The Devil's Playhouse Speculation Thread

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Something else to realize: in the trailer the narrator is standing in front of a different toy each time we see him. This gives us a good shot at five of them.
    2igyk35.png
    The gameplay vid showed that the goggle-like things are precognition. With that eliminated, the telephone must be teleportation. No idea about the rest.
  • edited March 2010
    I think
    rhinoplasty is shapeshifting. A dangerous tool in Max's hands.
  • edited March 2010
    Harald B wrote: »
    2igyk35.png

By the way, here's our puppet president
  • edited March 2010
    OMA wrote: »
    BTW, fifth chapter has the caption "Finale" instead of "August". Does that mean that they'll take a break there and release the final episode in like September, leaving two months between episodes 4 and 5?
    ToMI had this problem, where episodes were released in July, August, September, October, and December -- Chapter 4 was released on October 30, and Chapter 5 came out on December 8. Technically, there was no episode in November, but we didn't have to wait two full months between releases.
  • edited March 2010
    Something else to realize: in the trailer the narrator is standing in front of a different toy each time we see him. This gives us a good shot at five of them.
    2igyk35.png
    The gameplay vid showed that the goggle-like things are precognition. With that eliminated, the telephone must be teleportation. No idea about the rest.

For what I can guess:

-Goggles = Precognition
    -Puppet = Mind Control
    -Rhinoplasty = Shapeshifting
    -Phone = teleportation
    -Cards = ??????
  • edited March 2010

Goggle like? That's a View Master! (I remember the name =P)
  • edited March 2010
    On a hunch, I'd say the cards are the mind-reading enabler. ("Pick a card, any card!")
    GinnyN wrote: »
    Goggle like? That's a View Master! (I remember the name =P)

Indeed. And don't any of you here forget it! ;P
  • edited March 2010
    Must get when I have the cash!
  • edited March 2010
    The cards make me think of Gambit, but it might just be me.
  • edited March 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    The cards make me think of Gambit, but it might just be me.

I think the same. But I don't get how that can be related to physic powers. Maybe I'll do a wiki attack when I were at home.
  • edited March 2010
    Well, Gambit can make matter explode, but Max being able to do that is a very scary thought.
  • edited March 2010
    Max doing anything is a very scary thought.
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah, Flint's in the trailer (albeit a quick shot) and
    Superball is in the gameplay video

Another thing I notice in the trailer is the continuous appearance of BoscoTech Labs. I think the voice actors might have been sworn to secrecy on their roles.
  • edited March 2010
    Do we know anything about the guy between him and Skun-ka'pe? Seems to be dressed like Professor Layton.

Looks like Santa in a suit to me
  • edited March 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    Anyway, the only thing I get it in the Trailer was the fact Sam was scared while they were walking in the weird hallway. Far I remember "They were too ignorant to be afraid", so maybe, Sam knows something about what's going on here? (Or maybe is a clone =P).
    They also look frightened when they approach the spaceship in the demo. Maybe they're freaked out because they saw it in their vision? I thought it was a bit uncharacteristic.
  • edited March 2010
    Don't know if anyone else noticed... in the picture that shows off the Mass Effect-esque dialogue option, the cashier says 25.05... The 25th of May is a Tuesday.

Possible release for Episode 2? :P
  • edited March 2010
    Zonino wrote: »
    Don't know if anyone else noticed... in the picture that shows off the Mass Effect-esque dialogue option, the cashier says 25.05... The 25th of May is a Tuesday.

Possible release for Episode 2? :P

Thursday releases due to PSN methinks.

Anywho, from FAQ:
    Sam and Max face a mysterious otherworldly power for controlling matter and space that calls to the strongest and strangest who might wield it - intergalactic warlords and eldritch gods, under-dwellers and scholars of the arcane. It's Sam's and Max's biggest case yet.

Warlord- Skunkape (Episode One)
    God - Papier (Episode Two)
    Underdweller - Sal (Episode Three)
    Scholar of Arcane - ? (Episode Four?)
  • edited March 2010
    The 15th of April is not a Tuesday.
  • edited March 2010
    Oh phooey neither it is.

What sort of day is Thursday to release a game anyway?!
  • edited March 2010
    Scholar of Arcane - ? (Episode Four?)

I call vampire zombie Brady Culture....Heard it here first.
  • edited March 2010
    JJoyce wrote: »
    I call vampire zombie gender bent Brady Culture....Heard it here first.
    That's what you meant to say, isn't it?

And the deck of cards is definitely mind reading. Turns out Harry's favourite colour is taupe.
  • edited March 2010
    I think grammatically it would be gender-bent vampire zombie Brady Culture, but point taken.

Either that or the off-spring of some weird breeding program involving Brady Culture and Jurgen.

But the vampire zombie's cooler, so I'll go with that, gender-bent or just cross-dressing.
  • edited March 2010
    Can anyone tell me why the kid from Psychonauts is in the villian's line up?
  • edited March 2010
    He's not. They look nothing alike except in silhouette.

Did anybody actually say it was a villain lineup? Harry's not a villain, except for that one time.
  • edited March 2010
    and I don't think Grandpa Stinky is a villain.
    I am pretty sure that Girl Stinky is from the videos I've seen though
  • edited March 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »
    He's not. They look nothing alike except in silhouette.

Did anybody actually say it was a villain lineup? Harry's not a villain, except for that one time.

He says something like 'a cast of rogues from across the universe'
  • edited March 2010
    Remolay wrote: »
    She doesn't give them away when they get out of the cage, though.
  • edited March 2010
    Remolay wrote: »

Remember Grandpa Stinky is a
    Black Magician
    , so, probably he need Max's Brain for something. Maybe. Appart, he hates everything and probably he hates Sam and Max over everything.
  • edited March 2010
    My guess is that Hell has been taken over by the narrator guy (corporate takeover from Satan :p) and that's why he has Brady Culture on his side. Afterall he does say "Welcome to my playhouse" or something similiar and it is the Devil's playhouse

...or am I really behind and everyone's gonna go. Duh!
  • edited March 2010
    It's not Brady Culture.
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah, I also doubt it's Brady Culture. Mainly because he wasn't a very popular character and also I'm lead to believe that The Devils Playhouse will have few references to previous seasons.
  • edited March 2010
    Linking to Harald B's earlier post because I think some people missed it.

If you look at the giant version, you can see that the edges of the afro looking thing look like molded plastic, which is what makes me think it's a helmet.
  • edited March 2010
    It's not Brady Culture.

Of course it's not Brady Culture.

It's vampire zombie Brady Culture. :D

EDIT:

Ok, after seeing the enhanced shot, I guess I'm back to the product of an unspeakable genetic experiment involving splicing Brady Culture's DNA with Jurgen. But that wasn't horrific enough, so they added a dash of Hugh Bliss too.
  • edited March 2010
    Linking to Harald B's earlier post because I think some people missed it.

If you look at the giant version, you can see that the edges of the afro looking thing look like molded plastic, which is what makes me think it's a helmet.

I did miss it.
    The guy in the top hat looks like Monopoly Guy now.
  • edited March 2010
    I did miss it.

Is it weird I believe that would be the best villain ever?

'You'll never catch me, Sam and Max! *throws money* *gets in monopoly car and drives away*'
  • edited March 2010
    That's not weird, it's perfectly normal. That would be the best villain ever.

So here are the characters other than Sam and Max that we know are returning:
    Flint Paper
    Mama Bosco (didn't she die?)
    Both Stinkys
    Harry Moleman
    Superball
    The COPS (Didn't see Bluster Blaster, but there's an option about him when you talk to them)
    The boxes piled up in front of Bosco's belong to Sybil

Anyone I missed?
  • edited March 2010
    I did miss it.

Maybe Monopoly Guy if he had a knife.

Maybe it's just the shading and it's nothing more than the edge of his hand, but it looks suspiciously like the dude has a butcher knife in his right hand.
  • edited March 2010
    Wait I'm confused... How do you people know that the bugs name is "Sal" and the gorilla thing is "Skun - kape"? I dont remember them from any other sam and max thing. Also how do you know about the opening cutscene and stuff. I must know!

I didnt see Bosco.
    What. The. Hell.
    He was definetly one of my favorite charecters.
  • edited March 2010
    Wait I'm confused... How do you people know that the bugs name is "Sal" and the gorilla thing is "Skun - kape"? I dont remember them from any other sam and max thing. Also how do you know about the opening cutscene and stuff. I must know!

I didnt see Bosco.
    What. The. Hell.

The Skunkape thing is in the official trailer on the site.

The opening cutscene and more can be found here if you're willing to tolerate spoilers.
  • edited March 2010

Skunka pe appears in the first hints for season 3. First in a Newsletter. Sal's name comes from his tag. Appart, he was the cook at Stinky's in the second season, but we never see him before
    I didnt see Bosco.
    What. The. Hell.

No idea. But, only Telltale knows
Sign in to comment in this discussion.