Jurassic Park The Game: Review thread - post your impressions here!

The release date for the game is finally here and I'm sure everyone will be dieing to voice their opinions on the game as well as post reviews from other websites. Instead of having thousands of post with different reviews, I figured it would be easier to have one thread dedicated to Jurassic Park reviews.

I haven't been able to play it yet but I will be posting seperate reviews for each episode here as I finish them.

So if anyone wants to share their opinon after finally getting to play the game, or want to share links to reviews of the game from other website here's a great thread to do it.

And, of course, try to use those Spoiler tabs when needed!!!

Comments

• edited November 2011
    the controls are cool (Xbox 360)!!!
  • edited November 2011
    the game is awesome so far :).
    Dogson! I got Dogson Here! she dose not care.
  • edited November 2011
    Finally got to play, and it's horribly bugged.

This is just insane, why is this happening?

The game isn't off it's feet yet. Give it a chance.
  • edited November 2011
    I'm at the part with the Yellow Jacket dude where you explore him, and I can't click on anything.
  • edited November 2011
    Glitch #2

The Jungle Scene: Getting stuck when I slash and hack, if I fail, it constantly fails. This really needs to be addressed. Now.
  • edited November 2011
    Now the buttons go missing, this is really pissing me off.
  • edited November 2011
    Alright, after 30 minutes of gameplay...

I am not impressed, tons of waiting for a game that's still buggy. What was improved exactly? This is the first time I have EVER said that I disliked a Telltale game.

I'm sorry but the story may be nice, but the gameplay annoys me like hell.

Delay it for another 7 months!
  • edited November 2011
    Alright let me rephrase my quote.

The game is just too buggy, I love the characters and the story. The gameplay just feels odd. I played Heavy Rain, and this isn't like it at all. Why can't we free roam? It's only limited to looking around. I'm really sorry, but I can't get the gameplay.

Telltale, I know the effort put into the game was large, but I just can't find it at all. And there are some bugs that weren't even ironed out. Come on guys, you know better then this!

But I must say, the graphics, holy god the graphics are AMAZING!
  • edited November 2011
    running fine on Xbox 360...

none of the bugs you mentioned are there.

my pc version is still downloading, so time will tell. I'll be using a 360 controller on my PC as suggested by numerous articles.
  • edited November 2011
    The game is just too buggy

It appears there's an issue with your computer or install rather than the game itself. Other people are not reporting any bugs even though they're getting the exact same version of the game.
  • edited November 2011
    Phew! I was worried! (No offence to you and your computer. Teehee)

Just I've been waiting for almost 2 years for this game. I'm about to play it in 50 minutes.

The way I'm killing time? Eating tacos and watching spongebob.
  • edited November 2011
    Well damn, this cursor disappearing shit is the only bug now.

And these action scenes freak me out,
    R.I.P Yellow Jacket Dude
  • Sinaz20Sinaz20 Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2011
    Well damn, this cursor disappearing shit is the only bug now.

And these action scenes freak me out,
    R.I.P Yellow Jacket Dude

If you're playing without a controller on the PC, the cursor disappears during Action Scenes to help reinforce that you won't be using it to save your life during this scene.

So-- it's a feature-- unless... your cursor has disappeared during an Exploration Scene.
  • edited November 2011
    Sinaz20 wrote: »
    If you're playing without a controller on the PC, the cursor disappears during Action Scenes to help reinforce that you won't be using it to save your life during this scene.

So-- it's a feature-- unless... your cursor has disappeared during an Exploration Scene.

It disappeared during the Exploration scene. Hell it's not a problem really. But I can't afford a gaming controller. And the PS3 one I have doesn't wanna work with my PC.
  • edited November 2011
    I just finished the first episode on PS3.

It looks and sounds great! I didn't encounter any bugs, just a frame rate issue once or twice. I'm hugely impressed with the story and design elements so far.

Also, great job with the beginning!
  • edited November 2011
    35i8285.jpg
  • edited November 2011
    kwool wrote: »
    I just finished the first episode on PS3.

It looks and sounds great! I didn't encounter any bugs, just a frame rate issue once or twice. I'm hugely impressed with the story and design elements so far.

Also, great job with the beginning!

hey kwool how long did it take to beat episode 1
  • edited November 2011
    Well, it's not EXACTLY what I was expecting, but at its core, it's not that different from other games Telltale has put out. Just, no inventory system and no directly controlling the characters you play as.
  • edited November 2011
    Now the buttons go missing, this is really pissing me off.

whoa that is buggy.
  • edited November 2011
    I have 3 minutes left untill the download is FINALLY done.

My long life time reward!

All my terrible work is being consequenced (IF that's a word e.e) by me getting chased by dinosaurs. Thank you for this punishment. ^-^ WISH ME LUCK!
  • edited November 2011
    Sound error during the Tour Car part. Jeeeesus.
  • edited November 2011
    Jurassic Park: The Game Episode One. Playstaion 3

So far, I have only played Episode One, So I can’t really fully review the game as a whole in terms of the story and the characters. But what I can do is given my impression so far in terms of game play and graphics, as well as some of the encounters in the game.

For starters, I like the main menu. It’s simple, and the T-Rex that it showcases looks awesome. I also notice that there is a section that you can use to replay scenarios. So no need to play from the beginning if you want to just replay one part of the game.

The game has it’s share of pros and cons. So let’s get the cons out the way first.
    CONS!
    Right away I noticed a few problems. First of all, the game lags…. Quite a bit unfortunately. I noticed that in between most button prompts the games kind of stops for a few seconds which I’m guessing is the game loading the proper reaction to the button you pressed. This doesn’t happen through out the entire game. But there were areas where it was worse than others. It’s not a game breaking issue but when it comes to some of the really cool action scenes it would have been a better experience if the scenes played more smoothly.
    Another Con would have to be just how short this episode is. I beat this thing in about two hours. I was kind of hoping the episode would be longer. But I haven’t played the next episodes so I can’t say if they are all this short or not.
    Another thing I was disappointed with was the lack of actually story telling. Don’t get me wrong, there is a story here. But there were moments at the beginning that I felt should have went on longer and , Surprisingly, those moments are the ones that didn’t feature dinosaurs at all. There are two points in the game (one feature Dr. Harding and his Daughter and one where Nima is first introduced) that I felt should have went on longer to establish the character more. But again, there are still 3 more episodes to go so there’s a lot more time for these characters to become more developed.

PRO!
    Telltale really captured the look and feel of a Jurassic Park film. Especially the look and feel of the original film. Which is a great thing seeing how it takes place during and after the first film. When it comes to the looks of the island, the dinosaurs, the jeeps and all that good stuff, everything looks as it should. Fans of the series shouldn’t have too many complaints when it come to the look of the game.

The Graphics! That’s right! I’m saying the graphics are good! You got a problem with that? Let’s be realistic here. Yes, it’s not up to par with other games but what we have looks good. Especially the dinosaurs and especially the T-Rex. The T-Rex is very detailed and looks great and so the Trikes and the Dilo’s. The human character move a bit still at times but overall the graphics are very acceptable.

Even though the game lags during button prompts the set pieces are still very thrilling and entertaining. The Dilo scene is really cool, trying to get around the T-Rex and Trike fight was intense, and the encounter that happens a bit later with the Rex was amazing as well. I wishing some of these scenes were in the actual films!

Another thing that all Jurassic park fans will love is the nods to the first film. I couldn’t help but smile at the way the intro is the same as the film. And there’s a great “We got Dodgson Here!” reference as well. Through out the game little things are placed that link back to the first film and I’m sure every Jurassic Park fan will appreciate them.

NOTICE!!
    I need to go replay the game because I’m not exactly sure if picking different dialogue options changes the game all that much. It doesn’t seem like it. But I still need to go back and try everything before I can know for sure.

Overall, I enjoyed the episode. The lag and length of the game is a disappointment sure enough, but everything else made it a great Jurassic Park experience for me. I loved the action encounters with the dinosaurs. Some will argue the fact that this is really more of a interactive movie then a game. And I’ll admit, after finally playing it for myself I’m inclined to agree with them. But if anything, we’re getting one hell of an awesome story that I’m fully ready to consider cannon with the films.
  • edited November 2011
    thcoolnam wrote: »
    hey kwool how long did it take to beat episode 1

Probably around two hours. That's just an estimate, though.
  • edited November 2011
    i tried it out its awesome on highest settings! everything's perfect :)
    Xbox : good

PC: Awesome!
  • edited November 2011
    Might want to put a spoiler tag on your post. Fair assessment of the game though.
  • edited November 2011
    Okay, I am currently playing the game! Faceslasher I'll let you know if I have any problems! Wishhhh me luckk!
  • edited November 2011
    So how many times have you folks died?

I'm at 7, :P
  • edited November 2011
    I'm at the dock, only thing wrong is the volume of their voices changes '*Normals Voice* No she doesn't *High voice* KNOW* Normal* your name* And the rain seems to be more of a flicker, but everything is great! I love it! Even though in the prologue I ran int oa tree. ^-^ Whoops.
  • edited November 2011
    none :) (perfect)
  • edited November 2011
    none :) (perfect)

Aww, you're missing out on all the awesome deaths!
  • edited November 2011
    Don't forget to check out the journal when your done. Some neat info in there.
  • edited November 2011
    Done with Episode 1, and man was it a long one.

The action scenes are pretty rad, sadly I kept dying on the Dilo part, only died twice with the Rex. Pretty neat remake of the Jurassic Park OS, Telltale!

Really loved the game, but needs some bug fixing.
  • edited November 2011
    AndrewF wrote: »
    I'm at the dock, only thing wrong is the volume of their voices changes '*Normals Voice* No she doesn't *High voice* KNOW* Normal* your name* And the rain seems to be more of a flicker, but everything is great! I love it! Even though in the prologue I ran int oa tree. ^-^ Whoops.

Mess with your graphics, the rain flickered on me aswell. But I got it to stop.
  • edited November 2011
    I cant pick the passes up in the first episode i click LB and she reaches but wont pick them up.
  • edited November 2011
    DeaLynHer wrote: »
    I cant pick the passes up in the first episode i click LB and she reaches but wont pick them up.

Tip:
    She won't do it while the guard's watching.
  • edited November 2011
    any body have any problems with the cursor disappearing?
  • edited November 2011
    Finished the first episode, took me a couple of hours and I enjoyed it very much. It's good that they've tried something new with this game and I feel it fits it well. Also, it looks fantastic. By far the best looking Telltale game yet. Oh and another thing that I like is that the next episode started straight after the end of the first so it looks like you can play through the whole thing without having to go back to a menu to start the next episode which I think a number of people wanted for previous games. It also has room for a fair amount of re-playability which is good.
    Some will argue the fact that this is really more of a interactive movie then a game. And I’ll admit, after finally playing it for myself I’m inclined to agree with them. But if anything, we’re getting one hell of an awesome story that I’m fully ready to consider cannon with the films.

That is a fair point but I feel that I was drawn into the story well enough that I didn't really think about the gameplay, it just felt natural to me.

Another thing that might be interesting to note is a comparison of game size - for instance the 5 episodes of Tales of Monkey Island take up 1.4GB and the 4 episodes of Jurassic Park use 2.6GB and I think the larger amount of data shows especially graphically.
  • edited November 2011
    any body have any problems with the cursor disappearing?

It happened once to me, I just quit and restarted the game and carried on with no problems.
  • edited November 2011
    I find at times the button interactions serve no purpose and distract the player from the mood of the scene. At times it's so needless the sense of tension and immersion is completely lost. It's like Telltale is reminding you, "Hey, this is a game! Push buttons!"

The voice acting is great, but the facial animations are poor. It's just not convincing, half the time they don't even move their lips. Otherwise, good graphics and detailed environments.

Episode 1: 7/10
  • edited November 2011
    love the game. a little disappointed with the bump mapping but i love the game so far still on episode one got the game at seven didnt get to play till eight btw i also like the prologue although te first three times i screwed it up. thanks aain telltale
Sign in to comment in this discussion.