Dinosaur Movies

edited July 2011 in Jurassic Park
I thought this would be a nice thread to shorten the time till the release of the game... But I guess it will need a few more.:)

Which other dinosaur movies/movies with dinosaurs are worth watching? Maybe some classics? What can you recommend?

Comments

• edited May 2011
    The silent version of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's "The Lost World" from 1925 is a classic. That movie had better looking dinosaurs than some of the later versions of the same story. I think it's also worth mentioning because it's the first actual dinosaur "movie" ever made.

Lost_World_1925_Still_01.jpg

I never liked the movies from the 60s where they just stuck horns on Iguanas and called them dinosaurs.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2011
    Maybe some classics?

QY2p4.jpg

:D
  • edited May 2011
    Unfortunately there aren't many good dinosaur movies except Jurassic Park series.
    Here are some good ones ,and some weak but watchable ones:
    -Peter Jackson's King Kong (2005) -Great movie with awesome dinosaur CGI.
    -Disney's Dinosaur (2000) )-Good CGI animated movie
    -The Land Before TIme (1988) ) - Kids animation,decent nonetheless.
    -Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World (TV 2001) - The only decent movie based on Conan Doyle's novel,although it's just a TV movie (i still hope they will eventually make a big budget movie loyal to the novel);i never liked the silent one from 1925,but i guess you could check that one out too.
    -Terra Nova (TV Series 2011) -The series will air this fall on FOX,and it is produced by Steven Spielberg ;it was supposed to air this may but it was delayed to fall,but anyway the plot and the preview look great,it has great potential and besides it will air at the same time the JP game will launch :D
    -Walking With Dinosaurs (TV MiniSeries 1999) -Awesome CGI Documentary,produced by BBC and Discovery Channel.
    -Dinosaur Planet (TV MiniSeries 2003) - Another great CGI Documentary,also produced by Discovery Channel
    -A Sound of Thunder (2005) - Although it's a weak SF movie,it has some nice dinosaurs in it.
    -Carnosaur (1993)- Cheesy B-Movie based on John Brosnan's novel;i only watched it because i liked the novel.
    -Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (2009) - Great animation,like the other 2 movies of the series.
    -The Tree of Life (2011)- A very ambitious movie from Terrence Malick that will launch in theaters this month;although the details aren't clear ,it seems it will feature some CGI dinosaurs (but probably in just a few scenes).
    -Dinotopia (TV MiniSeries 2002) -Decent dinosaur show.
  • edited May 2011
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    QY2p4.jpg

Definitely! I remember watching this one gorwing up. I never really watched the 12 sequels.
  • edited May 2011
    Prehistoric Planet- Nice little spin-off of WWE for the kids, used to watch It all the time when I came home from school, then it disaperred.
  • edited May 2011
    Disney-Dinosaur.jpg

Best dinosaur movie hands down.
  • edited May 2011
    The Valley of Gwangi for sure! Really cool. There was also a movie I used to have on VHS called Dinosaura. Where a T-Rex, Brontosaurus and a cave man that have been frozen come back to life and start roaming around mexico. Not the best movie but it was entertaining to watch.
  • edited May 2011
    -Peter Jackson's King Kong (2005) -Great movie with awesome dinosaur CGI.

The only "King Kong" I've seen so far, it was far too long!
    -Disney's Dinosaur (2000) )-Good CGI animated movie

It's a while ago when I watched this, but I've seen it in theater. It was pretty awesome back then, but it wasn't scientifically correct (for a dinosaur fan I was;)).
    -The Land Before TIme (1988) ) - Kids animation,decent nonetheless.

I loved that very much when I was a kid. The first one was very sad and dark, but the first sequels were much "happier" and good too.
    -Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World (TV 2001) - The only decent movie based on Conan Doyle's novel,although it's just a TV movie (i still hope they will eventually make a big budget movie loyal to the novel);i never liked the silent one from 1925,but i guess you could check that one out too.

Yeah, I have seen that once. As far as I remember, it had some dinosaurs from "Walking with Dinosaurs"...
    -Walking With Dinosaurs (TV MiniSeries 1999) -Awesome CGI Documentary,produced by BBC and Discovery Channel.

That documentary was great and also the early following spin-offs. The most recent ones were not that good. Seeing people walking around next to dinosaurs, that isn't a documentary anymore.
    -Dinotopia (TV MiniSeries 2002) -Decent dinosaur show.

I didn't like that. It was far too kitschy for me.
    There was also a movie I used to have on VHS called Dinosaura. Where a T-Rex, Brontosaurus and a cave man that have been frozen come back to life and start roaming around mexico. Not the best movie but it was entertaining to watch.

You mean "Dinosaurs!" from 1960. I have seen parts of it when I was a kid. I need to watch this again.:)
  • edited May 2011
    Dinosaurus_DVD.jpg
  • edited May 2011
    I'm a big Disney fan, but I don't think Dinosaurs is that great. It was mostly just an exploration of the technology; the story clearly took the backseat. But I do like The Land Before Time.
  • edited May 2011
    I knew it was either dinosaura or dinosaurus. Wasn't sure though.
  • edited May 2011
    Disney-Dinosaur.jpg

Best dinosaur movie hands down.

Are you on the pot citizen? Are you forgetting the reason why we are together on these forums?
  • edited May 2011
    RexMaster wrote: »
    Are you on the pot citizen? Are you forgetting the reason why we are together on these forums?

RexMaster has a point Faceslasher
  • edited May 2011
    A very good point, indeed.
  • edited May 2011
    RexMaster wrote: »

I never experienced the full JP till i was 12.

I kept getting scared. Dinosaur was the only movie that didn't scare me.
  • edited May 2011
    I kept getting scared.

Ha! Nice same with me! :cool:
  • edited May 2011

I kept getting scared.

"Jurassic Park" scared me too when I watched it the first time. But I watched it so often, beginning at the age of 6 (one year before the second came out). They were THE movies of my childhood.:)
  • edited May 2011
  • edited May 2011

How old r u if:confused: u dont mind? I experienced JP at age 3 in 1998 though and was scared of it the first time but i garuntee i have seen it 100,000,000 times already and thats no lie. every day i would go to my Baba and Pa's (gramma and grampa) and watch until i started to go to school but eveytime i was there or am there i watch in on VHS:D
  • edited May 2011
    SeanJP wrote: »
    i watch in on VHS:D

Classic! my kind of guy :cool:
  • edited May 2011
    How old r u if:confused: u dont mind? I experienced JP at age 3 in 1998 though and was scared of it the first time but i garuntee i have seen it 100,000,000 times already and thats no lie. every day i would go to my Baba and Pa's (gramma and grampa) and watch until i started to go to school but eveytime i was there or am there i watch in on VHS:D

JP got debut in the early 90s. I was around 5/6.
  • edited May 2011
    Tropikerna wrote: »

I can top that with Theordore Rex! :P
  • edited May 2011
    And let's not forget about We're back - A dinosaur's story
  • edited May 2011
    Yeah, I have seen The Lost World 2001 once. As far as I remember, it had some dinosaurs from "Walking with Dinosaurs"

You'd be very near the mark by saying that; the dinosaurs in Lost World were made by the same people who worked on the CG and animatronics for WWD. The main ones that appear in the film were redesigns (allosaurus and iguanodon) and new additions (hypsilophodon and pteranodon) made just for the film, while the rest were recycled straight from WWD for cameos. I'm watching the film right now as we speak on the UK DVD - it's a single disc release unlike the one that came out in the US, but it came in a limited edition box that's shaped like a book :)
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited May 2011
    I'm a big Disney fan, but I don't think Dinosaurs is that great.

I've never seen the movie. But the soundtrack was worth every price. :D
  • edited May 2011
    I have nothing really to say about what this was.
  • edited May 2011
    Cadillacs and Dinosaurs (TV Series 1993-1994)
    I loved the show when i was a kid...there were also comics and video games.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9c2K4Jl5LI

51ysMyv2OVL._SL500_.jpg
  • edited May 2011
    TorQue wrote: »
    Cadillacs and Dinosaurs (TV Series 1993-1994)
    I loved the show when i was a kid...there were also comics and video games.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9c2K4Jl5LI

51ysMyv2OVL._SL500_.jpg

I remember Cadilacs and Dinosaurs...wish I could find the comics.
  • edited May 2011
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    QY2p4.jpg

After all, It IS the adventure that started it all!

lol I remember the first time I ever saw that it was being sold at McDonalds in 1993 trying to capitalize on JP's success, whats better than a JP happy meal and big foot? Nothing! thats what!:D

mommy bought it for me for $5 :P
  • edited May 2011
    trocks wrote: »
    Dinosaurus_DVD.jpg

I cant even begin to tell you how long I've searched for this movie!!!

used to have a VHS as a kid and it broke, so happy somebody posted this! :)

a decade of searching(more or less remembering and wondering the name) not gone to waste! Ooorahhh!
  • edited May 2011
    There was Prehysteria! too. Only saw the first one with the Last Action Hero kid but apparently there's 3.
  • edited May 2011
    You'd be very near the mark by saying that; the dinosaurs in Lost World were made by the same people who worked on the CG and animatronics for WWD. I'm watching the film right now as we speak on the UK DVD - it's a single disc release unlike the one that came out in the US, but it came in a limited edition box that's shaped like a book :)

Of the three movie adaptions I've seen (this, the pilot for some TV series and the one from 1998 wich had a character that should look like Richard Attenborough in "Jurassic Park"...), this was definitely the least cheap movie! But I have never read the book...
  • edited June 2011
    I cant even begin to tell you how long I've searched for this movie!!!

used to have a VHS as a kid and it broke, so happy somebody posted this! :)

a decade of searching(more or less remembering and wondering the name) not gone to waste! Ooorahhh!

Ooorrahhh!!!

Yeah, after mentioning it I was about to buy it off of ebay but it's actually on netfilx which i thought was surprising. So I just watched in on the ps3. Brought back memories.
  • edited June 2011
    Here's a list of movies with dinosaurs or dinosaur-like animals from 1913 until 2008.

http://public.wsu.edu/~delahoyd/dinofilms.html
  • edited June 2011
    Adventures in Dinosaur City
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PPDiMshnvc
    i garuntee i have seen it 100,000,000 times already and thats no lie.

I guarantee it is...
  • edited June 2011

Really. I think I saw Jurassic Park when I was five or six and loved it then. There were a few moments when I would run into the kitchen and hide behind the stove the first time, but after that, I was fine with it. Maybe I was a weird child...
  • edited June 2011
    Really. I think I saw Jurassic Park when I was five or six and loved it then. There were a few moments when I would run into the kitchen and hide behind the stove the first time, but after that, I was fine with it. Maybe I was a weird child...

My God when u said "i would hide behind the stove" it reminded me of when I used to play JP with my cousin when we were little she was always lex and i was tim and we would be crawling on our hands and knees and go from the kitchen to the dining room then into the kitchen where we would hide behind the stove and pretend the raptor was in the kitchen
  • edited June 2011
    Oh duh and dont forget the movie Prehysteria. that is the best;)
  • edited July 2011
    My God when u said "i would hide behind the stove" it reminded me of when I used to play JP with my cousin when we were little she was always lex and i was tim and we would be crawling on our hands and knees and go from the kitchen to the dining room then into the kitchen where we would hide behind the stove and pretend the raptor was in the kitchen

I guess I just figured that if it worked for the kids in the movie, it would probably work for me, too. Though to be perfectly honest, I spent more time hiding behind the stove during Annie (Ms. Hannigan scared the bejesus out of me) than I did during Jurassic Park.
  • edited July 2011
    Really? Im surprised no mention of this amazing show.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTi4LepOs6plDxUoQWgWeqXHsYa7ojOQ-Gv3N1y15uEFUj5a79j&t=1
Sign in to comment in this discussion.