Life Is Strange - True Colors Out Now, Bonus Episode "Wavelengths" September 30th

Comments

• First season has at least eight killable people. This doesn't count people that can get mutilated. Most of them survive depending of what Max does.

There is like, 0 action scenes in the game. The characters always solve things with dialog, blackmail, manipulation and time travel. No QTEs

• edited September 2017

Fuck double post

Clord posted: »

First season has at least eight killable people. This doesn't count people that can get mutilated. Most of them survive depending of what Max does.

• edited September 2017

Uh, let's see:

1. Chloe
    2. Kate
    3. Warren
    4. Joyce
    5. Pompidou
    6. Jeffershit
    7. Frank
    8. Nathan Prickscott
    9. Icky Vicky
    10. Homeless Woman
    11. Alyssa
    12. That plant
    13. some dude that looks like Kenny
    14. Nice Wheelchair Chloe

This counting only the ones that can be ¨directly killed.

That awkard moment when the only non determinant alive characters is the prota and the prota's girlfriend's abusive stepdad

First season has at least eight killable people. This doesn't count people that can get mutilated. Most of them survive depending of what Max does.

• edited September 2017

Considering only a few percent of the players did give money to Joyce, I think that people who claim they "check everything" is far fewer than those who claim it.

I mean, being part of that vast minority who figured it out and actually checked everything intractable as far I know, it's not surprising that most just checked out the house a bit, talked to Joyce and then just stormed out of the door after taking the keys. Which is amusing, considering direct route to those keys easily make you go near that purse and see the option.

Then again, most who take the money, probably spend it to drugs, so they don't even have that chance in their first playthrough. Personally I didn't like how Chloe buy illegal drugs so I ended up keeping the money.

• Rachel mod for Skyrim when?

• The promo shots or episodes 2 and 3 without the text.

enter image description here

I do find it interesting that the promo for episode 2 looks more like concept art, while the one for 3 seems to be done in-engine (though I supose D9 could've just used the junkyard from EP1 and posed Chloe and Rachel with those clothes, maybe?)

• I do like that coat Rachel wears in the Ep 3 promo picture. That England flag "Bullocks" patch is a nice touch.

MichaelBP posted: »

The promo shots or episodes 2 and 3 without the text. I do find it interesting that the promo for episode 2 looks more like concept a

• edited September 2017

I think I´m the only one that Choose Throw the Belt Over to Rachel.

Here the dialogue :
    ( I Choose Throw the Belt over )

Chloe : Here you go ( Throw the Belt over )

Rachel: ( BUFF ) Ow! I didn´t say attack me with it.

Chloe : Shit. Sorry

• I gave money to Joyce... i guess i'm a good and observant daughter

cough ludonarrative disonance cough

Considering only a few percent of the players did give money to Joyce, I think that people who claim they "check everything" is far fewer th

• Man I love the Brave New World one.

Uh, any theory on how Episode 2 could be related to the book Brave New World?

The promo shots or episodes 2 and 3 without the text. I do find it interesting that the promo for episode 2 looks more like concept a

• edited September 2017

Still. Chloe should stop buying drugs etc so that they can afford their expenses.

I'm pretty sure one reason they have such big money problems is that Chloe probably steals money.

Many of Frank's clients come from wealthier families than Chloe. So they can afford it.

I gave money to Joyce... i guess i'm a good and observant daughter cough ludonarrative disonance cough

• u win the internet!

Rachel mod for Skyrim when?

• I did that too, it would be inappropriate not I assumed.

I think I´m the only one that Choose Throw the Belt Over to Rachel. Here the dialogue : ( I Choose Throw the Belt over ) Chloe : Her

• I mean, people who stole the money might have thought Joyce would get extremely suspicious about suddenly having money, or wanted to keep it for future use.

Considering only a few percent of the players did give money to Joyce, I think that people who claim they "check everything" is far fewer th

• So this is what everyone is so awed about? An "interactive experience" in which, much like the first awful game, the "gameplay" consists of walking around extremely restricted spaces looking at poorly rendered objects to obtain thoughts of a character whining and complaining at every instance? This is what has floored people?

I was just as aggravated as Adam here was, and I only watched this short slice of the game.

"Ugh, David's lawnmower... Maybe mom and I like our lawn the way it is." Truly horrendous internal character dialogue.

• Ejem

Did you know that

people have thoughts?

And that they

walk around?

and look at stuff?!?!?

How dare the producers make characters with opinion and thouths about the enviroment around them!??!?!

So this is what everyone is so awed about? An "interactive experience" in which, much like the first awful game, the "gameplay" consists of

• edited September 2017

Usually, and perhaps this is presumptuous on my part, but people don't attribute every-single-thing to one flimsy character trait at all times. People are fleshed out, diverse, unique, interesting... If I look at a box of crayons immediately after looking at a film poster, I would probably think two entirely different things... not "Ugh, the film looks like shit which is what my life is cause I'm a rebel and rebel's don't care about life." and "Crayons? These are too colorful, not like my soul which is black after my father died and left me a vacant rebel."

Human subconscious does not work like that... despite what a hipster-foreign-made cobbled together narrative dressing itself up as a "grounded coming-of-age narrative" about American youth would have you believe.

Ejem Did you know that people have thoughts? And that they walk around? and look at stuff?!?!? How dare the producers make characters with opinion and thouths about the enviroment around them!??!?!

• Chloe is actually one of more realistically written characters around. From her viewpoint she is genuinely justified to be hostile to David who is forcing his way to their family. She sees him of taking advantage of Joyce. Also as Chloe mentioned, David has not been working over a year, which makes her to doubt that they can afford him.

Of course from Life is Strange we know that he actually got a job after marriage.

Max would likely go along with it and be understanding. Chloe has strong personality to get her way and is more similar to David that she realizes.

So yeah, Chloe is a well written character.

So this is what everyone is so awed about? An "interactive experience" in which, much like the first awful game, the "gameplay" consists of

• edited September 2017

So yeah, Chloe is a well written character.

Why again? Because she's "strong" and "realistic" is about as vague as any argument I've ever heard. That doesn't make a character well written, sorry to say.

If that were the case, Arnold Schwarzenegger in "Jingle all the Way" is also well written, cause he's "strong" for wanting to make his son happy on Christmas by jumping around as a toy and he's "realistic" cause of his dedication to fight a black mailman for a whole day while screaming half-Austrian gibberish.

Chloe is actually one of more realistically written characters around. From her viewpoint she is genuinely justified to be hostile to David

• Oh thank god, I'm not the only one that thought they were seriously overdoing the "I hate David" shit

Just about every internal line of dialogue related to him is just "I hate this guy" "This guy sucks" "What a dick" "Fuck you David" "Did I tell you (and by that I mean myself) how much I hate David?"

I mean okay, having some random dude come into your life after your dad died, especially if he's not the nicest dude, that wouldn't be too fun. But I somehow doubt that a person would spend every waking minute thinking about how they want to just take a brick to their face.

• edited September 2017

I agree wholeheartedly. I mean, just imagine doing something interesting and subtle with a character who is still coping with the loss of a father... Imagine picking up the framed picture and rather than Chloe spewing her typical hateful shit to herself, she instead looks at the image pensively and then darts her eyes defensively at David. Perhaps through subtle expressions, small context clues could be picked up on that she feels as though David moved the picture into the garage as some form of defiant "hand-waving" of the tragic situation.

But instead, we get poorly delivered lines that were written poorly about everything...

Deltino posted: »

Oh thank god, I'm not the only one that thought they were seriously overdoing the "I hate David" shit Just about every internal line of d

• I somehow doubt that a person would spend every waking minute thinking about how they want to just take a brick to their face.

Well she doesn't, this is just an out of context scene from the game. I can't say I really liked the game myself after watching a let's play, but being pissed at him for a few minutes and only focusing on him isn't representative for the whole game (granted, the subject does come up more than this one scene if I recall correctly). But like @Everyone'sClemInTime said, more subtlety would've improved it a lot.

Oh thank god, I'm not the only one that thought they were seriously overdoing the "I hate David" shit Just about every internal line of d

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited September 2017

I know she doesn't do this the entire game, but in the scene in question, it's pretty much what 90% of the dialogue revolves around. The entire sequence with David pretty much boils down to Chloe saying something disparaging about him at every turn, be it internal dialogue, or actual dialogue. And if it isn't in the dialogue, it's something in her journal instead.

Go outside and see David from a distance: "What a piece of crap"

Look at the car he's working on: "David has a small dick"

Look at random unaffiliated object in the garage that has absolutely nothing to do with David whatsoever: "I wonder how far up his ass this will go"

Paraphrasing, obviously. But still.

Ekelund21 posted: »

I somehow doubt that a person would spend every waking minute thinking about how they want to just take a brick to their face. Well

• lol, nah, I'm just posting it here. Credit goes to Sbel, who has made some pretty amazing LiS fan projects and levels in UE4 in the past.

u win the internet!

• Poor Warren. D9 must hate him, since in episode 1 he exists only as a poor little 2D sprite lol

•  You ask the question...why is Chloe a well written character?  If you were judging by her internal monologue or some of her wilder arguments...you could say no.  And I do not think her dialogue is always well written.  However, I will say she is incredibly well realized as a character.  So let us delve into Chloe Elizabeth Price.

Before William died...Chloe was an academic achiever. She loved life and her family. Her best friend was a girl by the name of Maxine Caulfield. Her Mother is named Joyce. Her family like many in America lived on the upper lower class line...happy enough with a tight bond of love.

William's death was a heavy blow for Chloe...made worse when Max's family moved to Seattle. The sense of abandonment...anger of misplaced betrayal on her father for dying and leaving her. All the superficial well wishers...at 14 years of age...cynicism and intellect pick up on the false platitudes and it feeds her resentment.

Rebellion...with her mother having to pick up so much work just to keep the family fed..Chloe often found herself alone. As sometimes happens even to the best people...they fall in with the wrong crowd...one that feeds her need to rebel against a life that she sees as being something of a sham. Ultimately she sees the other people in the supposed punk world are also fake...so she tends to be alone. This helps reinforce the idea that people are basically worthless because all they do is let you down.

Enter Rachel Amber....Rachel Amber rescues Chloe from a bad situation that her admittedly smart mouth got her into while at a rave. Rachel asks nothing for nothing from Chloe...just the pleasure of listening to good music and having fun.

Now I cannot speak to the events that eventually happens in BTS....so we move on to the events of the original game. Chloe may have found some equilibrium in her relationship with Rachel...but at the start of the game...Rachel is missing...whatever goodness that had filled into her life is now being torn apart as the madness of not even knowing what happened is driving her to get into a situation that is out of her control...and she is murdered.

Max Caulfield..Chloe's BFF who has been neglectful of their friendship creates an alternate timeline in which Chloe is not killed. We see through the influence of Max..that Chloe's darker instincts are curtailed. Chloe can be demanding to Max...mostly this is her way of getting back at Max for not keeping in touch. Chloe may actually feel undeserving of having Max in her life again and is just being cold so as to not let herself be hurt by Max again.

Chloe is a character that as the old saying goes..is born to hang. The only real and cruelly unfair outcome is for Max to sacrifice Chloe so that Arcadia Bay will survive.

Chloe stripped of her bullshit....there are a few times when Chloe allows her mask of being a rebellious teen to slip. Her interaction with her Mother in the first episode of BTS....we see that despite everything...Chloe loves her mother...and is even honest enough in her journal entry to admit that she is sometimes unfair to her. Her time with Rachel...we see the tough Chloe fall to the side as the real one...a woman who is unsure of herself, but needs someone to believe in and to believe in her. So when Rachel leaves her in the junkyard without an explanation...Chloe goes into a rampage and begins to lash out and smash everything in sight. Her frustration and pain are very real...and only get worse when she finds the car in which her father died. A car she had not seen since just before the accident. Chloe and Max in the pool...A very interesting conversation. Finding Rachel Amber...What kind of a world does this...who does this? Chloe's world comes crashing down as her worst fears are realized. At the lighthouse....Chloe tells you that her mother does not deserve to die in that diner....Chloe is willing to die so that Arcadia Bay may live...even though she has lost so much...Max has helped her become a better person. Her love for Rachel...and for Max helps her see that the world is worth saving...and that good people do not deserve to die...so she give Max the photo that started the chain of events of LiS.

So Chloe may not always have the best dialogue...I am sure no one here can claim they always internally monologue on a level to make the Bard whistful...but as a character...she is fully fleshed out and has many aspects about her..some are admirable..others are less so. She comes off as a real person...and in the realm of videogames and many books...that alone makes her a great character.

So yeah, Chloe is a well written character. Why again? Because she's "strong" and "realistic" is about as vague as any argument I've

• That's all well and good... but was it hella shaka brah?

You ask the question...why is Chloe a well written character? If you were judging by her internal monologue or some of her wilder arguments

• lol jump into the mosh pit of fun!

That's all well and good... but was it hella shaka brah?

• Friendzoned even by the devs....poor Warren.

Poor Warren. D9 must hate him, since in episode 1 he exists only as a poor little 2D sprite lol

• They made him a 2 dimensional character. The bestards.

Friendzoned even by the devs....poor Warren.

• Oh what a nice song let's see if there are lyrics in the descripti-- WHOAH WHAT THE FUCK

And have you even listened to the song? Very LiS

• I find it interesting that elements from this ending, mostly assets, were used for the Kate scene in episode 4 and that the assests for Chloe's funeral in the Sacrifice Chloe ending might've been made for the scrapped Kate funeral scene originally.

(Still wish this could've been a ending in LiS tbh...)

• Now if we could just find a sprite that resembles Eliot in LiS1. Honestly, I'd like to see Warren & Eliot bond over being in the friendzone.

Friendzoned even by the devs....poor Warren.

• To be honest. It looked really bad that they used those 2D cardboard cutout like characters to fill area. It's not like the game's engine couldn't easily handle a few more 2D models.

Poor Warren. D9 must hate him, since in episode 1 he exists only as a poor little 2D sprite lol

• People should pay attention.

• to what

sorry wasn't paying attention

People should pay attention.

• I didn't steal the money but would have if I knew we could slip Joyce some money.

• I guess they just decided to use the same type models/sprites that Dontnod used in the original, for faraway npcs.

To be honest. It looked really bad that they used those 2D cardboard cutout like characters to fill area. It's not like the game's engine couldn't easily handle a few more 2D models.

• I was afraid Before The Storm would be weak without time rewritting ability but it is still great :)

• Someone messed up with time, three times.

to what sorry wasn't paying attention

Sign in to comment in this discussion.