Dat Roar....

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Yeah call it crustaceous park
  • edited February 2011
    The T-rex roar was and is what defines Jurassic Park. Actually, you don't even need dinosaurs or any other kind of other visual stimuli. You just need to present the player with a blank screen and have that roar on a never ending loop.

Seriously TellTale, stop trying to create assets for the upcoming game and just source the original roar. At the very least couldn't you just rename the game 'Dino Park Gone Wrong' or something? After all, you owe us. You must make the game we demand. It is our right! We are entitled to everything, you are our slaves. You are nothing without us, we made you. The way you treat us is a disgrace. Sort it out!

Sometimes, I'm ashamed to be human.
  • edited February 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Yeah call it crustaceous park

The age of crabs?
    Davies wrote: »
    The T-rex roar was and is what defines Jurassic Park. Actually, you don't even need dinosaurs or any other kind of other visual stimuli. You just need to present the player with a blank screen and have that roar on a never ending loop.

Seriously TellTale, stop trying to create assets for the upcoming game and just source the original roar. At the very least couldn't you just rename the game 'Dino Park Gone Wrong' or something? After all, you owe us. You must make the game we demand. It is our right! We are entitled to everything, you are our slaves. You are nothing without us, we made you. The way you treat us is a disgrace. Sort it out!

Sometimes, I'm ashamed to be human.

Uh, actually, its up to them. Dr. Wu and John Hammond customized their creations, the dinosaurs of Jurassic Park, to thier liking. They made featherless raptors that were huge instead of what they shouldve been. Wu wanted to make slow raptors even though they werent what people wanted to see. My point is, they can make the game the way they want and have the successful results either way, if you dont want a whole 5 months worth of Jurassic Park because of one sound file, dont buy it.
  • edited February 2011
    RexMaster wrote: »
    The age of crabs?

Uh, actually, its up to them. Dr. Wu and John Hammond customized their creations, the dinosaurs of Jurassic Park, to thier liking. They made featherless raptors that were huge instead of what they shouldve been. Wu wanted to make slow raptors even though they werent what people wanted to see. My point is, they can make the game the way they want and have the successful results either way, if you dont want a whole 5 months worth of Jurassic Park because of one sound file, dont buy it.

Um, have you ever heard the word sarcasm before?! My post was in support of TellTale! Hence my ending statement of "sometimes I'm ashamed to be human".
  • edited February 2011
    Um, have you ever heard the word sarcasm before?! My post was in support of TellTale! Hence my ending statement of "sometimes I'm ashamed to be human".

Oh, right. Sorry man, I was going to say that all of ur posts are soooo true and it seems out of your style of posting from what ive collected. I'm in 100% support for telltale all the way (as long as the game runs on my PC because some games i try to play have horrible lag from steam), so thats why i got so defensive. I missd the end part so it seemed like u were just another whiny, complaining "fan"! PLEASE FORGIVE ME! :p
  • edited February 2011
    RexMaster wrote: »
    ...it seemed like u were just another whiny, complaining "fan"! PLEASE FORGIVE ME! :p

Oh, I complain and whine about a great many things but it's usually justified ;)

Anyway, there's nothing to forgive, it's hard to communicate sarcasm through the Internet! Actually, why isn't there a sarcasm tag for when people are composing their posts. After all, Internet users and sarcasm are like peas in a pod (doubly so for British people).
  • edited February 2011
    The T-rex roar was and is what defines Jurassic Park.

Effectively, you are correct. :)

Much like Avatar, Jurassic Park is no titan of storytelling or characterization; instead, it was a technical marvel the likes of which we hadn't seen much of before. Whereas other films nudged the CG door open a bit, Jurassic Park blasted it wide open.

The soundscape of Jurassic Park left an impression every bit as indelible as the visuals. As noted, the film is as defined by the work put into the roars and cries of the dinosaurs as the CG.

I take the passion people (clearly) have on the subject as an indication of just how much people were affected by the initial viewing experience. Now there's something a sound design team can be proud of! :D

As for folks stating that they're "on Telltale's side" or whatnot, I'd say that's a given for everyone on this board. Wanting a licensed product to represent the license as faithfully as possible is hardly a knock against the designers; in fact, I'd daresay Telltale themselves want the game to be as faithful as possible. How else to explain how...well, just about everything else is ripped from the film? The T-Rex roar stands out as an aberration because the rest of the trailer's fidelity to the film holds up so well.
  • edited February 2011
    Sisyphus wrote: »
    Effectively, you are correct. :)

Much like Avatar, Jurassic Park is no titan of storytelling or characterization; instead, it was a technical marvel the likes of which we hadn't seen much of before. Whereas other films nudged the CG door open a bit, Jurassic Park blasted it wide open.

The soundscape of Jurassic Park left an impression every bit as indelible as the visuals. As Davies notes, the film is as defined by the work the sound design team put into the roars and cries of the dinosaurs as the CG.

i take the passion people (clearly) have on the subject as an indication of just how much people were affected by the initial viewing experience. Now there's something a sound design team can be proud of! :D

*sigh*

[ENGAGING SARCASM MODE]

Oh, absolutely.

Another film that this applies to is Taxi Driver. That film is defined by the sound of the water fizzing as Travis stares at his glass of water in a disassociated manor. Without that particular sound effect the film would be unworthy of the title Taxi Driver but should be called 'A Bloke Drives a Taxi Around New York and Stuff' instead.

[SARCASM MODE DISENGAGED]

I am sorry for laying it on so thick but I don't know how much clearer I can be.

Having said that, I agreed with 90% of what you said. Of course sound effects and the soundtrack have as much of an impact as the visuals but for someone to say that one sound effect alone defines the film is pretty ludicrous.

Sure, the sound of the lightsabre in Star Wars is seminal but if a new film in the saga got released and the sound on the sabre was slightly off (to the point where a casual fan wouldn't even notice until it was pointed out to them), would that mean that the film would be a waste and unworthy to carry the Star Wars brand, regardless of the quality of the various other aspects such as visuals, story and characterisation?
  • edited February 2011
    *sigh*

[ENGAGING SARCASM MODE]

Oh, absolutely.

Another film that this applies to is Taxi Driver. That film is defined by the sound of the water fizzing as Travis stares at his glass of water in a disassociated manor. Without that particular sound effect the film would be unworthy of the title Taxi Driver but should be called 'A Bloke Drives a Taxi Around New York and Stuff' instead.

[SARCASM MODE DISENGAGED]

I am sorry for laying it on so thick but I don't know how much clearer I can be.

Your sarcasm was quite clear. ;) I just agree with the point.

Sure, the sound of the lightsabre in Star Wars is seminal but if a new film in the saga got released and the sound on the sabre was slightly off (to the point where a casual fan wouldn't even notice until it was pointed out to them), would that mean that the film would be a waste and unworthy to carry the Star Wars brand, regardless of the quality of the various other aspects such as visuals, story and characterisation?

It wouldn't be a waste. If they do end up going with the T-Rex roar they currently have, the game won't be a waste either. However, I can't say I won't be somewhat wistful.

I really prefer the fan trailer where someone put the old roar back in.
  • edited February 2011
    Your sarcasm was quite clear. :) However, you were still correct, even if you did not mean to be.

Just giving you credit where credit is due. ;)

Actually, I was well aware as I typed it that the roar is ONE of the defining aspects of Jurassic Park. My beef lies not with you but with those who claim that getting the roar slightly wrong equates to an automatic fail for the game.

You yourself said that sound is as important as the other elements. I never stated otherwise and have always agreed completely. However, some people are getting their knickers in a twist over ONE sound effect, which is just ONE of many that build the sounds of the game and the sounds of the game are also ONE aspect of many, including direction, lighting, overall visual design, editing (for cutscenes), story, characters, dialogue, gameplay mechanics, puzzles and so much more besides. In short I did mean to be correct and am correct!

[ARROGANCE OVERLOAD]
  • edited February 2011
    But you still have to ask how they got the roar wrong. I mean, they said themselves that they watched the films several times in order to get the look and feel of the game right. Were they watching it on mute? lol
  • edited February 2011
    Actually, I was well aware as I typed it that the roar is ONE of the defining aspects of Jurassic Park. My beef lies not with you but with those who claim that getting the roar slightly wrong equates to an automatic fail for the game.
    [ARROGANCE OVERLOAD]

Well, to me the roar is a major thing. So I will explain it like this, maybe you'll have a better understanding.

If there is a Major consistency, there will likely be many more. While Jurassic Park may not be the best movie in the world, it holds some high nostalgic values to a lot of people, like star wars. Now think of a star wars game, that replaced the light saber sound effects with squeaky toys, or the generic lazer sword sounds, you would be pretty upset if you were a star wars fan, am I right? Also the roar of the Tyranosaur is just as Iconic as the movie itself, so it felt like there was a lackluster in care for it, when the raptors had the right sound effects to them, it was a disappointment. Hell the rex was the star of the first movie, so it felt like he didn't get the care he deserved, while it's not a game breaker to me, it's pretty bothersome. Also when your marketing towards the fans of the movies, and you want to make the trailer near perfect as possible, and it felt we were deny-ed the authenticity.
  • edited February 2011
    Or like replacing Cobra Commanders classic iconic mask with a weird and stupid looking see through diving mask. You just don't do it. But, unfortunatly, some do.
  • edited February 2011
    Or like replacing Cobra Commanders classic iconic mask with a weird and stupid looking see through diving mask. You just don't do it. But, unfortunatly, some do.

Ohhhh, I see what you did there. ;)
  • edited February 2011
    Shut up you whiny stupid fan boys!

Its telltales game, and they can do whatever they want to do with it because its theirs and you have NO right to say anything.

If telltale decides that these new dinosaurs are prehistoric demons that came out of a portal to hell opened by Dr Wu who is secretly an occultist, then so be it. Anyone who dares to say anything is nothing but an immature whiny kid.

(I forgot the sarcasm tags but you get the idea ;))
  • edited February 2011
    Sadonicus wrote: »
    Shut up you whiny stupid fan boys!

Its telltales game, and they can do whatever they want to do with it because its theirs and you have NO right to say anything.

If telltale decides that these new dinosaurs are prehistoric demons that came out of a portal to hell opened by Dr Wu who is secretly an occultist, then so be it. Anyone who dares to say anything is nothing but an immature whiny kid.

(I forgot the sarcasm tags but you get the idea ;))

why are just trying to give some advices..
  • edited February 2011
    I don't think either side is willing to change their opinion. Time to move on perhaps...
  • edited February 2011
    I don't think either side is willing to change their opinion. Time to move on perhaps...

They said they would change it, we won in the end anyway.
  • edited February 2011
    They said they would change it, we won in the end anyway.

Out of curiosity, do we have a link to that for verification purposes? I don't remember if one was ever provided.
  • edited February 2011
    Out of curiosity, do we have a link to that for verification purposes? I don't remember if one was ever provided.

Don't have a link but check at Jurassic Park Legacy Forums!
  • edited February 2011
    shamuboy wrote: »
    Don't have a link but check at Jurassic Park Legacy Forums!

Thanks. :)
  • edited February 2011

Check one of these threads, someone has a link to another thread in JPLegacy where they said just that! :)
  • edited March 2011
    doodo! wrote: »
    Uniformed simplteon, haha. Do you have a clue? At all?

I've been around entertainment my entire life. Do you know that video games/ movies have been using the same sounds for DECADES? Do you have even the tiniest clue!?

You don't have the tiniest clue. The T-Rex sounds from Jurassic Park were created FOR Jurassic Park. Watch the Behind-the-Scenes/Making of. They sent sound techs all around the world to get material to create the roars and calls. THAT is why they are iconic to Jurassic Park and why you've only proven how ignorant you are.

Clearly your life-long involvement in entertainment didn't pay off for that. But guess what, you're not special there. Anyone in the world can say they've "been around entertainment their entire life" so long as: They had a TV in their home, a computer at some point, a video game system, went to the movie theater, went to an arcade.
  • edited March 2011
    You don't have the tiniest clue. The T-Rex sounds from Jurassic Park were created FOR Jurassic Park. Watch the Behind-the-Scenes/Making of. They sent sound techs all around the world to get material to create the roars and calls. THAT is why they are iconic to Jurassic Park and why you've only proven how ignorant you are.

Clearly your life-long involvement in entertainment didn't pay off for that. But guess what, you're not special there. Anyone in the world can say they've "been around entertainment their entire life" so long as: They had a TV in their home, a computer at some point, a video game system, went to the movie theater, went to an arcade.

Doodo already stopped this argument please don't bring in back up again and cause a calamity.
  • edited March 2011
    they should get that dude from the police academy movies... I bet he would do the roar.
  • edited March 2011
    they should get that dude from the police academy movies... I bet he would do the roar.

lol he was also excellent in spaceballs, the sweeps, the creeps, and the bleeps!
  • edited March 2011
    lol he was also excellent in spaceballs, the sweeps, the creeps, and the bleeps!

I love Spaceballs! "We're combing the desert", "May the Schwartz be with you" and the whole Alien parody with John Hurt. Classic.
  • edited March 2011
    dat roar sounds like its from some 90s video of some sort...so dated. I bet the OP is like 20 something years old. Probably about Irishmiles age, no offense, not that you're old.
  • edited March 2011
    LOL... sadly I am no longer in my 20's I turned 30 last October.... I plan on picking out a nice walking stick soon so I can shake it at kids when they walk onto my lawn.
  • edited March 2011
    LOL... sadly I am no longer in my 20's I turned 30 last October.... I plan on picking out a nice walking stick soon so I can shake it at kids when they walk onto my lawn.

Get a bamboo cane with amber on the top, its very in style these days!!! ;)
  • edited March 2011
    I'm awesome at being old.

irishmile.jpg
  • edited March 2011
    I'm awesome at being old.

irishmile.jpg

Your also really awesome at Photoshop.
  • edited March 2011
    Charlie Sheen is even more awesome at being old.
  • edited March 2011
    Irishmile is a genius, he just doesn't know it and doesn't always act like it :D...

He's one of the coolest people here, just ask all the other cool people here...
  • edited March 2011
    doodo! wrote: »
    Irishmile is a genius, he just doesn't know it and doesn't always act like it :D...

He's one of the coolest people here, just ask all the other cool people here...

Like me!!! And yes, it is true, and I know that... well.. because im cool ofcourse!
  • edited March 2011
    People keep saying that it's the same type of roar that games like Dino Crisis used, but I don't see that. The roar sounds better in Dino Crisis, in fact...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp-59rTKNi4

Skip ahead brother (to the part with the Rex).
  • edited March 2011
    leon101 wrote: »
    People keep saying that it's the same type of roar that games like Dino Crisis used, but I don't see that. The roar sounds better in Dino Crisis, in fact...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp-59rTKNi4

Skip ahead brother (to the part with the Rex).

I listened to it and I could hear it was the same roar.
  • edited March 2011
    Yeah, it's the dino crisis roar no doubt.

But they fixed it :)
  • edited March 2011
    In the updated trailer, you can hear the proper T-Rex roar. :)
  • edited March 2011
    In the updated trailer, you can hear the proper T-Rex roar. :)
    Yes, and it sound like it should. Awesome! :D
This discussion has been closed.