Episode 2 Horrible S-sound quality why? [re-download for higher quality voice!]

Comments

• edited August 2009
    moralkaan, don't be an idiot. Telltale are a great company. To be a successful company you must keep your customers happy, produce products people want to buy, and keep costs down. Yes, this sound problem is significant and should have been resolved ages ago, but Telltale do care about their games and the licenses they're based on. To accuse them of being money-grabbing profiteers is just stupid.
  • edited August 2009
    Maybe we should start a petition? A single thread asking TTG to fix the problem and allow larger downloads, where people would just write a word "second the petition"? If we get at least a hundred voices they won't be able to ignore us. (Well, they might, but the silence would tell us everything we would need to know)
  • BasBas
    edited August 2009
    Agreed, as much as I hate valiant fanboy defenders, accusing Telltale of moneygrabbing and delivering a shoddy product that'll sell on the name alone is absolutely nonsensical, and detrimental against getting someone from Telltale to seriously address this issue other than "It just compresses badly." I mean, I wouldn't want to seriously address the complaints of a bunch of overreacting whingers who accused me of moneygrabbing either. Also, calling the fix 'simple' and suggesting that it'll only take "30mb more" to get great sound is a nonsensical claim to make unless you're working AT Telltale and are aware of the whole sound process there.

Nonetheless, I think the fact that this thread is already on page 9 and nearly all the posts are from people who are also unhappy with it warrants some further attention from TTG. Of course, it already did 3 years ago when Sam & Max came out, but...
  • edited August 2009
    Arwald wrote: »
    Maybe we should start a petition? A single thread asking TTG to fix the problem and allow larger downloads, where people would just write a word "second the petition"? If we get at least a hundred voices they won't be able to ignore us. (Well, they might, but the silence would tell us everything we would need to know)

We already have a petition thread that saw the light of day when Screaming Narwhal was released.
    Though its one of the most popular threads on the 'ToMI General Discussion' Forum, Telltale have completely ignored it officially.

When I first created that thread, 60% of the replies were pro- less compression, and 40% were like "stop complaining and be happy".
    After the release of episode 2, the pro- less compression people went more in the heights of 90% of the replies. Now, I'm no professor in mathematics, but I believe that this is saying something.
  • edited August 2009
    moralkaan, don't be an idiot. Telltale are a great company. To be a successful company you must keep your customers happy,

Well, I'm not happy since Sam and Max and I dont think that Telltale is a good company. With the first episode of Monkey Island, I though Telltale really made it this time, but with the second episode they done it again. They again successfully killed a game...
  • edited August 2009
    moralkaan wrote: »
    Well, I'm not happy since Sam and Max and I dont think that Telltale is a good company. With the first episode of Monkey Island, I though Telltale really made it this time, but with the second episode they done it again. They again successfully killed a game...

Thats taking it a little too far, don't you think? :)
  • edited August 2009
    That's a shame, but they did try and most people thought they did a pretty good job with their licenses. It's unfortunate you don't agree. I suggest you stop buying their games.
  • edited August 2009
    Thats taking it a little too far, don't you think?

Not for me. Monkey Island has a very special place to me.
    That's a shame, but they did try and most people thought they did a pretty good job with their licenses. It's unfortunate you don't agree. I suggest you stop buying their games.

Yes i thnik thats the best to do...
  • edited August 2009
    It's pretty bad when people say to rush through that one part where the sound is extremely bad, but rest of the episode is "passable". Such a high quality game shouldn't have "passable" sound quality especially when they have the possibility to offer the great sound quality. Sorry to say but it's a bit hard to enjoy a game that has pretty much two things going on (talking to characters and solving puzzles) and one of them is screwed over in favor of slightly smaller download size.

Such a fan of the series and I think these Telltale episodes are up there with the best Monkey Island games but why do you ruin the experience with the voice quality? I just can't understand the reasons behind this.

edit: And just wanted to add, I barely noticed the sound quality with my Logitech 5500 speakers but it's obvious and very distracting with any decent headphones.
  • edited August 2009
    Is Telltale even listening to us. I can't imagine this issue can be that difficult to patch...
  • edited August 2009
    Is Telltale even listening to us. I can't imagine this issue can be that difficult to patch...

As Will (I think it was Will...) explained in another thread, a patch is out of the question, realistically. It would involve them sitting down and going through the whole of episode 2 again, line by line.

So as unpleasant as Chapter 2 was to play through, (and based largely on guesswork thanks to a complete lack of input from TT) I would say that's how it's staying. What this thread has hopefully done is make TT realise that not only is this state of affairs not acceptable in future projects, but also that their customers aren't the tone deaf plonkers they took us for. :p
  • BasBas
    edited August 2009
    What, they didn't keep the master voice recordings?
  • edited August 2009
    As Will (I think it was Will...) explained in another thread, a patch is out of the question, realistically. It would involve them sitting down and going through the whole of episode 2 again, line by line.
    Jake has said that that wouldn't be necessary from SBCG4AP onwards:
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=90226&postcount=33
  • edited August 2009
    Ah, right. Then there really is no excuse. :(
  • edited August 2009
    Well, as far as I understand, TTG is planning to continue supplying a product unsuitable for my ears. I decided I will never ever buy a TellTale game.

As far as my experience goes with running a company and satisfying consumer demands - as far as clients are displeased but continue consuming the product the situation is satisfactory (or actually, even above satisfactory, it's worse when a product is good, but doesn't sell).

It's normal, it's business. If you think it isn't all about the money, think again.

Duping the client is ok, as long as he does nothing about it. I used this knowledge myself too often, not to realise when the same thing is being done to me. There's a good trader's saying: there always a fool in the market. if you don't know, who the fool is, it is most likely to be YOU.
  • BasBas
    edited August 2009
    Ah, right. Then there really is no excuse. :(

Well, except of course that they still have to re-playtest every single line of dialog. I think that's a pretty good excuse. Playtesting isn't cheap.

Dropping new audio in the DVD probably won't happen, but I still have hopes for Episode 3 at least being on the same level as Episode 1. The sound was fine there, for me.
  • edited August 2009
    Bas wrote: »
    Well, except of course that they still have to re-playtest every single line of dialog. I think that's a pretty good excuse. Playtesting isn't cheap.

Dropping new audio in the DVD probably won't happen, but I still have hopes for Episode 3 at least being on the same level as Episode 1. The sound was fine there, for me.

If you knew how to solve the puzzles, you could speed-run Chapter 2 in under an hour and make sure all the audio sounded OK. I can't imagine the audio in question sounds that different outside the game than in the game, so really its just the handful of lines that take place on Spinner Cay.
  • BasBas
    edited August 2009
    If you knew how to solve the puzzles, you could speed-run Chapter 2 in under an hour and make sure all the audio sounded OK.

No. That's not how playtesting works.
  • joeldeejoeldee Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2009
    Hi all,

The team's just uploaded an updated version of Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 2.

Those that have experienced audio issues will find improvements here.

You can get it from the same location:

http://www.telltalegames.com/download/siegeofspinnercay

This is replacing the prior version and becomes the standard game download version going forward.

Best,

- Joel, Telltale
  • edited August 2009
    Fan-fricking-tastic!

Thankyou Telltale!
  • BasBas
    edited August 2009
    Absolutely awesome.
  • edited August 2009
    Great news!
    I won't be able to check it for 12 more hours ((
    Can anyone say, whether it worked?
  • edited August 2009
    Arwald wrote: »
    Great news!
    I won't be able to check it for 12 more hours ((
    Can anyone say, whether it worked?

Downloading now, I'll tell you in two minutes. =)
  • edited August 2009
    Yep, works like a charm. You can even install it straight over your existing installation and keep your save games.

I haven't tried the royal chamber, because my save game was past that point, but the merfolk are immediately and noticeably cured of the ear piercing affliction. :)
  • edited August 2009
    It works really good, the bad sound is gone now. Thanks for proving I was wrong about you Telltale.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    I haven't tried the royal chamber, because my save game was past that point, but the merfolk are immediately and noticeably cured of the ear piercing affliction. :)

Here's a save game of the beginning at the royal chamber.
  • edited August 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Here's a save game of the beginning at the royal chamber.

Well, it's not like it is that difficult to get to the royal chamber...maybe 3-4 minutes worth of playing? ))
  • edited August 2009
    I still used the save game anyway. =P

Yeah, Elaine's voice is much better now. As with the first chapter, it's still not what I would call good sound quality, but it's certainly no longer detrimental to my enjoyment of the game.

I'm guessing it was something as simple as a cock up with the files, PC users getting the Wii voices by mistake.
  • edited August 2009
    Does anyone know what has been fixed in this version?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    jondm1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what has been fixed in this version?

Looks like the voices are significantly less compressed

2_MonkeyIsland102_pc_voice.ttarch
    old: 15.890.492 Bytes
    new: 45.189.529 Bytes

Further this bug is gone for me.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2009

Oh awesome. I was actually wondering about that.
  • edited August 2009
    Yeah - comparing the files suggests only the voices ttarch file has changed. I've tried a few of the 'bugs' out and they are still present.
  • edited August 2009
    So glad I stumbled on this topic! The static in Elaine's voice was extremely noticable to me, to the point where I actually had to stop playing for a bit because it was starting to get on my nerves (and I am not usually one to be bothered by this sort of thing). I did of course power through it later, but it still really bothered me. Glad to see the issue is fixed! I'll have to redownload this tonight :D
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Will wrote: »
    Oh awesome. I was actually wondering about that.

If you know the reason you could check "Wallace and Gromit - The Last Resort" for it. Besides me i only found two people who posted about it though.
  • edited August 2009

Excellent, does this mean further chapters of the game will have less compressed voices too?
  • edited August 2009
    Kraken wrote: »
    Excellent, does this mean further chapters of the game will have less compressed voices too?

Geeze, I would imagine so. I doubt anyone wants to go through this drama again!
  • edited August 2009
    Will this new version also make it onto steam ? :)

Cant wait to try it out.
  • edited August 2009
    I just finished this episode and I was going to say that my only gripe was the sound. However, this update has fixed that issue! Thank you for listening to the fans!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2009
    RMJ1984 wrote: »
    Will this new version also make it onto steam ? :)

Cant wait to try it out.

I believe if you restart steam it should update. If not now, then sometime tomorrow, as I'm pretty sure we've sent them a new build.
  • edited August 2009
    so for the steam re download do i have to un install? the re install?
This discussion has been closed.