The "whatever's on your mind" thread

Comments

• edited December 2011
    Hayden wrote: »
    *your

Why, thank you. That was a silly mistake I made, indeed!
    Hayden wrote: »
    A bot, I think.

Exactly why I asked. :P
  • edited December 2011
    Hmmm.. Since I've broken up for Christmas, and I'm free tomorrow. I think I may start a new project.

Maybe pick up one of those ideas I've come up with over this year, or even come up with something new.

Maybe make a little something. Maybe something Christmassy.
    Would be nice to make a little Christmas game.

EDIT: I got it! Lets make a little adventure game! A christmas one! :D

I got the perfect one to do. A Christmas Shoes parody!

Play as X to do everything to get present Y for their sick Z.

EDIT 2: Hmm... need something that rhymes with Shoes...

Booze maybe..
    Christmas Booze?
    Play as Crazy Jim the Hobo, that needs to get a bottle of wine for his sick dog Beano.
    "Its hish lasst Christmash!"
    "Ah, you say that every year, but the mangy mutt still standing"
    "No Really! He's on his last legs! Look at him!"
    *Dog whines then farts*
    "Phoor! He certainly smells like he's had it!"

Clicks on ugly shoes.
    "Shoes?! Why do I wanna get Ssshoes? I gotta get ssome Vino for m'Beano!
    Some Hooch for my Pooch!
    Some Beer for my... errr Dog!"
    "Besides, only Smelly Pete dresses up his dog all lady like! (He need to get out more...)"

Ooze?

Maybe need to keep the shoes...

EDIT 3: Actually, I like that Booze idea. Could do a lot of zany stuff with that.
  • edited December 2011
    I chugged an eighth of a botthle of Jack just now to the A-Team theme song for my fiancee's amusal. Did I a win guys?
    I just chugged an eighth of a bottle of Maker's Mark just now to the A-Team theme song for my fiancee's amusal. Did I a win guys?

Everybody wins! You two are made for each other!

One thing I've never tried is mixing Jack Daniel's and Maker's Mark with each other. I wonder what that would be like.
  • edited December 2011
    You know what would make a good story Bruce Wayne and the Prisoner of Azkaban!
  • edited December 2011
    I need to stop using the fast forward feature in The Sims 3, I keep seeing everything as if it's still in fast forward and I need to slow it down.
  • edited December 2011
    coolsome wrote: »

Or Jack the Ripper and the students of High School Musical.
    GaryCXJk wrote: »
    I need to stop using the fast forward feature in The Sims 3, I keep seeing everything as if it's still in fast forward and I need to slow it down.
    getsomenuts.jpg

"Damn Sims, they all got the need to abuse the evil Speed these days! Someone best be giving those virtual fools some downers."

"They all be getting crazy; taking that evil nectar, surrounding themselves wit' cardboard boxes and eventually drowing in a pool of their own stinkin' urine, the damn suckas!"

"Those fools should've eaten some Snickers instead of taking Speed. Ya hear that kids?! Get some nuts!"
  • edited December 2011

Fallout: New Hogwarts.
  • edited December 2011
    I want to write a story that has an asshole who eventually get killed. Make it seem like his death will be a redeeming moment, him sacrificing himself for the team.

His final words will be "My only regret... is not kicking EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOUR ASSES WHILE I HAD THE CHANCE!"
  • edited December 2011
    So, I have a battery backup thing for my computer that's fairly new. When I play The Old Republic, however, it constantly beeps like it's got no power. The manual says that means it's overdrawn on power, but... the PC is literally the only thing plugged in to it. Any thoughts?
  • edited December 2011
    Just spent the last 5 hours doing bug testing to find the source of a software conflict. AND I'M NOT GETTING PAID FOR THAT RESEARCH EITHER!!

*sigh* At least the player community is now aware of it, those that read what I post that is...

...the things I do for a company that treats the majority of its consumers like crap... If it wasn't for that one person in the corporate office who actually got off of their high horse and helped me out with a very simple question, then I would have been long gone.
  • edited December 2011
    I love how no one here seems to care about SOPA and the rapid onset of American fascism.
  • edited December 2011
    I love how no one here seems to care about SOPA and the rapid onset of American fascism.

I care! But also, finals. I'm trying not to think about depressing politics until after my final on history of the Middle East.

...let me rephrase that. Depressing AMERICAN politics. Depressing Middle Eastern politics are just fine.
  • edited December 2011
    I care! But also, finals. I'm trying not to think about depressing politics until after my final on history of the Middle East.

...let me rephrase that. Depressing AMERICAN politics. Depressing Middle Eastern politics are just fine.

But aren't ALL Middle Eastern politics depressing? The best they can do is catch up in terms of rights. That's their equivalent of progress.
  • edited December 2011
    It's almost as if some of us don't feel like SOPA signifies the end of the United States, democracy, and freedom as we know it.

Stupid laws get overturned. Either repealed by the next Congress, vetoed by the President, or found unconstitutional by the Supreme Court.

I for one can't see Obama signing this thing, and even if he did it so blatantly flies in the face of the 1st Amendment that I can't see it standing up to the inevitable Supreme Court hearings that will occur as soon as it's passed and someone abuses it.
  • edited December 2011
    But aren't ALL Middle Eastern politics depressing? The best they can do is catch up in terms of rights. That's their equivalent of progress.

Some of them aren't. Like the Arab Spring. I mean, it's stories like the recent revolutions that make you realize that the people are really quite fantastic when they get riled. I mean, we have a revolution where LAWYERS are out protesting. Revolutions in suits, the classiest kind.
  • edited December 2011
    You sound pretty naive right now. The fact is that this shit sandwich of a law has corporate and bipartisan support. Politically speaking, Obama would be a fool not to sign it into law. With the NDAA due to be signed into law by Obama as well, the notion of a free America is quite well on its way to being dead and buried.

Can you seriously name one of our ten amendments in the Bill of Rights that hasn't been asterisked by some piece of bullshit legislation? Let me clarify this:

*First Amendment – Establishment Clause, Free Exercise Clause; freedom of speech, of the press, and of assembly; right to petition
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. (Aside from SOPA, the NDAA provides the military with the ability to detain protesters without due process indefinitely. Further, the government has implicitely acknowledged the existence of a deity in our supposed national motto, "In God We Trust.")

*Second Amendment – Militia (United States), Sovereign state, Right to keep and bear arms.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. (Don't even get me started on the bullshit gun laws in place.)

*Third Amendment – Protection from quartering of troops.
    No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law. (The NDAA declares America - in essence - a battlefield. A presidential order could easily see troops quartered in your home should local command feel it prudent.)

*Fourth Amendment – Protection from unreasonable search and seizure.
    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized. (PATRIOT ACT, NDAA, SOPA, PIPA, et al)

*Fifth Amendment – due process, double jeopardy, self-incrimination, eminent domain.
    No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation. (The PATRIOT ACT essentially destroyed this amendment.)

*Sixth Amendment – Trial by jury and rights of the accused; Confrontation Clause, speedy trial, public trial, right to counsel
    In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence. (See the NDAA and the PATRIOT ACT)

*Seventh Amendment – Civil trial by jury.
    In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise re-examined in any court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law. (Again, see the NDAA and the PATRIOT ACT.)

*Eighth Amendment – Prohibition of excessive bail and cruel and unusual punishment.
    Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted. (Once again, NDAA.)

*Ninth Amendment – Protection of rights not specifically enumerated in the Constitution.
    The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people. (Intact on paper. I am less than inspired by the ability of the government to see to this in practice.)

*Tenth Amendment – Powers of States and people.
    The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people. (The rise in federal power over the history of the United States has effectively rendered us a unitary state with federalistic features. The notion of a state going against the will of Washington is now an absurdity.)

So you see, it is not altogether ridiculous to suppose that we are no longer a free nation as it stands. Though this may be hyperbolic to some, I feel the inevitable passage of SOPA is just one more nail in the coffin of American Liberty. The sooner we rise up as one people and take Washington to task for their betrayal of the freedom of the sovereign People of this nation, the better.

Some of them aren't. Like the Arab Spring. I mean, it's stories like the recent revolutions that make you realize that the people are really quite fantastic when they get riled. I mean, we have a revolution where LAWYERS are out protesting. Revolutions in suits, the classiest kind.

You have a point there. Actually, we could learn from them. More specifically, we could learn from Libya.
  • edited December 2011
    Scnew wrote: »
    It's almost as if some of us don't feel like SOPA signifies the end of the United States, democracy, and freedom as we know it.

Stupid laws get overturned. Either repealed by the next Congress, vetoed by the President, or found unconstitutional by the Supreme Court.

I for one can't see Obama signing this thing, and even if he did it so blatantly flies in the face of the 1st Amendment that I can't see it standing up to the inevitable Supreme Court hearings that will occur as soon as it's passed and someone abuses it.

I'm just waiting to go to jail because of this law. At least then I won't have to worry about rent or budget food, as well as not have to worry about not getting paid for doing 6 hours of bug testing and data collecting.
  • edited December 2011
    Zeek wrote: »
    I'm just waiting to go to jail because of this law. At least then I won't have to worry about rent or budget food, as well as not have to worry about not getting paid for doing 6 hours of bug testing and data collecting.

The fact that we can even joke about jail being a place where one can be assured proper living conditions shows how broken things are in this country.
  • edited December 2011
    I predict the law will get repealed when the prisons get all filled up with college students and the progress of the country comes to a complete standstill. I mean, most pirates aren't horrible evil people not contributing to society. Most are students getting a degree who also have no money. And they're the ones who will probably get arrested.
  • edited December 2011
    I predict the law will get repealed when the prisons get all filled up with college students and the progress of the country comes to a complete standstill. I mean, most pirates aren't horrible evil people not contributing to society. Most are students getting a degree who also have no money. And they're the ones who will probably get arrested.

And it will be replaced by more corporate welfare and more handouts to lobbyists. The fact that this bill even exists is a testament to how irrevocably broken the government is.
  • edited December 2011
    SOPA is not going to pass.
  • edited December 2011
    How do you figure? It's a bipartisan bill written by corporate America and the news has been mum on its poisonous realities, thus keeping non-Internet types from being upset about it.

Really, Obama would be foolish not to sign it into law when it inevitably passes.
  • edited December 2011
    How do you figure? It's a bipartisan bill written by corporate America and the news has been mum on its poisonous realities, thus keeping non-Internet types from being upset about it.
    "non-internet types?" Like who? My aunt who can't figure out how to sign into her Nook so she can purchase new books to read? (Seriously, she had that thing for a month before going back to hard copies.) Or do you mean like my dad who knows of the internet but asks me to do all his Google searches for him since he can't be bothered to find time to learn how to use it himself? Or do you mean like my mother who uses the internet but doesn't use things like YouTube outside of viewing some clip of a cat or baby her co-workers sent her?
  • edited December 2011
    I think he means people who actually vote.
  • edited December 2011
    Welp, in that case, I guess I'm off to jail then. Screw it being over populated; apparently I'm a felon now because I cross posted an episode of Game Theory that used Final Fantasy images to talk about how Shinra is just like OPEC.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm sure they'll just fine you a few hundred grand instead. Don't worry.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think either of you grasp the severity of this insidious legislation.
  • edited December 2011

You're right. I haven't been overly following it. The only effect it will have on me, as a non-american, are the websites I visit which aren't my whole world. I hope for the best and all I see is this thing which is being constantly amended without being passed. I can't do anything about it, I can't sign petitions and I can't email my congressman. All I can do is just watch.
  • edited December 2011

No, I do. It's just I'm not in a position where I can do anything about it, especially when votes can be bought and the popular majority is only as powerful as how much money you "donate" to the candidate you vote for.

The idea of "one person, one vote" is dead to me in this country. Oh, sure, we like to think it is whenever we see an election going on in Iran or Kuwait. And maybe it does work and I'm just being a cynical bastard.

But with issues like these? Simply voting down won't work. Not re-electing the Senator who bought their way into Congress won't work.

No, what I would love to do, what I would seriously LOVE to do, right now is to hold each and everyone one of them at gun point and explain to them how they are screwing up the country for their own selfish reasons. I would love nothing short of a public hanging of the 93 idiots that voted "yes" on the damn bill that would make it legal to arrest me just for saying what I just said under the charge of treason against the people of the country. I would be delighted if the people associated with these idiots were also killed just because they indirectly influenced them in making said choice to strip away the fundamental foundations of what is suppose to make our country great. I would be overjoyed if the end result was the destruction of this government, because you know what?

It doesn't work. And it needs to die.
  • edited December 2011
    Me and all my colleagues just got a Christmas bonus of 5000 Danish Kroner, we all got very surprised.
  • edited December 2011
    Wow. Nintendo chose a great selection of GBA titles to give to us ambassadors.
    I own most of them, but the 3 of the 4 I don't are fantastic games.

All of them should provide people with hundreds of hours of fun.
    The only bad one of the bunch is F-Zero.

Its a shame Nintendo didn't give us GP Legend instead, as that was clearly superior.
    (But I should imagine when they do eventually get round to virtual console GBA games, that will be one of the first ones...)

I can play GBA games on my Caanoo anyway, but its nice to have a legit backup.
    Plus my Caanoo's battery life isn't exactly great...
  • edited December 2011
    Zeek wrote: »
    No, I do. It's just I'm not in a position where I can do anything about it, especially when votes can be bought and the popular majority is only as powerful as how much money you "donate" to the candidate you vote for.

The idea of "one person, one vote" is dead to me in this country. Oh, sure, we like to think it is whenever we see an election going on in Iran or Kuwait. And maybe it does work and I'm just being a cynical bastard.

But with issues like these? Simply voting down won't work. Not re-electing the Senator who bought their way into Congress won't work.

No, what I would love to do, what I would seriously LOVE to do, right now is to hold each and everyone one of them at gun point and explain to them how they are screwing up the country for their own selfish reasons. I would love nothing short of a public hanging of the 93 idiots that voted "yes" on the damn bill that would make it legal to arrest me just for saying what I just said under the charge of treason against the people of the country. I would be delighted if the people associated with these idiots were also killed just because they indirectly influenced them in making said choice to strip away the fundamental foundations of what is suppose to make our country great. I would be overjoyed if the end result was the destruction of this government, because you know what?

It doesn't work. And it needs to die.

You know what? You, sir or madame, have won yourself a friend in me. Our views seem to coincide on this matter quite nicely. Kudos.
  • edited December 2011
    8s6Ro.png
  • edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    One of these days Telltale should make that freakign Max' Severed Head hat available for sale, because I'm really goddamn tired of all those motherfucking beggars on my motherfucking chat.

And to troll them, make it $1000 or something.

DAISHI wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2uZjtAkN38
  • edited December 2011
    GaryCXJk wrote: »
    One of these days Telltale should make that freakign Max' Severed Head hat available for sale, because I'm really goddamn tired of all those motherfucking beggars on my motherfucking chat.
    You could always actually trade it in a reputable community for these things. For me, Skyrim and the pack of other games I got was well worth not having to deal with trade vultures anymore. Alternatively, you could give them to me for my birthday in a week. =P
  • edited December 2011
    DAISHI wrote: »

I agree with DAISHI.

From what I've been reading, many people in Congress realize just how stifling this bill would be to the technology sector of American industry. This, for reasons not the least of which is that ISP's would be forceably required to actively police the activities of each and every user who pays for their services, which would be prohibitively expensive to implement.

Further, Network Address Translation (ie. connecting domain names to IP addresses) filtering does not equal IP blocking. So long as pirates know the IP's of pirate websites, they're going to be able to pirate anyway, so the only thing NAT filtering will accomplish is to ruin the net for the rest of us.
  • edited December 2011
    It won't even really ruin the net for the rest of us, since if any site we liked got blocked we could always just look up the IP address as well. It's the really casual internet surfers who like to show clips of movies on youtube who would be screwed over.
  • edited December 2011
    I want to lead a villain group!
  • edited December 2011
    I want to lead a villain group!

I'll set up the response...

A villain group? To what end?
This discussion has been closed.