The Path of Honour: An Interactive Story

Comments

• I can't say I'm surprised at all with your choice, Mina is your girl after all ;)

Lot's of very good points, I hadn't considered Reznar may have set a trap for Tobor with Tazhyn as the bait but I suppose he very well might of. I think perhaps you're overestimating how much Reznar thinks of the relationship between Tazhyn and Tobor. He knows that they like each other but he thinks Tazhyn is just bored and looking for friends. He doesn't believe Tobor would risk his freedom just to come say hi.

I'd tend to agree with your other points, I think Tobor owes Mina a little more than Tazhyn, if only for the oath he swore. Mina is used to living that sort of life, and you and I both know she's strong willed enough to tell Tobor to sod off if she hadn't wanted to do anything he'd asked. I'm not trying to take away what she's doing for him mind you. I just think Tazhyn risked a lot as well, she may not have risked her life for it but she was there when Tobor needed it and he perhaps wouldn't be alive now if she hadn't.

Tazhyn may not necessarily be as safe as you believe. Think about the man Reznar is, he loves his daughter but he has one hell of a temper and I'm sure that while he wouldn't hurt his daughter maliciously, I don't doubt he may punish her for her hand in Tobor's general actions of his time in the service of Reznar.

Regardless, I am currently figuring out how to write a few chapters for Mina and Tazhyn both, just to keep them in the loop once Tobor leaves Meereen.

[Mina] Absolutely no surprise about my decision here, eh? I expected this choice, but oh man, I hoped it would not come up on the day whe

• I didn't actually write this choice as either of the two ways. I didn't write it as a choice to ask you who you liked more, or as a way to see which choice you think is more beneficial or easier for Tobor to carry out. It's meant to be a "interpret it as you want" choice. If you think that Tobor is trying to work out who he wants to see more, you vote accordingly, but if you think Tobor is weighing up which is easier, then vote that way.

Does that make sense? The way I figure this works is that you guys are Tobor when choosing it. Like with the choice to tell Bradon you forgive him, I left it up to you whether Tobor has forgiven him or not.

AgentZ46 posted: »

Personally I feel that the choice is presented in a way to make sure we readers know that there is no wrong choice. I think it's simply mean

• Just a quick butt in. You say that Tobor isn't too worried for her well-being. Just want to say that he is. Tobor knows that Mina can take care of herself, but that doesn't mean he isn't worried. Of course he wants to see if she is alright, he just isn't really letting himself think of what might have happened. Because we don't know if Mina has already followed the hooded man or not. If she has, what might have happened to her?

This is where I am not so certain. The thing is, Tazhyn is the daughter of Tobor's enemy and likely heavily guarded. As such, it sounds logi

• All very good points, I'm sure Tobor could figure out a way to get a message to her. Also, I think that because we aren't sure of her current feelings to Tobor, that's a reason to see her and find out? Perhaps it's just me!

[Mina] This might be as good a time as any to update her on his situation. Maybe, she would want to leave Meereen now. Also, she might have

• My mistake then.

I didn't actually write this choice as either of the two ways. I didn't write it as a choice to ask you who you liked more, or as a way to s

• Does sound like a pretty good reason to see her. :p

All very good points, I'm sure Tobor could figure out a way to get a message to her. Also, I think that because we aren't sure of her current feelings to Tobor, that's a reason to see her and find out? Perhaps it's just me!

• Not a problem or a mistake, I really like that there’s conversation going on about it!

My mistake then.

• Yeah, I do agree here, Tazhyn undeniably did a lot for Tobor as well, I just feel that Mina had more of a personal risk there. For all she did, Tazhyn never risked her life, because she had means to help without doing so. Mina however had to risk her life with most of the stuff she did. They were both crucial in getting him through these days, I just kinda feel like there has always been more at stake for Mina and I kinda want to honour that. That isn't to say I mean to belittle Tazhyn's role in helping Tobor, I kinda just feel like Mina did the more crucial things so far, at a higher risk for herself. And well, I suppose you bring up a point there, that Reznar might snap and punish Tazhyn, but in that case, Tobor cannot do anything to help her. I just feel like Mina might actually even require some help and Tobor could actually grant it in her case, due to the fact that he does not have to be afraid to be caught by Reznar's guards while visiting her. That being said, I am really excited to hear there will be Mina and Tazhyn parts coming up! They are both amazing and if it wouldn't be for my shameless Mina bias, this would probably be the hardest choice in the story for me (albeit I feel like Mina makes more sense to me personally even beyond that) and seeing them getting some spotlight while Tobor is away sounds really nice.

Also, about your other comment to my reply to Agent, I gotta share my thoughts about it here, if that is okay :)

Just a quick butt in. You say that Tobor isn't too worried for her well-being. Just want to say that he is. Tobor knows that Mina can take care of herself, but that doesn't mean he isn't worried. Of course he wants to see if she is alright, he just isn't really letting himself think of what might have happened. Because we don't know if Mina has already followed the hooded man or not. If she has, what might have happened to her?

Here, I gotta clarify. I don't mean to say that Tobor is not worried for her well-being, a thought in an earlier part clearly showed that he is worried, it's just that in this part, he showed confidence in her ability to survive, it's just that I myself do not share this confidence. I do as well assume he might not be all convinced, but just tries to convince himself. And well, naturally I am concerned, so I cannot even pretend I share his confidence =)

I can't say I'm surprised at all with your choice, Mina is your girl after all Lot's of very good points, I hadn't considered Reznar may

• Thanks for clarifying, yeah I completely understand everything you’re saying. It’s not an easy choice, but Mina perhaps is the better one.

Yeah, I do agree here, Tazhyn undeniably did a lot for Tobor as well, I just feel that Mina had more of a personal risk there. For all she d

• Mina perhaps is the better one.

I respectfully and strongly disagree. :p

Thanks for clarifying, yeah I completely understand everything you’re saying. It’s not an easy choice, but Mina perhaps is the better one.

• Voting is closed!

Tobor will visit [Mina]

I’ve said before I think this option would make more sense, as Liquid said due to pragmatism, but I thought it may be a more even split. Regardless, next part Tobor is going to see Mina and she will have a few interesting things to say to him. I’m writing the next part now and should have it out within a week, just thinking up the next few choices I’m going to put to you guys. Hopefully they’ll be the hardest ones yet... :D

• edited April 2018

Crucial Fights and Tested Faith
    Part IX

Mina stood on a rooftop, clothed in darkness and poised. The last several days had all been leading to this moment. After hours of bribing landlords from alehouses and inns for information on a man wearing a black hood, perhaps the most common of clothing, Mina had finally gathered enough information to find the man in the hood.

The first target she’d acquired had turned out to be a whore, making the rounds for wealthy merchants. The second was a young boy who proved to be merely leaving his house after nightfall to meet with a young girl where they would make their way to the docks and… well, Mina didn’t stay much longer after that. The third and fourth leads had both fizzled out, going nowhere.

This one was different. Mina had talked to a whore from the brothel near where she had met with the hooded man, she told Mina that some city guards had told her about growing unrest near the Loraq Pyramid regarding a gang of sorts. All the talk about it had whispered of a Westerosi wearing a hood. Mina visited the guards in question and after a short while had ascertained the information she needed.

A source had told the guards that a member of the gang was meeting in a tavern with a servant in the service of Reznar. Mina told herself that couldn’t be a coincidence. She would go to this tavern and listen in on the meeting, then follow the member back to find the hooded man.

Mina looked down over the edge of the roof and stared intently at the tavern. ‘The Harpy’s Tits’, it was called. Mina scoffed, she thought it was a ridiculous name. The meeting was scheduled for two hours past nightfall. It was more than an hour after nightfall.

Mina swung herself over the side of the building and dropped down, it was a fair height and the impact stung her ankles and knees but she deftly rolled into the fall, saving herself from real harm and springing back up swiftly. Brushing her dark red hair from her eyes, Mina walked into the tavern and lowered her hood. There’s not much more suspicious to a person in a secret meeting than seeing someone try to hide their identity.

Mina looked around quickly but subtly, scanning the room for the meeting. She was looking for two people that looked awkward and stiff. They would be unfamiliar with each other and quiet so to draw no attention. The irony was, that drew more attention in a tavern.

Mina saw only a group of men laughing and shouting, a man drinking alone with a tanker of ale and a young boy with a cup of water and a bowl of beef stew. Mina stood at the counter and the landlord asked what she wanted. “Wine. Cheap.” She replied.

Mina drummed her fingers on the wood as she waited for the drink. She heard the door open behind her and tensed slightly. She risked a look at the newcomer, it was a man who laughed gleefully as he entered. A woman was draped around his shoulders and shrieking with laughter.

“Ten tankards of your finest ale!” The man shouted drunkenly. The landlord nodded and set to work. The woman stumbled to the counter and leaned heavily on it, “And he will have a cup of wine!” She giggled. The man growled in mock anger at her joke. They giggled and Mina rolled her eyes.

The landlord placed Mina’s wine on the side and she thanked him, dropping several Meereenese silver coins on the counter for him. Mina turned around and chose to sit on the table between the solitary man and the young boy, facing away from the door. If this ‘gang’ were the hooded man’s people, they may well recognise her and they wouldn’t be happy about the death of the bearded man who’d tried to kill her.

Mina stroked the wine cup with her thumb as she bided her time, waiting for the meeting. The cup and the wine was poor quality but Mina didn’t care. She wasn’t going to drink it anyway. Mina held the cup under the table and quietly poured half the liquid out. It splattered on the ground and Mina felt some splash on her legs. Cursing silently, Mina placed the cup back on the table.

She hadn’t wanted to sit at the table with no drink, that was suspicious, but equally so was sitting with a full cup. Mina needed to be alert, so she couldn’t afford to drink any alcohol. Mina tapped her feet on the ground, feeling a small squelch when stepped in the red wine.

The drunk couple staggered to their table, slurring obscenities as they tried to carry all their tankards. Mina heard the door open and felt a small breeze of warm air as it swung shut. Her heart pounded as she heard whoever had walked in sit down next to the boy behind her.

“The night is warm on an evening such as this.” Mina heard someone say in the common tongue. Mina smiled. Westerosi, she thought. The boy stuttered his response. “As is the blood of a hunter.” Mina frowned, certainly an odd exchange, but this was Meereen. Strange things happened here.

Mina kept her focus intently on the conversation behind her, while absent-mindedly fiddling with her cup of wine. Mina’s breathing was short and sharp. She continued listening.

“Tell me what word you have.” The man ordered. Mina bristled as the moment she had been waiting for came about, this would prove whether the lead had been for nought. The boy’s response came quiet and timid. “The hunter escaped. He is in the city.”

Mina furrowed her brow. The hunter? She thought. Who was that?

“When?” The man growled. “This morning.” Came the squeaky answer.

“What happened?” The man asked. Mina gripped the table hard with her hands in anticipation. “After the attack, the hunter left the arena. No one knew where he went. Then came word he went through the sewers. He is in the city now.”

A sudden loud bang made Mina jump, she almost turned around but restrained herself. The man behind her had slammed his fist into the table. “I hope your master knows how much shit he is in with my own master now. Reznar has failed one too many times.” He snarled.

The boy sounded close to tears. “I’m sorry, let go of me Ser.” He choked. “I apologise on my master’s behalf.” Mina grinned despite the anger behind her, they were talking about Tobor. She had remembered what the locals were calling him, Arghurys. The Hunter. Tobor had escaped, in the sewers apparently. Mina wondered if he had left the city.

“Your apologies don’t mean shit to me boy. And I’m no Ser.” The man said bitterly. “If you have nothing more to tell me about the hunter then you are no more use to us. Tell Reznar that his ‘partner’ has had enough of his mistakes. Tell him he’d better hide his head in some whore’s cunt until we leave Meereen.”

The boy whimpered, “I cannot say that to my master, he will cut off my hands.” He sobbed. Mina heard the chair move backwards as the man stood up. “Why should I care?” He asked mockingly.

Mina heard the door open behind her, she looked around to look at the man. He was wearing a navy-blue cloak and brown boots. His hood was up. As soon as the door swung shut behind him, she stood up and walked towards it. She saw the boy sitting with his half-eaten bowl of stew, wiping tears from his eyes. She felt sorry for him.

Mina put her hood back up and stepped outside, careful not to make noise. She spotted the blue cloak flapping down the street to her left. Mina broke into a run, made her way to the house in front of her and set to work climbing up. She fluidly clambered up, her feet finding the optimal holds and her arms gracefully pulling herself towards the roof.

Mina rolled over the lip of the roof and got into a crouching position. She scanned the street ahead of her and spotted the blue cloak in the distance. Mina ran cat-like over the rooves of the houses that lined the street the man was on. When a gap between houses came, she would leap across and land near-silently, ready to continue running.

The man down below her was in a hurry, he had a purposeful stride that lead him deep into the poor area of Meereen. Mina kept up and kept an eye on him so as not to lose him. The pursuit lasted minutes, but Mina’s concentration made it longer in her head. Finally, the man slowed to a stop outside a house. Mina paused and lay down flat on the rooftop, she peered down and watched him knock rhythmically on the door. Three knocks, a pause then four more.

The door opened slightly and the man slipped inside. Mina cursed, she had been hoping she’d see more than that. Perhaps them meeting in the street or a square. Mina sighed, she’d been hoping for too much. It made more sense for them to be staying in a house.

Mina glanced around, trying to think of something to do. She saw that there was a window on the top floor of the house that opened into a small balcony. Mina grinned, she would get on top of the roof of that house and drop in through the balcony.

Mina looked across and saw the street narrowed further down. Making her way down the street, Mina turned and jumped across the gap. It was further than she expected and almost lost her balance, she waved her arms trying to regain her balance. Heart thumping, she maintained her footing.

Mina drew a shaky breath and padded along the rooftops back towards the house. It was the only one with a balcony, so Mina looked over the edge to make sure she was on the right house.

Mina lay down on her belly. She saw the balcony and began to swing her body round, to drop her legs over the side. The instant before she committed to the act of dropping onto the balcony, she heard voices. A flash of panic ripped through her and she rolled away from the side. Mina whispered a prayer that her legs hadn’t been seen dangling as she had moved.

Laying on her back, staring up at the night sky, Mina could feel her heart in her throat as she listened to the voices. There was no hint of alarm in them, so Mina relaxed very slightly.

“The slave said Tobor had escaped.” She heard. “Our other sources were correct then. He is in the city.” She heard another man say, his voice was different to the man she had heard in the tavern.

“What shall we do then? I told the slave to tell Reznar you were done with him.” She heard the man who wore the blue cloak say. Mina stiffened as she realised the man he was talking to was the hooded man.

“Good. I have no need of him. He is a fool and has proven useless with killing the boy.” The hooded man said.

“I agree, but if you had just given him more time in the arena perhaps…” The blue cloaked man began to say but was cut off by the hooded man. “Question me again and you will regret it. I sent our men in the arena precisely because of Reznar’s lack of prowess. The boy was lucky, no more. We will find him.”

“My apologies, I didn’t mean to doubt you.” Mina heard. She mulled over this conversation, clearly the hooded man was superior to the blue cloaked man, and the two of them had been using Reznar to kill Tobor. Mina had heard what had happened in the fighting pit on this day, but each story had been different. Some said it had been a slaughter with all who attended dying, some said it was a rebellion of the slaves and that Meereen would soon be overcome by the slaves.

Mina now knew that Reznar had sent in his men to kill Tobor, who had escaped.

“It matters not.” The hooded man said. “I have my contacts throughout the city, they will whisper to me of his whereabouts. Should he leave Meereen, I will follow him. He cannot be allowed to live.”

Mina heard footsteps below her, she tensed and rolled over to her stomach. She looked as far over the edge as she dared to and saw the back of a man’s head. Her belly did a somersault.

The man was standing just outside of the house, on the balcony, he stared out onto the street. He was wearing a dark cloak with the hood down. Mina stared at him. He was tall and had black hair. Mina couldn’t see what length it was as it was tightly bound in a knot on the back of his head.

Mina willed him to turn around, yet at the same time she prepared herself to run. Should the man turn around, Mina would have mere seconds to stand up and begin to run, because he would see her as soon as he did. Mina readied herself to look for the scorch mark on the man’s face. She remembered what Tobor had said.

“He has a mark on his face. It reaches down from his eyebrow, over his eye and down to his cheek and over his lips. It’s from a red-hot poker that I plunged onto his face.” Mina shuddered, imagining the pain that would cause a man. Mina thought back to the only time she had ever played with fire.

Grezan was younger then, and happier. Tavor was there too. Mina felt sad as she remembered her big brothers as they used to be. The three of them had been outside the city in the evening, playing make-believe as three Dothraki warriors. Mina could have only been six or seven years old.

Grezan and Tavor clashed mighty arakhs forged from sticks as Mina chanted and shrieked like she thought as Dothraki should. They had built a huge bonfire that roared in the night, expelling sparks that tumbled through the air and crackled like some beast.

Grezan and Tavor battled furiously, the clack clack of sticks hitting each other rang out in the night. Grezan finally disarmed Tavor who’s arakh went tumbling through the air landing softly in a patch of grass. Grezan grinned as Tavor panted his surrender.

Grezan shook his head, “Dothraki don’t surrender, they die! On your knees coward!” He ordered. Tavor shook his head but did as he was told. His younger brother had always been headstrong, so Tavor kindly played along. Mina squealed and spluttered in delight as Grezan sliced through Tavor’s pretend Dothraki braid.

Grezan held his trophy up as he cut Tavor’s throat. His brother fell to the floor and gave a dramatic performance of his death that would make any mummer jealous. “Victory is mine!” Grezan screamed. Tavor gurgled his approval.

Mina clapped. “My turn. My turn!” She shouted and turned to grab a burning stick from the bonfire, with the intent of wielding a mighty weapon. Grezan and Tavor both cried out for her to stop, but Mina had already dislodged the stick. With a mighty crackle, a log that had been balanced atop this stick fell.

The burning wood landed on Mina’s outstretched arm, instantly scorching her forearm and dropping to the floor. Mina screamed in pain and stumbled back, grasping her arm and tripping backwards. Sobbing on the floor, Mina looked down at her blistered arm. A weeping red wound had already formed, with black scorches around the edges.

Mina lay on the roof looking down at her, now scarred, arm. It was a coarse reminder of the pain and she winced, despite how much time had passed.

“…We will not do nothing. But we must find him first. Leave me, I must pray.” Mina heard a voice say, she snapped her attention back to the matter at hand. The man below her stepped forwards to the edge of the balcony and placed his hands on the stone barrier.

Mina stared at him, waiting for him to finish praying and to turn. Seconds dragged on into minutes and Mina’s eyes bored holes into the back of the man’s head. Finally, cursing and growing impatient Mina shook her head. She had had enough.

Mina shifted her body weight and her hand brushed a stone, an idea formed in her mind. Holding the stone, she thought about herself dropping it, or throwing it at the man on the balcony, so he would turn around and Mina would see his face.

Mina ran her thumb over the stone, it was cold. Mina bit her lip, should she do it? Or just wait for the man to turn around. Mina let go of the stone, it was too risky. She would just wait.

Just as Mina let go of the stone, the man moved to turn around. As time slowed down around her, Mina stared at the back of the man’s head as his face was about to come into view. Mina watched in horror as the man made to pull up his hood, he was still turned around, there was no way she’s see his face with the hood up.

Mina fumbled for the stone again and took hold of it, now was the time. Get his attention and see his face or let him go inside and miss the opportunity. She could still listen to the conversation, that’s if they would still talk where she could hear.

Mina raised her arm ready to throw.

[Throw the Stone] [Put the Stone Down]

• So I know I said that Tobor would see Mina again this part but the way the story progressed made me want to give Mina a choice here. All it has done is split the part in two, so next part will be the one where Mina and Tobor meet once more.

• Ah, Mina =) A pleasant surprise, I actually thought this part would show Tobor and that she and Tazhyn would get more parts only once he has left Meereen behind. And it was quite a nice part as well. I just love the way you're writing her and this part is no exception, with the glimpse of her backstory and her brothers in better days. Mostly though, this part was very informative when it comes to the motives of the people who hunt Tobor. It seems to me that this is not just someone on a personal vendetta against Tobor for scarring his face. This goes beyond that and I actually got the impression they are all hired by someone else, that the hooded man himself is merely working on someone's orders (even if Tobor likely made it personal as well). That explains why they'd hunt him down all the way to Slaver's Bay. For a moment, I even had the impression there are several parties intending to hunt Tobor down beyond just Reznar and the hooded man, but it seems everyone who isn't working for Reznar is at least connected to the hooded man and probably on his pay roll.

[Put the Stone Down]

This is definitely way too risky just to get a look at his face. The man will see her, he will likely send men after her and even if she manages to escape, he will know that she is spying on him in Tobor's name. This is simply a risk too big to take, as it will definitely make her a target as well and if he finds out where she lives, it might come at a serious price. So nope, no way I'm going to do that. Mina knows the most important thing, that this man is an enemy of Tobor, it matters little if he is the guy with the scar or someone else, his intentions are clear and anything beyond that would be just foolish.

Crucial Fights and Tested Faith Part IX Mina stood on a rooftop, clothed in darkness and poised. The last several days had all been lead

• [Throw the Stone] I highly doubt this choice will win but I'll pick it anyway. It's a hard one as it seems to be a choice between seeing the mans face or possibly hearing more useful information. I know it's risky but I think it'd be worth knowing if this man was not who Tobor thinks it is.

Man, I really like Mina. She's just so likeable.

Crucial Fights and Tested Faith Part IX Mina stood on a rooftop, clothed in darkness and poised. The last several days had all been lead

• [Throw the Stone]

• edited April 2018

You say it would be worth it for some reason, but is that small piece of information truly worth her life? I mean, why is it so important that she knows how the man looks? In return, he'd know she is spying on him, which would make any further activity from her way more risky or outright impossible and at worst it even puts Tobor at risk when he tries to contact her. She knows the man is an enemy of Tobor and that is all that really matters, so I am really curious why you would risk her life just to get a good look at his face.

[Throw the Stone] I highly doubt this choice will win but I'll pick it anyway. It's a hard one as it seems to be a choice between seeing the

• I'm confident that Mina will be fine (Though I'd be heartbroken if she died because of a choice I made) she seems pretty resourceful and she managed to escape the Hooded man before. And because it could either confirm or debunk Tobor's theory on who wants him dead. If Tobor is wrong, it'd change everything, there'd be someone else out there with a grudge that never crossed his mind and I think it'd be worth knowing. This is also a rare opportunity that I don't think should be missed. I doubt there will be another chance like this. To me it seems like a hit or miss opportunity, and a rare one that shouldn't be squandered.

You say it would be worth it for some reason, but is that small piece of information truly worth her life? I mean, why is it so important th

• Yeah, heartbroken, that sounds about right, think about how I'd feel if she dies because of a bad choice I tried to prevent. The thing is, last time she barely managed to escape. Who knows if she'll be fine this time? Also, knowing his looks is a really small piece of information. His plans are far more important and she would miss every chance to further spy on these people if she reveals her presence right now. After all, is his identity truly that important? No doubt it might be useful for Tobor, but think about what else she could uncover. Still, would you really risk her life just to know if there's someone else who wants to kill Tobor? The important thing is that someone wants to kill him, it matters little who it is. Besides, it's not like Mina would learn anything about the guy beyond how he looks, maybe he isn't even someone Tobor knows, but just some hired killer, which would leave us with exactly nothing. To me, this choice is either risking Mina's life for an absolutely trivial piece of information or keeping her safe and it should be clear which of these options is the good one, so I must say I am kinda scared that so far that a majority seems fine with risking her life for this (though I probably wouldn't have further elaborated on my thoughts otherwise). If she'd get a shot at killing the guy and making sure he cannot hurt her or Tobor, that'd probably be the only option that'd be worth risking her life for, but merely knowing how he looks won't help anyone, least of it all herself. Tobor will be fine, he will leave Meereen soon, but Mina is the one that has to keep evading the guy until Tobor makes good on his promise and I really don't think it's fair to risk her life for something so small.

I'm confident that Mina will be fine (Though I'd be heartbroken if she died because of a choice I made) she seems pretty resourceful and she

• A lot of nice conversation going on.

Liquid, I completely get what you’re saying. It’s a risk for sure, but I do think you’re underestimating how important seeing his face is. Perhaps it’s not worth the risk, which is up to you to decide whether it’s worth it, but I wouldn’t say it’s trivial information. The man’s identity depends on it. Additionally, remember how badass Mina is, she can handle herself. This guy is down on the balcony a good few feet below her. It’s not like he could jump up and grab her. Mina definitely backs herself to make an escape.

Another thing, she may not hear anything at all should she carry on listening. One of them said to the other “leave me, I must pray”. That seems like a pretty final end to the conversation. Who knows whether they’ll continue talking, I mean they already discussed their plan of waiting to hear word of Tobor and then acting on it.

However, Agent, Liquid is right. She may uncover so much more if she were to lay still and listen. The potential of what she could find out is huge, she could find out who they just from listening. They think they’re in private, perhaps a name could be mentioned. Who knows?

Both choices have their pros and cons, and I’m really loving the debate between you two on why you choose what. It’s very interesting and sometimes there are points brought up and angles that I’d never considered.

• [Put the Stone Down]
    I think I'll tie the voting here. Liquid and Bittersteel made good points that she might be able to gather more information if she doesn't expose herself here. Even though, I think she would be able to escape if she throws the stone at him.

• [Put the Stone Down]

My thought process is that Tobor probably already knows or suspects the burned face man is in Meereen or is hunting him. So while seeing this man's face could confirm or deny that HE's the Burned man it doesn't truthfully do anything of particular importance AND is clearly a riskier choice. I would rather Mina listen in more and get information that way. Such as what God's this man prays to in order to potentially narrow down nationality, and possibly even hear something important in the prayer!

• [Put the Stone Down]

• I just don't think they're going to discuss anything important. They discussed the important business. If they talk further it'll be nothing important. That's what I think.

A lot of nice conversation going on. Liquid, I completely get what you’re saying. It’s a risk for sure, but I do think you’re underestima

• Yeah, you are right and I would, after thinking more closely, not say that finding out what he looks like is trivial. It's just that I don't consider it worth the risk at all. It's not even a short term thing, I agree with Agent's argument that she is likely to escape in the short run. However, it will reveal her presence to the man and will make him a lot more careful in the long run. He will know that she in particular is spying on him, so maybe he will take precautions to make this impossible in the future, or he might end up luring her into a trap the next time she'll try something like this. Or, with Tobor leaving Meereen soon and being actually in a good position as part of a notable sellsword group, he could focus on hunting Mina down instead, to get information on Tobor, or just to get his revenge for her spying on him and killing one of his men. I consider this risk to be significantly smaller if he does not realize that she was listening to his conversation. So, I am concerned that her life might be at stake in the long run if we make her presence known here and that this is not worth the benefit of such an action, which would be knowing how he looks. The information we gain from his face might not be minor, but I consider her not as important as the price we might have to pay for it. Even if we don't learn much more from him in a possible further conversation, I think it is better for Mina's sake not to risk too much. She already learned her lesson about playing too close to fire as her flashback scene here has shown, so I don't think this is the right moment to start doing it again.

A lot of nice conversation going on. Liquid, I completely get what you’re saying. It’s a risk for sure, but I do think you’re underestima

• Voting is closed!

Mina will [Put the Stone Down]

It seems this was a tough choice for you guys, lots of talk about what’s the best option. Personally I’m not sure which one I would choose, and that’s with me knowing the outcomes of both of them! In the end the less risky option has been chosen but it remains to be seen what might still happen.

Next part will be out within a week, we’re (finally) nearing the end of the chapter and it’s been a long one. Probably longer than I intended or expected. I had a start point and an end point for this chapter. It started with Tobor telling the story about his attack in kings landing and ends with Tobor leaving Meereen, a lot more than planned just happened in between them!

I believe there will be 2 or 3 more parts of this chapter, depending on how it goes while I write it but there will be at least one more part from Tobor and one more from Mina!

• Hi everyone, sorry about the later posting I thought I'd be ok getting it out in a week but it's the middle of exam season for me so it's tough to find the time. The good news, however, is that I have some free time this afternoon, I'm going to sit down and focus on the next part, so I hope I can finish it in a few hours time.

Looking forward to it!

• Crucial Fights and Tested Faith
    Part X

Mina sighed and shook her head, throwing the stone wasn’t a clever move to make. Too risky. She placed the stone back on the top of the roof and froze. Mina heard a small scrape behind her. She tensed and whirled her head around seeing a man crouching behind her, intent on creeping up on her. Mina exploded into action and leapt up, swiping at the man with the dagger she’d just produced from the folds of her cloak.

The man swore and evaded the steel at the last second. The man below them had heard the commotion and he dived into the room once more, hood drawn over his face. Mina slashed again but the man was ready, he caught her by the wrist and twisted her arm into an agonising hold.

Mina cried out and dropped her blade. The dagger clattered over the edge of the rooftop and vanished from sight. Mina watched in horror as her prized dagger, and only weapon, was lost. The man smiled a twisted smile and struck her across the face with a harsh backhand. Mina fell onto her stomach, knocking the wind from her.

The man took hold of Mina’s ankle and began to drag her backwards. Sharp stones clawed at her exposed skin and through her clothes as she was ripped along the surface. Mina hissed in pain and lashed out wildly with a foot. It didn’t hit anything. “Trying to spy on us are you, little bitch.” The man growled. Mina kicked again and this time it sunk into the man’s stomach. He grunted but didn’t relinquish his hold.

Mina realised with a lurch in her chest that the man was dragging her towards the edge of the roof, he meant to throw her from the building. In one last effort, Mina threw her weight sideways, twisting on the ground so she was on her back now. The man was approaching the edge now, which drew near with haste.

Mina kicked upwards with her free leg and hit him in between the legs. The man doubled over, cursing in pain and clutching his crotch. Mina wasted no time in kicking up with both legs directly in the man’s face. Her boots collided with the man’s cheek and Mina heard a deep crunching sound.

His head whipped around to the side and put him off balance. Groaning in pain, the man placed a boot just a couple of inches too far. His boot scraped the side of the rooftop and went over. With all his weight resting on empty space, the man toppled over backwards, clutching at an invisible rope in the air.

Mina watched as he vanished over the edge just as her dagger had done. Below her, Mina heard a thudding sound as flesh and bone hit stone. Mina took a moment to realise what she’d done, she had killed again. Mina crawled to the side of the roof and peered down, the man looked like the crumpled page of a book. His legs protruded at unnatural angles, he had clearly landed on them, shattering bone. Then he’d fallen onto his back, leaving his head to smash into the cobbled street.

A red lake of blood extended from the spot where his head was, like a scarlet pillow he rested on. Mina bit back a sob and scrambled back from the edge. Breathing fast and shallow, she gagged and brought up the soup and bread she’d had earlier. Shuddering, Mina wiped her mouth and stood.

She heard noises from below, muffled voices. She couldn’t hear the words but they sounded urgent. Mina glanced back down at the body, she gasped as she saw two other men by it. One of them was touching the body, another was staring directly in her eyes. He pointed right at her.

Mina was out of breath, she’d been running for the better part of half an hour. After being spotted, she’d leapt rooftop to rooftop trying to escape them. They had been following her from down in the street, which was quicker by foot, but Mina could swap over to the houses on the opposite street. This left the men without a way to follow her. Mina had spotted a hole in one of the rooves and had dropped through it as quick as she could.

Mina scrambled into a dark corner of the attic area. She huddled herself in the corner and hugged her knees up to her chest. Mina gagged again and stuffed a fist in her mouth to keep her quiet. She couldn’t risk being heard now. Mina thought about the shape of the dead man when he had been lying on the stone below the roof. A tear rolled down her cheek.

Mina had never felt so alone, she had lost her dagger, Grezan was far away back at their house. Or more likely, at an alehouse or brothel. Tobor was somewhere in the city, she couldn’t rely on him. Mina did have other friends, or as close to friends come in Meereen, there were a group of children who she saw on occasion. But they wouldn’t, couldn’t, understand.

Mina stayed in the roof for the better part of an hour, making sure there was no chance she’d been spotted. Quietly making her way back to the hole, she peered out and saw no sign of anyone.

Mina creeped out, clambering up onto the rooftops of Meereen once more, she began stalking across the beams and ledges that lined the houses. Mina was going home.

Hopping down from the wall, Mina landed gracefully on the paved street outside her own house. Sighing and taking her hood down, Mina let the moonlight bathe her red-black hair and pulled the door open.

Mina stepped inside and shut the door again. As the wood slammed shut Mina drew a shaky breath and let her head fall forward, hitting the wood with a groan of fatigue. Mina was utterly drained. She stood there for minutes on end, just resting her forehead against the door. There was just one image that ran through her mind.

An abrupt crashing at the door ripped Mina from her trance and she leapt backwards deftly, springing into a defensive pose and instinctively reaching inside her cloak for her dagger. With a flash of panic Mina remembered her blade falling over the edge of the roof and realised that she’d been followed. But now she had no weapon.

Mina frantically glanced around the room, looking for something to defend herself with but she hadn’t lit the candles and it was dark. The door thundered open with a crack and the moonlight illuminated a figure in the doorway. Mina couldn’t see their face.

In a fluid movement, Mina pounced to the window and ripped open a curtain, flooding the room with more moonlight. Mina looked around hastily and snatched up a cooking fork. It wasn’t much but the two prongs looked sharp enough.

Mina went on the offensive, diving towards the figure and brandishing the fork.

“Woah, woah. Mina it’s me!” The figure said, holding up their hands. Mina stopped in her tracks. Now that the window was letting light in, Mina could make out the shape of a familiar face and the golden hair that fell over it’s eyes.

“Tobor!” Mina gasped. “You’re ok!”

Tobor chuckled, “I almost wasn’t, looking at that fork.” He joked. Mina looked down at the fork, then back at Tobor. She smiled sheepishly, “I…I.” She began, but her voice faltered. Mina dropped the fork and embraced Tobor. Tears threatened to spill, but she forced them back.

Tobor almost stepped back, surprised at Mina’s actions, then he wrapped his arms around her. The two of them stood like that for a moment, before a voice interrupted. “That’s nice and all, but perhaps close the door before you two lovebirds start shagging. Everyone can see.”

Armond came striding in and closed the door behind him. Tobor and Mina broke apart quickly. “Mina, this is Armond. Armond, Mina.” Tobor introduced swiftly. The two of them exchanged greetings.

“Tobor, why are you here? I heard about what happened, you in the pit, there was a rebellion. You escaped and then I heard people were trying to capture you, I thought you’d have fled the city by now but you’re here. I..” Mina rambled.

Tobor held his hands out, “Slow down.” He said calmly, “I’ll explain everything.” Mina nodded and told him to wait a moment. She walked over to the table and grabbed a piece of flint, then heaved a sigh, “Do either of you have a knife?” She asked. Armond frowned but handed her a blade.

Mina crouched by the fire and struck the steel with the flint, sparks cascaded from the blade and nestled into the small pit of kindling and timber Mina had built earlier that day. Blowing gently, Mina mothered the embers until they coughed into flames.

With the fire built up, Mina took a seat and invited the others to as well. After doing so, Tobor spoke. “It all started with my most recent fight, Reznar put me in a ‘Trial of the Seven.’ Six other fighters, one fight to the death.”

Tobor explained everything; the fight, how he’d seen the men dressed in black, how he’d attacked Reznar, then the escape and meeting Sibas, all the way to meeting the Second Son’s. Once Tobor had finished, Mina began telling her own story in return, how she’d found the leads that showed her towards the hooded man, and then up on top of his own building.

Mina told Tobor about the conversation she had overheard and Tobor listened intently, narrowing his eyes at the thought of the men trying to kill him. Mina missed out the part where she had kicked the man from the roof.

“Mina, thank you so much for doing that for me. I can never thank you enough.” Tobor said, once she had stopped talking. “You can help me by getting me out of this shitpile city.” Mina chuckled softly.

Tobor made an uncertain face. “I- But now I need to join the sellswords, I’m sorry Mina they made me swear. I know I promised to help you escape Meereen and I would never break that promise, I’m- I’m just not in a position to help you at the moment.” Tobor finished, apprehensive about Mina’s reaction.

Mina frowned and she saw Tobor shift nervously, “Unless…” Tobor said anxiously, “ I’m leaving with the Second Son’s tomorrow.” He said. Mina shrugged, “So what?” She asked curtly. Tobor nodded and continued, with considerably more excitement. “Come with me.” He said.

Mina looked taken aback, “What?” She asked, more out of shock than not understanding. Tobor leant forwards, “Come with me.” He repeated, “I can’t help you escape, but I can persuade Ben to take you with us, I suppose I can give him another half a year in my contract for it. After we get out of Meereen, you could… I don’t know, stay with us or find a village or a town.” He said eagerly.

“Mina, I do not want to break this oath. This is perfect for you. What does Meereen have left for you, only the hooded man and his men.” Tobor said. Mina shook her head. “And Grezan.” She said simply. Tobor made an ‘ah’ sound.

“I don’t want to leave my brother, Tobor.” Mina explained. Tobor waved it aside, “Bring him.” He said. Mina shook her head, “He won’t want to. And last time I suggested it he got really angry with me.” She said.

“Explain what’s happening, he’ll understand.” Tobor suggested. Mina ran her hands through her hair, “I don’t know, Tobor.” She said hesitantly. “Meereen has been our lives, I want to leave, but I don’t think Grezan is ready to.”

Tobor scratched his chin. “I can stay and help persuade him if you want. You mentioned he hates slavers and I did throw a spear at Reznar if that helps.” He offered. Mina laughed, but Armond butted in. “No, no, we are not staying any longer than we need to. I’m giving you a few more minutes then we’re going. You’re already costing me my left nut.”

Tobor nodded and looked back to Mina, “So what do you say?”

["Yes"] ["No"]

• ["Yes"] She knows that deep down, she wants to leave and even if want was the only factor, it's just not wise to stay. If Grezan doesn't want to leave than that's his choice.

Sorry to be that guy but for a good segment of the beginning I was like "Should've thrown the stone..." :D

Crucial Fights and Tested Faith Part X Mina sighed and shook her head, throwing the stone wasn’t a clever move to make. Too risky. She p

• edited May 2018

I hope you don’t think the consequences from a choice will only take effect in the next part? ;) I’ll joking with you of course, but i wonder what else might have been caused if the stone had been thrown, or what else still might happen since she didn’t throw it :D

["Yes"] She knows that deep down, she wants to leave and even if want was the only factor, it's just not wise to stay. If Grezan doesn't wan

• How could anybody say no to tobor?** ["Yes"]

Crucial Fights and Tested Faith Part X Mina sighed and shook her head, throwing the stone wasn’t a clever move to make. Too risky. She p

• ["Yes"]
    Why not. It is probably her safest option, at the moment.

• ["Yes"]

• edited May 2018

Took me a bit longer to answer, my apologies, but I made it in time :) Now, I loved this part, of course I did. Badass Mina is best Mina, though what I actually liked the most was the fact that you showed quite well that she is not some cold-blooded killer and even though she has been forced to take a life again, she doesn't just shrug it off and goes on. Even otherwise heroic people such as Tobor have shown to have relatively little problems with killing to protect themselves or those they care for, but while Mina has the same mindset when really pushed, I like her reaction here.

So, I know I advocated quite heavily in favour of not throwing that stone last time and just with the knowledge we had back then, I'd make it a thousand times again. However, I have to agree with Agent, throwing the stone does seem to have some surprising benefits in retrospect. My main concern was that she'd blow her cover by doing so and I stand by it, she would have blown her cover, but now we know that was inevitable regardless. It seems we missed out on some piece of information. At the same time, I think maybe there can be some benefit from not throwing the stone as well. The hooded man is now confident that she has not seen his face and maybe this will be good for her, as he probably won't put too much value into finding her. If she'd know how he looks... well, let's just say he seems to have reason to hide his true identity, so maybe this knowledge, while beneficial for Tobor, could have ended up quite dangerous for Mina. Ah, who knows, but while it might look like a missed chance right now, I suppose there can also be benefits from not throwing the stone in the long run.

Now, the rest of the part was simply amazing as well. I do love Mina and Tobor, they have a great chemistry and what I particularly like is how their interactions show a side not often seen in her at least. Of course, Armond had to ruin the mood, but by now, I'd say he is perhaps the only person she could even consider a friend in this entire city. As such, I am really happy we chose to visit her as Tobor, because I can't get enough of their interaction and I am really excited to read more of it =)

["Yes"]

Surprise? Probably not ;) Seriously though, how could I choose anything else? I must admit, I am surprised at this choice even if it makes perfect sense. It just never occured to me that Mina might be able to accompany Tobor when he leaves with the Second Sons. In retrospect, I feel stupid because of how much sense it makes to give her this chance right here, but I legitimately thought she'd remain in Meereen for longer. And well, the sooner she leaves the better, because the city has gotten way too dangerous with the hooded man knowing that she is spying on him now. Sellsword life might not be for her, but I am certain she can find something to do. I am a bit regretful over Grezan, especially as I like their complicated relationship, but at the same time, I doubt he will ever be ready to leave Meereen, at least for the time being. I think Tobor has decided pretty firmly that he will return one day regardless, to tie up his lose ends with Reznar and the Hooded Man and for Tazhyn, so maybe Mina can go with him now, get some development outside of Grezan's rather oppressive presence and eventually return to give him the same offer Tobor just gave her, once he himself is ready. For now though, I think this will be good for her. She needs to get out of the city, for herself, her well-being and development. Right now, I don't see a chance for Grezan to decide the same, but maybe some distance will be good for them and he'll eventually come around. And now that it has sunken in that yes, her leaving the city with Tobor and the other characters is actually an option, I must say I am super excited to see how she'll interact with them and in what way this will take her character :)

Here I am curious, if Tobor would have decided to visit Tazhyn, would there have been a similar choice? With her potentially being able to accompany him, I mean. While she hasn't shown the same desire to leave the city when compared to Mina, I suppose there can be several good reasons why she might want to leave as well.

• ["Yes"]

• edited May 2018

I would've loved such a choice for Tazhyn but doubt it. I don't think it'd be possible to leave and it's hard to say if she'd even want to.

Took me a bit longer to answer, my apologies, but I made it in time Now, I loved this part, of course I did. Badass Mina is best Mina, thou

• Yeah! I’m really enjoying writing Mina and exploring how she is not the typical hero who kills and is fine with it, obviously we’ve seen how Tobor regrets killing. Like with the guard when he was auctioned and the one who he had beaten after his most recent fight in the arena. But regardless, he doesn’t feel nearly as guilty. Mina has grown up rough, and therefore strong. But she hadn’t killed before the events of the story, and it’s changed her.

Well, there were pros and cons of not throwing the stone, and there were pros of cons of throwing the stone. In time, the longer term effects of this choice will present themselves, and in a few parts I will also feel comfortable (if people want) the outcome of what would have happened if Mina had thrown the stone.

Now, regarding Tazhyn the short answer is no, there wouldn’t have been the same choice. I have a few reasons for that. The long answer is no, not really. While Mina has been advocating for a long time that she wanted to leave the city, Tazhyn has a whole life there. Her father, her sister and the friends she has both in the service of her father and in the city. Another thing is that Mina has already had POV chapters so I felt comfortable giving her such a potentially large consequential choice, but with Tazhyn being (currently) an exclusively secondary character, I felt that giving her a large choice wouldn’t feel consistent.

Here’s where it might get a little confusing. From an in-universe perspective, it makes perfect sense for Tazhyn to be given the choice to leave. But the thing is, if I’d written it from the perspective of Tazhyn, and if you guys had chosen for Tobor to visit her then when I gave you the choice for Tazhyn to leave with Tobor, it was likely you would all say Yes leave with him. That’s what I predicted for this one too, it’s not that surprising. And that’s what my issue is, while for Mina it would make sense both narratively and for her character, for Tazhyn it would be cool narratively, but it would go against her character. She doesn’t want to leave.

So what I would have done, were you to pick Tazhyn to visit. I would have written it from Tobor’s perspective and given Tobor the choice to offer for her to come with him, but I’m afraid Tazhyn would have said no. Sadly, it’s just not consistent with her character for her to leave her whole life. Her and Mina are just very different.

Hope that explains my reasoning.

Took me a bit longer to answer, my apologies, but I made it in time Now, I loved this part, of course I did. Badass Mina is best Mina, thou

• Would asking Tazhyn have had any sort of effect on their relationship?

Yeah! I’m really enjoying writing Mina and exploring how she is not the typical hero who kills and is fine with it, obviously we’ve seen how

• Since Tazhyn wouldn’t be expecting it, she wouldn’t have been upset if Tobor hadn’t asked her as she wouldn’t have known Tobor was even thinking of asking her. But if he had, Tazhyn would have felt pleased that Tobor wanted her to come with him.

Would asking Tazhyn have had any sort of effect on their relationship?

• Aye, this surely explains it. I wasn't so certain if she would want to leave, though I understand that she really doesn't, at least not at this point. Makes me hope that she'll eventually come around, but considering that her sister and her friends are probably decent people, I begin to fear that she and Tobor won't have a future together, because ultimately, I really cannot see him staying in Meereen. But hopefully, she will change her mind when he returns to Meereen, who knows what'll happen in the meantime. My hope was that her relationship to Reznar has cooled off enough, but one huge difference between her and Mina is, Mina really only has her brother and their relationship is probably not less complicated than Tazhyn's and Reznar's, but Tazhyn has an entire life beyond that, she has a sister, she has friends, likely duties she takes quite seriously. And that is without taking the change of lifestyle into account. While I don't see her as shallow, someone who just wants to live in wealth and luxury, I guess it's pretty natural that adjusting to life among sellswords would have hit her harder than it likely will hit Mina. Here's hoping we don't ruin things between her and Tobor.

And I definitely understand the reasoning here, thanks for explaining it :) Surely, it makes sense not only from an in-story perspective with Tazhyn simply not wanting to leave (albeit Tobor at least offering it to her would have been sweet for sure), but from an out of story perspective as well, as giving her such a huge choice right away would have indeed felt a bit odd. Especially considering that she would have accompanied Tobor, the main PoV, therefore kinda limiting the new stuff you could show in her own parts. It's different for Mina, who not only already had a couple parts of her own, but also always struck me as more independent, while I am not sure how much new stuff Tazhyn's PoV could offer if she is around Tobor. Obviously, things are vastly different now, as Mina will most likely leave, making her the only PoV left in the city, so I actually look forward for Tazhyn's role and how this might change her, probably just as much as I look forward for Mina's development outside of Meereen.

Yeah! I’m really enjoying writing Mina and exploring how she is not the typical hero who kills and is fine with it, obviously we’ve seen how

Sign in to comment in this discussion.