Remake Jurassic Park and The Lost World (with Spielberg as Producer)

edited September 2012 in Jurassic Park
Somebody started a campaign that could actually be successful, but we need more people to participate.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Remake-Jurassic-Park-and-The-Lost-World-with-Spielberg-as-Producer/228708970475230

We must send letters to Universal (or e-mail the studio) and explain this brilliant idea:

If Universal is afraid to remake the JP movies (because of the Spielberg-fanboys who are so biased towards the original movie) then we have to convince Universal to GET SPIELBERG TO BE THE PRODUCER OF THE REMAKES. It might be the only way to convince the public that this project will be taken seriously.

"In Steve We Trust"

The posters for the remakes could even say: "STEVEN SPIELBERG PRESENTS" above the title, just like other movies he was only the producer of.

P.S.
If you don't like the term "remake," then just think of it as a "reboot" instead...because our motivation is more about the books than it is about Spielberg's films.

Comments

• edited June 2011
    exactly how many people have done this so far???
  • edited June 2011
    SeanJP wrote: »
    exactly how many people have done this so far???

We don't know for sure, because the people who liked the Facebook page probably did so w/o noticing the part about writing letters to Universal. BUT if they did notice, then that means at least 15 people have sent in letters to Universal in the last few days.
  • edited June 2011
    i hope you are right by doing this and i wouldnt rly mind seeing a remak of the first and second movies i especially want to see the raptor chase with ellie in the book that wasnt really a chase in the movie
  • edited June 2011
    Chariloe wrote: »
    We must send letters to Universal (or e-mail the studio) and explain this,

Letters are boring and unprofessional; the studio just won't take it seriously. What you really need to do is submit your ideas on baked goods like cupcakes. Everybody likes cupcakes. Each day we will ship Universal one new cupcake topped with original ideas like plot points, character castings, and test dialogue written in icing sugar. We can call it the "Cupcakes for Remakes" campaign. It's brilliant and delicious.

Let's get started! Who knows how to bake?
  • edited June 2011
    me i know how to bake and who has nice penmanship???
  • edited June 2011
    If they remake it....they HAVE to keep the dinosaur designs the same. I'm just the littlest bit apprehensive about this.
  • edited June 2011
    It's too early for a remake. I want a part 4!!!!!
  • edited June 2011
    It's too early for a remake.
    No it isn't!

Spider-Man came out in 2002, and that's getting a remake in 2012, even though they're calling it a "reboot" (the Jurassic Park remake can be called the same thing).

Jurassic Park came out almost twice as long ago. So that amount of time can justify a remake.
    I want a part 4!!!!!
    Why did you put this in your post? Are you saying Universal can't make a remake and a part 4?
  • edited June 2011
    I'd also rather prefer a remake in terms of visualizing the novel.
    As I already said in the "JP4 Thread" it would also be a sign to honor the work of Michael Crichton.
    2013 would be the 20th birthday of Jurassic Park. In general this would be a good date for a remake but I doubt it can be done in only 2 years from now on.

The movie Jurassic Park became popular not only because of the general interest in dinosaurs in the early 1990s but mostly because of the breathtaking CGI-animations at that time. For a remake we are now at a similar point concerning technology. CGI has already been maxed out during the last decade. But we are now at the very beginning of 3D technology. Using this a new Jurassic Park has again the chance to impress visually.

I'd like the remake of Jurassic Park to be set like it is in the original novel: 1989.
    Thus there should be used thereadays architecture, technical equipment, cars and fashion. The design of the dinosaurs should use the same bodyshape as in the original trilogy (mostly this doesn't contradict with the novel) but the rest (skin colors...) should be taken from the book.
    Jurassic Park would be a rather long movie, if we take all the scenes from the novel, so it should be split into two movies. The first film starts right off in the hospital in Bahia Anasco and ends directly after the T-Rex attack on the Land Cruisers.
    The second one takes off with Harding, Sattler and Gennaro meeting the Apatosaurs in the rain and ends in San José.

If this turns out to be liked by the audience they maybe could remake the novel "The Lost World" too.

All this I would rather prefer than a fourth movie.
  • edited June 2011
    No it isn't!

Spider-Man came out in 2002, and that's getting a remake in 2012, even though they're calling it a "reboot" (the Jurassic Park remake can be called the same thing).

Jurassic Park came out almost twice as long ago. So that amount of time can justify a remake.

Why did you put this in your post? Are you saying Universal can't make a remake and a part 4?

YES IT IS!! Spider Man did indeed come out in 2002 and I think it's a crap idea for them to reboot the series just because they feel that the third film was not as good as the first two. I enjoyed spiderman 3 and I loved the casting but now we have all new people and now we have to sit through the whole orgin story all over again. One word: BORING!!!!!

And no, you can't release a remake and a Jurassic Park 4 at them same time if that's what you're asking. But if its not, I'm just saying that I loved all three Jurassic Park films and I think there's still a lot left to be explored in the series without having to reboot the damn thing.
  • edited June 2011
    I will say this. It usually does more harm than good when fans sign petitions and the such for remaking or getting things done. Because it puts more stress on the director, producer and the such to try and get things right.
  • edited June 2011
    Icedhope wrote: »
    I will say this. It usually does more harm than good when fans sign petitions and the such for remaking or getting things done. Because it puts more stress on the director, producer and the such to try and get things right.

Exactly, it takes time to get things perfect, rushing him and TELLING him what he should do will only be a detriment to the process, and he'll be less likely to consider it again.
  • edited June 2011
    Icedhope wrote: »

Know what takes the edge off? Cupcakes. Lots and lots of cupcakes.
  • edited June 2011
    Hoenstly I'd rather see a continuation of the existing story, such as Johnson's new Trilogy. But if it does come down to a complete reboot is has to be really really good. Having established mainstays of the previous movies makes this really hard to do because no one can replace the wonderful original actors.

I'm glad that JP is seeing more interest now, but at the same time I don't want it to start from scratch all over again.
  • edited June 2011
    Jurassic Park does NOT need to be remade. If you want to see it in theaters again you need to push for a revival.
  • edited June 2011
    FPug wrote: »
    ...it takes time to get things perfect, rushing him and TELLING him what he should do will only be a detriment to the process, and he'll be less likely to consider it again.
    But that's not what the Facebook page is saying.

All they want is for Universal to START the project soon, not finish soon...It says they want the confirmation that the project is a go to come as soon as possible, but he can take all the time he needs to produce the remakes.

When Universal confirms that they're producing the remakes, a forum should be started (maybe at JPLegacy) specifically for the director/writers to seek input from the fans. That's what Michael Bay did for the 1st Transformers. He and the writers actually listened to some things. But that doesn't mean they have to rush the production.
  • edited June 2011
    Maybe a sequel to JPOG will come along with that remake!
  • edited June 2011
    A reboot for Summer 2013 is the only thing I'm supporting.

Use the same science, even the same characters, but have it so the theme park is completely operational and then goes belly up. A terrorist attack done by eco-extremists. And on the mainland from the get-go.
  • edited June 2011
    Bad idea. Leave the first one alone!
  • edited June 2011
    jpsandhu wrote: »

*like* I agree but same with the second one, fuck the remakes, this movie changed the world of movies and the world in general and u dont think its good enough even though it stood the test of time after 18 years already? Wow...
  • edited June 2011
    jpsandhu wrote: »
    *Dislike* That's a pointless comment. Just because Universal can do a remake, doesn't mean they would be bothering the first one. Remakes have proven to be great countless times. And besides, no matter how good or bad a remake is, it has no effect on the first version whatsoever. The first version stays the way it is. If you don't like the remake---which would NOT mean that it's a bad movie---then you can just rewatch Spielberg's version and pretend the remake doesn't exist. They might tell different versions of the same story but they're not forcing you to like both....Our desire for a remake has nothing to do with disliking Spielberg's version. The facebook page explained it clearly. Just because some people like Spielberg's version, doesn't mean we shouldn't want to see a closer adaptation of the novels.
  • edited June 2011
    i don't like this idea at all.
  • edited June 2011
    I dont know how id feel about a remake/reboot to be honest.

On one hand Id love to see all the scenes from the novels, especially the lost world since that one was so different from the novel.

On the other hand im not a big fan of remaking movies, especially when they were so good in the first place. Different actors being a big one, when you get attached to someone playing a certain character, its hard seeing that same character being played by someone else (For me at least anyway :P) sometimes it just cant be helped though.

I understand that this new reboot would be a different movie, going with the novel and whatnot, but there are things people fall in love with in the original that they dont really want changed.

I think if they could make the movie about the novel but also keep as much as they can the same from the original movie it would work best. Keep the dinosaur designs and sound effects the same from the first movie, definitely the music, the jeeps and explorers, the things like that, and try to keep as much of the original cast as possible.

Thats the way id like it anyway :P

Also, if they decide not do start Jurassic park over if telltale could get the rights to the novels I think that would be good for the next jp game.
  • edited June 2011
    *Dislike* That's a pointless comment. Just because Universal can do a remake, doesn't mean they would be bothering the first one. If you don't like the remake, you can just rewatch Spielberg's version and pretend the remake doesn't exist....Our desire for a remake has nothing to do with disliking Spielberg's version. The facebook page explained it clearly. Just because some people like Spielberg's version, doesn't mean we shouldn't want to see a closer adaptation of the novels.

*disklike* to the horrible post that i just quoted actually... When you have created the best movie and sequel of all time, why fuck with it? Bad stuff happens if you do... OH, u must not have seen Jurassic Park III! It also pisses me off that u said "some" people like Spielbergs version... Spielbergs version is the only version first of all and it remains one of the highest grossing movies of all time after 18 years so I think that more that "some" people like it. I personally think that the only thing that you can do to improve such an amazing franchise is exactly what Telltale is doing, tell more stories in game form because then, it costs way less and if you screw up, itll just fit in with the other 5,000 JP games that failed (Trespasser isnt one of em!!!)
  • edited June 2011
    Guys let's not start flaming and causing trouble about this...why don't we get back to discussing what a remake would be like or what characters would be in it.

Personaly I would like to see a remake that is actually closer to the novels...nothing will ever take the first movie off it's throne nothing.
  • edited June 2011
    I'm not considering myself as a Spielberg-Fanboy, but I am a Jurassic Park-Fanboy and thus I think this is a bad idea, leave it for the memories, noone needs a Remake or Reboot or whatever you call it.

It would be basically the same thing with some alternate story-parts and characters/sets. Why? Totally pointless...

Also the makers of the film didnt changed the script compared to the books for no reason, a book cant be converted 1:1 to movie, it has to be adjusted to the medium, so the call for a remake closer to the books is just a stupid idea!

But I dont have to worry, even if some thousand people sign that (well, 15 so far XD), it wouldnt be nearly enough to take the risk off of a big project like this!

PS:
    Spielberg as a producer wouldnt calm "movie-fanboys" as they call it at all. Seeing what George Lucas did with Star Wars or the reactions to the latest Indiana Jones movie prove it.
  • edited June 2011
    When someone wants an updated Jurassic Park-film, just continue the story as telltale does.

Why not tell the story of how Site B went down? Enough potential to show some big CGI Dino-Action in 3D and remind the feel of the first two movies. Enough character potenial and it would be something fans would be interested in without raping the established classic first movie...
  • edited June 2011
    the guys over at jplegacy.org did already suggest actors who could portray the main characters from the novel.

these guys would make an appearance in a possible jurassic park remake:

Dr. Alan Grant >> Viggo Mortensen
    viggo-mortensen-beard.jpg

Dr. Ian Malcolm >> John Cusack
    18486_john-cusack.jpg

Dr. Ellen Sattler >> Charlieze Theron
    71262_video-269690-access-extended-charlize-theron-talks-hancock.jpg

John A. Hammond >> David McCallum
    David-McCallum-5.jpg

Donald Gennaro >> Nicolas Cage
    nicolas_cage_image__1_.jpg

Robert Muldoon >> Bruce Willis
    willis.jpg

Dr. Gerry Harding >> Pierce Brosnan
    PierceBrosnanx-large.jpg

Dr. Henry Wu >> Chin Han
    CSH-058250.jpg

Ed Regis >> Kevin McKidd
    kevin-mckidd-0.jpg

Tim Murphy >>

Alexis Murphy >> Chloe Moretz
    chloe_moretz23.jpg

Dennis Nedry >> Jonah Hill
    Jonah-Hill.jpg
  • edited June 2011
    tope1983 wrote: »
    the guys over at jplegacy.org did already suggest actors who could portray the main characters from the novel.

these guys would make an appearance in a possible jurassic park remake:

Besides the fact that this will never ever happen: C'Mon. That sounds horrible! John Cusack as Ian Malcolm? How could you replace Jeff Goldblum with John Cusack. And Viggo Mortensen is not nearly as sympathic as Sam Neill. Yeah, waste millions of dollars with high class actors who would never be able to fill the footsteps of the original cast in the fans hearts and waste more millions to make the same movie with better effects and some story changes?

And why would you ever want to disgrace the memories of the first film with a remake wich would be more than pointless! Just for better CGI? JP was good because it never relied only on them, so why make it bigger and better looking? This movie is not so filled with 90es feeling and is pretty timeless even with its CGI, it doesnt need a remake!

If you desperetly want to, polish the visuals and sound, add some minor things like in Alien or Blade Runner which are timeless as well and maybe add 3D. That would be acceptable. Bullshit like the Psycho-Remake that noone needed cause it chose the way these guys are suggesting, only leads to epic failure...
  • edited June 2011
    Sadonicus wrote: »
    Besides the fact that this will never ever happen: C'Mon. That sounds horrible! John Cusack as Ian Malcolm? How could you replace Jeff Goldblum with John Cusack. And Viggo Mortensen is not nearly as sympathic as Sam Neill. Yeah, waste millions of dollars with high class actors who would never be able to fill the footsteps of the original cast in the fans hearts and waste more millions to make the same movie with better effects and some story changes?

And why would you ever want to disgrace the memories of the first film with a remake wich would be more than pointless! Just for better CGI? JP was good because it never relied only on them, so why make it bigger and better looking? This movie is not so filled with 90es feeling and is pretty timeless even with its CGI, it doesnt need a remake!

If you desperetly want to, polish the visuals and sound, add some minor things like in Alien or Blade Runner which are timeless as well and maybe add 3D. That would be acceptable. Bullshit like the Psycho-Remake that noone needed cause it chose the way these guys are suggesting, only leads to epic failure...

Ick, I agree, that cast list it one of the reasons I wouldnt want to see a remake.

I wouldnt think a remake would be disgracing the original movie or anything though, i seriously doubt anyone here wants that. everyone here loves jurassic park. I think they want more like.. well.. i dont know if youve seen fullmetal alchemist or not, but basically it was a manga they made into an anime series though that series used most of all the same characters themes and ideas the story went in a different direction, then after that one was done they remade the series again, same characters same voice actors (mostly, a few changes needed to be made) everything, just now they stuck to the same story from the manga.

I think thats what they want from jurassic park, they dont want to disgrace the first, or replace the first or anything like that, they want the same setting characters and everything, just the story being mostly the same but going a different way with it closer to the novel.

But i think we can both agree on this part: I really doubt it will work without the original cast.

Maybe if they can get as many people as they could back.. but i dont know.

As for me, im still undecided on the whole issue of the remake, i can see good things and bad. But i think one thing we can all agree on is this: We all want more jurassic park, either jp4, a remake, or more games, right? :D
  • edited June 2011
    I could go for Pierce Brosnan and Chin Han, but NICHOLAS CAGE?! Why would you ruin a good movie like that? Nicholas Cage's actor type is NOT for this movie. Neither is Charlieze Theran who looks too old. And of all people Bruce Willis? C'mon guys you have to go deeper than JUST appearance...and John F***ing Cusack?! How bad do you want people to make fun of this movie?
  • edited June 2011
    The two first movies are awesome. The novels are far better. Look what peter Jackson did with king Kong, that was great. My wish, restart the two first movies, following the books, two 2 hours and a half movies and extended edition of more than 3 hours like the lord if the ring. Spielberg as director or at least producer. no need celebrities, just good actors. All the guys and girls who read the novel must have this felling: why they didn't show this scene? Or this one? That would have been awesome. Simple, movie length, technical limit of the 90th, budget. Let correct all this and make two movies Michael crichton and stan winston would be proud of. Of course all this is just my humble opinion ^,^
  • edited June 2011
    I like the list of actor choices there. (Still against a remake though :P)

However, I would have the actor from Lost who played Hurly to be Nedry.

Oh, and Daniel Craig as Robert Muldoon.
  • edited June 2011
    in my opinion the chick who jplegacy had as ellie sattler is horrible and she could shove it no one and i mean no one replaces laura dern as Ellie no one portrays ellie better than laura dern
  • edited June 2011
    Sadonicus wrote: »

i agree.. a novel based movie...its a bit too late for that the first one rocks too much already
  • edited June 2011
    Henrique Tomassi made a draft of the Jurassic Park logo as it could have been looked in the novel:
    jurassic_park_logo_novel_pequeno.jpg

In the book it has never been described very well, in fact it was only mentioned once and said that it was blue and showed a dinosaur.
  • edited June 2011
    Yeah, the novel didn't really focus on the logo that much. But the logo was more important for the movie than the novel.

EDIT:
    Okay, I gota know when to fold them. The first film was amazing. The second film was great. The third film was okay. However, the third film took the series into a direction that's hard to continue from.

First of all, InGen is praticly gone so any story there would be hard to do without making some type of crazy explination as to how they're no longer bankrupt anymore.

The rival company, Biosyn, is no longer relevant. After all, everyone knows there are dinosaurs on the island so the whole secreat mission of trying to get dino DNA goes out the window.

In other words, so much time has passed from the first film and the thrid film when so far into left field that its hard to bring it back. So.... okay.... I guess I'm ready for a reboot of the series.

But hey, Spielberg is all for it too. I was just watching the recent WeeklyWood on IGN and they say the Spielberg is talking with one of the writer from the Thor movie to start working on a reboot. No director is announced so far but we'll just have to see where this all goes from here.

However, I would like for them to stay as true to the novel as possible. I would like it to feel like the first one did. Nothing outrages, no crazy "King Kong" type action scenes. I want a down to earth, realistic and scary Jurassic park film. Anything else would be a great disapointment.
  • edited June 2011
    ^^absolutely agree.

catching the tone from the novel and staying really true to it!

according the actors: even famous roles were often changed.
    just take james bond as an example.

and a remake with the SAME actors doesn't make that much sense to me.
    a remake is another adaption of either the source or the original film.
    as other works got adapted very often too (classics like romeo & juliet, hamlet or the fly, funny games, gone in 60 seconds, last man standing) it can be done with jurassic park too.

but in that case i don't want to see one of the same actors or stuff.
    if staying as close as possible to the novel there has to be toyota land cruisers
    Jplandcruiser.jpg
    a different looking visitors center and no jurassic park gate.

but there are raptor nests in caverns
    [IMG][/img]http://th06.deviantart.net/fs70/150/i/2010/128/9/1/Jurassic_Park_Illustration2_by_Stomac.jpg

the t-rex chasing the raft with Grant and the kids in the lagoon
    t-rex%2Be%2Bbote.bmp

isla nublars fog
    rainforest.jpg

the helicopter landing path
    9278994-pathway-in-the-misty-pine-forest.jpg

the bamboo path to the raptor pen
    bamboo-forest-hana.jpg

the sunrise in the morning
    sunrise-jungle-retreat-sepilok-img_1881.jpg

the jungle river
    jungle-greenery-waterfalls-fog.jpg

& some spots of the tour road
    imgp1764.JPG
    Favim.com-13216.jpg
  • Sinaz20Sinaz20 Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2011
    Here's my issue with this idea...

What would you rather have?

A.) A talented, proven director finds a passionate resolve to adapt Jurassic Park novels into "truer" films...

-or-

B.) Pressured by crazed fans, Universal Studios rushes a project and throws the reigns to the lowest bidder?

I mean, just think what would have happened if LotR was put together by a director who couldn't care less for the smallest budget possible to cash in a hypothetical trend in fantasy films.
  • edited June 2011
    Honestly, I really wouldn't like to see a remake. Why? Because the original films were great (well the first one...and sorta the second one), had decent special effects, acting, plot, etc... Technologically, there isn't a whole lot that could be added to the films to make them better, so why bother?

It just isn't worth it, to me to remake a film to add a few extra scenes from the books. Those scenes were cut for a reason, probably because they didn't have very good cinematic quality. Since the original movies were great even though they didn't follow the books, I'm forced to infer that the choices about what content to cut and what to include were relatively good ones.

So tl;dr: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.