Ep 1 graphics/framerate on Mac?

Comments

• edited May 2010
    You can't expect the same rendering, because of OpenGL. Even OpenGL itself runs better on Windows, we all know Apple doesn't care about videogames (at least, didn't before iPhone games success). I think complaining about ToMI now is totally off-topic, it's really nothing compared to the problems of S&M301 (and rendering issues of Season 2).
  • edited May 2010
    I'm not complaining, i just said that things could run faster if beeing optimized and now as Sam&Max is in a convincing shape i wondered if TOMI could benefit from this as well.

I'm not sure if i would agree that OpenGL runs better on Windows, actually it depends on what you want to do and with Apple you at least have a more consistent world. As for the same rendering, obviously you don't get this out of the box but with some additional tweaks you can get the look much closer.
  • edited May 2010
    Yohmi wrote: »
    You can't expect the same rendering, because of OpenGL.

Well that's a complete fallacy. S&M most definitely isn't using any DirectX 10+ features, and OSX's OpenGL implementation (10.6) is pretty close to being OGL 3.0, which would mean it's got all of DX10's capabilities. But as it stands, the OGL in 10.6 can do everything that DX9.0c can do.

The problems lie with the drivers and how OSX handles OGL as a whole compared to Windows, which will always make it slower.

Steam and Valve's games showing up should push Apple a little harder with their drivers, but it's early days yet, and Apple are quite likely to cut and run when it comes to the drivers for older hardware, as they seem to have done with the 7600 GT.
  • edited May 2010
    I've been having problems playing this episode too on my Mac OS X 10.5.8. It is definitely impossible to play on graphic 9, but still lags too much on 1. Even with the window game screen at its smallest, it lags :(. Only the parts with the narrator runs smoothly, then on the street, the game barely moves at all. It's virtually implayable now :(. I hope all this helps.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    Hey Larka, could you check your version number to make sure you are on 1.0.1.25? Also, you are talking about Ep2, right? We haven't patched Ep1 yet.
  • edited May 2010
    I was talking, er , typing about the first episode "The Penal Zone." The version for it is 1.0.0.25. I even downloaded it again when I played the improved version of episode 2 hoping it would change as well, but it was still the same version. I'll just wait till its patched up. Sorry for the inconvenience.
  • edited May 2010
    Will wrote: »
    Hey Larka, could you check your version number to make sure you are on 1.0.1.25? Also, you are talking about Ep2, right? We haven't patched Ep1 yet.

Any ETA on a 301 patch? I shelved the first episode due to the poor performance, so I haven't played through it yet, and don't want to jump to 302 yet.
    edited May 2010
    It's being worked on. Unfortunately this requires a full engine update so it's going to need a thorough test pass, but it shouldn't be too much longer.
  • edited May 2010
    Hopefully, this new engine will also be on the DVD hybrid hard copy. I'd hate for the game to ship with a version that is unplayable on Macs.:(
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    The DVD will be built with the latest versions.
    edited May 2010
    Good news everyone! The updated version is going up now. I'd say give it an hour before you try to download just to make sure it propagates to all of the servers, but the new version should be 1.0.2.25.

This should see some pretty drastic increases in framerate in most situations and you shouldn't see the gradual slowing down that happened going from scene to scene.
  • edited May 2010
    Great! I'll start the download at night!
  • edited May 2010
    I downloaded it now but it's still 1.0.0.25, odd.
    edited May 2010
    Apparently there was a miscommunication and the new build didn't actually get switched on yet. It's going up now. Sorry!
  • edited May 2010
    Ok, thanks.
  • edited May 2010
    Where is this new version of Episode 1 available to download?? I've downloaded it from the Telltale games section and it still seems to be the same slow/skipping MAC version.

Thanks!

Jay
  • edited May 2010
    Still nothing for me.
  • edited May 2010
    jjmkemp wrote: »
    Where is this new version of Episode 1 available to download?? I've downloaded it from the Telltale games section and it still seems to be the same slow/skipping MAC version.

Thanks!

Jay
    Yep, same here.
  • edited May 2010
    Still 1.0.0.25... the fourth time I download it to check...
  • edited May 2010
    Indeed, still 1.0.0.25 - what gives?
  • edited May 2010
    Jeaz wrote: »
    Indeed, still 1.0.0.25 - what gives?

That's strange. I've downloaded the episode again yesterday and I got the new version. The server must have a switching back and forth disorder or something.:confused:
  • edited May 2010
    Larka, did you download it from http://www.telltalegames.com/mytelltale/purchases ?
    edited May 2010
    Hey guys, I just cleared out my internet cache and downloaded it from my purchases, and it is definitely showing the right version to me. It may just be that your computer is trying to redownload the cached version? Could you try clearing your cache and trying again?
  • edited May 2010
    Finally got it to download at a different location.
  • edited May 2010
    Wizpig wrote: »
    Larka, did you download it from http://www.telltalegames.com/mytelltale/purchases ?

Yes I did. Why?
  • edited May 2010
    Cleared my cache, downloaded 301 from "My Purchase" one hour ago, and it’s still 1.0.0.25 when I read the CMD+i panel from the DMG. I copied the game on my hard drive, launched it, the launcher says it’s 1.0.0.19 in its lower left corner. I launched the game, it’s unplayable like the original download.

(and a CMD+i on the DMG file itself shows 2010年4月16日 as creating date, and http://telltale.vo.llnwd.net/o15/games/samandmax/301/SamMax301_Mac_Setup.dmg as download location)
  • edited May 2010
    I'm having the same problem as Yohmi. I tried downloading 301 a couple of times and I keep getting version 1.0.0.25. The download location was also http://telltale.vo.llnwd.net/o15/games/samandmax/301/SamMax301_Mac_Setup.dmg
  • edited May 2010
    Just want to say steam updated the game for me yesterday so a big thanks and well done. Its totally fixed for me.
  • edited May 2010
    I got the new 301 through Steam yesterday night, but I haven't tried again the download directly from Telltale.

It's playable alright, a HUGE improvement, although not precisely at Usain Bolt's speed... at least I got to the beginning of the playable game (when
    Skunkape's ship arrives
    ).
    edited May 2010
    Ok, if people are still having caching problems, we will just rename the file and force the update. Sorry everyone!
  • edited May 2010
    There is something off here, for sure. I tested by downloading Chrome (which I never use), went to TT the first thing I did, downloaded and still got 1.0.0.25
    edited May 2010
    Ok, ONE MORE TIME. If you download the file now, it should be called SamMax301_Mac_newsetup.dmg. That should get rid of any pesky cache problems.
  • edited May 2010
    Will wrote: »
    Ok, ONE MORE TIME. If you download the file now, it should be called SamMax301_Mac_newsetup.dmg. That should get rid of any pesky cache problems.

It's working now! I've just downloaded version 1.0.2.25
  • edited May 2010
    Got it now, thanks Will.
  • edited May 2010
    Link working, game working, thank you very much :)
  • edited May 2010
    Finally I can play at 9@1080p with nice framerate.
  • edited May 2010
    Popping in to say this update resolved my crash issues with the title sequence. (Link to the other thread for posterity) Hooray, huzzah, and thanks muchly for the fix! :D
  • edited May 2010
    Caches and Proxies can be sooo good! :O)
  • edited May 2010
    For the record, most of this problem has to do with ISPs caching items on the web into their servers, and then giving the users their cached version to reduce their cost of bandwidth. The problem really only happen when their caching system is poorly implemented, and doesn't check often for updated versions.
  • edited June 2010
    is the updated version going on Steam as well?
This discussion has been closed.