The Last of Us Discussion Thread

Comments

• The Last Of Us is definitely overrated.That doesn't help that the fans are completely insane when you're telling them you didn't like the game.And i'm sorry but i just feel like people who praise Naughty Dog games doesn't play a lot of good games,this company made some good games i agree but there's way better.
    But it's not a bad thing,a lot of people like Naughty Dog games so it's good for them.

BigGazMan posted: »

Sure. 1. the plot feels like a combination of set pieces. 2. full of dull stealth sequences 3. the gameplay is so bad, it's unbelievable

• I don't know what TV series you're talking about but if the cute puppy dog is there, it's not ridiculous

Not sure if I'd call the dog cute...
    And the show is definitely ridiculous. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

MegaXD posted: »

thanks you saved my life, now I know where is the perfect place not to buy posters, I bet David made that poster lmao Damn my latest i

• It's hard to explain but look up set pieces,

ps, sorry if I sound rude.

Number 1 intrigued me, what do you mean by "a combination of set pieces"?

• Aww, you don't like "Zack the puppy"?

Acheive250 posted: »

Not sure when I'll be able to get a hold of the comic series. But I'm sure I'll manage. And yeah, I haven't played Left Behind yet. Pro

• I didn't dislike it, I just prefer the more sinister kind of dogs.

Well, who knows. I guess Zack could've reincarnated into a blood-thirsty revenge-craving hound that's dead-set on killing everyone and everything. Then Zack would take the cake.

Aww, you don't like "Zack the puppy"?

• And... are you obsessed with sacrifice? Again, I'm not quite sure what you mean.

I getcha. It was one of those weird thoughts I had during my fever. I don't remember where I was going with that. Just... forget about it.

I can feel the sadness Ellie must feel at the thought of what's been lost in the apocalypse: fun. I can hear the silence that follows.

...Yeah... Maybe I'm crazy...?

No. I completely get it. I was playing this game called "Dead Space", and things like that would happen all the time. Imaginings of people still there, but then seeing the true horrible fate after. You have a better imagination. Instead of getting sad music playing over it was more of an ambiance to me. Labeling it as something that's just not quite right instead of it being accepted for its truth. But that's because that game had this influence on me. I appreciate you showing that perspective. I was blind to it.

Hmm, I suppose I don't really need to spoiler tag this post since it technically doesn't give away anything plot-wise to the comics...

• edited February 2018

I did look it up and it doesn't really sound bad to me.
    Hey @Acheive250, you write stories don't you? Do you know what set-pieces are?

Heh heh, and to be honest, I did think that your original comment was a troll attempt... I'm still undecided, but you haven't raged abuse so it's all good in my book.
    EDIT: I'm sorry if I sounded rude. I didn't intend to be.

It's hard to explain but look up set pieces, ps, sorry if I sound rude.

• edited February 2018

...But do you get the joke? Wait, have you ever played CRISIS CORE: Final Fantasy VII before?

And you have a very... peculiar preference in dogs. I'd be quite concernd for the safety of you, your friends, family and everyone else on the planet if you have a pet dog. :D

I didn't dislike it, I just prefer the more sinister kind of dogs. Well, who knows. I guess Zack could've reincarnated into a blood-thirsty revenge-craving hound that's dead-set on killing everyone and everything. Then Zack would take the cake.

• That's fine. We're all allowed to have our own opinions, even if say, mine are the complete opposite of yours. :p

Personally, I find that:
    1. I think the game has a lack of set pieces. There are a few, but mostly they're interesting ways of mixing in the gameplay elements of the game. You've got a boss battle against a Bloater in the gym, a "run for your life" section vs. The Turret Van, a stealth section vs. a sniper.. If this were Uncharted I'd be more inclined to agree -- as that at least wears its set pieces on its belt like an "action movie" should -- but I find this game is a whole other beast.
    2. I love the stealth. It probably composes my favourite parts of the game. Enemies are good to manipulate, you've got a lot of tools at your disposal, and there's even quite a few ways to approach some scenarios.
    3. And I love the gameplay. Simple to learn, hard to master. There's many ways to take someone down, and the simple control scheme mixes really well with the combat. The non-lock-on cover system is my favourite. You crouch, walk up to a piece of furniture, and there ya go!
    4. I like the story. Slow paced, intriguing, unfortunately creepy...

So... Yeah. Not trying to shut you down, simply mentioning my opinion.

Sure. 1. the plot feels like a combination of set pieces. 2. full of dull stealth sequences 3. the gameplay is so bad, it's unbelievable

• lmao I'm not insane, I just believe in the Fireflies. They're totally real don't you know, Naughty Dog doesn't just make shit up, they base their stories on REALITY! (I just learnt that word last week!)

When I wake up each morning I say the complete Fireflies charter forwards and backwards. After that I have my healthful breakfast of ration food. (I'm starting to run low tho, gonna have to scout for more supplies soon) I then proceed to graffiti-- ermm, promote my cause by spray-painting the Fireflies insignia around my neighborhood. When I run out of spray paint, or run out of places to tag, I then climb all the neighborhood trees in search for Firefly pendants... ya neva know! One time I actually fell out of the tree and broke my leg, but I bandaged up my right arm and it's all good now! Also, I crouch around everywhere and hide behind low objects like mailboxes, fences, parked cars etc. Can't risk a hunter spotting me! BTW I always carry a backpack around and fill it with bricks and bottles. Yeah I have a really bad back now, but you never know when you might need them because they actually don't appear whenever you need them as you would expect!! But yeah, not insane, don't know how you came to your judgement, rlly weird...

iFoRias posted: »

The Last Of Us is definitely overrated.That doesn't help that the fans are completely insane when you're telling them you didn't like the ga

• I just see a lot of people being insulted just because they didn't like the game,but i'm sure not every fan is like that.

lmao I'm not insane, I just believe in the Fireflies. They're totally real don't you know, Naughty Dog doesn't just make shit up, they base

• Lmao I'm reading this comment and thinking about Riley, mostly because of the "When I wake up each morning I say the complete Fireflies charter forwards and backwards"

lmao I'm not insane, I just believe in the Fireflies. They're totally real don't you know, Naughty Dog doesn't just make shit up, they base

• Well I don't care about the haters or someone who doesn't like the game, I love TLOU and that's the only thing that matters to me, there will always be someone who doesn't like or hate something you like. So If you don't like TLOU: K good for you mate :)

• edited February 2018

Last of Us Part 2 feels really forced the more I hear about it. I really just don’t know why they decided to use Joel and Ellie again when their stories were over and done with in Last of Us. Now, I can actually see more stories being told with Ellie somewhat but Joel? His story is over, he has nowhere else to go from where Last of Us 1 left off and the only way I’ll give credit for this sequel is that if he’s actually dead. I also don’t really like the fact that it seems like we’re jumping back and forth from Ellie to other characters as that just seems like it’s going to mess with the overall pacing of the story and if it’s a prequel timeline that’s even worse. The only thing that I’m actually interested in is how different the gameplay is and what they have expanded upon, which I really hope they take full advantage of given what they learned from past titles.

• You could say the same with Uncharted 1. Drake already met his "ancestor" in El Dorado, he killed Navarro to prevent him and his people to drag the El Dorado statue out of the island and he got rewarded with the treasures Sully took from dead pirates. It felt like the story was over but still got 3 sequels.

J-Master posted: »

Last of Us Part 2 feels really forced the more I hear about it. I really just don’t know why they decided to use Joel and Ellie again when t

• Yes, because a one off episodic pulp adventure is comparable with a grounded and very dark apocalypse story.

AronDracula posted: »

You could say the same with Uncharted 1. Drake already met his "ancestor" in El Dorado, he killed Navarro to prevent him and his people to d

• Um, Uncharted was never episodic.

J-Master posted: »

Yes, because a one off episodic pulp adventure is comparable with a grounded and very dark apocalypse story.

• The genre it’s pulling from is episodic, and the game itself is episodic to a degree when it comes to the set pieces. Pulp magazines and pulp serials thrived on being ongoing franchises.

AronDracula posted: »

Um, Uncharted was never episodic.

• Shit. Which comment seemed like a troll attempt? The Zack Puppy one? I apologize, that was not my intent. I was feeling pretty crappy and wasn't thinking about what I was saying.

(OH HOLY F#$*, you're not talking about me. Sorrrryyyyy)

And yeah, I write stories. Too much. Waaay too much. Anyway, set pieces are more of a video-game / movie thing. Basically, if I'm not mistaken, a set piece in a videogame is a playing area in which specific actions and events occur at set times during gameplay. Uncharted is quite famous for it's awesome set pieces so I'll use that as an example.

The plane wreck in UC3. It's basically a cinematic but you are in full control of your character. Stuffs blowing up all around you as you're trying to survive, then you go flying out the back... And it looks bloody awesome to people watching you play.

Hope I've given you a pretty good idea of what it is

I did look it up and it doesn't really sound bad to me. Hey @Acheive250, you write stories don't you? Do you know what set-pieces are? H

• Yes I have, A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. But I didn't get the reference.

(Also, sorry if that was offensive. I have no idea why I even said that.)

...But do you get the joke? Wait, have you ever played CRISIS CORE: Final Fantasy VII before? And you have a very... peculiar preference

• I'll be honest and say that I don't really stay completely up-to-date with all the TLOU stuff and I don't really prowl social media or other forums related to TLOU so I can't really say what a majority of the fans are like.

I took your post as an opportunity to make a fool of myself as a joke... Well at the very least, it made me laugh... But looking back on it, I hope I didn't offend any TLOU fans.

But yeah, it seems that a lot of people in general can get very offended when other people don't share their views and opinions and take it upon themselves to abuse other people at an attempt to feel better about themselves. I just try to avoid negative people like that as best as I can. I've found that the TLOU fans here are really nice though...

I just see a lot of people being insulted just because they didn't like the game,but i'm sure not every fan is like that.

• You're not offensive. :)
    Oh cool, you have played it? Well, in CC: FFVII, Angeal describes Zack as having a "zero attention span, restless as a little puppy". Later on, Genesis mocks Zack and says "Settle down... Zack, the puppy." It was a pretty lame joke of mine... :p
    (Yes, I realize now I'm getting off-topic... :sweat_smile:)

Yes I have, A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. But I didn't get the reference. (Also, sorry if that was offensive. I have no idea why I even said that.)

• edited February 2018

Ah yes. I remember now.
    Annyway, apologies for the off-topic discussion. (It won't happen again, I swear!)

To make this comment more related, I'm gonna post a theory for Part II.
    PLOT TWIST:
    Tess ain't dead, mate! She was shot with tranquilizer darts and was only stunned. They then hauled her unconscious body back to Boston where they sold her to the Fireflies, who'll then interrogate her and use her knowledge of Joel, Tommy and Bill to track down Ellie so they can create a cure!

EDIT: Shit, I forgot she was infected... Well... They realize that the tranquilizer darts actually halt the infection as well...

You're not offensive. Oh cool, you have played it? Well, in CC: FFVII, Angeal describes Zack as having a "zero attention span, restless as

• edited February 2018

An interesting theory, however...

PLOT HOLE:
    (spoilers for main story)

Tess was bitten.

Having said that, it's possible she could've had a few more hours to live before turnin', and seeing as she's mixed up in the smuggler trade and has a reputation as being ruthless, I'm gonna bet there are a few people who's got a beef with her... But at this point, would the Fireflies have any reason to interogate her? As far as they're aware, Joel would still be makin' his way to the Fireflies with Ellie.

Actually, would the military even want to do business with the Fireflies? As far as we've seen, the military have strict orders to shoot on sight anyone suspected to be affiliated with the Fireflies. Unless they were Fireflies in disguise...

But it could still be possible, I suppose... (unless her "unconscious" body is seen covered in blood in the game, I can't remember)

Just some thoughts, don't mean to rain on your parade.

EDIT: Oh, you already realized that. Nevermind me then.

Ah yes. I remember now. Annyway, apologies for the off-topic discussion. (It won't happen again, I swear!) To make this comment more rel

• Eh, it was mainly a joke anyway.

An interesting theory, however... PLOT HOLE: (spoilers for main story) (Spoiler) Just some thoughts, don't mean to rain on your parade. EDIT: Oh, you already realized that. Nevermind me then.

• Ha ha, I can totally imagine that being a part of Riley's daily routine, waking up to salute her wanted poster of Marlene whilst saying the complete Fireflies charter... forwards and backwards. I'm not so sure about the other stuff though, I don't think she's that crazy.

Lmao I'm reading this comment and thinking about Riley, mostly because of the "When I wake up each morning I say the complete Fireflies charter forwards and backwards"

• I suspected that, but wanted to explore the possbilities of your theory anyway... Or did I ruin the joke?

Eh, it was mainly a joke anyway.

• Ah crap, I'm sorry for confusing you like that! D:

That was a really great explanation Acheive, thanks!

Shit. Which comment seemed like a troll attempt? The Zack Puppy one? I apologize, that was not my intent. I was feeling pretty crappy and wa

• So a lot of important events in the story of TLOU happen during set-pieces. I don't see how that's a bad thing, but I can understand that it can make it feel more like a movie than playing a video game. Is that why you don't enjoy it? Personally, I think it's used very well in TLOU, but I don't want to push my opinions onto you, I just wanted to try and understand your point of view. Not everyone is going to like TLOU.

What kind of games do you like?

It's hard to explain but look up set pieces, ps, sorry if I sound rude.

• edited February 2018

I don't see how that's a bad thing, but I can understand that it can make it feel more like a movie than playing a video game.

That's one of the reasons i dislike recent Naughty Dog games lately,it's hard to explain,i don't have that feeling when i play a Telltale game.
    It's like these games could just be movies and not games.I think it's more obvious in Uncharted 4.

So a lot of important events in the story of TLOU happen during set-pieces. I don't see how that's a bad thing, but I can understand that it

• game I like are mostly multiplayer games like Friday the 13th game.

So a lot of important events in the story of TLOU happen during set-pieces. I don't see how that's a bad thing, but I can understand that it

• Yeah, I think I know what you mean, I don't even need to have a fever to say weird stuff though.

I wouldn't say you were blind, just that you have a different perspective. But thanks.

:)

And... are you obsessed with sacrifice? Again, I'm not quite sure what you mean. I getcha. It was one of those weird thoughts I had

• I guess it can be like "What's even the point in having a controller if I can't choose what to do!!", is that right?

I didn't get that feeling with TLOU, I thought those moments were used well. I haven't played Uncharted 4 yet though.
    I think it's suppose to make you feel more immersed and involved rather than just passively watching, but if it's overused then that can get quite annoying.

In Uncharted 3 at the part after the plane crash, after Nate had been wandering in the desert for a few days, he was getting exausted, stumbling over when he walked and crashing into the sand. I remember feeling exhausted for him, trying to be gentle when I walked to try and not push him too far. I don't know if you could get that same effect with a movie.

Then, of course, that feeling was ruined when you walk into that desert town that just happened to be full of tough guys with guns that just wanted to kill you. Instantly, Nate springs into action after previously just barely managing to walk, and he doesn't end up collapsing or passing out or anything! (Heh heh, Uncharted 3 was a bit like that, ruining it's own grand moments :D )

I don't see how that's a bad thing, but I can understand that it can make it feel more like a movie than playing a video game. That'

• Just played thru the remaster for the second time. I love the story...the gameplay is meh, but that story...why has Sony not made a movie or a Netflix series out of it?

• Because Hollywood can't have any movies based on video games figured out. Plus, we already have a movie that fits The Last of Us so well and it's

Just played thru the remaster for the second time. I love the story...the gameplay is meh, but that story...why has Sony not made a movie or a Netflix series out of it?

• I didn't get that feeling with TLOU, I thought those moments were used well. I haven't played Uncharted 4 yet though.

I think it's better used in Last Of Us like you said.

I guess it can be like "What's even the point in having a controller if I can't choose what to do!!", is that right? I didn't get that fe

• it's not necessary, the game is already a movie, like a lot of movies based on something, they would cut a lot of great parts to spend less money and to resume the story of 15-16 hours to a 2-3 hours movie, and if they decide to make a PG-13 rated movie to reach more audience (I've seen a lot of movies doing that) they would cut a lot of blood/gore parts. Besides, I can't see Joel and Ellie being performed by people other than Troy and Ashley, even if they are exactly the same in appearance (Hugh Jackman/ Ellen Page), the voice is not the same, i don't want Joel and Ellie with different voices. Even they make a TV show instead of a movie. In my opinion it would ruin the game and it's not necessary.

Just played thru the remaster for the second time. I love the story...the gameplay is meh, but that story...why has Sony not made a movie or a Netflix series out of it?

• edited February 2018

PLEASE DON'T HURT THE DOG

• Holy SHIT!!! They're introducing a dog in the sequel? Or are they just going to put it for just being there surviving the apocalypse like the dogs which Joel, Ellie, Henry and Sam are witnessing after escaping the sewers?

I swear to God, he better not make us witness the death of this animal cause that would be controversial and heartbreaking as fuck. I don't want any flashbacks from the worst movie I've ever watched which is I Am Legend.

PLEASE DON'T HURT THE DOG

• There was talk of a TLOU movie being made, but it's been put on-hold indefinitely because of conflicts with the writer and Sony.

To be honest, I wasn't feeling very confident in it anyway...

SOURCES: My ass
    --lawl naaaw just kidding, I got the links right here:
    http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/03/13/druckmann-confirms-the-last-of-us-movie-is-game-adaptation
    https://www.cinemablend.com/new/Bad-News-Last-Us-Movie-Adaptation-122597.html
    http://au.ign.com/articles/2016/11/16/producer-sam-raimi-says-the-last-of-us-movie-stuck-at-a-standstill

Sign in to comment in this discussion.