Why are people so harsh on yvette

Comments

• I'll stop using the sexism card when y'all stop being sexist.

Don't use the sexism card.

• edited October 2015

Maybe this and maybe that... speculation is all you've got there. But please tell me what good reason she has to lie to Vasquez at all? In episode 4 all she's concerned about is having Rhys' head intact so they can collect Jack to get the reward. Feel free to take another look at that.

We know Vaughn was telling the truth because nothing happened to us because of him! Plus, I'm pretty sure Yvette would have made some mention to any aid from Vaughn when she was explaining the deal in detail in episode 4, she only mentions a deal between herself and Vasquez. I don't believe Yvette because of the aforementioned 'spilling of the beans'.

Big shocker, Yvette doesn't try to kill her now pointless target. Jack was in control of the system already and Rhys was bringing the whole thing down, she's only sticking with Rhys at this point to hopefully save her own ass. I'd be a little more pleasant towards the guy who saved my butt and is being worshiped by large group of people and who is also nearly untouchable thanks to the company he keeps too. Simple survival, Yvette's happy to still be breathing and doesn't want to endanger herself again when there's nothing for her to gain from it.

Now you're just being completely absurd. So... just because Rhys can do bad things that makes this sexist? But wait! Fiona has the ability to kill plenty of male characters too and be a jerk to other female characters, does that make it sexist? No, please get off this false high horse you think you're riding.

Handsome Jack is everyone's favorite character? You're sure of this, like 100% sure? Took a vote among all the users and people who played the game? Because he's not my favorite character so I guess that blows out w/e point you're trying to make there too. Not mention, Jack has no gender since he's an AI, just data that you're trying to get upset about. Just because the real Jack was a male doesn't make his genocide sexist in any way, he's an equal-opportunist murderer.

chordati posted: »

* Maybe she was still lying about not caring because, oh I don't know, she thought she was still talking to Vasquez? * How do you know that

• I was pretty angry, but leaving someone to die, or purposely letting them die, is not who I am. I was willing to give Yvette a second chance, and it felt good to see her and Vaughn together helping during the fight against The Traveler.

• This isn't being sexist.

People defend Vaughn because he seemed genuine, and whether or not he showed his true colors, he was loyal to us in the end, as he 'saved' us from the stranger. However, we actually saw Yvette's true colors. For some people, they believed she was lying to Vasquez. To other people, they believed she was lying to Rhys (in the end she stayed loyal to Rhys if you saved her, which I did, as I believed she was genuine in her apology).

I'll stop using the sexism card when y'all stop being sexist.

• edited October 2015

That's pretty much my belief. (Other than Felix, which I'm going to change in my next play through)

fayescarlet posted: »

I was pretty angry, but leaving someone to die, or purposely letting them die, is not who I am. I was willing to give Yvette a second chance, and it felt good to see her and Vaughn together helping during the fight against The Traveler.

• Well I saved her, I wanted my Rhys to be the bigger person and not just let her die a cold death out in space lol.

• idk dude i just still feel like people would have been more forgiving of yvette if she wasn't a black woman............................. but obvis theres no way to test that so w/e at this point honestly

This isn't being sexist. People defend Vaughn because he seemed genuine, and whether or not he showed his true colors, he was loyal to us

• i just want everyone to know that i started this discussion b/c in my first playthrough i shocked yvette and then left her to die in the cell and i now feel like a TERRIBLE PERSON after playing through again and saving her and seeing her being all buddy with rhys and vaughn back on pandora :(((((((

• I left her there (not by choice) silent mode...

All she say was Rhys? Rhys!

Spetzio posted: »

She fairly ruthlessly betrayed Rhys and Vaughn. I left her to rot in her cell. Felt a little bad for a brief .5 seconds before she told me "

• Hmm...
    As I recall Vaughn changed his mind and didn't leak any info...

Yvette went all the way... to his location, drop troops and admits in the end depending what you say "..."

That she did it for the promotion and no where did she change her mind to loose that opportunity.

People just love to hate female characters for the same traits they love in male characters, it's that simple. (and just as you said, Vau

• Yeah, that's why more than half of players shot Felix or just let him die - because he was a black woman...

idk dude i just still feel like people would have been more forgiving of yvette if she wasn't a black woman............................. but obvis theres no way to test that so w/e at this point honestly

• What was Vaughn's good reason? Fact is he betrayed Rhys, in the exact same way Yvette did. Just cause he said "I was just leading him on" doesn't mean crap, he's a traitor. I didn't trust him the rest of the game, and unfortunately, there was never really any way for me to tell him to fuck off. At least with Yvette, I could throw her out an air lock.

She betrayed us. Atleast Vaughn had a good reason too while Yvette just did it to get higher on the hyperion ladder

• I saved everyone I could. I even tried to save Vasquez from Vallory by blaming Felix, but he was killed anyways. I almost left Yvette in the cell, and then I even contemplated dropping her in the engine room, but I let her live. The only one I really wanted to damage was Vaughn for betraying me, but he was the only one that I couldn't. He was supposed to be Rhys's bro, bro, and he was totally un-bro-like and betrayed his bro.

I also was a little pissed when she ended up with Vaughn at the end, and I didn't get to mention to either of them that both of them betrayed me at some point. I hold grudges, bro.

• You still hated Vaughn for pretending to take Vasquez's deal? Damn dude -_-

lateraliss posted: »

I saved everyone I could. I even tried to save Vasquez from Vallory by blaming Felix, but he was killed anyways. I almost left Yvette in the

• I take it you took him at his word that he was "pretending" to betray you... I have no reason to believe him. In fact I find it unlikely, and I didn't bro-fist him either.

Enigma12 posted: »

You still hated Vaughn for pretending to take Vasquez's deal? Damn dude -_-

• That's what Vaughn tells Rhys -- Yvette says the same thing to Rhys if given the chance (that she was just pretending to double cross him so they wouldn't hurt Rhys). If you believe one over the other, that's up to you, but their actions were the same.

Vaughn didn't sell out Rhys. He was planning on double-crossing Vasquez. Yvette, on the other hand, did sell them out, a fact made apparent by her partnership with Assquez.

• Vaughn in my opinion only did it because he was scared. He was abandoned on a hostile planet and he had no survival skills and he saw Vasquez as his way out

What was Vaughn's good reason? Fact is he betrayed Rhys, in the exact same way Yvette did. Just cause he said "I was just leading him on" do

• You have to play the rest of the game.

I take it you took him at his word that he was "pretending" to betray you... I have no reason to believe him. In fact I find it unlikely, and I didn't bro-fist him either.

• good point haha.

BipedalP posted: »

Yeah, that's why more than half of players shot Felix or just let him die - because he was a black woman...

• edited October 2015

In the end Yvette was Rhys' and Vaughn's friend, I don't think the right thing to do is let her rot in a Cell.

• edited October 2015

I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only one that was a bit weary of vaughn... I was really surprised and pissed of when I found out that vaughn had betrayed me. I didn't fist bump him and I kept thinking he would turn on me at any chance. His whole story seemed like bs to me. He could have told me at anytime that he made a deal with vasquez to keep him of our backs. He chose to keep it from me instead and only regretted it after he got caught. I did forgive him in the end though. He only did it, because he was stuck on a planet filled with murderers and he did regret it.

Yvette is a whole different story. She practically handed us to vasquez. That b**** had no problem letting us die. All she ever cared about was a promotion. She didn't even show any emotion when she found out rhys was dead. When she was in the cell i confronted her with her betrayal. I was hoping that she would explain herself, but she never did. I just walked away instead, not realizing that it would lead to her death. Still no regrets.

I did forgive Felix though. I gave him a chance to explain himself and I did believe him.
    I forgave everyone that betrayed me beside Yvette. All she had to do was explain herself or show a bit of humanity.

I saved everyone I could. I even tried to save Vasquez from Vallory by blaming Felix, but he was killed anyways. I almost left Yvette in the

• Where did she say she's pretending?

In my playthrough, she admits she's doing it on purpose and no mentions of pretends.

That's what Vaughn tells Rhys -- Yvette says the same thing to Rhys if given the chance (that she was just pretending to double cross him so

• I still think her 'explanation' when she sees you again is a lie to get you to help her. When you walk away she says "oh like you haven't killed someone for a promotion" or something, which to me, was her taking it back. Not to mention when talking to Vasquez she doesn't hint she wanted them alive at all, she was clear she did want their head and dint give a fuck they were her friends.

• her name has a "Y" at the beginning but is pronounced "E" i should have killed her for that, but i am the forgiving type

• I ended up saving her and dont regret it one bit.

• I saved her just because she might've been useful. Just like I pretended to "forgive" Vaughn. Let 'em think I "forgave them" when I'm actually just using them.

• I've already completed the game, the day episode 5 came out in fact. Vaughn could have mentioned that Vasquez made him a deal and he took it to deceive Vasquez and keep him off their trail if that was really his intention. Instead, he only admitted to it when being caught in it. I don't see why no one else realizes this. Sure, he feels bad afterwards and tries to make up for it, but he had every intention of betraying Rhys to Vasquez.

You have to play the rest of the game.

• I had the same thought. Why keep it a secret if that was his intention? It wouldn't have been important to keep that a secret unless he actually intended to follow through on the betrayal. I think people were hypnotized with Vaughn's abs or something and lost some of their critical thinking skills. The guy may have ended up feeling remorseful about it, but he intended to hand Rhys over to Vasquez.

rachida89 posted: »

I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only one that was a bit weary of vaughn... I was really surprised and pissed of when I found out that vaug

• Same. I never trusted either of them, and I'm sure Vaughn was penciled in to betray you or be the stranger at some stage in development. Keep them both happy and they may be useful later!

I saved her just because she might've been useful. Just like I pretended to "forgive" Vaughn. Let 'em think I "forgave them" when I'm actually just using them.

• Can you snap her neck ?

Demown posted: »

You can still free her if you pick "Help me and i'll let you out"

• No matter what she is Rhys and Vaughn's friend so I reasoned with her and I saved her.

But to be honest I don't really care about her character. I don't dislike her, she is just 'meh' for me.

• I did shock her. I did leave her in the cell. Maybe a bit harsh... but I was really looking forward to her character coming back into it and seeing what she'd add to the dynamic of the team and stuff, but NO. I get back and find out she'd betrayed us. She was not allowed to partake on my adventure. She let me down... she let us all down.

• Vaughn apologized and pleaded for forgiveness, and had time to redeem himself over the course of episodes 3-5. But in the playthrough I watched, Yvette remained utterly unrepentant despite Rhys' reveal.

* Maybe she was still lying about not caring because, oh I don't know, she thought she was still talking to Vasquez? * How do you know that

• Come on, people comparing Yvette to Vaughn? HAHAHAHAHA

I highly recommend some of you guys to replay episode 4 and choose different dialogue options with Yvette. You'll see then why people are being harsh against on that damn traitor.

• I had dumpy shock her after revealing that I was Rhys the first time, but after I got double crossed by Jack I decided to save her. My reasoning being that she and Rhys had both done bad things (The mine deal?) trying to advance their careers so I might as well give her another chance. There was also the whole , "The guy I thought of as a hero just tried to kill me and now I don't want to be anything like that jerk" thing too.

• I have no reason to hate her. I honestly believed her when she told Rhys that she did it to keep him and Vaughn safe. Whether or not this is the truth, I have no idea. Personally, I tried talking her down, but ended up stunning her. I didn't leave her to die and let her take the escape pod before me.

• edited October 2015

Yvette is a traitor, so I left her rotting in the cell. She is lying when she says she tried to keep you alive

• I like your explanation best, bruh.

I had dumpy shock her after revealing that I was Rhys the first time, but after I got double crossed by Jack I decided to save her. My reaso

• The only real difference is Vaughn's betrayal was offscreen and his apology and character development were onscreen.

Given they worked for a company where corporate murder was pretty common and Yvette had warned them she was being tracked and had been goaded into participating in the first place, I don't think her actions were any grayer. Especially compared to some choices you could make as Rhys.

I do think the difference is she never got a chance to be a character in her own right. You never get to really break character and have the one on one you get with Vaughn. Any attempt to do so results in the conversation stopping abruptly.

Gilgernaut posted: »

Come on, people comparing Yvette to Vaughn? HAHAHAHAHA I highly recommend some of you guys to replay episode 4 and choose different dialogue options with Yvette. You'll see then why people are being harsh against on that damn traitor.

• edited November 2015

I don't think Yvette was any different. Vasquez was looking to hold at least one of them responsible for the loss of the money, she was the only one still on Helios and the one whose name was on all the false requisitions (including the theft of the car)

Vaughn in my opinion only did it because he was scared. He was abandoned on a hostile planet and he had no survival skills and he saw Vasquez as his way out

Sign in to comment in this discussion.