The Last of Us Discussion Thread

Comments

• So I should hope that Elden Ring will end up being a linear first person shooter instead of an open-world Dark Souls game. That would definitely subvert my expectations but does that mean they deserve an applause for it?

GamesIndustry.biz, (more specifically, Ollie Jones, who is writing for GamesIndustry.biz) has wrote a piece where they describe The Last of

• I'm not sure I want to. For me, the damage is done. "Better for not giving player what they want" is hardly very reassuring.

GamesIndustry.biz, (more specifically, Ollie Jones, who is writing for GamesIndustry.biz) has wrote a piece where they describe The Last of

• does that mean they deserve an applause for it?

I mean, if you have a spare round of applause that you haven't had any opportunity to use, why not give it to them?

AronDracula posted: »

So I should hope that Elden Ring will end up being a linear first person shooter instead of an open-world Dark Souls game. That would definitely subvert my expectations but does that mean they deserve an applause for it?

• Oh go on, it won't do any harm, it may do some good :wink:

MaconMajr posted: »

I'm not sure I want to. For me, the damage is done. "Better for not giving player what they want" is hardly very reassuring.

• If I may ask, what exactly did it not give them?

• You should definitely check out this person's Youtube channel. ("Caitlin")

They've been posting a lot of tiny videos of small overlooked details in TLOU2 and its all pretty cool.

chiming in for no particular reason to say i'm once again replaying the last of us 2 and i have once again fallen in love with everything about it. also replayed tlou1 and love it even more. great games.

• Why would I give it to someone who pissed me off?

does that mean they deserve an applause for it? I mean, if you have a spare round of applause that you haven't had any opportunity to use, why not give it to them?

• edited July 2021

I thought they already started filming a few weeks ago.... (The director tweeted out a mysterious picture of Calgary. Maybe he was just checking out filming locations.)

Apparently the filming is supposed to go until June of next year! (So we might not see this show until early 2023 I'd bet)

https://twitter.com/bestofvidgames/status/1410992826167463940

• Eh, he's got a point @dylanwoods777 : that's not exactly hard to do

Why would I give it to someone who pissed me off?

• oh boy i wonder what scene they're filming i sure do hope it's a fun one

https://twitter.com/bestofvidgames/status/1410992826167463940

• you do realize that the soulsborne series is already the king of not giving you what you want right. like the games are entirely marketed as "you're going to get your ass kicked and lose everything you have 70 times and some of your favorite characters are just going to abruptly die because you didn't read the wikipedia and figure out how to finish their obscure questline".

So I should hope that Elden Ring will end up being a linear first person shooter instead of an open-world Dark Souls game. That would definitely subvert my expectations but does that mean they deserve an applause for it?

• See now, I was having a laugh with you.

On a more serious note, I strongly suggest you actually try to move on, because you dedicate an unhealthy amount of attention to something you clearly don't like, and constantly refer to it when something bad happens. You did the same with A New Frontier, you did the same with Outlast 2, do you not get bored? You clearly don't like the game, but you are so hung up over that, and always talk about how it was a "betrayal", how Naughty Dog ruined the story, how they lied, how you were such a big fan, and how they went and did you dirty. Can I propose that maybe the issue isn't the content, but your attitude towards the content? I know from reading this thread that plenty of people have given well laid out reasons for decisions in the story, character motivations, and you essentially take that, ignore it and complain once more about how you were betrayed.

You don't have to like the game, but it just appears you don't consider what is presented to you and just wish to continue bashing for bashing sake. Like, if you put your hand into the fire, you can't say it's the fire's fault, you make that decision yourself. Like AChicken took over this thread in the hopes it would get you to move on but you persist in jumping on just to talk about how the game has ruined gaming for you.

Here's a game suggestion, a super mellow one: Slime Rancher. You cater to your Ranch, you build it up, it's relaxing, have a try at that instead of waking up every day to blame the inconveniences you experience as a direct consequence of The Last of Us Part II's experience. The fortunate thing is that there are hundreds of games, you're bound to find one you'll like, rather than solely focus on what you don't, I don't understand how you can do that matey.

Why would I give it to someone who pissed me off?

• I be joking with him man

DabigRG posted: »

Eh, he's got a point @dylanwoods777 : that's not exactly hard to do

• edited July 2021

I am working on something which should just end my whole support for this franchise. And no, it's not what you think it would be. It's something else. Also, I already moved on from Outlast 2. I have nothing to say about that game.

See now, I was having a laugh with you. On a more serious note, I strongly suggest you actually try to move on, because you dedicate an u

• have a try at that instead of waking up every day to blame the inconveniences you experience as a direct consequence of The Last of Us Part II's experience.

Also, this isn't true. I'm not complaining every time someone talks about TLOU. Did you see me talk about the HBO show or the one year anniversary? I'm only responding to nonsense and horrible decisions.

See now, I was having a laugh with you. On a more serious note, I strongly suggest you actually try to move on, because you dedicate an u

• Well I think that's good, I just don't quite grasp how you maintain such a consistent level of dislike for the past year, I just think you should try out more games and focus on what you like rather than let what you don't like be what you converse about. We all have likes and dislikes, but focusing on what we dislike all of the time, it'll only make us miserable.

You have commented on the HBO Show if I recall correctly, as for the one year anniversary, I don't know if you did or didn't. I said that you seem to always bring up The Last of Us Part II specifically but you also seem to always chime in to share how you felt the game was a stab in the back when someone says something about it. We've all got opinions... but from where I sit, I just think you torture yourself with what you don't like and blame it rather than removing yourself from it and migrating to something you do like. Look at the positives, you don't always have to be angry, just find something you do like and appreciate it instead of submerging yourself into an aggression filled pool over what you don't like.

I am working on something which should just end my whole support for this franchise. And no, it's not what you think it would be. It's something else. Also, I already moved on from Outlast 2. I have nothing to say about that game.

• I don't think I mentioned this before. But I get a lot of shit from those fanboys who tell me that I hated the game because I didn't understand story or because I am a Joel fanboy. They are just as bad as the haters if you ask me. I am working on something which would help me point out all my real issues with the game without having to respond to every single one of them.

You have commented on the HBO Show if I recall correctly, as for the one year anniversary, I don't know if you did or didn't.

Did talk about HBO but that was ages ago. I don't care about it at all unless I hear bad decisions about it.

Well I think that's good, I just don't quite grasp how you maintain such a consistent level of dislike for the past year, I just think you s

• I'll say this not in a way to aggravate but I'm simply posing the possibility... maybe you don't understand the story? Don't take that as some attempt to wind you up, it's not, I'm not insulting you, but maybe there's aspects of the plot you just aren't registering?

I couldn't care if you are a Joel fanboy, if you are, so what, we are all "fanboys" of something or another, for example, I'm a "fanboy" of The Walking Dead: The Telltale Series, I love it, someone calling me a fanboy doesn't change that.

I personally wouldn't equate people that say "Maybe you don't understand the story" to those who hate, what's the similarity there? It doesn't make you stupid, but we don't absorb all things that the plot contains by our lonesome, sometimes it takes an outside perspective to point it out. I can only say so much because I haven't played the game, I understand some of the key components of the plot, but that's it.

I don't think I mentioned this before. But I get a lot of shit from those fanboys who tell me that I hated the game because I didn't underst

• edited July 2021

I'll say this not in a way to aggravate but I'm simply posing the possibility... maybe you don't understand the story? Don't take that as some attempt to wind you up, it's not, I'm not insulting you, but maybe there's aspects of the plot you just aren't registering?

My point is that what difference does it make if I understood the story completely? I can like something and not understand it at the same time and vice versa. I watched Lost on Disney+ and I didn't really understand everything that was happening, not even in the controversial finale, yet I still found myself enjoying the show and its ending. I understood what was going on in TLOU2 and I didn't like it, simple as that.

I'll say this not in a way to aggravate but I'm simply posing the possibility... maybe you don't understand the story? Don't take that as so

• as a huge tlou2 fanboy i am actually gonna have to side with aron here, not understanding something and not liking something are not really hand and hand. i have absolutely no idea what's happening thematically or even story wise in evangelion half the time and yet i love it, on the other hand i comprehend silent hill: revelation perfectly and i despise it in every way. at worst aron just has a different interpretation of the themes and story, i'm sure he understands it just fine for the most part, and he's perfectly free to dislike it even if he didn't.

I'll say this not in a way to aggravate but I'm simply posing the possibility... maybe you don't understand the story? Don't take that as so

• Yes, I understand that, I am the same with other IP's, but what I was trying to say to you is that maybe going a bit deeper to uncover more about the plot, may or may not make you reconsider your stance that honestly, I do find to be a harsh one.

Like for me, I can determine if I like or do not like something without going beyond what I see with my own two eyes, but there's miniscule harm in going that extra mile to see what it means, I may not change my mind, but I have a better understanding of it, and can still dislike something.

@ClemyClooAndBabyboo I get what you are saying, and by all means he is able to determine for himself if he likes The Last of Us, or other games or something without examining it to the point where he has reached the string of coding for the game, I just posed the possibility of Aron maybe not getting what it all meant, not to aggravate or to cause something, but to have him consider researching the game. He has played it so that of course is pretty big and does most of the job. But by no means am I trying to make him feel stupid or come across as calling him such. I just wanted to him to make an effort to move on because this has been a thing for the past year and I think others are tired of it, but it's just not healthy to dwell on something he has made very clear to many people on here that he doesn't like.

• edited July 2021

i totally feel you my dude, i also DM'd him not long ago and offered a different perspective on it, and i too would like him to move onto talking about something he likes instead, but if we're being honest he's probably looked into the game way more than you or i have, and I think the game is amazing, so that's saying something

at this point i've simply accepted than aron has his own valid reasons for disliking the game and has done his own fair share of research and has been fairly open minded to other takes, and if he still doesn't like it and he feels betrayed by naughty dog due to how much he adores the first game, then he's perfectly valid to feel that way.

it can become a bit much at times, absolutely no offense btw @AronDracula , but he's expressing himself the way he feels most comfortable doing it, so far be it from me to stop him. i was probably just as loud about my cringe ass "omid caused lee's death" theory when i first started posting here 7 years ago. and i think everyone here has been just as loud about something they're passionate about.

at the end of the day, i think it's splendid he's making cool youtube videos and deep analysis on these forums about the game. it just shows me that the game had a lot to say and did a lot of new things and the debate and discussion means that the game will never die in my mind, because we'll always be right back here in this thread talking about how we feel about it and how it affected us, and aron's role in that discussion is just as important as you or i.

it's great to hear the opposite of what you think when it comes to media because that can help you appreciate what you love more, or sympathize with the people who maybe didn't enjoy it as much. it's the whole reason i even still post here, hearing what different people from all walks of life have to say about things. as long as aron's not preaching weird alt right ideals or calling for the death of people at ND, he's not hurting anybody by speaking his mind.

that's just me though and i'm not very smart lmaooooo

Yes, I understand that, I am the same with other IP's, but what I was trying to say to you is that maybe going a bit deeper to uncover more

• edited July 2021

at the end of the day, i think it's splendid he's making cool youtube videos and deep analysis on these forums about the game.

I appreciate your wisdom. However, I think you're gonna be disappointed with my next video because it will be like the end of my analysis. It will not continue where I left off, it's gonna be about my whole overview of the game. You will know why when you watch it.

i totally feel you my dude, i also DM'd him not long ago and offered a different perspective on it, and i too would like him to move onto ta

• I'm sorry you ended up feeling that way. If I can reassure you on something, it's that this was my initial reaction to the game. The emotional rollercoaster that this game ended up being left me emotionally drained. It felt like Neil Druckmann somehow wasn't satisfied with a game who didn't pull any punches on our heartstrings, so he has decided to top that with a sequel with little to no peace, no rest. The punches just kept coming.

So while I ended up appreciating the game for being the way it was, I can definitely understand why you ended up disliking it. Not everyone is okay with playing a game that makes one feel tremendously angry or sad like this. You can rest assured at least that even if Ellie has lost a lot, she ended up getting over her loss of Joel and her last conversation with him was making her reevaluate her life's worth.

There's hope. Both of the protagonists just had to suffer a lot before getting there.

MaconMajr posted: »

As I mentioned I'm also a HUGE fan of The Last of Us. My brother got me Part 2 a year ago. And I was SUPER eager to play. I tried to avoi

• There's hope. Both of the protagonists just had to suffer a lot before getting there.

What kind of hope? There is nothing to contine after this. The damage is done.

I'm sorry you ended up feeling that way. If I can reassure you on something, it's that this was my initial reaction to the game. The emotion

• The kind of hope that involves both protagonists healing from grief and becoming better people. The more open-ended ending definitely leaves the door open for another story to tell, particularly on Ellie's side. The damage might be done for you, but how about you let the rest of us decide?

There's hope. Both of the protagonists just had to suffer a lot before getting there. What kind of hope? There is nothing to contine after this. The damage is done.

• but how about you let the rest of us decide?

Who said I wouldn't? I said my piece.

The kind of hope that involves both protagonists healing from grief and becoming better people. The more open-ended ending definitely leaves

• edited July 2021

Why you'd feel the need to tell me that the damage is already done, then? You've already made it clear what you thought of the game throughout the past year. Isn't it enough?

• Not until I release something special so I don't have to think about this franchise ever again.

Why you'd feel the need to tell me that the damage is already done, then? You've already made it clear what you thought of the game throughout the past year. Isn't it enough?

• You don't even have to think about this franchise right now, though...

• edited July 2021

I wouldn't have if ND didn't celebrate its 1 year anniversary. They may be happy but doesn't mean I should. Plus, I am running out of games which I am interested to play right now. I still can't buy a PS5 to play Demon's Souls.

You don't even have to think about this franchise right now, though...

• edited July 2021

No, you don't have to be happy with their game. You also don't have to voluntarily go out of your way to counter their fun. Come on, dude. Just let it go.

• No, you don't have to be happy with their game.

True.

You also don't have to voluntarily go out of their way to counter their fun.

Also true.
    You can't expect Naughty Dog's and Sony's biggest PS4 release to go over its first anniversary and not hear about "one year ago today, this HUGE thing came out!!" let alone from the people who made it themselves.

No, you don't have to be happy with their game. You also don't have to voluntarily go out of your way to counter their fun. Come on, dude. Just let it go.

• So it'll probably go like this:
    1. Joel, Tommy, and Sarah
    2. Joel and Tess
    3. Joel meets Marlene
    4. Joel meets Ellie
    5. Tess leaves
    6. Ellie runs away
    7. Henry and Sam
    8. Joel and Sam
    9. Tank boss
    10. The Morning After

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1412485659202359298

• edited July 2021

I say Ellie might appear at the very end of Episode 1 or in Episode 2. No way they keep one of the most popular characters in gaming (and the lynch pin of the series) for the fourth episode.
    They're going to do a lot of filming, up until mid next year, so I think it might be the entirety of Part I. (I feel like this was confirmed?)

I'm betting that -- if it follows the same beats from the game -- we get...
    1. Intro and Chasing Robert, reveal of Ellie
    2. Escaping the Quarantine Zone, also find out Ellie is immune.
    3. Tess sacrifices herself at the Capital, Meet Bill part 1. End at the truck in the school.
    4. Bill Part 2. End upon crashing into Pittsburgh.
    5. Pittsburgh Part 1. Meet Sam and Henry at the end.
    6. Pittsburgh Part 2, end with just before the dam.
    7. The Dam attack, journey to the University, end with the Firefly ambush or Joel's supposed death.
    8. Winter chapter, jumping between Ellie and Joel.
    9. Spring. Events up until the Hospital.
    10. The hospital rescue. Plus, maybe some epilogue content.

About an hour per episode, and cutting down lengthy gameplay segments (or maybe adding some stuff too) would bring it up to that list.

DabigRG posted: »

So it'll probably go like this: 1. Joel, Tommy, and Sarah 2. Joel and Tess 3. Joel meets Marlene 4. Joel meets Ellie 5. Tess leaves 6. Ellie runs away 7. Henry and Sam 8. Joel and Sam 9. Tank boss 10. The Morning After

• Ellie might appear in Episode 1

That was at the back of my mind.

Most popular characters in gaming

Uh, is she?

Might be entirety of Part i

Considering this is the first season , I would think they'd want to split the game apart.

Not only is it pretty long, but Part Ii just came out last year.

Meet Bill

Oh yeah, I forgot about Bill! How the hell did that happen?

The Dam

Okay, you're gonna have to bring me up to speed on that one.

Winter Chapter

I originally thought about them ending it right before that. It's easily the most compelling place and the game takes a memorable turn there. Plus, the David stuff has enough material and plot significance to warrant at least three episodes.

AChicken posted: »

I say Ellie might appear at the very end of Episode 1 or in Episode 2. No way they keep one of the most popular characters in gaming (and th

• I'm inclined to agree, like look, I haven't played the game, but if I know the internet as well as I think I do, I think it makes things sound much worse then they actually are. Aron played it, I haven't, he didn't like it, that's fine, I only really initiated the conversation as like it's boring to continuously dwell on how much you hate a game, there's other games to play so why waste the energy and get yourself worked up when it's been the same behaviour for the past year? I've made peace with it at this point, still think it's a bit absurd but y'know, it's his view.

And I too think that it is incredible to see that the game is still being talked about a year afterwards, like positive or negative, it shows the phenomenon that The Last of Us is, how it can be actively discussed despite how much discussion has taken place since it released last year.

When it comes to opposing views, I do consider them, I think today though, it's often interpreted that you don't like opposing views because you find them ludicrous or bat-shit insane, I don't find Aron's to be either of the two, but I think that negative energy could be focused into something that would provide more joy, as I look at this as dwelling on something that caused misery. But yes, so long as it's not some kooky alt-right conspiracy theory nonsense or sending death threats, or even being downright disrespectful, then no harm no foul.

Only got around to a response now as I have been exhausted from work, I'll be taking full advantage of these couple of days off :joy:

i totally feel you my dude, i also DM'd him not long ago and offered a different perspective on it, and i too would like him to move onto ta

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

Hey wait, since when were you on here too

Sign in to comment in this discussion.