15 minute video of Jurassic Park gameplay

edited March 2011 in Jurassic Park
Via news from the The International House of Mojo comes this preview of Jurassic Park from Giant Bomb (with commentary from lead designer, Joe Pinney):

Clicky!

I must say that I think the game looks fantastic in terms of graphics and direction. I think this could be a big step up for the Telltale Tool. Of topic, I also watched the intro and opening gameplay of Hector: Episode 1 and that looks superb (especially as I'm British). Slowly but surely I'm starting to anticipate the upcoming Telltale games a fair bit.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Davies wrote: »
    I must say that I think the game looks fantastic in terms of graphics and direction.

Can't agree there, I don't like the removal of so much player action and control, and the inclusion of quick-time events. I felt pretty sad watching it.
  • edited February 2011
    Can't agree there, I don't like the removal of so much player action and control, and the inclusion of quick-time events. I felt pretty sad watching it.

I think you misunderstood me, I agree with your sentiments. When I said direction I meant in the film making sense of the word (i.e. the movement and use of the camera), not the direction of the gameplay mechanics ;)
  • edited February 2011
    I really hope the "quick travel" is optional... I like walking around... I wanna play in the world not a photo.
  • edited February 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I really hope the "quick travel" is optional... I like walking around... I wanna play in the world not a photo.

Or at least only in puzzle/action-sequences. I wanna freely move in the exploration parts of the game!
  • edited February 2011
    The gameplay looks great, and the type of control is very appropriate for the action parts. I like the thing you can die in the game, makes it more realistic. The graphics are great too.
  • edited February 2011
    I like the looks of this, looks great to me. Can't wait to play it. Day 1 purchase as long as it'll work on my laptop. Demo telltale???????
  • edited February 2011
    I actually really like the quick travel function. It's more like the old text adventures where you just "go north" and so forth. It has never really mattered in most adventure games where exactly on the screen your character is standing anyway; you can always just immediately interact with anything visible on screen.
  • edited February 2011
    its not like the TTG worlds are so massive where it was a problem though.... Im not against quick travel... I just hope its not the only option.
  • edited February 2011
    One important thing in franchise-games is to walk around and explore the sets from the movie. See Lost, Ghostbusters, Blade Runner, even Bttf. They must include free movement and exploration in this game, at least in important movie sets like Visitors center, T-Rex compound or Nedrys jeep.

They can keep quick travel in sequences where problems/puzzles need to be solved
  • edited February 2011
    I really hope we can actually walk around and explore the island... it's not a Jurassic Park game if you can't.
  • edited February 2011
    shamuboy wrote: »
    I really hope we can actually walk around and explore the island... it's not a Jurassic Park game if you can't.

It doesn't feel like a game, feels like a movie. Interactive movie, but still... I'd have fun watching people play this on YouTube, but I probably won't buy the game.
  • edited February 2011
    It makes me sad that the T-Rex looks exactly like the film version but sounds like ass. Please fix this TellTale!
  • edited February 2011
    Sadonicus wrote: »
    One important thing in franchise-games is to walk around and explore the sets from the movie. See Lost, Ghostbusters, Blade Runner, even Bttf. They must include free movement and exploration in this game, at least in important movie sets like Visitors center, T-Rex compound or Nedrys jeep.

They can keep quick travel in sequences where problems/puzzles need to be solved

I believe exploration is likely to appear in this game, if it is really inspired by Heavy Rain. After playing Back to the Future, I'm sure that exploration will be relegated only to specific parts of the game. When you have to plod across an area you have already explored, it tends to get stale. Can you really expect a company like Telltale to release a product of the same caliber as Rockstar's upcoming L.A. Noire and Red Dead Redemption without sacrificing millions of dollars?

Furthermore, action scenes that take place in games generally aren't very cinematic or interesting unless they are on-rails, as seen in the preview. Look at God of War. How difficult would it be to make the standard hands-on hack and slash combat with its handful of attack animations look as filmic as the quick-time events? No company has perfected this style yet. The fifteen-minute gameplay preview actually resembles a Jurassic Park movie, and I don't regret my pre-order.
  • edited February 2011
    This looks utterly awesome!

I cannot wait.
  • edited February 2011
    The graphics was disappointing.. It looks like something they would have made ten years ago. That being said, it might be a killer gameplay, so I'll keep an eye open for future updates.
  • edited February 2011
    Didn't have the time to watch the whole thing, but I find it interesting Joe was playing it on an Xbox 360 controller, and that there were 360-specific button prompts in the game.

Does this confirm a 360 release?
  • edited February 2011
    Didn't have the time to watch the whole thing, but I find it interesting Joe was playing it on an Xbox 360 controller, and that there were 360-specific button prompts in the game.

Does this confirm a 360 release?

I think it does yes. They announced at the end that they would first come out on PC and MAC and then make its way to consoles. If I remember right...
  • edited February 2011
    I think it does yes. They announced at the end that they would first come out on PC and MAC and then make its way to consoles. If I remember right...

Although Jurassic Park might well find its way to the 360, I'm not sure that the use of XBox buttons during the demonstration necessarily signifies this. Unless I'm mistaken, Back to the Future: The Game won't be getting a 360 release and yet I use my USB XBox 360 controller when playing the game on my PC and those XBox buttons appear throughout (as they do in most, if not all TellTale games).

I think the 360 controller has become something of a standard when it comes to PC gaming, I get those same 360 button prompts on almost every PC game (of any genre) that I play these days, even for certain homebrew titles. It makes sense what with Microsoft owning both Windows and the 360 I guess.
  • edited February 2011
    As much as I love telltale, having owned the entire Sam & Max series, I'm somewhat surprised to see that they are attempting to make a rather straight forward railway track of a game out of Jurassic Park.

I'm a huge Jurassic Park fan, I played the Super NES version and loved it, and continued to get and play most Jurassic Park games that were released onwards.

This one I'm not getting. The game does not suit the engine that it is being developed on, it doesn't suit the developers style and I reckon this one isn't going to do too well if it can turn away a Jurassic Park fan like me...

Having watched the video and the general gameplay, for Telltale, they may be taking new steps but these steps into gameplay like that has been repeated. It kind of reminds me of Broken Sword 4, not sure why but BS4/BS3 had so many issues with it due to the developers taking new steps into game design for that particular series.

Loss of interactivity and what seems to be slow game-play will kill this game because Telltale isn't adapting the kind of gameplay that one would expect from a JP title...

I reckon the majority of consumers of Telltale games might stay away from this one.
  • edited February 2011

No it does not confirm an Xbox 360 release. The Xbox 360 controller is also used as a PC game controller, so that's why we have the controller specific icons there right now.

We have not announced console platforms at this time.
  • edited February 2011
    IF they support the motion controllers on the PS3 I will be buying it for PC and PS3...
  • edited February 2011
    I still don't know about this, I mean it looks great and all and the fact that you can die in a telltale game brings much excitment. Though the fact that you can't walk around at all DISGUSTS me because it makes an adventure game too interactive movie, espically coming from a game based on a well-known movie franschise. Unless they have an option for it, or bettr yet an in-game switch button, then I might put my money else where.
  • edited February 2011
    BMane wrote: »
    As much as I love telltale, having owned the entire Sam & Max series, I'm somewhat surprised to see that they are attempting to make a rather straight forward railway track of a game out of Jurassic Park.

I'm a huge Jurassic Park fan, I played the Super NES version and loved it, and continued to get and play most Jurassic Park games that were released onwards.

This one I'm not getting. The game does not suit the engine that it is being developed on, it doesn't suit the developers style and I reckon this one isn't going to do too well if it can turn away a Jurassic Park fan like me...

Having watched the video and the general gameplay, for Telltale, they may be taking new steps but these steps into gameplay like that has been repeated. It kind of reminds me of Broken Sword 4, not sure why but BS4/BS3 had so many issues with it due to the developers taking new steps into game design for that particular series.

Loss of interactivity and what seems to be slow game-play will kill this game because Telltale isn't adapting the kind of gameplay that one would expect from a JP title...

I reckon the majority of consumers of Telltale games might stay away from this one.

The gameplay video actually dissuaded you from purchasing? Even though it looks like it completely captures the spirit of the movies?
  • edited February 2011
    I still don't know about this, I mean it looks great and all and the fact that you can die in a telltale game brings much excitment. Though the fact that you can't walk around at all DISGUSTS me because it makes an adventure game too interactive movie, espically coming from a game based on a well-known movie franschise. Unless they have an option for it, or bettr yet an in-game switch button, then I might put my money else where.

I really hope we will be able to actually WALK around through the park too, or have a choice to turn that stuff off. I almost feel that that aspect alone might destroy the game.
  • edited February 2011
    What the hell was that? The gameplay felt like an easy version of Dragon's Lair with infinite lives. I'm totally not gonna buy this game until Telltale make this game an adventure game.
  • edited February 2011
    I really hope we will be able to actually WALK around through the park too, or have a choice to turn that stuff off. I almost feel that that aspect alone might destroy the game.

Agreed, at least give us the choice to use that short-cut stuff or walk, otherwise I really feel so dissappointed that I actually wont buy it cause thats a major issue to me.
  • edited February 2011
    paulmccain wrote: »
    The gameplay video actually dissuaded you from purchasing? Even though it looks like it completely captures the spirit of the movies?

Looks can be deceiving... Besides I think my opinion of what a Jurassic Park adventure game should be like differs from yours. As someone else stated, this is nothing but a movie in a game with quick-time events.

I don't think it captures the atmosphere or style of the Jurassic Park franchise at all. Wheres the fear or terror of being eaten alive? I'm not going to get that feeling if I can't really control my character to such a degree, and just have to rely on pressing buttons at the right time...

Nor can I explore or even have some sense of freedom you would expect in a JP adventure title, and all elements you would expect in a generic adventure game.

Perhaps my expectations are high because I've played the classics and I come to expect certain things from the franchise, but Telltale is taking the wrong approach with the game, and I dare say are the wrong developers for this.
  • edited February 2011
    BMane wrote: »

I don't think it captures the atmosphere or style of the Jurassic Park franchise at all. Wheres the fear or terror of being eaten alive? I'm not going to get that feeling if I can't really control my character to such a degree, and just have to rely on pressing buttons at the right time...

I'm pretty sure being terrified and eaten alive or terror is exactly what Jurassic Park is about. But that maybe you...

Jurassic Park should be about Survival and not only Survival, but Interactions about challenges and things we know next to nothing about.
  • edited February 2011
    It's more like the old text adventures where you just "go north" and so forth. It has never really mattered in most adventure games where exactly on the screen your character is standing anyway...
  • edited February 2011
    I hope that this game doesn't became like heavy rain, I don't want a movie where you must press buttons, I want an adventure game
  • edited February 2011
    SEE... Thats exactly what i was afraid of... With the strictness of story following its not Jurassic Park Island... Its just do this, this or this in the section.

He says they want to cut out the walking around as its not fun... HELLO... Thats what made Jurassic Park 1. I'm really sad about this as theres no Freedom what so ever it seems.

Like Irishmile said... earlier in this thread "I really hope the "quick travel" is optional... I like walking around... I wanna play in the world not a photo"
  • edited February 2011
    OMG they over done their selves. This looks AMAZING Everyone stop bitching and just judge it when you play it...nonsense, nonsense...

Let's be fair, just look at the damn game, it looks amazing...they put a lot of time into this, let's be fair...

Ok, I agree, we should talk about small things from the video. I don't like the space travel option either...I like to walk in games like these
  • edited February 2011
    However they have done what seems to be a FANTASTIC job... very very clever.
    A tad innoying that it keeps cutting away from the action then again i spose thats part of the game.

Need to seriously fix that rex sound tho haha
  • edited February 2011
    It looks really dumbed down. A game of quick prompts and quick-button sequences. It looks really on rails. I'm glad Telltale is expanding their catalog and becoming more of a name people will know, but this looks really lame to me. I'll wait a year or so after it comes out and buy it when Telltale has a sale for $10.
    Hopefully they'll recapture the adventure game spirit with King's Quest and keep it long enough to make another Monkey Island series.
  • edited February 2011
    "We want to make sure that no one gets stuck."
    Meaning that it won't be hard, it'll be easy.

Also, when the player presses a buttom during the quick time events, there seems to be a slight pause as the game decides which animation to play. I really hope this is going to be fixed - for a quick-timed game like this, it really needs to be more fluid. If every decision you make during an action sequence makes the game awkwardly pause, that's going to be an issue.

From what I've seen - it looks like playing a 2-XL in video game form. Choose your own adventure game, instead of an adventure game.
  • edited February 2011
    Armand1880 wrote: »
    "We want to make sure that no one gets stuck."
    Meaning that it won't be hard, it'll be easy.

It reminds me of how FPS games have removed any gameplay other than shooting people so people "don't have to bother with it." I find that so perplexing because hunting for keys and secrets in Doom was half the gameplay to me, shooting was only part of it.

It's sad that as gaming gets larger and more popular games are getting shorter, easier and less interesting.
  • edited February 2011
    It's sad that as gaming gets larger and more popular games are getting shorter, easier and less interesting.

Sadly this was inevitable, just look at the film industry and how dumbed down it has become to please the non-discerning crowd of easily pleased schmucks. Rest assured that just as the film industry is still producing brilliant and thought provoking cinema (albeit outnumbered by flashy crap), there will always be "proper" and challenging games.

I can't imagine Telltale will be any different; I'm sure they're making BTTF and Jurassic Park easier because those games are going to attract the very same non-discerning crowd I was referring to. Let's just wait and see how King's Quest turns out to be, I'm willing to bet it'll present a good ol' challenge for us good ol' school gamers.
  • edited February 2011
    Sadly this was inevitable, just look at the film industry and how dumbed down it's become to please the non-discerning crowd of easily pleased schmucks. Rest assured that just as the film industry is still producing brilliant, thought provoking cinema (albeit outnumbered by flashy crap), there will always be "proper" and challenging games. I can't imagine Telltale will be any different; I'm sure they're making BTTF and Jurassic Park easier because those games are going to attract the very same non-discerning crowd I was referring to. Let's just wait and see how King's Quest turns out to be, I'm willing to bet it'll present a good ol' challenge for us good ol' school gamers.

Very true! Jurassic Park was one of the last films that was truly scientific (atleast relatively) that captured so many people... well... except Avatar, which was popular and truly a great movie, just because people didn't understand it and thought they would if they saw it more than once!!! But yeah, I won't mind an easier game from TT if it is as great looking as this! Although shorter isn't such a good idea but since they have the dino models in this one, I would assume htat if they make continuation seasons they would be longer and harder because they have more time to work on that stuff. Telltale seems to be doing great so I am dying for another video now, so please update the JP site with another cool video!!!!!
  • edited February 2011
    RexMaster wrote: »
    ...since they have the dino models in this one, I would assume htat if they make continuation seasons they would be longer and harder because they have more time to work on that stuff.

You're absolutely correct. This had never occurred to me but Telltale actually have the potential to present us with their most complete and varied adventure game yet. They've clearly always been held back to some extent by their (over?) reliance on existing locations and characters (returning to Flotsam Island three times throughout the ToMI season and Sam's clones in The Devil's Playhouse to name but two examples).

With the pre-built in justified reuse of character models (the dinosaurs) and the reuse of foliage to create the jungle environments (not forgetting the Jurassic Park standard design for vehicles, uniforms and other company equipment), Telltale has the opportunity to concentrate their asset creation on new interior locations for each episode and to release longer lasting episodes.

...or Telltale could use the extra available resources to provide strong QA and so ensure a bug free release :p
  • edited February 2011
    With the pre-built in justified reuse of character models (the dinosaurs) being the case and the reuse of foliage, to create the jungle environments (not forgetting the Jurassic Park standard design for vehicles, uniforms and other standard company equipment), Telltale has the opportunity to concentrate their asset creation on new interior locations for each episode and to release longer lasting games.
    Exactly, Tyrannosaurus, Raptors, Trike's, etc. all show up throughout the franchise, along with plants as you said, and vehicles, although if they explored TLW in another series then they would need some new vehicles but god i would kill to see those JP humvees and stuff in a game.
    Plus, sure they might need to add a few species and change the raptor look depending on what movie they are exploring but as you stated, this team can only go uphill from here with thier JP games so I can't wait for some more videos!!!! Thanks again Telltale!!! I seriously will never be able to thank you enough because since 03' ive been waiting for the news of a new game but it never came until that one day I decided to check Jurassic Park Legacy and found out what Telltale was going to do and I was as suprised as I was disappointed that Universal would give this title to a "cartoon game company" and now I regret ever thinking that, this is officially my favorite game company now and I can't wait to see what else this great team will suprise us with next! Long live the dinosaurs of Jurassic Park, and it seems that they will since now Telltale is supplying the Lysine!!! :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.