Dat Roar....

edited March 2011 in Jurassic Park
So telltale....why use the knockoff when you have rights to the original? The Tyrannosaur shouldn't sound like chewbacca. I watched the recent Xbox demo and that horrendous roar is still in the game. Please tell me its temporary.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    I wouldn't call the roar horrendous. It sounded just fine in Dino Crisis and it sounds just fine now. However, this isn't Dino Crisis. So the real T-Rex roar would be great.
  • edited February 2011
    There might have been a issue with the sound to use it or something we'll see.
    I don't mind it and will love the game regardless, but if they could put the original roar that would be a nice treat
  • edited February 2011
    To me the T-Rex roar is iconic... its like if they made a Jaws game and didn't use the Jaws theme when the shark was on the hunt.... Or if James Bond ordered a drink and stirred it XD
  • edited February 2011
    Right now I'm keeping the faith that that...roar...was either a mistake or a "temp track" of sorts.

May not turn out that way, but darn it I gotta believe! Especially since, as someone pointed out earlier, in the earlier teaser clip they actually did use the right roar.
  • edited February 2011
    I've seen two gameplay video's where the roar is used...
  • edited February 2011
    Icedhope wrote: »
    I've seen two gameplay video's where the roar is used...

Do you have links to either gameplay video? I'm sure they'd be appreciated. :)
  • edited February 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QByEE_0QY_s
    featuring everyone's favourite T-REX style roar

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-road-show-jurassic-park/17-3818/
    the other "not-so-wonderful" roar occurs towards the end of this otherwise amazing gameplay vid
  • edited February 2011
    They have to change it.... its so early ... they have no good reason not too... its not like they have to hire Earl Boen or something to perform it.... don't they have access to universal's sound effects library?

I mean really?

This is bone chilling
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V595oWP5tSE&feature=related

This is just silly
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq0ULaWpfQ4#t=00m52s
  • edited February 2011
    Check this out Irishmile...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMKiJ6YC33E&feature=related

now THAT is silly... :)
  • edited February 2011
    I just watched a YouTube teaser for the first time. My partner and our buddy Megan was over and such. They were watching the Scream 4 trailer. Being fans of Jurassic Park, I asked them if they wanted to see something more epic...

Well, I unknowingly watched the teaser with them (and they both commented) that the tyrannosaurus sounded like Chewbacca or a cracked out Wookie.

I hope they use a more majestic sound in the actual game, fitting for a Tyrannosaur.
  • edited February 2011
    It sounded TERRIBLE. They are doing a big mistake picking that crappy roar over the iconic and epic roar from the movie.
  • edited February 2011
    There's still time to change it and hopefully they will. When I read people's complaints about the roar I thought 'oh dear, he we go again' but it really does sound limp.
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah i agree with everybody. I watched the trailer and it is excellent, but the roaarr from the T-Rex really killed any immersion....give the T-Rex his iconic audio back from the movie ASAP...
  • edited February 2011
    LOL, how could TT fuck something important like this up. Not good PR...
  • edited February 2011
    Unless any of you can design a better game instead of sitting at home and playing all of TT's games and complaining, why dont you enjoy it and look for the good side. THis is the first Jurassic Park game since 2003 and other than JPOG and Trespasser, this looks like itll be the best developed game ever for Jurassic Park! They're just testing the waters, if its successful, season 2 or 3 could be reproductions of ur fave JP games so just enjoy it for once cuz that trailer was epic!
    What I would still like to know is if TTG is just putting that roar to get ppl complaining and when the game comes out they'll change it and ppl will put great reviews just cuz of that or if they're gonna keep this crappy one. I do not like it but I will not complain because this is the greatest work in the Jurassic Park franchise since the first or second movie, or the 3 years we waited for the Trespasser of our dreams.
    If anyone from the team can confirm that this is just a temporary one I will be fine, although I will be fine either way. The one minor complaint i might have is the way the raptor curls its arms after it jumps as apposed to standing up straight again, then charging, but they still look great and more than I would've ever dreamed!
    Anyway, Telltale, it looks like your gonna take care of us, atleast on the first episode, so don't mess up because I really wanna continue buying non-JP games from this company if BTTF and JP pay off at the end. A little advice though, work hard on 4 and 5 so they don't look crappy just incase theres complaints on ep 3 for example, then you can make a comback to make a series 2. The only reason I say that is because like with the recent Jurassic Park: Redemption comics, It got pretty bad by issue 3 and ppl thought it would still improve but it got so bad in the following episodes, people were hesitant to buy the next series, which is WAAAYYYY better btw. Anyway, just trying to help. Thanks again to the Jurassic Park Team of Telltale Games! :D
  • edited February 2011
    dnaz.jpg
  • edited February 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    dnaz.jpg

Very nice! lol
    And I wasnt talking about you, you actually gave an alternative to a better roar if i remember right, a few posts back, but i was talkinga bout all the ppl that just complain and dont offer any help on making it better except saying "that sucks, use the real roar"
    lol
  • edited February 2011
    Ok here is the deal... I think the Roar could be fine if they slowed it down, lowered the pitch just a little, and added a touch of bass... Quick someone with video editing skills slow that down and lower it so we can hear how that sounds.
  • edited February 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QByEE_0QY_s this is what confuses me, they use the roar in the E3 Trailer...
  • edited February 2011
    RexMaster wrote: »
    Very nice! lol
    And I wasnt talking about you, you actually gave an alternative to a better roar if i remember right, a few posts back, but i was talkinga bout all the ppl that just complain and dont offer any help on making it better except saying "that sucks, use the real roar"
    lol

What everyone is getting at is that Telltale have the actual rights to almost everything Universal Studios has in regards to JP, most of us would think that would mean the right to use sound clips and so on to give the game more Depth, because honestly.. does Universal Studios really want another failure of a JP game on their hands?
  • edited February 2011
    Ok here is the deal... I think the Roar could be fine if they slowed it down, lowered the pitch just a little, and added a touch of bass... Quick someone with video editing skills slow that down and lower it so we can hear how that sounds.

I can agree with you on that. I actually just did it in Sony Vegas. It sounds SO much better.

But the original T-Rex roar would be... best.
  • edited February 2011

Not the best quality, but I tried it for ya Irish.

http://www.mediafire.com/?e88py7yd3ub182d

What gets me is that the trailer has the music from the movie, the Dilophosaurus and Velociraptor growls from the movie, and then this stock T-rex roar that sounds like it came from one of those Combat of Giants Dinosaurs games.
  • edited February 2011
    Not the best quality, but I tried it for ya Irish.

http://www.mediafire.com/?e88py7yd3ub182d

What gets me is that the trailer has the music from the movie, the Dilophosaurus and Velociraptor growls from the movie, and then this stock T-rex roar that sounds like it came from one of those Combat of Giants Dinosaurs games.

Yea! I've noticed that the Dilopho and the Raptors each have the same squeals and roars. I heard from somebody that the T-Rex Roar was trademarked and copyighted... I dunno. -Shrugs- That already sounds better then the first one though!
  • edited February 2011
    shamuboy wrote: »
    Yea! I've noticed that the Dilopho and the Raptors each have the same squeals and roars. I heard from somebody that the T-Rex Roar was trademarked and copyighted... I dunno. -Shrugs- That already sounds better then the first one though!

It's trademarked and copyrighted by universal, and they have the license from universal.
  • edited February 2011
    This just in... I found some sound bites that will be used for the raptors.
    Here

Ok obviously I am just teasing..
  • edited February 2011
    Kind of an update

Tyrannosaur over at JPlegacy wrote his thoughts on the front page. He says this:
    "I did inform them though about the obvious mistake of using the T. rex roar from the Carnivores/Dino-Crisis series of games."

Hopefully they will fix this! It is a major issue on my part.
  • edited February 2011
    Tiranno wrote: »
    Hopefully they will fix this! It is a major issue on my part.

It is for me too....it's like replacing the tie fighter sound effects, with an ordinary car...or a Light saber sound effects of a squeaky toy.
  • edited February 2011
    It is for me too....it's like replacing the tie fighter sound effects, with an ordinary car...or a Light saber sound effects of a squeaky toy.

I totally second that!
  • edited February 2011

Agreed
  • edited February 2011
    It's like replacing Herman's score during the "Psycho" shower scene with the theme from "I know what you did last summer part 3".
  • edited February 2011

I normally wouldn't have a problem with sound effects being changed. I didn't gripe about BttF's incorrect use of the plutonium chamber refill noise instead of the sounds for refilling Mr. Fusion(which are almost non-existant anyways) among others. But the Tyrannosaur roar in Jurassic Park is so iconic that I actually get disappointed any time I see a Rex in a movie/show/video game and they give it some boring stock roar.
  • edited February 2011
    Its like if George Jefferson moved on down to the west side

Its like if He-man didn't secretly have a crush on Skeletor

Its like if Harry never met Sally

Its like if Sarah Palin understood politics

Its like if MC Hammer was OK with people touchin this.

Its like if William Wallace just said "LEEROY JENKINS!!!!" before battle.

its like if the ghostbusters WERE afraid of some ghost.

Its like if Rick Astley give you up, let you down, ran around and deserted you
  • edited February 2011
    Could we get an official answer from the telltale team to confirm that this crappy rex roar is just a placeholder? Please?
  • edited February 2011
    Naturally, I won't share it with the world because it would probably breach some form of legality (and I respect Telltale a lot), but recutting the trailer to use the "iconic" T-Rex roar sounds amazing!!!! With the footage of that charging Tyrannosaur, the build up to it, the roar lingering over the title!! Ah man...
  • edited February 2011
    its the weekend they are probably all busy having BBQs, avoiding calls from their mothers, or stealing their neighbors newspaper... You know typical weekend stuff.
  • edited February 2011
    Ty at JP-Legacy said he informed TellTale about the roar and they told him they were going to correct it. So no worries there :)
  • edited February 2011
    Thats great news Trenchfoot, thanks for that info. :)
  • edited February 2011
    There's really no reason not to fix it. :D
  • edited February 2011
    Trenchfoot wrote: »
    Ty at JP-Legacy said he informed TellTale about the roar and they told him they were going to correct it. So no worries there :)

Well good...trench you a member over there too?
This discussion has been closed.