think it does. I unsubscribed my favourite youtubers for a while because I wanted to avoid Uncharted 4 spoilers.

• It probably benefits the company but yeah I personally hate it as well.

I mean whenever a company sends a Youtuber their game they usually aren't allowed to post it till release (I don't think they are aware that people will still get spoiled regardless). But I do find it annoying since the waiting time for download for some people is pretty lengthy and it's hard to stop yourself from going on youtube to entertain yourself during the wait.

Especially since some Youtubers can be assholes and the spoiler is in full caps on the title to bait viewers to their video.

• Yeah it's really unfair.

• YouTube is pretty unfair overall

• No. But I don't sub to any youtubers that get games early. The idea of it doesn't bother me.

• edited December 2016

It is marketing. It doesn't bother me.

If the Youtuber* is spoiling the games prior to release, then they probably aren't going to get reviewer copies much longer and if they do, it's the company's own fault for not researching them more. Not that any of them seem to care much any longer. This is the day and age where people almost expect at least 10min of gameplay to be revealed prior to release.

• BigBlindMaxBigBlindMax Banned
    edited December 2016

Not really. It's a mutually beneficial relationship between the company and the YouTuber and definitely less intrusive and lame than other forms of advertising.

• Not really. I wasn't mad when DanTDM got early access to episode 8 of MCSM.

• edited December 2016

Well it's good for some people that actually just watch the lets plays so youtubers can get it out for their fans to watch.

• edited December 2016

Game companies do it because it's essentially free advertising. Hand out a few copies here and there. Boom, free advertising. Besides, most companies have embargo's when it comes to Youtubers publishing footage of the game.

It doesn't bother me since I enjoy watching their reactions and commentary.

I feel like all the people who say it's not fair probably wouldn't have the same opinion if they were the ones getting games earlier :P

• yes, it does. as if playing video games for living (lazy af) is not enough, they also get free stuff. i know a certain youtuber who refused to play batman ep 2 because the code telltale gifted her only worked for the 1st episode. and then she said something like shes gonna email them or something. wtf? isnt it easier to just buy rest of episodes? you earn more money than some decent professions (that people actually go to college for) by doing literally nothing.

• edited December 2016

Not really, it's business. They want to expose their product to as many consumers as possible, YouTube is an excellent and cheap way to do that. Plus, we get to see actual gameplay from people we trust to provide good content, not a biased TV advert and so on.

• All hail the free market.

I agree it's better than being bombed by ads over ways.

BigBlindMax posted: »

Not really. It's a mutually beneficial relationship between the company and the YouTuber and definitely less intrusive and lame than other forms of advertising.

• I mean, he was actually in the game. I think he earned it.

Not really. I wasn't mad when DanTDM got early access to episode 8 of MCSM.

• Kind of, but not in that specific way. I'm only annoyed by it if they get it early and still bother to post footage of it before the real thing Is released. If they keep it under wraps till the time is right, I'm ok with it. If they post it early (and bother to disclose specific info in the title or thumbnail), they need to understand that people have rituals! They Play it themselves, and then watch what their favourite YouTuber thought of that one moment. Not: suddenly finding out something the day before they can get their hands on it..

• Honestly, if you change the region of an iPad, you can get early access if you find the right country (sometimes Australia gets it a day earlier). That's why I buy some telltale games on my iPad.

(I am not responsible for any damage caused to your device if you attempt this)

• It doesn't bother me. In my opinion, a good portion of games that are released nowadays are of poor quality. Every year it's the new Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed game or the new Destiny dlc, etc. I only care about a small number of games and so I tip my hat off to Youtubers that review these games. They must play lots of new games to review them and that's no simple task in all honesty.

• It doesn't bother me provided the YouTuber gives their opinion on the game and shows a decent amount of gameplay.

• Nope, gets more publicity. I might even convince me to buy a game I havent heard of fully or watched gameplay of.

If you have millions of subs the companies are going to look at it as brilliant advertisement. And tbh it is, and it works.

• Not really. It's better for them to make a video on it so we can see early not only what we're in store for as the players, but also what the end product is and whether or not it's good. Not to mention being a YouTuber myself, I realize how fucking hard it is to make videos, and I make AWFUL content. Could you imagine how much effort goes into content that winds up being amazing? Because I assume quite a fucking bit. I'd say most of them deserve early access.

• edited December 2016

as if playing video games for living (lazy af) is not enough,

Don't forget the editing, audio syncing, links, setting up the recording stuff, checking to make sure recording audio and visuals are good, fixing any mistakes, editing in tiny bits to make the video more engaging, writing the description and going through the horrible anxiety of the backlash from your fanbase on the video if the video isn't good enough. Basically what I'm saying is that there's far more to it than that and you're being ridiculous.

i know a certain youtuber who refused to play batman ep 2 because the code telltale gifted her only worked for the 1st episode. and then she said something like shes gonna email them or something.

What you just described is what I like to call a "Shit-tier-tuber". Somebody who, even if they make okay content and work hard on it, is a lazy shithead. Not to be confused with YouTubers who, I dunno, put effort into their videos and are awesome people. Kind of like the people you neglected the existence of in your bullshit generalization at the beginning of the comment, Hmm?

you earn more money than some decent professions (that people actually go to college for) by doing literally nothing.

Again, sayin' a lotta shit about something you clearly don't KNOW shit about.

abattoir posted: »

yes, it does. as if playing video games for living (lazy af) is not enough, they also get free stuff. i know a certain youtuber who refused

• I never even thought to let it bother me. People managing film festivals will often get free screeners, as do critics, and it's all in order to drive up the hype. If the youtuber shows more than a preview or whatever amount they were alloted, that's the video game company mismanaging the situation.

• Usually it doesn't bother me, since they're the most effective marketing methode. But when they spoil through their thumbnails or titles, then Telltale chose the wrong person to give early access to.

• And you have to consider, that Telltale has near to no marketing for their games at all. It got better these days, with Things like Batman: Unmasked, though.

GSSalvador posted: »

Usually it doesn't bother me, since they're the most effective marketing methode. But when they spoil through their thumbnails or titles, then Telltale chose the wrong person to give early access to.

• Does not bother me...hell I look at it as a service, because these reaction videos reviews and playthrus are often more honest than the regular gaming press.

• Does not bother me when is just a quick look at the game like 15 min. Bother me when is a full game. All customers should be treat equals.

• The mon- errrr... the market is always right!

All hail the free market. I agree it's better than being bombed by ads over ways.

• BigBlindMaxBigBlindMax Banned
    edited December 2016

I think this also worked for me on Xbox. I forgot which game it was though. Might've been Fallout 4: Far Harbor.

I changed my location to New Zealand.

fancies posted: »

Honestly, if you change the region of an iPad, you can get early access if you find the right country (sometimes Australia gets it a day ear

• I think the developers themselves will decide whom to give early access, on the contrary due to the youtubers they advertise their game.

• Many Non-famous youtubers I see now a days just change their country settings to nz or japan and get the early access rather than getting it from the game devs .

• It's just a game it's not real, don't waste your time hating on youtubers who idle around and have no life just being lazy and looking at a screen all day long.

• Im not hating it just bothers me when these youtubers get the games early I risk getting the game spolied.

ShaneWalsh posted: »

It's just a game it's not real, don't waste your time hating on youtubers who idle around and have no life just being lazy and looking at a screen all day long.

• Then don't go on Youtube, simple as that.

Im not hating it just bothers me when these youtubers get the games early I risk getting the game spolied.

• no that's not simple why should I have to avoid youtube just because some assholes wanna spoil a game that's not out yet.

Then don't go on Youtube, simple as that.

• it would be cool if telltale make a Preacher game :3 since the amc is kinda meh but i still watch it

enter image description here

• Im not really bothered by it myself really. I think its cool that they do but i dont watch though so i dont spoil anything for myself

• yeah.

I mean, he was actually in the game. I think he earned it.

• Not at all! I'm a pretty patient person and I already know that even if Youtubers weren't around I still wouldn't be the first to play the game, I care more about my personal experience playing than others getting it earlier than me, I'm a fan of Kingdom Hearts and Japan almost always gets the games months ahead of me.

• Youtube has not been around forever, you can live without it until the game does come out.

no that's not simple why should I have to avoid youtube just because some assholes wanna spoil a game that's not out yet.

• That still doesn't change the fact that Im gonna have to avoid a site that I really enjoy just because someone wants to spoil a game that hasn't even came out yet.

Youtube has not been around forever, you can live without it until the game does come out.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.