The Devil's Playhouse Speculation Thread

edited May 2010 in Sam & Max
So! With the deluge of information that came about today, there's tons of stuff to speculate about in regards to the new season.

On thing that really piqued my interest was that shot of the game's main villains.

ndalg8.jpg

Obviously in the middle is General Skunkape, and next to him is the insect man/thing that was seen in the trailer. To the right of Skunkape is a small man wearing what I assume to be a tophat. No idea who he could be. Next to him looks like what could possibly Brady Culture due to the afro and the prominent nose.

Next to him, is what appears to be Stinky of all people! And even more interesting is that next to him there appear to be four figures that look remarkably like Sam! And then, there's the two giant pillars in the background, that upon closer inspection, appear to resemble Max's legs! There also seem to be 3 different versions of molepeople to the left of the smaller figure next to insect man!

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Not to mention the apparent Sam clones on the right. Yowzah!

Glad to see a thread like this up already! I'll try to come back with more coherent thoughts once I've had time to mull over all these new details. Now, let's see ...
  • edited March 2010
    Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, it looks like BOTH Stinkys are in that picture!
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah, I can see girl Stinky on the left and old Stinky on the right (ours).
  • edited March 2010
    Detective wrote: »
    And then, there's the two giant pillars in the background, that upon closer inspection, appear to resemble Max's legs!
    The 50-feet tall lagomorph. The growth formula seems to be working.
  • edited March 2010
    The figure nearby the Sam clones, just behind the first one..looks like a girl. At first, I thought of Sybil, but she seems to be wearing a skirt, and Sybil wears pants..

New females are always good anyways c8
  • edited March 2010
    That's a nice lookin' frame there. Is it oak, you think?
  • edited March 2010
    You should ask Superball. His experience with doors give him that kind of knowledge.
  • edited March 2010
    Too bad he's not going to be in this season, as revealed in the Peter Barto interview which was totally serious and definitely one million percent factually true. I'm going to miss seeing Superball and Flint Paper ... :(
  • edited March 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    Too bad he's not going to be in this season, as revealed in the Peter Barto interview which was totally serious and definitely one million percent factually true. I'm going to miss seeing Superball and Flint Paper ... :(

Flint is listed as one of the characters that appear in this season. Just saying.
  • edited March 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    Flint is listed as one of the characters that appear in this season. Just saying.

Yeah, Flint's in the trailer (albeit a quick shot) and
    Superball is in the gameplay video
  • edited March 2010
    In the trailer Flint Paper has no voice. Presumably they haven't done his voice yet and so Peter Barto is honestly in the dark. That also means that Flint is unlikely to be in Episode 1 though.
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah, Flint's in the trailer (albeit a quick shot) and
    Superball is in the gameplay video

Use spoiler tags! Some people like me are avoiding stuff (except for watching the first cutscene).
  • edited March 2010
    Kroms wrote: »
    Use spoiler tags! Some people like me are avoiding stuff (except for watching the first cutscene).

Sorry. How do you do the spoiler tags again? I keep forgetting what amount of commas and /s I have to use.
  • edited March 2010
    [ spoiler] spoilerish thingie[/spoiler ]

(without the spaces)
  • edited March 2010
    Nobody forget Telltale VIP! The site has the usual assortment of really awesome screenshots and concept art that I'm not seeing on Telltale's Devil's Playhouse page or the annoucement blog post.
  • edited March 2010
    I guess Sal the giant roach is a security guard at the crazy dragon skeleton museum.
  • edited March 2010
    I notice that the picture for episode four in the trailer has a freaked out Sam who isn't wearing a hat or a shirt. The first three depict characters from the character lineup. Maybe that's one of the dogs? They don't appear to be wearing clothes either. And the episode is called Beyond The Alley of the Dolls...Hmm.

Also, I think the brain is secretly evil. Just a feeling, so it's probably wrong.

I also have the feeling that Skun-ka'pe brainwashed Stinky or something.
  • edited March 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »
    I notice that the picture for episode four in the trailer has a freaked out Sam who isn't wearing a hat or a shirt. The first three depict characters from the villain picture. Maybe that's one of the dogs? They don't appear to be wearing clothes either. And the episode is called Beyond The Alley of the Dolls...Hmm.
    I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that they're clones.
  • edited March 2010
    I'm aware of that.

There's a better picture of the character lineup in the VIP area. You need Photoshop or GIMP to open it, though.

The person with the afro has red eyes. I think their hair is smoother than Brady's. I think I can also see fangs, but I may be imagining it. But I don't think it's Brady Culture.
  • edited March 2010
    So, let's do the math!

First episode - 96670672.png Skunkape appears to be main villain
    Second episode - 13769816.png Papier Waite (http://vip.telltalegames.com/files/thedevilsplayhouse/concepts031010/sm301_papierwaite.jpg)
    Third episode - 62863527.png Sal. Stinkys, perhaps? (I really like the name of this one. THEY STOLE MAX'S BRAIN!)
    Fourth episode - 76823365.pngSomeone does cloning. Icon shows stupid Sam.
    Fifth - 11861529.pngI have no idea whatsoever. You meet Narrarator and fight at end I bet.
  • edited March 2010
    Fifth - 11861529.pngI have no idea whatsoever. You meet Narrarator and fight at end I bet.

A Lovecraftian Eldritch abomination?
  • edited March 2010
    Well, if you increase the gamma of that image, the characters become rather clear. The lineup is as follows:
    - Two molemen with brownish robes. The robes have a yellow :) smiley symbol;
    - Another moleman with a hardhat and white shirt (likely Harry);
    - A doll-faced kid of unknown gender wearing strange headgear and suspenders;
    - Stinky in her waitress uniform;
    - Sal, the security guard giant roach;
    - The guy with the Fez, in a white suit;
    - Skunkape;
    - Huge-headed short guy with big white mustaches and tophat;
    - Female(?) Hugh Bliss with red eyes dressed as a mariachi. Another sentient bacteria?
    - Grandpa Stinky;
    - Incredibly ugly and deformed male in a vest and hat;
    - 4 Sams in underwear;
    - Giant Max;
  • edited March 2010
    in the bigger one I see Girl Stinky and a Soda Popper. Q: How the heck would the soda poppers be able to come back?
  • edited March 2010
    Nope, I don't see any Soda Poppers.
  • edited March 2010
    A Lovecraftian Eldritch abomination?

Tentacle monster!

Here's what the lineup looks like to me. Spadge got in first while I was writing this but I'll post this anyway because I said some different things.

From left to right:
    A moleman with pigtails and a retainer. Female, I guess. Wearing a robe with a smilely face that's cut off at the knees.

A moleman wearing a round hat and a full length robe with a smilely face. Cult members?

A moleman wearing a shirt with a nametag, boots, and a hardhat. I think it's Harry.

A child or short adult wearing suspenders and maybe one of those hats with the flatps and goggles. Reminds me of a doll.

Girl Stinky.

Sal. His nametag is even readable.

A black and white man. A little transparent, maybe he's a ghost?

Skun-ka'pe.

A short man with a grey moustache and a top hat. Also transparent.

I can definitely see fangs, and the thing on the head is definitely not hair. Looks like a vampire wearing a helmet, and the legs make me think it's a woman. Definitely not Brady, unless he's in heavy disguise. Doesn't look like Hugh Bliss, either.

Grandpa Stinky.

A short man with a long neck, high cheekbones, a red nose and huge ears. It's a freakishly long neck. It's disturbing.

Four characters who look exactly like Sam and are wearing nothing but loincloths. They have belly buttons so they can't be clones. Hah. No, I'm joking, that wouldn't prevent them for being clones at all. In fact I hope they are.

I agree that the pillars are probably Max's legs. They're the right shape and height in proportion to the feet.
  • edited March 2010
    I like the Papier Waite (http://vip.telltalegames.com/files/t...apierwaite.jpg) guy but with this nose... If he ever gets a cold he better wears a swimsuit, raincoat or some sort of latexsuit he can use somewhere else as well.

Oh and of course the tentacle lifeform is very interesting.

The ape looks odd to me, nah, i prefer living in another solar system instead *eating a banana*.
  • edited March 2010
    Papier Waite is seen behind the narrator dressed as a pharaon standing on top of the devil's Toybox (the box with the smiley logo) and being worshiped by molemen. Interesting.
  • edited March 2010
    So... Sam is standing in a ghostly frying pan when Max uses his future vision. Why is that? I don't think it signifies what you can use it on. That's probably the sparkles.
  • OMAOMA
    edited March 2010
    BTW, fifth chapter has the caption "Finale" instead of "August". Does that mean that they'll take a break there and release the final episode in like September, leaving two months between episodes 4 and 5?
  • edited March 2010
    Whoa! I love been in the beggining =P.

Anyway, the only thing I get it in the Trailer was the fact Sam was scared while they were walking in the weird hallway. Far I remember "They were too ignorant to be afraid", so maybe, Sam knows something about what's going on here? (Or maybe is a clone =P).
    OMA wrote: »
    BTW, fifth chapter has the caption "Finale" instead of "August". Does that mean that they'll take a break there and release the final episode in like September, leaving two months between episodes 4 and 5?

Probably is because they don't want to make any promises. But, if its released September 8, I'll not complain ^^!
  • edited March 2010
    I've taken the liberty of hideously overexposing the character lineup. This should help greatly.
    wlcgzm.png
    Giant-size here: http://i42.tinypic.com/2wecbrq.png
  • edited March 2010
    *gasp* It's Jurgen! With an afro? Perhaps Jurgen, Culture and Hugh Bliss were rolled into one person?
  • edited March 2010
    Do we know anything about the guy between him and Skun-ka'pe? Seems to be dressed like Professor Layton.
  • edited March 2010
    Spadge wrote: »
    Nope, I don't see any Soda Poppers.

Ha, I hope to never see another Soda Popper again :D.
  • edited March 2010
    Harald B wrote: »
    Do we know anything about the guy between him and Skun-ka'pe? Seems to be dressed like Professor Layton.

He remain me the mascot of the Monopoly Board Games.

I was wondering about the guy who's between Grampa Stinky and Sam's Clones: It's just my idea or his neck is really long?
  • edited March 2010
    His neck is a bit longer than normal, but mostly it looks weird because the neck is absurdly thin and the head is huge.
    edit:hm, that head looks a lot like the puppet president.
  • edited March 2010
    Now that I look more closely, it looks like Jurgen from the past. Flashback?
  • edited March 2010
    I think the person in the lineup is too tall to be Jurgen. How about Ms Bosco?
  • edited March 2010
    Man this game has got me so pumped!! I can't wait until it comes out! As for the 'rouges gallery' I'm interested in all of them but I'm really curious about the little person between the molemen and Girl Stinky. I wonder what her/his role is. I also think that despite all of the images and videos I've seen I still can't get a good grasp at the basic plot, which I think is a huge imporvement from previous seasons which followed a fairly conventional story-line. Any way, long story short I can't wait to order this game!! :D
  • edited March 2010
    Harald B wrote: »
    His neck is a bit longer than normal, but mostly it looks weird because the neck is absurdly thin and the head is huge.
    edit:hm, that head looks a lot like the puppet president.

I have to watch the Big version to figure out what are you telling me. Yes, looks like the Puppet President, but also looks like it has a clown makeup.

The Jurgen-Bliss-Brady combination looks like a woman to me :P
Sign in to comment in this discussion.