Ep 1 graphics/framerate on Mac?

Comments

• edited April 2010
    teflon wrote: »
    I've got a little work around which often does the trick.
    I can't play above graphics level 6, but any resolution I want (my max is 1920x1200 on my 24" external, and my MBP is 2.4Ghz with the 8600M GT) is fine.

If I encounter this kind of stuttering, the worst places being the main street and outside Momma Bosco's, I switch to windowed mode, which usually gets rid of the stutter, and then I can switch back to full screen.
    Often, it wouldn't affect me again during that play session, but if it did, switching in and out of windowed mode usually did the trick.

It's a work around, but does seem to imply that this should be a fairly simple bug to fix.
    Won't help with graphics 7-9, though...

This worked for me during the intermittent times that frame rate drops happened in Tales of Monkey Island but that workaround doesn't do anything for me now. :(

I'd love, at the least, a "Hey, we are looking into it." post. Or any update at all on about what is going on.
  • school wrote: »
    I'd love, at the least, a "Hey, we are looking into it." post. Or any update at all on about what is going on.

Same.
  • edited April 2010
    school wrote: »

Will asked people experiencing problems to post their hardware info, so you can be pretty sure they're looking into it. These things take time.
  • edited April 2010
    Erwin wrote: »
    Will asked people experiencing problems to post their hardware info, so you can be pretty sure they're looking into it. These things take time.

I know, I would just prefer a firsthand response rather than just assuming it is being worked on. Any little bit somewhat helps to ease the wait and, well, frustration.
  • edited April 2010
    I'm also having framerate issues. I'm using the latest MacBook Pro with Core i7. I don't have a Windows licence so I can't try it with Boot Camp. I guess it should work fine in 1920x1200 on quality 9. It works a little better in a lower resolution, but still having pretty low framerate. Monkey Island works fine in the same resolution and quality settings.

Lowering the quality doesn't seem to make any bigger difference at all. :/
  • edited April 2010
    Frame rate is definitely a problem for me. Glad I'm not the only one, but worried that is quite widespread it could take a while for TTG to resolve.

Running Mac OS X 10.5.8, and trying to play ToMI episode 1.

When I start playing a new game, after the black loading screen with the skull and crossbones comes up, the video plays and this is the problem. The video and the music stop for 2 seconds before playing the next frame.

I've lost patience every time I have to watch the New Game video I haven't got around to playing the game itself as it takes over 20 minutes to get to the bit where you see the enchanted sword recipe nailed to the mast. Also, I cannot see the characters.

I put the video quality down to 1 on the settings and have changed the resolution to 1280x800 to match my screen.

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
    SMC Version (system): 1.17f0

Intel GMA 950:
    Chipset Model: GMA 950
    Type: Display
    Bus: Built-In
    VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory
    Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
    Device ID: 0x27a2
    Revision ID: 0x0003
    Displays:
    Color LCD:
    Resolution: 1280 x 800
    Depth: 32-Bit Color
    Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Quartz Extreme: Supported
    Built-In: Yes
    Display Connector:
  • edited April 2010
    The same happens on my brand new i7 MacBook Pro. I've tried to play the game on an external monitor with 1920x1200 and max. quality settings.

At first the game runs like a charm but changing into a different scene slows down the game speed. This will go on to the extent that the game cannot be played at all. Even saving the game becomes an annoying task then since the engine is responding so slow.

I really hope you can fix this soon ... I'm almost at a point where I consider trying wine to run the game :eek:

Modellname: MacBook Pro
    Modell-Identifizierung: MacBookPro6,2
    Prozessortyp: Intel Core i7
    Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 2,66 GHz
    Anzahl der Prozessoren: 1
    Gesamtzahl der Kerne: 2
    L2-Cache (pro Kern): 256 KB
    L3-Cache: 4 MB
    Speicher: 4 GB
    Geschwindigkeit für Prozessorverbindungstyp: 4.8 GT/s
    Boot-ROM-Version: MBP61.0057.B00
    SMC-Version (System): 1.58f15

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M:

Chipsatz-Modell: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
    Typ: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe-Lane-Breite: x16
    VRAM (gesamt): 512 MB
    Hersteller: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Geräte-ID: 0x0a29
    Versions-ID: 0x00a2
    ROM-Version: 3523
    gMux-Version: 1.9.21
    Monitore:
    Farb-LCD:
    Auflösung: 1440 x 900
    Pixeltiefe: 32-Bit Farbe (ARGB8888)
    Synchronisierung: Aus
    Eingeschaltet: Ja
    Integriert: Ja
    DELL 2709W:
    Auflösung: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
    Pixeltiefe: 32-Bit Farbe (ARGB8888)
    Hauptmonitor: Ja
    Synchronisierung: Aus
    Eingeschaltet: Ja
    Rotation: Unterstützt
    Verbindungstyp: DisplayPort

OS Specs:

Systemversion: Mac OS X 10.6.3 (10D2094)
    Kernel-Version: Darwin 10.3.1
    Startvolume: Macintosh HD
    Startmodus: Normal
  • edited April 2010
    I downloaded the demo on my Macbook Pro 2,4 Ghz C2D with Nvidia Geforce 320m.
    I get very strange results on the frame rates. They go up & down like crazy. Lowering the details does not help at all. Lowering the resolution to 1024x768 does not help at all. Then I went to windowed mode, and Voila! Suddenly the game was running smoothly.

But only for a while. A few minutes later the game slowed down again. Odd.

[Edit] Hmmmm.... The problem seems to be the full screen grain effect. After I lowered the graphic settings to 6 and went into windowed mode, the game started running smoothly. Can anyone else confirm this?[/Edit]
  • edited April 2010
    yup, it's what I've been saying a lot (but nobody seems to read my posts :( ), though it's more to do with the shadows than the grain. They get turned off at 6 or below.

If, after a new area loads, you get a low frame rate, switch to windowed and back again briefly.
  • edited April 2010
    teflon wrote: »
    yup, it's what I've been saying a lot (but nobody seems to read my posts :( ), though it's more to do with the shadows than the grain. They get turned off at 6 or below.

If, after a new area loads, you get a low frame rate, switch to windowed and back again briefly.

Shadows, eh?

Yep, that's it. Every time a new area loads, the framerate goes down. Also, some of the unplayable movie scenes slow the game down too. :confused:
  • edited April 2010
    Slightly off topic, but what is sad is that I get better framerates running the PC version in Parallels 5 than I do the Mac version natively.
  • edited April 2010
    I'm pretty sure this is still an issue, since I'm playing through the episode on my MacBook Pro to see just how pretty it really looks compared to my six-year-old PC that can run it at Quality Level 3 at best.

The game defaults to Quality 9, and I'm able to max out the graphic stats just fine in the introduction tutorial with an excellent frame rate. However, once the camera turns to the windows in the spaceship, the frame rate drops like a rock. The game became unplayable when I made it to the streets. The cut scene that should have taken 3 minutes to run actually took 8 minutes to finish because of all the shuttering.

And then my game mysteriously crashed as I was quitting it to post this. Crash Dump and hardware information is in the attached file.
  • edited April 2010
    I'm having the same problem. Running on a two year old MacBook Pro.
  • edited April 2010
    I'm having the same problem. Running on a two year old MacBook Pro. Hopefully they patch this soon. It's driving me crazy.
  • edited April 2010
    In 2 weeks they're going to release the second episode, let's just hope that they have it fixed for that date...
  • edited April 2010
    If not, then I'm glad I can at least run the game on my PC. It may not be as pretty as it could be if I ran it on my Mac, but at least I can play it.
  • edited April 2010
    I hope they sort some of these issues out before Summan-Mak is released. I wanna watch the opening scene Lag-Free.
  • edited May 2010
    Just bought the all new macbook pro core i5, and tried to play the game. It's laggy as hell... even in windowed, even in 1152x720. Apparently, level 6 is indeed the only way to see the street moving in real time... but even if the credits in that configuration runs smoothly, then the whole cutscene in the street with skunkape's ship arrival is still unwatchable.

MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i5
    Max res : 1440x900
    4GB DDR3
    NVidia GeForce GT 330M (256MB)
  • edited May 2010
    I came up with a fix.

Problem:
    When a new scene loads the game slows down because I'm pretty sure it switches to highest level graphic upon load. I verified this by setting my graphic level to 1 and when a new scene loaded it was back to 9 quality graphics -- with stutter. Note that when it switches back to high quality graphics, even if you go to Video Quality Menu (or whatever it is called) it'll still show your graphic level as whatever you set it to (in my case 1).

Solution:
    When a new scene loads go to Video Quality Menu set the quality to whatever you want (1, 5, 6, whatever) select a DIFFERENT screen resolution than what you are using now.

Apply the settings.

Now change the resolution back to what you had before.

Apply the settings.

This will re-apply the graphics for the current scene to whatever you set it to. Go back and enjoy that scene.

Repeat for next scene.

On an unrelated note -- will Sam & Max episodes 1 & 2 be released for Mac soon!? Ever?!

Thanks
  • edited May 2010
    I came up with a fix.

Problem:
    When a new scene loads the game slows down because I'm pretty sure it switches to highest level graphic upon load. I verified this by setting my graphic level to 1 and when a new scene loaded it was back to 9 quality graphics -- with stutter. Note that when it switches back to high quality graphics, even if you go to Video Quality Menu (or whatever it is called) it'll still show your graphic level as whatever you set it to (in my case 1).

Solution:
    When a new scene loads go to Video Quality Menu set the quality to whatever you want (1, 5, 6, whatever) select a DIFFERENT screen resolution than what you are using now.

Apply the settings.

Apply the settings.

This will re-apply the graphics for the current scene to whatever you set it to. Go back and enjoy that scene.

Repeat for next scene.

On an unrelated note -- will Sam & Max episodes 1 & 2 be released for Mac soon!? Ever?!

Thanks

Which Mac do you have? I've tried this but it does nothing for me during the street scene. Inside buildings it will (sometimes) run smoothly after this trick.

I really hope they sort this out, at the very very least, before the Windows 7 RC candidate stops working for good and I have no way to play the rest of the season. Having to keep a timer going to remind myself to save before two hours is up is annoying as is.
  • edited May 2010
    Quite works for me, except the lag doesn't occur in every new scene, and it sometimes (happened to me on the left side of the street) won't change a thing. However, thanks to you I know now how to deal with most of the lags, even if I'm convinced that I shouldn't even experience them in the highest graphic settings, because my mac is quite powerful. (CoreI5, GeForce GT330M)
  • edited May 2010
    I came up with a fix.

Problem:

Solution:

Apply the settings.

Apply the settings.

Repeat for next scene.

Thanks

Wow Thanks for the tip it really helps! It is still annoying how I have to do it every time I enter a big evironment. I hope this means the problem will be easy to fix if the problem is so identifiable. C'MON TELLTALE FIX IT BEFORE SUMMAN-MAN! PLEEEAASEEE I'M BEGGING YOU!!!
  • edited May 2010
    I have a macbook pro from 08 -- the first unibody so its not a powerhouse.

The issue isn't your GPU at all. There is very likely a bug in the rendering engine that tries to render a lot more than the current scene.
  • edited May 2010
    The resetting of the graphics sounds a bit like the game can't write the preference file to disk properly. Is the file read-only or something?
    Or doesn't it work that way on a Mac? I have no idea, I've never used one.
  • edited May 2010
    Even if all these work arounds do work, I sorta feel like the game should just work. I guess it's too late to expect a patch? I already bought the whole season, so I'm pretty disappointed that it runs so poorly. I paid good money for this!
  • edited May 2010
    I am actually considering asking for a refund if Episode 2 isn't fixed. After all, we did pay as much as Windows user and we're getting an inferior product (hell, it's almost unplayable for most users), which doesn't seem right to me. Either you do it the good way, or you avoid doing it at all.
    And yes, I *could* play it under Windows, but I don't want to. I have a Mac, I bought it because it was available for Mac, I'm not compromising. Am I the only one?
  • edited May 2010
    I am actually considering asking for a refund if Episode 2 isn't fixed. After all, we did pay as much as Windows user and we're getting an inferior product (hell, it's almost unplayable for most users), which doesn't seem right to me. Either you do it the good way, or you avoid doing it at all.
    And yes, I *could* play it under Windows, but I don't want to. I have a Mac, I bought it because it was available for Mac, I'm not compromising. Am I the only one?

Nope. I'm playing it on a PC just because it can run it, but I really want to play it on my MAC since it is the graphically more powerful than my PC. I mean, I really want to see this game at its most beautiful setting.

Instead, I have to deal with really bad lighting effects and even worse texture mapping. All for the sake of being able to run the game on a machine that is inferior to how I want to play it.
  • edited May 2010
    Please Do something about this before Summan-muk Telltale!!
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    Ok, we have JUST pushed out a new 302 build for the mac. Like just right now, so it may take a little bit for it to fully propagate to the servers.

This build should feature better performance for Macs. For those of you that had problems with 301 but finished the game anyway (either on Mac or swapping to bootcamp), could you try this new version of 302 and tell us if it fixes your problems? If this doesn't fix everything, then hopefully it will provide us with a lot of feedback so we can improve things further.

TO CHECK IF YOU HAVE THE MOST RECENT VERSION: Right click the 302 .app and check the version number. The new version is 1.0.1.25. Don't trust the version number in the wrapper, it's being stubborn and won't change.
  • edited May 2010
    It fixes the problems. I actually had snagged the previous build before and can say for sure that this one runs a whole lot better. There is still some intermittent slow down when the camera changes (by camera changing, I mean instances like the transition with the projector at the very beginning or between characters in dialogue) but the frame rate goes back up soon after. I haven't done any extensive playing so this is just based on like the first two scenes.

So not quite exactly on par with the PC version but it runs far better than before, very playable.

Will the same treatment be done for Episode 1 soon?
  • edited May 2010
    I have tried both Episode 302 1.0.0.25 and 1.0.1.25 and I can attest that certainly it's a HUGE improvement, thanks!

Playing on my old MacBook Pro on 1024x768 was just great.

I tried pushing the envelope using the native 1440x900 resolution at level 9 graphics, and the new game hanged up just after Sam & Max
    enter the projection
    , but on the other resolution, it was just great.

If you could change Episode 301 to this new version, I would be GREATLY pleased!!!
    Will wrote: »
    Ok, we have JUST pushed out a new 302 build for the mac. Like just right now, so it may take a little bit for it to fully propagate to the servers.

This build should feature better performance for Macs. For those of you that had problems with 301 but finished the game anyway (either on Mac or swapping to bootcamp), could you try this new version of 302 and tell us if it fixes your problems? If this doesn't fix everything, then hopefully it will provide us with a lot of feedback so we can improve things further.

TO CHECK IF YOU HAVE THE MOST RECENT VERSION: Right click the 302 .app and check the version number. The new version is 1.0.1.25. Don't trust the version number in the wrapper, it's being stubborn and won't change.
  • edited May 2010
    I can also confirm that it fixes the problems pretty well! Works almost perfectly on 15" Core i7 MBP at 1920x1200.

It's not silky smooth, but it's completely playable. It's just sad that I (we) had to play through episode 1 in that old version. Doesn't do the game justice. And as you know, justice is what Sam & Max is all about. :D
  • edited May 2010
    Totally smooth for me in 302, native (1440*900) and level 9, where native + level 6 was laggy sometimes on 301 (and level 9 unplayable).
    Great improvement :D Still some audio sync problems and loading lags (especially in the intro), and shadows are a bit weird, but way way better performances indeed :)
  • edited May 2010
    I was using 1.0.0.25 yesterday for about an hour, I was playing it happily at 1400x900 with the details level at 9. The frame rate still drops a bit in the odd place, but completely playable. Just downloading the newest version and will see if that makes any difference.
    Hope you guys can implement these improvements to 301.
  • edited May 2010
    Works very well now, thanks!
  • edited May 2010
    Is it known when 301 will be updated as well?

And how about TOMI?
  • edited May 2010
    taumel wrote: »
    Is it known when 301 will be updated as well?

And how about TOMI?

ToMI runs perfectly, at least it was perfect on my last iMac and still runs perfectly on my new MacBook Pro.
  • edited May 2010
    For what it offers TOMI was too demanding.
  • edited May 2010
    taumel wrote: »
    For what it offers TOMI was too demanding.

Strange, I played it on W7 first, and OS X on the same machine, and performance were almost the same. I don't think you should expect anything… it's not buggy like 301, this is nothing compared to that.
  • edited May 2010
    If i remember things correctly than it just was too slow, i didn't notice it this much as my PC because it is a lot faster than the Mac but there it was quite obvious. Beside of this i remember certain effects like some glowing looking different on the Mac than on the PC.
This discussion has been closed.