Game-Style?

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Good at the time "toon" style graphics age a lot better the good at the time "realistic" style graphics. Case in point Okami V.S. Halo 1.
  • edited August 2010
    I still don't see your problem with the graphics. Who cares what the graphics look like anyway. As long as the game is fun.

I want you to pick your favortie modern game that you play a lot. If that game had bad graphics, would you honestly not like it as much as you do now?

Edit:
    Let's take a step back for a moment. Going by what TellTale has done so far they often use the look and design that best fits the game. Wallis and Gromit looked like the original short films, Monkey Island and Sam and Max had there look, and CSI had the televison shows look. Why should we expect any less with Jurassis Park? What ever story they're going with I'm sure they're going to keep the look of what we saw in the movies like every other Jurassic Park game did.
  • edited September 2010
    I'm guessing that the games won't be the movies, just similar to the movies, just curious what the plot is, i'm also curious of the plot to back to the future as well as the poll is closed now, so i can't find out any plots at all. Could you maybe post the possible plots please? It doesn't even have to be the right one.
  • edited September 2010
    I still don't see your problem with the graphics. Who cares what the graphics look like anyway. As long as the game is fun.

Edit:
    Let's take a step back for a moment. Going by what TellTale has done so far they often use the look and design that best fits the game. Wallis and Gromit looked like the original short films, Monkey Island and Sam and Max had there look, and CSI had the televison shows look. Why should we expect any less with Jurassis Park? What ever story they're going with I'm sure they're going to keep the look of what we saw in the movies like every other Jurassic Park game did.

That's obvious and that's what I've been telling people all along, TT is a professional company after all, there's no reason why the JP game couldn't look like it should. I agree with you 100 %.

I want you to pick your favortie modern game that you play a lot. If that game had bad graphics, would you honestly not like it as much as you do now?

A lot of people wouldn't like a game with bad graphics, I know that. Even when the Alien vs Predator 3 trailers started coming out people were already complaining about the graphics :rolleyes: even if the game looked good enough for what it did.
    Monkey Island, Sam and Max, Wallis & Gromit. Why only make games that are cartoony?

Damn, I must be talking about the wrong company then :rolleyes:, how silly of me.

Can you help me then? Can you tell me who did those CSI games?
    Why take a movie that is not a cartoon and turn it into one within a video game?

Wait, they already released ingame footage of JP? OMG you have to show then to me!
    I'm not directly aiming that at Sam & Max, but more rather just the entire of tell tale games' library.

*uff* Just like the tipical uninformed guy you're assuming that next TT games are going to look like that just because most (not all!) of their games are cartoony. And BTW, I still think that even with the cartoon looks Sam & Max and Monkey Island are more mature than Gears of War or Halo.

Just to humor you:
    Gears of War, Unreal Tournament, BulletStorm. Why only make games that have aliens and men with steroids? :P
  • edited October 2010
    Did you miss the CSI screenshot I posted?

Edit: Something I just remembered that's going to drive you crazy. Watch the original Jurassic Park again. Specifically, watch the scene with Nedry and the Dilophosaurus. When Nedry slips and falls down the hill, listen very carefully to the sound effect the foley artists chose for that moment.

Now tell me Jurassic Park isn't a cartoon. :P

Are you joking? Seriously? "Now tell me Jurassic Park isn't a cartoon"
    Wow, unbelievable.
    So right, because the slipping sound is comical, it makes Jurassic Park a cartoon? Is that what your implying?

Drive me crazy? Lmao no, I've come across silly people a lot on my time on the internet.

And CSI? Have you seen the reviews of that? It's good for screen shots, sure, but it's not good for actually playing! Check out the game reviews, it'll "drive you crazy.".
  • edited October 2010
    I know one thing we can do to improve this place...
  • edited October 2010
    Who cares about the design of the web and the forums? It's just there. I just come here to check updates on their games, and to chat about them.

JP-Legacy hasn't a great desing either, you know?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2010
    evilrex wrote: »
    Hmmm indeed. Big news, just imagine a jurassic park game with these graphics:

sam_max_consoles.jpg

I think I'll stick with JPOG a 7 year old game with graphics 10 times better.

simjp2010072321214084.png

Fortunately for everyone involved, the Telltale Jurassic Park game won't look like either of those screenshots.
  • edited October 2010
    evil_rex wrote: »
    And CSI? Have you seen the reviews of that? It's good for screen shots, sure, but it's not good for actually playing! Check out the game reviews, it'll "drive you crazy."

Yes, we all know that what a few reviews have to say regarding the graphics of a game from 2006 completely invalidates any possibility that a game released in 2011 will be fun to play and true to the source material.

And nobody really claimed the graphics in CSI were necessarily good, they just said they weren't cartoony, despite your implication that cartoony is all Telltale will ever do.
  • edited October 2010
    Trenchfoot wrote: »
    Who cares about the design of the web and the forums? It's just there. I just come here to check updates on their games, and to chat about them.

JP-Legacy hasn't a great desing either, you know?

What?

And I'm pretty sure people was implying the graphics were indeed good.
  • edited October 2010
    Never fails to amaze me how angry and argumentative people get about video games.

Universal has licensed Telltale to make this and I'm sure the announcement wouldn't have been made official until the company had shown them example of what they can do. If Universal thought the results weren't of a high standard they would have turned to another company.
  • edited October 2010
    Gotta love them graphicwhores :D Screw the story and gameplay! It's all good as long as it looks like a photograph.
  • edited October 2010
    It isn't a good game unless you have to buy a brand new ultra-powerful computer in order to play it.
  • edited October 2010
    PainDealer wrote: »
    Gotta love them graphicwhores :D Screw the story and gameplay! It's all good as long as it looks like a photograph.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I'm gonna make a game about staring at a basketball, the game will be 20gb because the textures will all be photographed using the latest, most high-res cameras avalible, then skinned onto a model made from a 3D scan of a real basketball. I'll then set the ball on a high-res picture of a basketball court.

Plot? what plot!? We have the ultimate in high-res gaming here, we dont need a plot!

I'm betting it will sell a million copies! (the scary part is I bet it WOULD sell a certain number of copies *just* because it would be "the ultimate in high-res gaming")

The problem with games that require quick action is that often if you miss the action the game is screwed. Sometimes you will see the action early in the game and it will be hours and hours down the road until you find out "oh crap I should have done X back at the beginning!" and you have to re-start. (my favorite example: Kings Quest V, you walk into town and see a dog chasing a rat. You dont know your supposed to do something here (i.e. save teh rat) and you dont know what TO do (you must find the shoe first) but if you fail the save the rat, you can complete the entire first 1/4-1/3 of the game without even knowing you needed to, then your screwed!)

Lets not forget that some of us will forget to save and have to start over or return to a save-point from hours earlier...

Personally I hope it's a puzzle game where, as exampled earlier, the Dino will wait by the door until you find the way out.

As for plot/setting, while I think a sandbox game would be awesome, I think it's going to be a lot more puzzle-based with only a little action, at most. I'm still expecting a LA-style adventure game, perhaps with some combat system built in (ala QfG) as the most adventure.

On a side note, has anyone else thought about this and thought JP would make an amusing MMORPG?

EDIT:
    JPOG has aged well, I see games released today with graphics FAR worse than that... *coughcoughWoWcoughcough* 'scuse me, had a tickle in my throat ;)
  • edited October 2010
    Did you miss the CSI screenshot I posted?

Edit: Something I just remembered that's going to drive you crazy. Watch the original Jurassic Park again. Specifically, watch the scene with Nedry and the Dilophosaurus. When Nedry slips and falls down the hill, listen very carefully to the sound effect the foley artists chose for that moment.

Now tell me Jurassic Park isn't a cartoon. :P

Okay, I just wanted to thank you for bringing this up, because that's stuck out in my mind for my entire life. Why did they use the quintessential slipping cartoon sound effect there? rofl

Seriously, it's something I've never forgotten.
  • edited October 2010
    nodoctors wrote: »
    Okay, I just wanted to thank you for bringing this up, because that's stuck out in my mind for my entire life. Why did they use the quintessential slipping cartoon sound effect there? rofl

Seriously, it's something I've never forgotten.

I'm willing to be bet it was put in there as an Easter-egg/inside joke/etc thinking that most people (such as myself) wouldn't notice it amidst the rest of the action.
  • edited October 2010
    Yeah, because I didn't notice it untill I read it here and then went go watch it to see if it was really there. It is. lol
  • edited October 2010
    Ashton wrote: »
    I'm gonna make a game about staring at a basketball, the game will be 20gb because the textures will all be photographed using the latest, most high-res cameras avalible, then skinned onto a model made from a 3D scan of a real basketball. I'll then set the ball on a high-res picture of a basketball court.

You have to include a sick spinning animation, motion capture from MJ himself of course.
  • edited October 2010
    Evil rex, what happened man? You're an okay guy over on Jurassic Park Legacy, but to thank these hardworking developers, trying to bring life in a dying franchise, you troll them. Bravo. You sure make us other fans of Jurassic Park look credible.

Also, hi other people of this forum, big fan of the S&M series and can't wait to play the new JP and BTTF games :)
  • edited October 2010
    I said it on Twitter in response to GamePro's 'What's next for Spielberg?' question and I think Kevin [Bruner] hinted just as much during our 'Make a Scene' panel at Pax Prime this year, but our Jurassic Park game is going to be like no other game we've done before. That's in style, tone, scale, everything - totally action packed and tension filled.

Not to get into specifics, but fans can expect a play style and mechanics that haven't been experienced before in one of our games.
  • edited October 2010
    I said it on Twitter in response to GamePro's 'What's next for Spielberg?' question and I think Kevin [Bruner] hinted just as much during our 'Make a Scene' panel at Pax Prime this year, but our Jurassic Park game is going to be like no other game we've done before. That's in style, tone, scale, everything - totally action packed and tension filled.

Not to get into specifics, but fans can expect a play style and mechanics that haven't been experienced before in one of our games.

I only have 1 question I'd really like answered:
    Is this going to follow the standard TTG formula where you cant get the game into an unwinnable state?
  • edited October 2010
    I only have 1 question I'd really like answered:
    Is this going to follow the standard TTG formula where you cant get the game into an unwinnable state?

We're not talking about specific details like that but I will say that there is definitely a sense of danger and real tension in our Jurassic Park project.
  • edited October 2010
    Damn, that's awesome! Just imagine...

You hear that? That's a... piece of news what it is... I'm fairly alarmed here :p
  • edited October 2010

Oh my god, it's going to be a cooking-simulator!

*jumps out of the window*
  • edited October 2010
    We're not talking about specific details like that but I will say that there is definitely a sense of danger and real tension in our Jurassic Park project.

um... this detail is on par with "what's the plot?" geeze...

My interpretation:
    Yes, you can get the game into an unwinnable state, but we dont want to say it because it will scare away fans.

(if it were impossible to get the game into an unwinnable state, it would be a "perk" to draw fans in)

Welp, I'm out now. This is what got me where I hated a lot of the classic games. I hate getting to the final puzzle and realizing I forgot to pick up an item back in scene 1 (which is now inaccessible and I have to restart) Have fun with the psychological torture of "am I missing the solution.... or did I forget to pick up something I cant get to now?"
  • edited October 2010
    um... this detail is on par with "what's the plot?" geeze...

My interpretation:
    Yes, you can get the game into an unwinnable state, but we dont want to say it because it will scare away fans.

(if it were impossible to get the game into an unwinnable state, it would be a "perk" to draw fans in)

Welp, I'm out now. This is what got me where I hated a lot of the classic games. I hate getting to the final puzzle and realizing I forgot to pick up an item back in scene 1 (which is now inaccessible and I have to restart) Have fun with the psychological torture of "am I missing the solution.... or did I forget to pick up something I cant get to now?"

I'm pretty sure that what he is alluding to is that there might be a possibility of death, probably similar to what was in Sam and Max season three, not that there will be dead-ends. Dead-ends are bad game design and no one would intentionally put them in (except Sierra).
  • edited October 2010
    Ashton, who said there would be an 'unwinnable state'? I know I didn't.

Basically, what I was trying to convey is the totally different play style from previous Telltale titles. That's all.
  • edited October 2010

We've already had a cooking simulator in one of the early Sam & Max episodes.
  • edited October 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    We've already had a cooking simulator in one of the early Sam & Max episodes.

Which also simulated real bachelor cooking to the T.
  • edited October 2010
    Evil rex, what happened man? You're an okay guy over on Jurassic Park Legacy, but to thank these hardworking developers, trying to bring life in a dying franchise, you troll them. Bravo. You sure make us other fans of Jurassic Park look credible.

Also, hi other people of this forum, big fan of the S&M series and can't wait to play the new JP and BTTF games :)

you must have the wrong evil rex, man
  • edited October 2010
    evil_rex wrote: »
    you must have the wrong evil rex, man

I think you might mean Evolution Rex, also welcome to the boards.
  • edited October 2010
    "I'll choose to ignore harryisere's incorrect claims about PC gaming and simply say that in my opinion it will probably be a classic adventure style game with possibly some elements of action, as much as I love point and click adventure games, I simply can't imagine a Jurrasic Park game without some sort of action..."

Same with me here, i love point and click adventures games.

Gifts for Men
  • edited October 2010
    This is getting really interesting now. I can't express with words just how much I'm looking forward to this game. Jurassic Park is one of my favorite franchises of all time. I'm even buying the IDW Comics that are being made now. I'm going to be playing this game on day one.

And if I may go off topic for a bit, "Hey, TellTale! Did Toho call about making a Godzilla game yet?" lol
  • edited October 2010

You sir, have won the topic. Despite the fact that the cooking simulation has been done :D
  • edited October 2010
    This is getting really interesting now. I can't express with words just how much I'm looking forward to this game. Jurassic Park is one of my favorite franchises of all time. I'm even buying the IDW Comics that are being made now. I'm going to be playing this game on day one.

And if I may go off topic for a bit, "Hey, TellTale! Did Toho call about making a Godzilla game yet?" lol

S&M 305 aka How to make idea of controlling Godzilla monster very boring because of genre of the game or more accurately, because of episodic nature to make new episode in few months while releasing new one every month until all episodes are out of certain project.
  • bubbledncrbubbledncr Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2010
    I'm pretty sure that what he is alluding to is that there might be a possibility of death, probably similar to what was in Sam and Max season three, not that there will be dead-ends. Dead-ends are bad game design and no one would intentionally put them in (except Sierra).

Yea, I would hope things that make me want to break my computer wouldn't get put into our games.

Unless.....we have a secret deal with computer companies to make you break your computers so they can sell more of them!! mwahahahahaha!!!!
  • edited October 2010
    That you break your own computer,is the real sense of danger and risks that you will put in the game.
  • edited October 2010
    PainDealer wrote: »
    You sir, have won the topic. Despite the fact that the cooking simulation has been done :D

But not with dinosaur meat.
  • edited October 2010
    Mmmm, tastes like chicken.
  • edited October 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    Mmmm, tastes like chicken.

You mean like a six-foot turkey.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.